Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

It's much more of a pvp brawler with some pve elements controlled by a simple AI system. It feels kind of like a moba mixed with D&D combat in a good way. Tons of Kickstarter exclusives but even the base box comes with a lot of characters for a full experience. It's much faster and simpler than IA or Descent, and the campaign elements are pretty minor, with only your equipment cards changing from scenario to scenario. We love it.

That sounds fun. I might have to pick it up while it's on sale.

Edit: nope, I missed out on the sale.

screech on the beach fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Apr 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doug
Feb 27, 2006

This station is
non-operational.

Tekopo posted:

Played a game of Codex with a newbie and it went pretty well. I went with a blood red rush comp and he went with a growth panda/wisp combo. Middle of the game I was rushing real hard and he seemed to be stumped in terms of how to beat me. I told him that he just needed to build his board and survive the rush. He didn't seem convinced.

A few turns later I had basically destroyed my economy with land octupus and he had loads of high health unit that I couldn't kill in time and he basically two turned me with a boosted rhino. Really fun, good showcase of the two archetypes and how they interact as well.

What's a good path to entry for Codex? The deluxe set looks amazing but that seems a little steep to buy in at. Is there a budget way to get started?

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Doug posted:

What's a good path to entry for Codex? The deluxe set looks amazing but that seems a little steep to buy in at. Is there a budget way to get started?

Depends. Have you and your likely opponent(s) ever played Magic/Hearthstone/any similar CCG?

No: You can get the Starter Set, which has simpler cards and only gives you one hero and one tech tree per side. It'll get your feet wet, but your games will get pretty same-y once you have a grip on it.

Yes: Go for the Core Set. You'll get the hang of it pretty quick, and the full 3v3 game is where Codex comes to life.

(That is, three heroes/specs per side, not 3 human players per side. Codex should strictly be played as a 2-player game. The multiplayer variant is kinda poo poo.)

gutterdaughter fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Apr 25, 2017

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
Oh hey. That board game sale let me nab Dark Moon for $26 off. Heck yeah!

Doug
Feb 27, 2006

This station is
non-operational.

Gutter Owl posted:

Depends. Have you and your likely opponent(s) ever played Magic/Hearthstone/any similar CCG?

No: You can get the Starter Set, which has simpler cards and only gives you one hero and one tech tree per side. It'll get your feet wet, but your games will get pretty same-y once you have a grip on it.

Yes: Go for the Core Set. You'll get the hang of it pretty quick, and the full 3v3 game is where Codex comes to life.

(That is, three heroes/specs per side, not 3 human players per side. Codex should strictly be played as a 2-player game. The multiplayer variant is kinda poo poo.)

Nice! Yeah I've got a bit of magic/hearthstone under my belt and so does the guy I'm thinking about roping in. I guess from there you just buy expansions as you get bored? Also, any reason to buy from Sirlin instead of Amazon?

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
Buy expansions as the itch takes you? gently caress if I know, I bought the Deluxe Set because I'm a sucker for a big storage box. No egrets.

And nah. Buy from Amazon.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I'm thinking about picking up arcadia quest and have the dark souls game coming in the mail (because even though I only play trad games these days I'm still a dork) -- does anyone have experience with explaining the former one to newbies? I'm really looking for a dungeon crawler kind of game. Used to just wing it with heavily houseruled d&d/gamma world rulesets, but maybe an actual professionally produced game would work better. Sorry if the thread is full of this, checked the last few pages.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
It's a very simple system as far as movements, attacks, and monster responses. Everything else (abilities, etc) comes from the equipment cards or character powers (every character has 1).

\/ That's probably a better idea if you want a deep game. Arcadia Quest is pretty "arcadey" and light for a dungeon crawler, though that's what I like about it.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Apr 25, 2017

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

please knock Mom! posted:

I'm really looking for a dungeon crawler kind of game. Used to just wing it with heavily houseruled d&d/gamma world rulesets, but maybe an actual professionally produced game would work better. Sorry if the thread is full of this, checked the last few pages.

You may also want to get in on the second Gloomhaven Kickstarter. For my group (and many other groups, judging by ratings/reviews) it has thoroughly, handily outclassed any of the other games in this space.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
Had my first BGC rage out.

