Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

So my Samsung('d) microsd card died. Guess GPM deleting my downloaded music was a precursor. It's pretty new so I'm going to try to warranty it.

Lost my podcasts, music, and my photos.

Extremely thankful for syncing of all sorts. Don't have to worry about losing my place on my podcasts with Pocket Casts. Nothing lost with GPM, and praise the lord that Google Photos finally started working again. All photos backed up at original quality.

gently caress SD cards, gently caress yeah cloud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

dont be mean to me posted:

He doesn't consider 130mm diagonal small.
Same size as an iPhone 7 (non plus)

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

McOgre posted:

I've had Greenify for a while. The app reloading issue has been going on about a week (been waiting for the weekend to reset the phone, but then realized I could try asking the thread in a last ditch effort), and the only thing that really changed recently was that I installed Intuit's QuickBooks app a few weeks ago.

Then just remove it for now. If you're resigned to reset the phone anyway, you might as well try that first.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Femur posted:

Also, have people switched back to gvoice from hangout? Gvoice looks ok after the last update, but hesitating cause i have a lot of history on hangout.

I did because you know it's going to happen sooner or later anyway, why not be done with it? That said, I don't have a ton of history there, just voicemail which isn't lost.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Jigoku posted:

So my Samsung('d) microsd card died. Guess GPM deleting my downloaded music was a precursor. It's pretty new so I'm going to try to warranty it.

Lost my podcasts, music, and my photos.

Extremely thankful for syncing of all sorts. Don't have to worry about losing my place on my podcasts with Pocket Casts. Nothing lost with GPM, and praise the lord that Google Photos finally started working again. All photos backed up at original quality.

As a embedded engineer, I too say gently caress SD cards.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Jigoku posted:

There is no cloud, it's just someone else's SD card

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

clamiam45 posted:

I have had my Galaxy S8+ since Friday. Until yesterday I was using it without my typical TPU case. For some perhaps unnecessary context, I'm coming from a Galaxy S6. My only complaint at all about the phone is that before the case it felt a little too thin and hard to hold, but now I'm totally in love. I've had no lag, the fingerprint scanner location is perfect, the camera is excellent, the battery life is excellent, the screen is beautiful. The iris scanner is a game-changing feature for me. It works immediately when I turn my phone on. It's so fast that half the time I don't even see my lock screen. (It unlocks so fast that the screen turns on to my home screen if I remember to look at the sensor.) It works indoors, outdoors, with or without my glasses, and in very dark conditions.

This phone's a great buy. I can't recommend it enough. I even remapped the bixby button to something useful!

I can't really call it a complaint -- more of a quibble -- but this is my only remaining issue with the software:

Can you post a screenshot of the graph that shows dropped frames during use?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

clamiam45 posted:

The iris scanner is a game-changing feature for me. It works immediately when I turn my phone on. It's so fast that half the time I don't even see my lock screen. (It unlocks so fast that the screen turns on to my home screen if I remember to look at the sensor.) It works indoors, outdoors, with or without my glasses, and in very dark conditions.

As someone who was in a biometrics lab in grad school, this sounds an awful lot like a huge false positive rate, given how far from your eye you're likely holding the phone and the large variety of conditions it "works" under. Unless Samsung is way ahead of academic research, I would stop using that immediately.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Is there any way for me to turn the iris scanner camera off? It's like when you accidentally open the front-facing camera and get a terrible view of your face at a not-so-photogenic angle, plus it's really goofy seeing my eyeballs pop up on the lock screen.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

clamiam45 posted:

I have had my Galaxy S8+ since Friday. Until yesterday I was using it without my typical TPU case. For some perhaps unnecessary context, I'm coming from a Galaxy S6. My only complaint at all about the phone is that before the case it felt a little too thin and hard to hold, but now I'm totally in love. I've had no lag, the fingerprint scanner location is perfect, the camera is excellent, the battery life is excellent, the screen is beautiful. The iris scanner is a game-changing feature for me. It works immediately when I turn my phone on. It's so fast that half the time I don't even see my lock screen. (It unlocks so fast that the screen turns on to my home screen if I remember to look at the sensor.) It works indoors, outdoors, with or without my glasses, and in very dark conditions.

This phone's a great buy. I can't recommend it enough. I even remapped the bixby button to something useful!

I can't really call it a complaint -- more of a quibble -- but this is my only remaining issue with the software:

Can you print out a picture of your face featuring your eye and try to unlock it with that?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
So, I haven't been paying attention to phones, but I might upgrade this year sometime? I'm really strongly considering dipping back into Android, because you generally get better overall value in the cost:performance ratio of the device, and almost the only thing that I rely on the ios ecosystem for is podcast aggregation.

So, two questions. First: does Android have a decent podcast app yet? I used Doggcatcher a few years ago, and at least at the time it was kinda janky.

