Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

a mysterious cloak posted:

Swole bros, my days of consuming entire cooked animals post-workout (or for lunch, snacks, breakfast) are over. My kidneys refuse to cooperate and will threaten to kill me if I don't cut down to about 150g per day (in addition to other dietary changes).

Pour out some whey in memory of my gains :rip:
My swoledolences, friend. :( As someone with an autoimmune kidney disease, I'll have to do the same sometime in my future (just testing and doing regular checkups for now). 150g seems like a fair amount to hit the recommended 0.8g/lb for muscle growth, though. Stay active and let us know how it goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

a mysterious cloak posted:

Swole bros, my days of consuming entire cooked animals post-workout (or for lunch, snacks, breakfast) are over. My kidneys refuse to cooperate and will threaten to kill me if I don't cut down to about 150g per day (in addition to other dietary changes).

Pour out some whey in memory of my gains :rip:

RIP

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

You can still look at photos of strong men, at least

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

I just realized my 25lb kid eats about 700-900 cal/day.

If I scale that up to my body weight its like 7000 lol.

Hes def out poopin me though

TheTremendous
Jan 4, 2013

Paper Diamonds posted:

A super strong guy once said "Dog it ain't about the weight on the bar it's about the heart you put into it."

I did my first meet a few months ago and I'm sitting at 5%, so 30% is totally fine. Plus gently caress that chart because making comparisons like that just means you're always weaker than someone. Unless you're setting world records.

Let's hear about the meet man! Swole thread needs content!

Haha. I don't actually take the chart too seriously. I have no illusions about where I'd rank objectively and I'm more interested in making improvement on my own physique/performance than I am in beating anyone else. I used to weigh 295 lbs (not in a good way) so it's been cool to see the changes I can make.

As for the meet, it was an RPS meet and it was a ton of fun. I weighed in a little over 195 and took the platform about 10 lbs heavier the next day. 24 hour weigh ins are pretty cool. I went 3/3 on squats: 350, 385, 400 (freedom units, not kg). They all felt great and using a squat bar was pretty interesting. It felt way better on my back than a normal bar, at least partially because of the ridiculous knurling.

I went 2/3 on bench: I hit 240 and 265, but missed 275. I wasn't mad about the miss. It was pretty clear that 265 was drat near maximal, but I was able to grind it out. I almost racked the bar without waiting for the command, but one of the spotters yelled at me to hold the weight. It would've sucked to get red lights for missing the command, especially because there was no way I would've been able to hit 265 again.

I went 3/3 on deads: 405, 450, 470. In retrospect I could've pushed these even harder, but I went 8/9 and finished with an 1135 total. I can't wait to do another meet, but I want to blow these numbers away before I compete again. All of that is on hold until I get through some physical therapy and figure out what the hell is wrong with my shoulder.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
Nice job dude. Glad to hear you enjoyed it and want to do another. Eating after weigh ins by itself is enough to make it worthwhile.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
I'm 45th percentile for bench and like 5th for dead and squat. Sometimes I weep when I think what could have been I hadn't torn my ACL twice in the last 4 years.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Haha jk my squat had always sucked and all the ligaments in the world can't save it

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

TheTremendous posted:

Haha. I don't actually take the chart too seriously. I have no illusions about where I'd rank objectively and I'm more interested in making improvement on my own physique/performance than I am in beating anyone else. I used to weigh 295 lbs (not in a good way) so it's been cool to see the changes I can make.

As for the meet, it was an RPS meet and it was a ton of fun. I weighed in a little over 195 and took the platform about 10 lbs heavier the next day. 24 hour weigh ins are pretty cool. I went 3/3 on squats: 350, 385, 400 (freedom units, not kg). They all felt great and using a squat bar was pretty interesting. It felt way better on my back than a normal bar, at least partially because of the ridiculous knurling.

I went 2/3 on bench: I hit 240 and 265, but missed 275. I wasn't mad about the miss. It was pretty clear that 265 was drat near maximal, but I was able to grind it out. I almost racked the bar without waiting for the command, but one of the spotters yelled at me to hold the weight. It would've sucked to get red lights for missing the command, especially because there was no way I would've been able to hit 265 again.

I went 3/3 on deads: 405, 450, 470. In retrospect I could've pushed these even harder, but I went 8/9 and finished with an 1135 total. I can't wait to do another meet, but I want to blow these numbers away before I compete again. All of that is on hold until I get through some physical therapy and figure out what the hell is wrong with my shoulder.

Dude, good job. Keep it up, we'll be talking about you.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Lifting is real not cool if you get weaker while still lifting consistently. I'm stepping on the scale tomorrow morning to begin solving this mystery.

I made sweet progress in Sheiko until early january when the program ended, and then I tried some real high volume program and I think I somehow exceed max recoverable volume but stupidly kept doing it for a long time. I physically look bigger but I stopped doing the volume thing like a month or more ago at this point and my lifts still aren't really where they were. Mostly bench. The other lifts have gone up.

The reality may also be that I just suck rear end at everything gym related. For example, my pec engagement is probably garbage in bench right now and that could be a contributing factor.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Apr 25, 2017

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
got a new rep pr on bench tonight doing amrap on the last set, 165x6 reps, i was using weight I thought was heavy for a 3x3. Guess I still have some psychological issues slowing me down. I used to staunchly believe it was almost impossible for me to even get past 150 for more than 3 or 4 reps and now I"m doing it and I haven't even cut all the way back on my drinking and lovely diet yet. I feel like 2 plates is actually on the horizon now

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
so I've been drinking Monsters protein shakes lately. They're pretty good. That's all I got. ok bye.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Khorne posted:

Lifting is real not cool if you get weaker while still lifting consistently. I'm stepping on the scale tomorrow morning to begin solving this mystery.

