Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Give Mona the +10 luck accessory. 70% of the time it works all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

ApplesandOranges posted:

Is there actually a lower accuracy baked into Lucky/Miracle Punch? I'm sure I've heard 'Mona! AIM!' more than any other character quip other than weakness knock-downs.

I've never had it miss, but that's balanced by the fact that I've never seen it crit, either.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Deified Data posted:

I've never had it miss, but that's balanced by the fact that I've never seen it crit, either.

Miracle Punch is what got me through the second half of Kamoshida's Palace when I ran out of SP. It kept critting against the level 16 Justice Persona, letting me all out attack it.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
One thing I really appreciate in this game is that the team constantly feels like a group of equals and you see everyone frequently.

In Persona 4, by comparison, once you finished a social link with someone like Chie, she was still around but her contributions to the team conversations were minimal at best, so if you didn't have her in your Dungeon team you barely saw her. I just unlocked the 5th dungeon and I feel like all of the team members are very present and contributing.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

DO IT TO IT posted:

drat, you guys were right, Haru is super disappointed if you don't ask her out. Made me feel like a jerk.

I mean you're basically everything she's looking for in a relationship and you're like naaaah.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Mordiceius posted:

One thing I really appreciate in this game is that the team constantly feels like a group of equals and you see everyone frequently.

In Persona 4, by comparison, once you finished a social link with someone like Chie, she was still around but her contributions to the team conversations were minimal at best, so if you didn't have her in your Dungeon team you barely saw her. I just unlocked the 5th dungeon and I feel like all of the team members are very present and contributing.

I agree with this for the most part save for maybe Ann. She sort of disappears once you get Makoto and Yusuke and only gets pushed back further you go. Ryuji manages to stay relevant because nobody comes close to his role in the group.

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Oh, lighten up Mr. Dooms-and-Gloom, "embezzle" is metal.
I run with Ann Makoto and Yusuke most of the time switching Yusuke out for Ryuji or Ann out for Haru ocacsionally. Ann loving owns though her nukes are super good and she can heal not sure why she is bad at all.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Ann is basically the humanizing factor of the group. Makoto and Yusuke also fill that role to some degree, but for the most part Ann manages to actually have the sense of 'hey I don't feel good about this' which is a good angle to take. It also gives reasons for Makoto or Ryuji to give their contrasting opinion.

So in a way Ann is like the Yosuke where she doesn't make a lot of pivotal decisions, but her musings allow a natural progression of the conversations and plans.

Scorps posted:

I run with Ann Makoto and Yusuke most of the time switching Yusuke out for Ryuji or Ann out for Haru ocacsionally. Ann loving owns though her nukes are super good and she can heal not sure why she is bad at all.

Ann is actually pretty great, she's just ride or die with her SP and kinda dependent on the enemy not resisting Fire.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Scorps posted:

She doesn't have healing or buffing utility like Makoto/Morgana/Haru/Ryuji and is super SP intensive to run for most of the game where Haru/Ryuji can exceed her damage output using physical skills and Makoto can match it until Ann gets concentrate.

She isn't bad so much as Ryuji/Haru/Makoto are just really good and don't have some of her drawbacks.

You can totally use whoever you want though and she's still good. You'll just need more SP items for her, especially late game.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Scorps posted:

Also Dormina / Tentafoo is great when I need to disable an enemy *right now* because if they get a turn there's a significant chance I wipe.

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Oh, lighten up Mr. Dooms-and-Gloom, "embezzle" is metal.
I am a bad Persona player and don't use buffs and debuffs because they don't do damage OK. Actually that's something I should probably work on but so far it's been working just fine (post Palace 5 ATM)

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Natural progression wise, Ann beats out Makoto as a nuker since she learns all the relevant skills faster, has higher raw Magic, and Tarunda is miles better than ordinary Rakukaja. Around palace 6, when Makoto starts to catch up in terms of skills, Makoto starts to shine more since she's more durable and Psy is a rarer weakness than Ice. Matarunda doesn't stack with Debilitate either, so once you get that then Makoto is the better choice for shoring up defenses.

The flipside is that Ann gets Concentrate, and if you're benching Morgana then Makoto might be busy with too many things at once. But no reason why you can't run both.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

i use stuff like brainwash/forget but i never use "nullify stat increase" or whatever

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

My Ann has some weapon that gives a medium chance of inflicting Forget on enemies by using physical attacks, so if she's not burning things alive she's preventing them from using spells.