Second: What's the goon opinion on good phones right now? I'm not actively opposed to the S8, but I was unimpressed by the samsung bloatware that came on my old s5, and the reviews on the pixel and nexus seem kinda mixed. I ask because the OP appears to be old as hell.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

deadly_pudding posted:

So, I haven't been paying attention to phones, but I might upgrade this year sometime? I'm really strongly considering dipping back into Android, because you generally get better overall value in the cost:performance ratio of the device, and almost the only thing that I rely on the ios ecosystem for is podcast aggregation.

So, two questions. First: does Android have a decent podcast app yet? I used Doggcatcher a few years ago, and at least at the time it was kinda janky.

Second: What's the goon opinion on good phones right now? I'm not actively opposed to the S8, but I was unimpressed by the samsung bloatware that came on my old s5, and the reviews on the pixel and nexus seem kinda mixed. I ask because the OP appears to be old as hell.

Android has several good podcast apps: PocketCasts, BeyondPod, and Podcast Addict are the best three most-recommended.

What "mixed" reviews are you reading on the Pixel? Other than the occasional lemon (which is a possibility with any manufacturer), the two biggest downsides are cost (on par with an iPhone) and availability (if you're not going to use Verizon).

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

deadly_pudding posted:

Yes, there are several good podcast apps now. The Pixel is the phone you want if price isn't a concern. If it is get a Moto G5+ 4gb. Honestly though, what does the "cost:performance ratio" mean?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I just mean like, I liked google hangouts more than imessage, the data capacity is a little cheaper, I'm interested in smartphone VR. Android also plays a lot nicer with chromecast.

Anyway, thank you for the information. I'll look more seriously at the pixel. Skimming over reviews, it seemed like Tech Radar loved it, but Gizmodo thought it was kinda disappointing.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

deadly_pudding posted:

For podcasts I just use Google Play Music with no issues, but I'm not like huge into podcasts or anything so there may be features I don't even know I'm missing out on.

As far as phones go it's either the S8 or the Pixel if you're shopping on the high end, depends entirely on your preferences really.

Jacobus Spades
Oct 29, 2004

FAUXTON posted:

boilerplate "uninstall facebook" response.

I always see these posts and thought they were mostly a humorous exaggeration until I installed Facebook messenger to grab an address someone sent me.... it lagged the everloving poo poo out of my phone almost instantaneously after I ran it for the first time and plopped an annoying ever-present overlay on top of every app

gently caress Facebook, seriously.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Jacobus Spades posted:

I always see these posts and thought they were mostly a humorous exaggeration until I installed Facebook messenger to grab an address someone sent me.... it lagged the everloving poo poo out of my phone almost instantaneously after I ran it for the first time and plopped an annoying ever-present overlay on top of every app

That's weird because Messenger doesn't really have the performance hit like the actual Facebook app does.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Jacobus Spades posted:

I recall this being a major problem even like 2 years ago, yeah. It sucked rear end because my entire social circle at the time was using facebook messenger to coordinate activities. It's like, I would have been perfectly happy with this stuff going into my notification drawer, instead. There's also reason to be semi-concerned about exactly *what* it is about the messenger app that logs your phone.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

deadly_pudding posted:

I just mean like, I liked google hangouts more than imessage, the data capacity is a little cheaper, I'm interested in smartphone VR. Android also plays a lot nicer with chromecast.

Anyway, thank you for the information. I'll look more seriously at the pixel. Skimming over reviews, it seemed like Tech Radar loved it, but Gizmodo thought it was kinda disappointing.

The beauty of the Pixel really doesn't come across in reviews because the thing that makes it so good is the fact that it's smooth all the time and just works. That's the kind of thing you can't put on a spec sheet but makes a world of difference in day to day use.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

But what about its nits? Does it have as many as this other phone?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

WattsvilleBlues posted:

You know, I was playing with that option on my Galaxy S8. I noticed that every time I used my finger to scroll on the touch screen, it would have a spike on the graph. Flicking my finger in the Play Store to fast scroll to the bottom consisted of generally smooth framerate. Dragging my finger back and forth caused big spikes. It would be completely normal for Samsung to gently caress up something related to scrolling, wouldn't it?

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Nalin posted:

You know, I was playing with that option on my Galaxy S8. I noticed that every time I used my finger to scroll on the touch screen, it would have a spike on the graph. Flicking my finger in the Play Store to fast scroll to the bottom consisted of generally smooth framerate. Dragging my finger back and forth caused big spikes. It would be completely normal for Samsung to gently caress up something related to scrolling, wouldn't it?

I've seen screen caps of the Pixel having frame drops, too. I'd be really curious to see in the same situations how different phones perform relative. In the S8's case, I don't think it's a GPU or CPU issue, since it seems to happen just the same regardless of resolution or DPI or whatever. I dunno if it's possible for it to be caching or whatever.