I played this guy in 2-player, and I had like 2-3 massive misplays. Once he got the CFO bonus before me and the bank had broken, you could just look at the map and see he was going to win. I typed into chat "I misplayed so bad so many times, ggs, I'm going to concede once you are done restructuring." (the game doesn't allow you to concede until they are done.)

He then spent another 5 mins restructuring so I thought "Guess he didn't see chat," once he was done, I conceded and made a new game.

He joined, said this, and surrendered:

Wouldn't recommend playing with this dude!

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

jmzero posted:

You may also want to get in on the second Gloomhaven Kickstarter. For my group (and many other groups, judging by ratings/reviews) it has thoroughly, handily outclassed any of the other games in this space.

I've seen this response come up several times when someone asks about Arcadia Quest, and it's just sort of wrong.

Gloomhaven and AW arent really in the same type of game at all. Arcadia Quest is entirely competitive, and just as much about smashing each other than it is about doing the objectives. As Bottom Liner has said many times, it's a PVP brawler that happens to have some dungeon crawling as atmosphere.

I think if you were looking for a straight up Dungeon Crawler, you would be disappointed by Arcadia Quest no matter what. However on the flip side no other game really offers what AW does, including Gloomahaven.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Scyther posted:

There are very few things worse than the "Let's just play Party Games alllll night" crowd.

I've been meeting internet weirdos for various game nights, and before now I've been too polite to ask what we'd be playing. No longer!

I can report that some people just want any chance to socialize. When I showed up they were finishing a game of Trivial Pursuit. It just seems so drat dull if you've ever played a game with any gameplay.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
When I was still learning I had a guy join a novice 3p game who was obviously much much better at the game than either of us other two players.

That's fine but when I advertised Beers (I was flailing and trying to sell SOMETHING, ANYTHING) he freaked that we were obviously colluding against him.

I had thought than no one else could get Beers based on drink spot availability and that I had spotted an opportunity, but I was mistaken. The other player could get beers to service the demand, I just misread the board and ended up advertising something the other guy could service instead of me.

We're not colluding, I just hosed up!

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Megasabin posted:

I've seen this response come up several times when someone asks about Arcadia Quest, and it's just sort of wrong.

Gloomhaven and AW arent really in the same type of game at all. Arcadia Quest is entirely competitive, and just as much about smashing each other than it is about doing the objectives. As Bottom Liner has said many times, it's a PVP brawler that happens to have some dungeon crawling as atmosphere.

I think if you were looking for a straight up Dungeon Crawler, you would be disappointed by Arcadia Quest no matter what. However on the flip side no other game really offers what AW does, including Gloomahaven.

Well, the person being responded to specifically said they were looking for a dungeon crawler, so?

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I'm still exploring so I'm just gonna buy/pledge for both I think!

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

angel opportunity posted:

I played this guy in 2-player, and I had like 2-3 massive misplays. Once he got the CFO bonus before me and the bank had broken, you could just look at the map and see he was going to win. I typed into chat "I misplayed so bad so many times, ggs, I'm going to concede once you are done restructuring." (the game doesn't allow you to concede until they are done.)

He then spent another 5 mins restructuring so I thought "Guess he didn't see chat," once he was done, I conceded and made a new game.

He joined, said this, and surrendered:

He's definitely the type of guy to send a friend request after a game of Hearthstone just so he can berate the other player after the game.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I tried my hand at the first scenario of The Colonists yesterday, Imperial Post, and let me say gently caress is it hard! I called it after my second era because I knew there was no way I could have both boardinghouses built AND establish 3rd level relations with the Envoy Colony that Era.

I have a better strategy for it now, I think, but drat that's hard. I still don't quite have the forethought of how many farms I need, how many to turn into Estates, and then just progressing up from there.

Super cool layout of the Places, though. I think I got the most AP from that, honestly.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

To give him a little credit, the BGC chat can be highly unreliable, as you and I have experienced. That said, gently caress a dude who calls you "chickenshit" for conceding. I've never understood people who get upset when an opponent concedes any online game, like it's their right to play it out to the inevitable conclusion so they can revel in victory. I've got better ways to spend my time.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

CaptainRightful posted:

To give him a little credit, the BGC chat can be highly unreliable, as you and I have experienced. That said, gently caress a dude who calls you "chickenshit" for conceding. I've never understood people who get upset when an opponent concedes any online game, like it's their right to play it out to the inevitable conclusion so they can revel in victory. I've got better ways to spend my time.

