Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fbsw
Mar 3, 2016

Rayjenkins posted:

At first this news shook me real bad, but this is actually great for me. I'll live forever and gain access to a major market that few people dare to tread. I'll learn of non-Euclidean business paradigms. I'll be thinking outside the tesseract! The innsmouth look is a small price to pay for immortality and financial security.

and heeere comes the pitch - "i'll share all these secrets and more for the small price of 9999 gold pieces! just warp them directly to (36.83537, -85.43432, 74.32222)"
why are you feeding this dude ark? are you colluding or some poo poo? if so i guess i approve, pretty evil

also i realized the deep ones actually specifically refer to the gibbering fish idiots and not the beings they worship. i conflated them earlier and that was pretty crass of me, just because we're evil doesn't make it okay to be willfully ignorant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Knowing dark secrets man was not meant to know is kind of our thing.

Speaking of which, what is it with that Chinese place on the Astral plane? There's no way they can be making a profit. A full meal with dessert and tea for a single silver piece?

Whatever dark power the manager has made a deal with, I want in.

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

fbsw posted:

and heeere comes the pitch - "i'll share all these secrets and more for the small price of 9999 gold pieces! just warp them directly to (36.83537, -85.43432, 74.32222)"
why are you feeding this dude ark? are you colluding or some poo poo? if so i guess i approve, pretty evil

also i realized the deep ones actually specifically refer to the gibbering fish idiots and not the beings they worship. i conflated them earlier and that was pretty crass of me, just because we're evil doesn't make it okay to be willfully ignorant

What pitch? Although I must admit these are some door-opening secrets I'm now privy to. Imagine being able to pay off your otherworldly debts in but a few centuries, or finally having the power to build that dream lair on the elemental plane of vacation homes? Hell with enough can-do spirit you could own your very own elemental plane of vacations! Now am I going to give out these secrets for free? I wouldn't be a very good accounting clerk if I did, but what I can do is set up an account at the firm I do all of my financial transactions through. You can forward all business inquiries at 47°9′S 126°43′W.

naem
May 29, 2011

Eela6 posted:

Knowing dark secrets man was not meant to know is kind of our thing.

Speaking of which, what is it with that Chinese place on the Astral plane? There's no way they can be making a profit. A full meal with dessert and tea for a single silver piece?

Whatever dark power the manager has made a deal with, I want in.

They have a time loop where they serve the same batch of food to every customer over and over (that's why it's so good)

fbsw
Mar 3, 2016

Rayjenkins posted:

What pitch? Although I must admit these are some door-opening secrets I'm now privy to. Imagine being able to pay off your otherworldly debts in but a few centuries, or finally having the power to build that dream lair on the elemental plane of vacation homes? Hell with enough can-do spirit you could own your very own elemental plane of vacations! Now am I going to give out these secrets for free? I wouldn't be a very good accounting clerk if I did, but what I can do is set up an account at the firm I do all of my financial transactions through. You can forward all business inquiries at 47°9′S 126°43′W.

somebody plz send an army of zombies to that location i don't have the mats atm

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Eela6 posted:

Devils aren't just capital-E Evil, they're jerks, through and through. They have a commitment to petty evil that's admirable in its own way.

I'll rip out an orphan's heart to power my dread magics in an instant. A devil will do it because they can.

P.S: If anyone wants a pit full of dead noblewomen let me know. I think there's fourteen of them so far. So many drat princesses. They're nearly as thick as these loving birds.

You may be (you totally are, I'm being polite and understated here) confusing demons and devils there. A devil usually waits for and acts upon the conditions in a legally binding contract, a demon does whatever you leave an opening for.

This is D&D 101, guys.

Arkanomen posted:

Yup, that's a pretty common problem. When working on the material plane you have to understand balance and how going full public super evil for too long causes the pendulum to swing back. Heroic bands suddenly appear using powers way outside mortal means, dependable servants suddenly lose their minds and become useless and the walls of power and fear you've spent ages building start to give way to hope and goodness.

Think back to how things were when you got your start and you'll see how it's an opposites thing. This is where a lot of first timers plateau and eventually give up. You're stuck in a material narrative and you have to break it like you broke the neck of your first love. Make it hard, brutal and unexpected.

The classic move is to build a massive fortress, fill it with horrors and demons and all those little side projects you left to fester. Make it grand with spikes and moaning spirits, really ham it up, pull out all the stops. In the final chamber leave a senile old man you turned into a lich. Make it look like he has been the one running the show and just lost his mind over the years. You then gently caress off to another plane and watch the heroes just loving faceplant. Sure you'll lose what you built but gently caress it. You're an evil wizard, mortal concerns are beneath you, but if you're really attached just wait a century for things to turn around and then just reappear and start the whole thing over again. It's kinda fun but it gets old after the 600th time.

Keep The Laws, and you won't have to vaycay on another plane so often.

The senile old man lich is a nice touch.

Power_of_the_glory posted:

Honestly, in this situation it is best to let them think they have won and that you have been vanquished for all time. Disappear for a few decades and let the now saved kingdom enter a new golden age. Return and before the heroes realize you have begun to regain your power, murder them in front of their children. Let the children escape because their is no way they can ever be a threat to you.

Oh, oh buddy, no. You gotta murder them kiddies too, only the ones who get away have no combat or magical skills to speak of and are therefore safe.

Skypie posted:

I think if you've identified that The Balance is swinging away from you, you're not in a bad spot. It's a good tip off not to burn your powerful resources first. It can be difficult and time-consuming to force it back your way so you may be better served by playing the cosmic narrative to what I call the "mid season finale."

