Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Naramyth posted:

Buy some 12 or 20 siders (just use the ones you currently have you filthy nerd) Throw them in your dice bag. Count wounds taken like a civilized person.

I keep a bunch of big dice already that I never roll (I like small dice) to use as wound counters and keep a 12 sider for a 2 on the perils table.

Who are these loving monsters that put markers counting down wounds remaining

mango sentinel posted:

How was the general attitude towards the release of previous editions? People seem real excited for the big changes in this edition, podcasts make people sound pretty apathetic about 7th but that may be because it was just 6.5 instead of big changes.

I missed the launch of 6th, but the release of 7th was miserable. Only a few of the changes were good (vehicle damage), and the new poo poo all sounded terrible (summoning, psychic phase, unbound armies), to the point that there was a lot of yelling about how the new edition would be poo poo (and it was), which got bad enough that the death thread was created.

Some of the stuff didn't end up being as big a deal (unbound mostly, since most people just agreed to never play with unbound armies), but most of it was bad and I don't remember anyone responding positively to that leaked White Dwarf article talking about a space marine librarian summoning a bloodthirster and the players being like "yeah this is cool"

Thundercloud posted:

6th had a bunch of issues and much of 7th was just a process of adding piles of formations and special rules.

It even had a supplement that added an air phase so your planes could get killed without you taking them out of the case.

Jesus Death from the Skies was so bad. It was funny to see a book get released, then be collectively ignored by the entire playerbase

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
When skies was released I honestly thought it was a joke. Nope.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Are Dreadnoughts good now?

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Going to depend on the damage table for them if 30 guardsmen rapid firing statistically knocks 2 wounds off.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

TheChirurgeon posted:

It's worse than underhand toilet paper rolls.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

ANAmal.net posted:

Loving the change to cover, where it just stacks with your regular save. Hell yeah.

I wonder if it'll have a maximum or something.

Because otherwise that changes the whole thing where space marines are better off with their armor save than bothering with cover saves most of the time, making them slightly less different and courageous. Not that I hate the idea of marines taking cover all the time.

I actually love how armor and cover saves and AP work in Shadow War, sounds kinda similar in 8th.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002
I count down as I figured it was nice for my opponent who might not remeber how many wounds everything has.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Welp, I'm not happy about initiative going away. I am not at all a fan of the AoS-style alternating activations.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

TheChirurgeon posted:

Whenever I play someone new I watch to see how they count wounds and if they count down I silently judge them.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
e:/\/\/\ I ask when it comes up "do you count up, or down like a savage?"

TheChirurgeon posted:

MasterSlowPoke posted:

It's worse than underhand toilet paper rolls.

loving savages, that's who. :frogc00l::respek::frogc00l::respek::frogc00l:

I'm glad we are getting info about this edition. Since the announcement at Adepticon our group has fallen off a cliff. No one wants to talk list building/get games in because there doesn't feel like a point to it. We are also in a weird place where we don't have events until the end of May. Hopefully 8th hits soon and we only have to do a couple more 7th events then can focus on breaking learning 8th before our schedule picks up in the fall.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Safety Factor posted:

Welp, I'm not happy about initiative going away. I am not at all a fan of the AoS-style alternating activations.

It will be nice for those megacombats where each side has three units involved and it's a total slog.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

Safety Factor posted:

Same. I liked a combat where both sides had a say in the manner.

Edit: multi combat slogs are more of a game scale issues to me. More mans more slams to keep track of.

For_Great_Justice fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Apr 25, 2017

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Safety Factor posted:

Well charging still lets you go first. So its better in that regard.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

For_Great_Justice posted:

Same. I liked a combat where both sides had a say in the manner.

Edit: multi combat slogs are more of a game scale issues to me. More mans more slams to keep track of.

So you like Alternating Activations?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Artum posted:

Going to depend on the damage table for them if 30 guardsmen rapid firing statistically knocks 2 wounds off.

assuming usual guardsman accuracy (4+), a 6+ to hit and no modifiers (3+ save on the dreadnought), it'd take an average of 72 shots to knock 2 wounds off the dreadnought

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!
I see no-one's asking the most important question: will heavy bolters be good now?

My favourite piece of poo poo weapon has to shine some day, right? :smith:

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

TheChirurgeon posted:

assuming usual guardsman accuracy (4+), a 6+ to hit and no modifiers (3+ save on the dreadnought), it'd take an average of 72 shots to knock 2 wounds off the dreadnought

I like the look of that dumb Blood Angel clawful dread and want it to be not garbage

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

quote:

so i hear they took D weapons out of 8th edition
which doesn't bother me
since battle sisters never had a D to play with anyway.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

Sykic posted:

I see no-one's asking the most important question: will heavy bolters be good now?

I think heavy bolters are drat good on land speeders. I love bringing the ravenwing formation with 3 land speeders and a darkshroud. 7 bs 5 heavy bolters just wrecks so many things. I agree that in general they are the worst option most of the time though.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

So you like Alternating Activations?