This is a weird issue for board gamers but for its standard practice for card games. I can see wanting to play out a game in person because of setup, etc, but that's a silly thing to get mad about online.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Some random Gloomhaven bits, since that's all I play these days:

1. The solo scenarios are really good, and really increase the flavor level of the characters. Really good. You should run them as soon as you get a chance (and ding level 5 with a character), even if that means you don't have the nice printed copy that's coming with the KS. Don't even put them off for one level - we've found them significantly easier if you, say, wait for level 6, and they work better at the level they're tuned for. Even if you don't have 3 Prosperity yet, I'd say give them a go now (even though they'll potentially be harder) - as it'll be less fun to come back later, especially with a retired character. I think he was scared some would be too crazy without the Prosperity 3 items... but I'd say just try it anyway.
2. I tried playing one of the KS campaign missions on TableTop Simulator. God what a fiddly slog; there's some games I don't mind on TTS, but this was terrible. There's just too many things to look at, and the KS campaign files aren't well polished (even if the physics hold together, it's not well set up). Anyway, if your only experience of the game is on TTS, do understand that it's a lot better on a real table.
3. The "Gloomhaven companion" type phone apps have some promise, but I haven't found one that's "there" yet. The ones I've seen have focused on replacing the monster decks (and, sometimes, mixing in the monster stats). This means you save some setup time, some space, and you don't have to look to two places to see monster movement/attack numbers (if the monster stats are integrated it can just say Move (2/3) Attack (5/7 <poison>) (for normal/elite)). I like the idea, but the ones I've tried so far don't quite get there - either they don't save state (which we at least need, as we often have to break in the middle), don't integrate all the stats right, don't fit everything on the screen (and if you have to scroll, it sucks), or they just sort of generally suck. But I can see these being quite handy -especially if you could somehow squeeze monster health into the screen too. Everyone having to squint at the monster stat cards is one of the few annoying bits of the game.
4. Do ditch the damage tokens. Get some little dice for monster health. We waited too long to try this, and it's way better. Finding a better solution for player health/xp is good too - but not as critical a problem as I think some people have suggested. We're playing with a mix of spindown dice and little dials, and they're very minor improvements over the markers.
5. Isaac is doing a good job keeping up with FAQ/errata material. If you see something that feels off or unclear (eg. we found an infinite combo that was funny, but obviously not healthy), do a text search in the BGG FAQ thread, and there's a good chance he will have posted a suitable resolution.

jmzero fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Apr 25, 2017

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

!Klams posted:

Ahhhhh, ok, that was the missing piece of the puzzle, there are HARDER difficulties aren't there, yes! I couldn't think where the last place I could look for details was.

Yeah, this must have been a total bitch to do the rules for, I keep thinking things like, "But why doesn't it just say that in the main body of rules?" and its like, well, which one of the five should it go in? And if you centralise more stuff into the main rulebook, that makes it impossible to give each player their own rulebook, which is absolutely a must! Really interested to see the next version. Best of luck!

In addition, what you thought was the third monster token is probably just the goblins' Rage marker.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

The thing with BGC is, you can choose to enable surrender or choose to disable it. Anyone joining my game can see that surrender is enabled. If you are going to rage out at someone surrendering, don't join a game where it's enabled. I explained everything in more detail to him after he joined ANOTHER game I made, and he chose to not respond at all and just leave because he probably realized he was being a baby and didn't want to acknowledge it or say sorry etc.

I also wouldn't say the chat bugging is "to his credit," because he should know it bugs out and therefore you don't call someone a chickenshit for "not saying something in chat" when chances are you just didn't see it due to how buggy it can be.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Serial joining games just to Make Your Feelings Well Understood and/or Teach Someone Manners is pretty weird behavior but at least they moved on.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Real pros invite you to steam groups named things like "idiot babies I've destroyed" when they want to own you.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Well, pledged for the gloomhaven second printing, from what I've seen it's a good game to crawl through with friends.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Countblanc posted:

Real pros invite you to steam groups named things like "idiot babies I've destroyed" when they want to own you.

