Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

MaxxBot posted:

There is one losing social issue Dems should totally abandon, gun control, but they won't do that because they suck and insist on having a dumb elitist wedge issue to demonize people who live in the country.
remember when democrats chose to have a big whiny sit-in over wanting to tie gun rights to a watch list or no fly list that has zero accountability? lol

out of all the issues to make a big show about, culture war over a relatively minor issue is the hill they choose to die on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

comedyblissoption posted:

remember when democrats chose to have a big whiny sit-in over wanting to tie gun rights to a watch list or no fly list that has zero accountability? lol

out of all the issues to make a big show about, culture war over a relatively minor issue is the hill they choose to die on

Didn't they also get the lights shut off on them?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

For some reason work had on MSNBC in the break room, and you know...it's incredible how they cover a story.

They were rambling on about the unpopularity of Trump, how Independents don't like him, how he's presidency is already a failure because he's not well liked, all this stuff. How his popularity is the lowest in history.

One problem, and one thing they conveniently left out of their narrative? Somehow the Democrats, and their leadership somehow managed to be LESSS POPULAR than Donald Trump. It just feels at times they're so desperate to talk about Trump and hoping people will ignore the steaming pile of poo poo the DNC is right now.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
funnily enough the republican party seems to be somehow polling as less favorable than trump or the dnc

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

MaxxBot posted:

There is one losing social issue Dems should totally abandon, gun control, but they won't do that because they suck and insist on having a dumb elitist wedge issue to demonize people who live in the country.

gun control in national politics isn't "elitist"; gun control is a rural VS urban debate, not a poor VS rich one (and that isn't the same thing despite the vehement insistence of the US right and the shittiest, most reductive parts of the left)

white people (~60%) believe protecting gun rights is more important than establishing (stricter) gun control, while only 25-30% of blacks and hispanics feel that way

while there's an upward trend in minority gun ownership and pro-gun positions, it is still an issue primarily defined by geography and race, where supporting what poor rural whites wants means directly neglecting an issue that is important to many poor urban non-whites

democrats can win more in white-only, red districts by shutting the gently caress up about guns there, but abandoning it as a position on the national level is just trading one bloc of underrepresented voters for another (and to an extent they already have; clinton and trump had effectively the exact same milquetoast stance on guns during the election, but it didn't stop gun people from being paranoid about gun-grabbin clinton because of the loving nra)

Baku has issued a correction as of 01:13 on Apr 25, 2017

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

wizard on a water slide posted:

gun control in national politics isn't "elitist"; gun control is a rural VS urban debate, not a poor VS rich one (and that isn't the same thing despite the vehement insistence of the US right and the shittiest, most reductive parts of the left)

white people (~60%) believe protecting gun rights is more important than establishing (stricter) gun control, while only 25-30% of blacks and hispanics feel that way

while there's an upward trend in minority gun ownership and pro-gun positions, it is still an issue primarily defined by geography and race, where supporting what poor rural whites wants means directly neglecting an issue that is important to many poor urban non-whites

democrats can win more in white-only, red districts by shutting the gently caress up about guns there, but abandoning it as a position on the national level is just trading one bloc of underrepresented voters for another (and to an extent they already have; clinton and trump had effectively the exact same milquetoast stance on guns during the election, but it didn't stop gun people from being paranoid about gun-grabbin clinton because of the loving nra)

that's because the Democrats have gone out of their way to demonstrate that their backing off from gun control in the mid-2000's was not a lasting change and as a party they're quite happy to pass all sorts of lovely, ignorant, and ineffective measures that are largely rooted in cultural antipathy and media stereotypes and ultimately in support of an incremental agenda to abolish gun rights

the NRA's alignment with the Republican party sucks, but people pretending that "gun people" have no reason to be wildly skeptical of the Democratic party have not been paying attention at all and are usually very obviously arguing in bad faith

also the argument that you're trading one bloc for another relies on the assumption that the importance different groups place on their policy preferences are identical, which does not appear to be the case at all when it comes to firearm ownership

LGD has issued a correction as of 01:32 on Apr 25, 2017

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
The Democrats gun problem is that most of the people with the strongest opinions about guns on the dem side are about as knowledgeable about guns as the GOP yellers are about abortion. MDA and their allies always harping on gun control ideas that are nonsensical at best(assault weapons ban) or nightmarish at worst(firearms ban for the no fly list) rather than moving forward on any actual effective legislation that would protect people or make guns safer.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
which still doesn't address the main point of my post, which is that non-white voters (who overwhelmingly support the democratic party) want stricter gun control measures

pretending the only people who hate guns (rightly or wrongly) are rich white urban liberals is as loving full of poo poo as suggesting that politicians haven't created a network of bizarre, ineffective, unscientific gun control measures, and "doing what the poorest part of your constituency wants" isn't "elitism"

you guys absolutely aren't wrong about the inanity of gun laws in the united states, to be clear, I just snapped reflexively at that claim of "elitism" because I'm real sick of the narrative that the democratic problem is their refusal to pander to the white poor at the expense of the non-white poor

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
Sure but the Dems aren't offering gun control targeted at making those people safer, they're targeting working on gun control measures that would perhaps marginally increase the safety of white kids.