I like combat where in BOTH PLAYERS turns both sides swing. In AoS its just controlling players dudes but I do get what your going for. I just like a ladder for who swings first, makes a character stand out more to me.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

How does deepstrike work if there's no scatter dice?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

ijyt posted:

Accurately

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Sykic posted:

They are great in SW:A.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Sykic posted:

I'll agree on heavy bolters and raise you a plasma pistol.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

mango sentinel posted:

I like the look of that dumb Blood Angel clawful dread and want it to be not garbage

I suspect that dreadnoughts will be better this time around, but that's mostly because I'm hoping that gravcannons won't be the dominant strategy for marines

ijyt posted:

We've been talking about that. If it goes off AoS, it'll be just plopping your dudes down with some distance requirements--e.g. can't be closer than x" to an opponent or something

I like combat where in BOTH PLAYERS turns both sides swing. In AoS its just controlling players dudes but I do get what your going for. I just like a ladder for who swings first, makes a character stand out more to me.

It sounds like we'll still get that, but who gets to swing first is what will change. I preferred characters swinging first too, but I also kind of hated power axes/fists going last

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

TheChirurgeon posted:

We've been talking about that. If it goes off AoS, it'll be just plopping your dudes down with some distance requirements--e.g. can't be closer than x" to an opponent or something

Oh, must have missed it. Bit of a shame, hopefully the mishap table stays in some form.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

ijyt posted:

Oh, must have missed it. Bit of a shame, hopefully the mishap table stays in some form.

read the last two pages to learn why no one will miss the stupid mishap table

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

God dam power axes. And to an extent power mauls.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

ijyt posted:

You probably just deploy the model in coherency x inches away from any enemy models. Maybe they stole from Warpath and there is a test you roll, and if it's failed your oppenent picks anywhere within y inches of your initial point.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe

MasterSlowPoke posted:

You probably just deploy the model in coherency x inches away from any enemy models. Maybe they stole from Warpath and there is a test you roll, and if it's failed your oppenent picks anywhere within y inches of your initial point.

There's a lot of potential for speculation here but I don't think GW took a look at any competing wargames out there.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
I am so loving psyched for the cover change.

The vehicle changes seem pretty reasonable overall. Yes it's sort of a bummer if we lose armor facing but that profile for the Dreadnought seemed very reasonable and if this means my Furioso becomes usable again I am all for it.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

Its a deal breaker for me but thats my opinion. Beyond that question is what would mark of Slaanesh do, probably more movement or something.

In AoS, Mark of Slaanesh tends to be re-roll failed charges and re-roll failed morale (battleshock) checks.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Slaanesh will be gone and replaced by the Space Horned One anyhow.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

TKIY posted:

Slaanesh will be gone and replaced by the Space Horned One anyhow.

Isn't that also Slaanesh, depending on how he feels that night

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

mango sentinel posted:

Furiosos get D3 attacks!

Yeah still garbage.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Uh thats how it works in AoS minus the ladder part. Both sides swing in both players turns. You pick a unit to swing then your opponent picks a unit to swing.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Soulfucker posted:

There's a lot of potential for speculation here but I don't think GW took a look at any competing wargames out there.

Sure. They created 8th in a total vacuum, devoid of any input or outside influence.

Just because previous management refused to believe there was any produced by GW, doesn't mean that the current design team hasn't looked at what works for other games. Granted, they are using AoS as their basis for 8th, but you can't reasonably sit there and believe that not a single one of the staff has looked at X-Wing, WMH, or any of the other direct competitors out there.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
So if using SWA weapon stats, a devastator squad with 4 heavy bolters would put 2 unsaved wounds a turn onto that dreadnought. 9 hits, 1.5 wounds with a 6 to wound, 5+ armor save, d3 damage per unsaved wound. Or it'd kill 2 terminators and maybe wound a third. Going by straight average damage of 2 per d3 you'd kill 3 terminators, but since damage wouldn't bleed over if you roll a 1, 2, and 3 for your 3 damaging hits you only get 2 dead terminators. It effectively means you're averaging 5 damage instead of 6

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Apr 25, 2017

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

berzerkmonkey posted:

Sure. They created 8th in a total vacuum, devoid of any input or outside influence.

Just because previous management refused to believe there was any produced by GW, doesn't mean that the current design team hasn't looked at what works for other games. Granted, they are using AoS as their basis for 8th, but you can't reasonably sit there and believe that not a single one of the staff has looked at X-Wing, WMH, or any of the other direct competitors out there.
To elaborate on your point, GW stated pretty clearly that they had a lot of input from outside testers. Some big names in the competitive scene were involved with 8th edition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

chutche2 posted:

So if using SWA weapon stats, a devastator squad with 4 heavy bolters would put 2 unsaved wounds a turn onto that dreadnought. 9 hits, 1.5 wounds with a 6 to wound, 5+ armor save, d3 damage per unsaved wound. Or it'd kill 2 terminators and wound a third.

I'd be OK with that

• Locked thread