Hello would you like to join my steam group? As an internet tough guy i would like to assure you that i have in fact, destroyed all the idiot babies, so it is a very large group.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
How good is Inis? Thinking about picking it up soon.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The thing with BGC is, you can choose to enable surrender or choose to disable it. Anyone joining my game can see that surrender is enabled. If you are going to rage out at someone surrendering, don't join a game where it's enabled. I explained everything in more detail to him after he joined ANOTHER game I made, and he chose to not respond at all and just leave because he probably realized he was being a baby and didn't want to acknowledge it or say sorry etc.

I also wouldn't say the chat bugging is "to his credit," because he should know it bugs out and therefore you don't call someone a chickenshit for "not saying something in chat" when chances are you just didn't see it due to how buggy it can be.

This is why I won't play with randoms.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

To be fair, I've played with at least ten randoms and never had an issue. This was the first time someone was a dick

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Texibus posted:

After one game, I'm intrigued by the strategic possibilities and want to play again soon. Despite being a Matagot dudes-on-a-map* game, it has very little in common mechanically with Kemet (and I'm told it has just as little in common with Cyclades, which I have not yet played). I don't think it's as tight as Kemet, mainly because the Epic Tales deck involves more luck of the draw than Divine Intervention cards.

*Inis and Kemet both include male and female "dudes".

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Texibus posted:

I like Inis (less so than Kemet), but it seems to be fairly prone to kingmaking. I don't know if it's just my group or what, but most times we play it, someone is usually in the position to hand victory to one person or another. I was that person last game, in that I could have stopped the Brenn from winning, but doing so (by murder) would have made someone else the Brenn and give him the victory, since most players would have satisfied 1 victory condition at that point. I see situations like that come up a lot, especially in the context of who to Geis.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

I've effort posted a lot about Inis.

I think it's very tight and probably the only dudes on a map game that is VERY good at 2-players.

3-4 players has a fair amount of negotiation in it which I don't much care for.

I made a huge post on BGG about this game, and here is what I said about red cards not being random:

quote:

You can control how many red cards you and other players have through the draft. If you never draft Bard, Sanctuary, or Master Crafstmen, and you lose to "random" red cards...you lost by drafting poorly.

The red cards tend to be situational, but they often let you do stuff that you otherwise wouldn't be able to do. You can move another player's clan, take a deed token for an easier condition than enabled by Bard or Master Craftsmen, or you place a clan anywhere on the map. These are just three examples among a number of possibilities. They are very strong, and the more you have, the more likely you are able to combine them together to go from a poor board state to fulfilling a victory condition.

If you see opponents with 2 or 3 red cards, you better have 2 or 3 yourself, or you better have deed tokens. If you see someone running away with red cards, you must prioritize getting them yourself in the drafts. This will prevent the other player from getting too many, and you will have your own to counter with.

Since red cards carry over from round to round, they are a long-term weapon you can get. Gaining a red card is usually sacrificing immediate tempo for long-term options. Having a stock of red cards can let you grab a victory, or it can help you stop another player from winning.

While you can't really predict which red cards an opponent is going to have, seeing someone with 2-3 of them should usually tell you they can quickly hit a victory condition, or they can stop you from getting one. Trying to force people to use their red cards while maintaining yours is very important, and carelessly throwing them out one at a time for incremental advantages is rarely a very good move.

Basically they are not meant to be something that you draw and use right away in most cases. The fact that they carry over from round to round lets you pile them up. The more of them you have together, the less random they become as you build up combos. You can start drafting based on what combos of red cards you have in hand, and this is a key part of playing the game well. It's a flawed way to look at it as saying, "Well I drew a red card, and the card was bad because it didn't do anything for me right away!" Think of drawing red cards as "developing" a long-term advantage. As this is a game without any "resources" or "engine buidling," aside from building up a strong board state, deed tokens and red cards are the only real advantage you can develop long-term that carries over from round to round.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Anyone here have experience with replaying Gloomhaven? I'm fine with persistently changing my Pandemic Legacy box (great experience/game, btw) but wanted to keep that one around for guests/more people than just a party or two. I was thinking about just making the stickers into fridge magnets.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

GrandpaPants posted:

I like Inis (less so than Kemet), but it seems to be fairly prone to kingmaking. I don't know if it's just my group or what, but most times we play it, someone is usually in the position to hand victory to one person or another. I was that person last game, in that I could have stopped the Brenn from winning, but doing so (by murder) would have made someone else the Brenn and give him the victory, since most players would have satisfied 1 victory condition at that point. I see situations like that come up a lot, especially in the context of who to Geis.