Like, ultimately, it's really just whether or not you can notice and/or care beyond a graph. It's the same way I've felt about Touchwiz for the longest time: it's objectively bad, but if you can tolerate or don't care about it, more power to you. The Pixel is still the overall champ in every department aside from design.

\/\/\/\/\/
There's some post-patch app called BixBye that'll let you remap still. It appears to work differently than the other apps that would show Bixby before launching whatever you remapped to.

sleepwalkers fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Apr 25, 2017

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

clamiam45 posted:

I even remapped the bixby button to something useful!
Don't get used to that lmao

Jacobus Spades
Oct 29, 2004

cage-free egghead posted:

That's weird because Messenger doesn't really have the performance hit like the actual Facebook app does.

Could've changed recently, all I know is that poo poo was hosed within minutes of installing the app and gone the second I uninstalled it. Even if it's some first run housecleaning it shouldn't impact system performance running in the background.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Aren't all the facebook performance issues tracked to the fact FB pings your GPS like all the time?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

LastInLine posted:

I did because you know it's going to happen sooner or later anyway, why not be done with it? That said, I don't have a ton of history there, just voicemail which isn't lost.

Nooo.... I actually have ongoing chats in Hangouts and sometimes have to use SMS (ugh). I don't wanna switch back. I'm holding out until the last moment in hopes that Google will un-gently caress this situation (but my hopes are not high).

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Nalin posted:

Oh wow I thought you were joking, WattsvilleBlues. It sounds like a spergy stereotype thing for an end user to try to falsify his own enjoyment of a device with a dropped frames graph.

hooah posted:

As someone who was in a biometrics lab in grad school, this sounds an awful lot like a huge false positive rate, given how far from your eye you're likely holding the phone and the large variety of conditions it "works" under. Unless Samsung is way ahead of academic research, I would stop using that immediately.

I get what you're saying but if it's scanning me and admits me, then that's a true positive. (I understand you're saying you fear the high recall is a sign of low precision.) Do you know if some reputable test group has made a study of the device? I'd definitely stop using it if Consumer Reports said to.

kensei posted:

Can you print out a picture of your face featuring your eye and try to unlock it with that?

I could, but I'm not a tester or whatever, so I'll just rely on the pros to report.

Endless Mike posted:

Don't get used to that lmao

The app just listens for Bixby then opens another designated app on top of it. That seems safe, but I don't know.

clamiam45 fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Apr 25, 2017

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

kensei posted:

The iris scanner you can't do that, it works fundamentally differently, the face unlock you can! Samsung!

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

clamiam45 posted:

Oh wow I thought you were joking, WattsvilleBlues. It sounds like a spergy stereotype thing for an end user to try to falsify his own enjoyment of a device with a dropped frames graph.

Lol relax cupcake, I was joking. I'm glad he or she is enjoying the phone, I'm not a Pixel warrior and I liked my Galaxy S7.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

would make a good gang tag

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Lol relax cupcake, I was joking. I'm glad he or she is enjoying the phone, I'm not a Pixel warrior and I liked my Galaxy S7.

It was a good joke.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

sleepwalkers posted:

would make a good gang tag

Can we actually

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

Can we actually

I'll get my crack team of designers on it. Coming soon: Gang Tag 8+

e: it's a gang tag that's just a lot taller than other gang tags.

sleepwalkers fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Apr 25, 2017

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

clamiam45 posted:

Is this a USA model? If so can you check the headphone out for quality?

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

redeyes posted:

Is this a USA model? If so can you check the headphone out for quality?

You don't want this. I'm the idiot who still uses his Galaxy S3 earbuds because they're more comfortable than the ones that came with the S6 or S8. Mostly I just use the Bose Quiet Comfort 35, which apparently are also bad audio quality.

Basically I'm a lovely slob who doesn't care about sound quality, dropped pixels, frame lag, or Iris Theft.

If you want my honest opinion it's "Whatever, they sound fine."

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Can we have a OnePlus gang tag :sonia:

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

CLAM DOWN posted:

Can we actually

Hmmm

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Here is my hot take on the Galaxy S8 earbuds vs my old Galaxy S6 earbuds:

They fit better and sound clearer. Samsung truly innovating on earbuds.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Nalin posted:

Here is my hot take on the Galaxy S8 earbuds vs my old Galaxy S6 earbuds:

They fit better and sound clearer. Samsung truly innovating on earbuds.

The earbuds are like a pair of clouds softly inserted into my ear cavities. It is super comfy. The wire / cable and volume control feel very tacky and cheaply made, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Actually the S8 earbuds aren't very comfortable and the bass response is way too exaggerated.