Any time gun control becomes a national debate it's only because a bunch of white on white crime. Newtown, Aurora, Elliott Rodgers, etc. and all legislation is targeted at those weapons (the AR 15 and friends) when the vast majority of gun violence comes from a Saturday night special, especially for those marginalized communities the Democrats claim to be protecting.

If anyone actually gave a poo poo about gun violence, even if they were bad about it, the C9 would be much more of a household name than the AR 15

Bushiz has issued a correction as of 01:43 on Apr 25, 2017

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Bushiz posted:

Sure but the Dems aren't offering gun control targeted at making those people safer, they're targeting working on gun control measures that would perhaps marginally increase the safety of white kids.

Any time gun control becomes a national debate it's only because a bunch of white on white crime. Newtown, Aurora, Elliott Rodgers, etc. and all legislation is targeted at those weapons (the AR 15 and friends) when the vast majority of gun violence comes from a Saturday night special, especially for those marginalized communities the Democrats claim to be protecting.

If anyone actually gave a poo poo about gun violence, even if they were bad about it, the C9 would be much more of a household name than the AR 15

Exactly. Large portions of the Democratic base does have a genuine preference for gun control, but the reason it's a rare example of Democratic policy aligning with what the poorest parts of their constituency wants is precisely because it's a meaningful cultural signal that does not impose any sort of meaningful cost on the elites in question. Describing gun control as a policy only the elites are in favor of is completely wrong, but the Democratic party's implementation of it is very much driven by the preferences of those elites.

Also, while I'm highly sympathetic to the notion that the Democrats shouldn't be abandoning the preferences of their existing minority base to go after poor whites, the structure of the American government means that they do need to be competitive outside major urban centers. Gun control advocacy just totally wrecks them there, even if they'd otherwise be able to put together a compelling policy package and cultural narrative for less densely populated areas, and conversely if they actually need gun control to shore up support in cities they're probably doomed on the national level (especially given the general effectiveness of the policies in question).

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Al! posted:

funnily enough the republican party seems to be somehow polling as less favorable than trump or the dnc

See that's the lead to me.

"How the hell are all of our elected officials sans Bernie Sanders this hated right now?". Trump is also doing well among st his base per the stats I saw. I mean the Independents and Left hate his rear end, but it's not like those sorts of people have anyone that will really get their asses to the polls?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
http://yaleherald.com/reviews/tv-samurai-jack/

lol. apparently samurai jack is problematic, also the woke dumbfuck doesn't get that the robot is basicaly sammy davis jr bot. also any woman not dressed like nun is problematic.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
clearly "sam kruyer" knows more about japan and the historical samurai than any old wikipedia article, enough that he's qualified to declare on behalf of the japanese that a show is using their cultural heritage disrespectfully or inappropriately

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

even before this Omaha mayor debacle, there was some similar poo poo going on here in NYC over the next city council speaker. the guy gunning for the position is a guy who's personally pro-life and anti-marriage equality, but he doesn't let that run his politics, and he's also an economic populist. there was already some degree of backlash over those positions and his candidacy but i don't think there's a chance in hell that he wins out now

and by the new DNC purity measures, Tim Kaine wouldn't have an acceptable VP candidate. oops
for someone who hates how hillary clinton was defeated because of sexism, sasha sure loves to insult everyone and everything that doesn't conform to her worldview in gendered terms. also lol at her bio:

no, i don't know who you are, and i don't know what the hell "Awards Daily" is. a verified checkmark on twitter must be like a disease that infects you with self-importance and egotism

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

get that OUT of my face posted:

even before this Omaha mayor debacle, there was some similar poo poo going on here in NYC over the next city council speaker. the guy gunning for the position is a guy who's personally pro-life and anti-marriage equality, but he doesn't let that run his politics, and he's also an economic populist. there was already some degree of backlash over those positions and his candidacy but i don't think there's a chance in hell that he wins out now

and by the new DNC purity measures, Tim Kaine wouldn't have an acceptable VP candidate. oops

for someone who hates how hillary clinton was defeated because of sexism, sasha sure loves to insult everyone and everything that doesn't conform to her worldview in gendered terms. also lol at her bio:

no, i don't know who you are, and i don't know what the hell "Awards Daily" is. a verified checkmark on twitter must be like a disease that infects you with self-importance and egotism

I look at people like this and I am starting to grow more annoyed with them as the days go by. I actually feel greater empathy for some Trump supporters than I do these white women bloggers that live in some metro area. All they do is poo poo on anything that isn't neoliberal intersectional feminism.

And I'm cool with Feminism, Feminists. They've been really great people that have opened my eyes to a lot of things. They also seem to come across as people who are very driven, and don't bitch about this sort of poo poo on twitter all the time.