I prefer 2-player because there is none of this.

I don't think Inis is "prone to kingmaking" more than any game like this is going to be. I think it's the best design against kingmaking being a problem you can get in a 4-player FFA dudes on a map game, as the design of the game is doing everything in its power to counter kingmaking, and it decided that rolling with kingmaking as an inevitable problem was the best solution. The "pretender" token is a nod to the issue of kingmaking, you are a "pretender" to the throne, and when there is a pretender, everyone generally unites against the pretender to stop him from being a king. This is the "forced negotiation" thing I talked about. The game basically forces you in 3-4 player to work together when pretenders show up to force any number of pretenders from not winning. In my experience this will often show up as the Brenn having 0 victory conditions, and people working together to give another non-Brenn player a victory condition so that the Brenn breaks the tie and no one wins.

The game design usually works out so that rather than kingmaking, you actually get people working together to defuse someone's win. Within that though, you can try to sneak in your own double victory condition while pretending to only be interested in taking away the win from other players. Again this is negotiation and metagaming and bluffing, which isn't always great in a game like this, but Inis has realized that these are inevitable things that will always happen in a game like this, and it has made really clever design decisions to incorporate all of these things that are bound to happen into the design of the game so that they are as fun and balanced as possible.

Going back to the red cards, they often become the only real way to break a stalemate of strong players blocking each other from victory over and over. You need those cards to be "random" so that strong players can't just block off all potential paths to victory over and over. "I'm going to attack with this one clan here and get him killed intentionally so that you can't play emissaries--which I know you likely have--and sneak another guy in here to become chieftain over 3 clans and grab a second victory condition." <-- That is the kind of thinking you can get into when it's a draft game and everyone is very familiar with all of the cards and who is likely holding what card. To break that stalemate you have stuff like "Okay well I'm using this red card to teleport white's guy across the map, which gives me chieftain over 3 clans here."

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I've effort posted a lot about Inis.

I think it's very tight and probably the only dudes on a map game that is VERY good at 2-players.

3-4 players has a fair amount of negotiation in it which I don't much care for.

I made a huge post on BGG about this game, and here is what I said about red cards not being random:

Basically they are not meant to be something that you draw and use right away in most cases. The fact that they carry over from round to round lets you pile them up. The more of them you have together, the less random they become as you build up combos. You can start drafting based on what combos of red cards you have in hand, and this is a key part of playing the game well. It's a flawed way to look at it as saying, "Well I drew a red card, and the card was bad because it didn't do anything for me right away!" Think of drawing red cards as "developing" a long-term advantage. As this is a game without any "resources" or "engine buidling," aside from building up a strong board state, deed tokens and red cards are the only real advantage you can develop long-term that carries over from round to round.
:agreed: It's a great and frustrating 2p game since it's practically an open information game.

In addition to this, you only get 12 dudes on the board max so it forces you to create tight action chains and actually interact with your opponent. Even if you're going for a sanctuary win, you don't do so by sitting on one tile with 12 guys. Many of the red cards are also used in lieu of green cards, since you could discard green cards instead of losing armies.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
The best worker placement game for 2-3 players I've played is Lords of Waterdeep (officially 2-5 players), does it outperform that one given you have 2 players?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

please knock Mom! posted:

The best worker placement game for 2-3 players I've played is Lords of Waterdeep (officially 2-5 players), does it outperform that one given you have 2 players?

Worker placement and dudes on a map are two different genres.

Dudes on a map is territory control with miniatures.

But to answer your question, there are few worker placement games that Waterdeep outperforms.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Edit I am good at reading comprehension.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

PMush Perfect posted:

...when did this turnaround happen? Last I remember, Lords of Waterdeep was dismissed as pretty average. Is it just that it shines at a lower player-count?

"few games LoW outperforms" meaning it's poo poo. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

I was looking for some board game to play on iPad against the AI while I binge watched TV, and I wanted some kind of "decent and solid" worker placement game.

I knew I already didn't like Waterdeep because it was so dry and just not very interesting, so I risked Stone Age hoping it was more like Agricola and less like Waterdeep.

I think Stone Age actually manages to be more boring and dry than Waterdeep does, which is a serious achievement. After playing so many Splotter games, I can't really handle or enjoy really dry WP games anymore where you just convert resources into points and see who has more points at the end.