I don't think I've come across an enemy yet that nulls physical AND fire attacks too, so she usually has something to do when I send her out in battle.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Worse comes to worse she can debuff the enemies attack.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Ann gets a single target full heal, Blazing Hell, Fire Boost + Amp and Concentrate so she's pretty much the poo poo in a fight.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Apr 25, 2017

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Scorps posted:

I am a bad Persona player and don't use buffs and debuffs because they don't do damage OK. Actually that's something I should probably work on but so far it's been working just fine (post Palace 5 ATM)

Ann being a reliable source of Tarunda is why she has a permanent spot on my boss-killing team.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

My MC ended up the support character again just like in P4 dishing out debilitate and heat riser while Ryuji and Yusuke did physical damage. Makoto would be full healer mixed with regular attacks (because her best weapon' s crit rate is insane) and doing nuke spells because it's rarely resisted.

Makoto' s best gun also gives +10 to all stats. It's stupid good.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Harlock posted:

Makoto' s best gun also gives +10 to all stats. It's stupid good.
Yo how do you get this gun?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Raxivace posted:

Yo how do you get this gun?

Send Michael to the electric chair.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

My favorite endgame party on Hard is Makoto, Ryuji, and Haru:
  • Makoto is more generally useful than Morgana. Even for a boss fight, when Makoto probably won't have time to nuke too often, her ability to cast Marakukaja is fantastic because it saves Joker from needing to spend time applying that. Sure, she can't revive and has limited ability to remove status effects, but Takemi sells enough items to cover those bases that I don't mind.
  • Ryuji is Ryuji and exists to cast Matarukaja and then make huge numbers appear.
  • Haru is a surprisingly heavy hitter with gun skills once she gets Snipe and Cripple. I wish she had Masukukaja so that there weren't any buffs Joker had to worry about applying, but she hits harder than Yusuke so she gets the slot over him. Plus, she can apply Tetrakarn and Makarakarn, which can be really helpful in some fights, and letting her apply them saves Joker some SP (and saves Physical/Magical Ointments for emergencies). She can Heat Riser but I'm not convinced that's as useful as Debilitate--single-target buffs are kinda :shrug:.
Part of it just comes down to what you want Joker to be responsible for. Obviously, every Persona protagonist has the important job of applying Debilitate, and he's also likely to be your strongest attacker (thanks, Yoshitsune!), so you probably want him to spend as few turns as possible applying buffs or healing. I could actually see a coherent argument for putting Yusuke in Haru's slot specifically so Joker has one more turn to Charge or attack instead of casting Masukukaja. That might make up for his lower personal damage compared to Haru, because it lets Joker attack slightly more often.

Ann probably gains some extra usefulness in Merciless, where her ability to apply a couple of status ailments means she can help set up Technical hits on enemies vulnerable to those ailments. I'm actually not sure whether she outdamages Haru or not, but if she does, I could also see her going in that party slot if you don't really care about Haru's reflects. Her Matarunda isn't all that useful by endgame because most fights with dangerous enemies or bosses have only one target you really need to debuff, and Debilitate has that covered. It's a pretty great debuff in the mid-game, though.

Sadly, I just don't see much use for Morgana. If you really need a Salvation bot or you can't afford to just have a few Life Ointments/Beads of Life on hand, you're doing something terribly wrong.

That said, up through endgame, I thought the game did a pretty great job of making party members situationally useful. For example, the fourth and fifth Palaces really made me want to use Morgana. Both had a good amount of enemies who were weak to wind, especially during the mini-bosses and the boss fight, so Morgana was really useful there. Yusuke was really helpful in the fourth Palace because there were a lot of enemies weak to ice.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Apr 25, 2017

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The best part of any fight is when that line syncs up with the start of an All-Out Attack :allears:.

This does remind me of one complaint I have with the battle system: interrupting Last Surprise when you get a Hold Up. I think they should drop the music change down a level so that it doesn't change tracks until you select one of the negotiation options, so that when you're otherwise trying to go straight into an all-out attack, there's no interruption.

There's a couple of battles (bosses, of course, but also a few scripted regular battles) where there's no music transitions at all, and it sounds way better.