I made sweet progress in Sheiko until early january when the program ended, and then I tried some real high volume program and I think I somehow exceed max recoverable volume but stupidly kept doing it for a long time. I physically look bigger but I stopped doing the volume thing like a month or more ago at this point and my lifts still aren't really where they were. Mostly bench. The other lifts have gone up.

The reality may also be that I just suck rear end at everything gym related. For example, my pec engagement is probably garbage in bench right now and that could be a contributing factor.

High volume is for people on steroids. I completely burned out on a 4x12 program.

Now I'm on a max chill 3x8. Actually making gains and recovering well, even though I'm Over 30.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

FogHelmut posted:

High volume is for people on steroids. I completely burned out on a 4x12 program.

Now I'm on a max chill 3x8. Actually making gains and recovering well, even though I'm Over 30.

Hahahaha how are you even burned out? Just vary the intensity like use different weights

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Dum Cumpster posted:

Hahahaha how are you even burned out? Just vary the intensity like use different weights

Hahahahahahahaha How The gently caress Is Burn Out Real Hahahaha Nigga Just Walk Away From The Weights Like Nigga Open Your Hands Haha

TheTremendous
Jan 4, 2013

Dum Cumpster posted:

Agreed. Cycling intensities and taking planned deloads let me build up my work capacity and get used to doing a lot of volume. I thought I kept my training volume decently high until I hired a coach and discovered just how wrong I was.

ArmZ posted:

Hahahahahahahaha How The gently caress Is Burn Out Real Hahahaha Nigga Just Walk Away From The Weights Like Nigga Open Your Hands Haha

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

ArmZ posted:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

ArmZ posted:

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
If Satan developed a workout routine it would just be me doing front squat lunges for all eternity

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
It would be a widowmaker but you're always on rep 19.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Dum Cumpster posted:

5 days a week for 3 months straight before full body tendinitis and apathy set in, max intensity, probably hitting 5 exercises per muscle group in the split, over 30, and

ArmZ posted:

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
As an over 30 I used my disposable income to purchase a workout spreadsheet to go with my diet spreadsheet and it manages all all these crazy variables so that I feel great while doing high volume on a cut.

Ok maybe not while but my joints feel great.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

See I was doing it on a bulk which is stupid because I'm not on steroids but also I put on 15 lbs so maybe it was good

But now I'm just happy with general health and fitness with no specific goals, feels good man

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
Feeling good is what truly matters.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Dum Cumpster posted:

As an over 30 I used my disposable income to purchase a workout spreadsheet to go with my diet spreadsheet and it manages all all these crazy variables so that I feel great while doing high volume on a cut.

I'm an over 40 and my paid spreadsheets awesome as well. It's the debilitating weight of death closing in every day that sucks.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Please tell me where to buy the 100 dollar spreadsheets

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

ArmZ posted:

loving lmao

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
needs to be on a workout shirt imho

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

Dum Cumpster posted:

Feeling good is what truly matters.

actually its being big and looking ripped simultaneously

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Defiant Sally posted:

actually its being big and looking ripped simultaneously

Well yeah but no one posting in this thread is getting there.

You're our only hope

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Played a full b-ball game, followed up with chest and arms, now eating 2 chikfila spicy sandies because I'm filth.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Dum Cumpster posted:

Feeling Looking good is what truly matters.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Gorman Thomas posted:

Played a full b-ball game, followed up with chest and arms, now eating 2 chikfila spicy sandies because I'm filth.

No filth friend. I had one tonight myself.

My numbers have been exploding since I've actually been eating some real food.

Feels good

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Dum Cumpster posted:

I dropped the cash to have them coach me, though the PL templates are kickin' rad.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Dum Cumpster posted:

I like the idea of the spreadsheets, it just feels having two different templates, one for cutting and one for bulking, sold as two separate products rather than being a few sheets in the same one is milking it a bit.

That being said, watch me give in and get them both.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
I am having a crohns flare so between the non stop making GBS threads and high fever it appears my two months of actually working out on a consistent basis is coming to an end. On the plus side it appears I won't have to put any effort into cutting

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC

Pesmerga posted:

I like the idea of the spreadsheets, it just feels having two different templates, one for cutting and one for bulking, sold as two separate products rather than being a few sheets in the same one is milking it a bit.

That being said, watch me give in and get them both.

The lifting ones can be used for whatever. The PL bundle has hypertrophy, strength, and peaking.

Hypertrophy template is an evil, evil template.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Dilber posted:

Hypertrophy template is an evil, evil template.

Can confirm. Don't mind paying them for all the different sheets since they work so well and RP gives out so much free info. I feel like I owe them money.

Looking forward to seeing what you get out of the coaching. If I ever stop working so much for a few months I'll probably hire someone. Or I'll keep working all the time for another 7 years and then take the Stan Efferding approach.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC

When I used it for my meet in 2015, I dropped multiple weight classes, and got a couple meet PRs while lifting with a partially torn rotator cuff.

Going for health now since I had hormonal issues that caused my weight to blow up, and now that i'm on medicine I can actually shed fat. First month, down around 8 pounds and 3.5" inches in my waist with no strength loss so far.

I'd make another log, but I don't really have any meets coming up so I can't think of a good toxx goal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
Unless you need the goal to motivate your logging it literally doesn't matter anymore. I think I'm the only one who would in theory care about toxxes and I don't see the point with where the forums are at.