I feel horrible that women are "represented" by these people. They deserve better than this poo poo. (someone who would be a better representative would be like who I am going to link below for example)

https://katiehalper.com/2017/04/20/a-millennial-feminist-explains-her-feminism-to-a-feminist-philosopher-who-blames-her-for-trump/

FuzzySkinner has issued a correction as of 05:05 on Apr 25, 2017

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

clearly "sam kruyer" knows more about japan and the historical samurai than any old wikipedia article, enough that he's qualified to declare on behalf of the japanese that a show is using their cultural heritage disrespectfully or inappropriately

Do you have any idea how pissed the Japanese people would be if they found out that there was a children's show inaccurately presenting samurai?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i'm pretty sure the overwhelming reaction of japanese people towards perceived cultural appropriation is "i don't give a poo poo"

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

i'm pretty sure the overwhelming reaction of japanese people towards perceived cultural appropriation is "i don't give a poo poo"

Japan is such an insular society the majority of the population probably don't even know it exists let alone that its 'problematic'.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Byolante posted:

Japan is such an insular society the majority of the population probably don't even know it exists let alone that its 'problematic'.

There is not a single country in the world where the majority of the population are aware of the concept of "cultural appropriation"

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

seeding the West with their cultural memes is revenge for the Bomb

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Gun control legislation that only restricts the aesthetics of a gun and does nothing to the function is the best because you get to see gun dudes wriggle impotently at their hideous firearms.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Less serious chat, more mocking.

Brianna Wu (D-Mass)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Uhhhhhhhh Brianna Wu is running for Congress. DoctorGonzo could have easily been making fun of Brianna Wu for talking about video games as a serious subject while trying to run for Congress. Like when she was tweeting about attacks from the moon.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
Honestly a video game moon maniac would be no worse than anyone else currently holding down the floor in congress right now. That's no endorsement of her, just a scream in the dark.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Peanut President posted:

The Dems...should be more like the republicans???

In terms of voter participation, they absolutely should.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
like many ~twitter personalities~ she has said a lot of weird or kind of stupid things over the years, but that series of tweets just kind of seems like a cogent and accurate observation, automatically putting it above (for ex) basically anything the current president of the united states of america has said in the last year

at worst it's "she should be talking about something other than video games" in which case we could post 90% of what every currently sitting congressman says

maybe find the weird or stupid stuff next time, like chipman's "asia is going to conquer the world because there's no racism or nationalism there"

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

BexGu posted:

Uhhhhhhhh Brianna Wu is running for Congress. DoctorGonzo could have easily been making fun of Brianna Wu for talking about video games as a serious subject while trying to run for Congress. Like when she was tweeting about attacks from the moon.

better safe than sorry

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

she's running in my district and i'm going to vote for her

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Karl Barks posted:

I'm sorry you live in that part of Massachusetts and are a moron.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Karl Barks posted:

huh, shes no maoist but she seems like a decent progressivish candidate

i wonder why there's so much opposition to her on the internet :q:

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I'm sorry you live in that part of Massachusetts and are a moron.

yes and i'm going to convince as many as my friends as possible to vote for her

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

maybe find the weird or stupid stuff next time, like chipman's "asia is going to conquer the world because there's no racism or nationalism there"

the moon stuff was a lot of fun

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i smoke weed too

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
what if we put a really big trebuchet on the moon and launched rocks at the inner city....makes u think....

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Guns suck, the people who obsess about them are weird, and the worst of them argue in bad faith about increasing funding for mental health outreach programs every time some white dude goes on a killing spree. There is no virtuous position held on guns by a republican backed by action in the US so all the poo poo I see in on this page about dems being bad about guns is some serious glass house/stone throwing poo poo.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

mysterious frankie posted:

Honestly a video game moon maniac would be no worse than anyone else currently holding down the floor in congress right now. That's no endorsement of her, just a scream in the dark.
she honestly believes hillary clinton lost because the obama justice department didn't prosecute g*merg*ters, which she said formed the basis of trump's voting base. she's a full-blown moron and nobody should vote for her

also she's a tech democrat and we all know how noble and virtuous they are

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
there is no virtuous position backed by action held by almost any sitting legislator in the usa on anything lmao

like at best they sometimes fix bridges or force companies to stop selling food with asbestos and cat brains in it, and that usually requires some sort of provision that directly or indirectly benefits them personally

as the person who started the "please stop making fun of dems for having gun control on the party platform" derail, who stands by my assertion that calling it "elitism" to want gun control or w/e is loving dumb, I think it should be clear if you know anything about guns and gun legislation in the us that gun laws in the us are insanely convoluted, confusing, and inane and there is very little informed, good-faith effort on the part of anyone to actually implement effective solutions (part of which would indeed be expanded mental health services, which is part of the larger problem of fixing our loving garbage healthcare system, and regardless of whether or not gun nuts are arguing for it in good faith they are correct that it would be a good thing)

also she's a tech democrat and we all know how noble and virtuous they are

i'm sure her opponents are also very noble and virtuous

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

techies are a special kind of oblivious and out of touch

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Office Surprise Store posted:

the moon stuff was a lot of fun

Nobody tell her that The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress was fiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Karl Barks posted:

yes and i'm going to convince as many as my friends as possible to vote for her

so she'll get maybe three more votes?

• Locked thread