Namnesor fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Apr 25, 2017

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

Ann probably gains some extra usefulness in Merciless, where her ability to apply a couple of status ailments means she can help set up Technical hits on enemies vulnerable to those ailments. I'm actually not sure whether she outdamages Haru or not, but if she does, I could also see her going in that party slot if you don't really care about Haru's reflects. Her Matarunda isn't all that useful by endgame because most fights with dangerous enemies or bosses have only one target you really need to debuff, and Debilitate has that covered. It's a pretty great debuff in the mid-game, though.

Ann shines for everything that involves multiple foes in the last dungeon.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
You already can initiate an AOA before the options appear, so the music never changes.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Dragonatrix posted:

You already can initiate an AOA before the options appear, so the music never changes.

Nah, if you do that the music still cuts out for a split second and fades back in.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

So, this might be a dumb question about valentine's, but

Since you get a chocolate from the girl you do spend a romantic evening with and one from Sojiro the next day if you got beaten to a pulp, does that mean you have two chocolates for NG+?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

ChaosArgate posted:

So, this might be a dumb question about valentine's, but

Since you get a chocolate from the girl you do spend a romantic evening with and one from Sojiro the next day if you got beaten to a pulp, does that mean you have two chocolates for NG+?

Being with multiple girls gets you one from Sojiro, and that's it, you scumbag

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
I really love how every confidant you get flash forwards to the interrogation - it really helps show the point to show how much each person really helped the Phantom Thieves and wasn't just something like "my friend from class!"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Count Bleck posted:

Being with multiple girls gets you one from Sojiro, and that's it, you scumbag

That's not entirely right. You also get the gift of a near-fatal beating from every girl you cheated on. Nothing like bringing friends together on a special holiday for a common purpose :v:.

Capsaicin posted:

I really love how every confidant you get flash forwards to the interrogation - it really helps show the point to show how much each person really helped the Phantom Thieves and wasn't just something like "my friend from class!"

A lot of them are actually helping too. The general implication of the Sun confidant in the interview flash-forward is he's why the prose in the Calling Cards is far too elegant for a bunch of high-schoolers. Or you had a grey-market connection for weapons and gear (Hanged Man).

Even just "who taught you how to use a gun?" (Tower) or "where did you learn such advanced strategic tactics to pull off complex heists?" (Sun)

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Apr 25, 2017

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

So you don't keep the one from the night before then?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

ChaosArgate posted:

So you don't keep the one from the night before then?

What night before? You're definitely 100% not with anyone the night before.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Capsaicin posted:

I just especially like how social links give very tangible and very important boons to the team.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mordiceius posted:

I just especially like how social links give very tangible and very important boons to the team.

My only complaint is it's a little obvious after the first time it happens that they're all going to figure out you're a Phantom Thief, but that's pretty unavoidable and necessary for the finale. Plus it explains the high/end-Confidant skills a bit if they're in the know like getting a massage on-demand.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Neddy Seagoon posted:

A lot of them are actually helping too. The general implication of the Sun confidant in the interview flash-forward is he's why the prose in the Calling Cards is far too elegant for a bunch of high-schoolers. Or you had a grey-market connection for weapons and gear (Hanged Man).

Even just "who taught you how to use a gun?" (Tower) or "where did you learn such advanced strategic tactics to pull off complex heists?" (Sun)

Yeah, it's super rad. I really love a lot of the little touches in this game. One of my favorite things is when you get a text in class and you see Ann putting her phone away too. There's not a lot of developers/designers who would put just little things like that in their game.

Question: I just finished Palace 3, is there a way to get better plant food?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
what does takemi means when she says it's not allowed in this country

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I use most of the party members since they finally give the backbenchers XP in this one (granted you need to level moon for that)

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Capsaicin posted:

Yeah, it's super rad. I really love a lot of the little touches in this game. One of my favorite things is when you get a text in class and you see Ann putting her phone away too. There's not a lot of developers/designers who would put just little things like that in their game.

Question: I just finished Palace 3, is there a way to get better plant food?

The best plant food is in the Shinjuku flower shop, it gives you three notes

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

How does dating in NG+ work? Can I date a girl who I already Rank 10'd and shot down?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

How does dating in NG+ work? Can I date a girl who I already Rank 10'd and shot down?

It's a clean slate as far as plot decisions go. None of that poo poo ever happened.

You start social links from scratch. Though you retain some of their bonuses from special key items that carry over between playthroughs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Saint Freak posted:

What night before? You're definitely 100% not with anyone the night before.

I was helping Sojiro out at the shop actually. Ask him, he'll tell you.