It's kind of a crossroads in The Balance where the heroes must make a major sacrifice. Usually it's that one of the grizzled, experienced adventurers dies or a love interest is killed. Supposed to be a low point for the heroes before they regroup and triumph.

Being that it is a crossroad moment, though, it's an excellent tool opportunity to seize the initiative. Make some bargains outside the material plane or engineer some kind of covenant with the Unseelie (those dark fae LOVE this kind of stuff and aren't strictly beholden to balance - letter of The Law stuff, not so much the spirit) then execute your non-material deals during this and you can wipe out the heroes.

Worry about The Balance once you've gotten a hang of The Laws. The Balance requires a good Laws foundation to be exploitable in your favor.

Skypie posted:

Well I mean this is why it's important to follow The Laws. You might be doing some nasty evil, but the gods can't directly intervene if you're not objectively crossing lines.

Goes back to the letter is the Law stuff.

:) You get it.

Mad Hamish posted:

Dude, how have you not realized that you're stuck in a narrative? Did you have an inspector come by to check for excessive deposits of narrativium before you built your mountaintop doom fortress? Like poo poo man, what did you expect? I'll bet at this point the narrative is so strong that when the villagers in the valley below look up to the spiked turrets of your lair in superstitious terror, lightning flashes and thunder rolls, regardless of how nice the weather is.

You've got to get out of there before that narrative kills you. Don't you know how dangerous narrativium is? It's like the first thing they teach you in Evil Wizard School.

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

fbsw posted:

somebody plz send an army of zombies to that location i don't have the mats atm

It's a shame you can't afford the armies that you so desire, but you could if you were privy to the non-Euclidean investing strategies of the Deep Ones. And even better, it's but a fraction of the cost of those armies! Think of what you could buy with your newfound financial freedom.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

You may be (you totally are, I'm being polite and understated here) confusing demons and devils there. A devil usually waits for and acts upon the conditions in a legally binding contract, a demon does whatever you leave an opening for.

This is D&D 101, guys.

:rolleyes:

Sure, buddy.

naem posted:

They have a time loop where they serve the same batch of food to every customer over and over (that's why it's so good)

That's genius! I can't wait to go back.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

naem posted:

Time loops can be a lot of fun. I have a date I go back to once a year. It's when a hero failed to stop me from sacrificing his maiden, and he had to watch her sink into an infernal nexus. I quickly wrapped the whole thing in a time loop so he's doomed to repeat his failure until I get bored of it. It's just...so savory. Sometimes I go back with a nice picnic basket and a good ale. Took a fallen druidess there on a date once.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

EMERGENCY MY PISS IS INVISIBLE WHAT HAPPENED

fbsw
Mar 3, 2016

Peanut Butler posted:

Eat a rat. Just like, pick up a rat (live one) and eat it. Trust me this fixes it.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

fbsw posted:

Eat a rat. Just like, pick up a rat (live one) and eat it. Trust me this fixes it.

You gotta eat the whole rat, though. Miss even a single hair or piece of dander and it wont work. Soul too.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Peanut Butler posted:

Where did you stick your dick last. Did you plunge some spirit creature without an astral-condom?

fbsw
Mar 3, 2016

Who What Now posted:

You gotta eat the whole rat, though. Miss even a single hair or piece of dander and it wont work. Soul too.

oh yeah and make sure you let it bite your dick first. that part is probably the MOST important. if it doesn't work you'll have to get another rat and get it to bite even harder.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Arkanomen posted:

Where did you stick your dick last. Did you plunge some spirit creature without an astral-condom?

Ah man, an old buddy went on a bender in the Spirit Plane back in my mage college days. He came back, picked up a sorceress in the bar, brings her back to our place. He screams at the top of his lungs and runs out of the room, butt rear end naked and she comes out next in tears from laughing.

Some spirit-thing he porked turned his dick invisible. Whole thing. He looked like a eunuch. To this day, he still occasionally gets called "Balrek the Dickless"

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Eela6 posted:

:rolleyes:

Sure, buddy.

Hey, I don't Make The Laws, I just Keep Them. Do what thou wilt and all, man. Just don't come crying to us when a demon is using your spleen for a prophylactic.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Who What Now posted:

Who doesn't do this at least once a day? I prefer to change into a snake first, because it adds a nice thematic touch which really helps with sympathetic casting. Although I usually have a side of mashed potatos and some green beans, like how mom used to make.

I wish I hadn't exiled her to the Void Zone. :(

Power_of_the_glory
Feb 14, 2012
You guys really need to stop hating on us part fish people. My grandfather was a deep one and I am proud of my heritage. Being able to live underwater has helped me evade most curious adventure seekers. Most heroes don't want to deal with the oceans what so ever. The few that do are usually too stupid to realize that wearing full plate armor while on deck of their ship is suicide. I have dragged many would be heroes to their doom with just a few simple summoned tentacles. Nothing is more satisfying that watching a Paladin try to remove their armor while they are drowning (most don't even put any points into swimming anyway). I probably have more wealth and souls than all of you and I have never had to make a deal with any abyssal beings or become a lich (because I am already immortal due to my eldritch heritage).

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Any interdimensional travelers here? What would be a more efficient method of moving a giant undead army to one of the infernal planes, opening a portal directly from one of my places of power, or plane shifting to my destination and summoning from there? It should be noted that while I am an accomplished summoner, I am not quite as skilled at sending things to other planes. Oh I can banish things with the best of them, but only one person/monster at a time.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

You guys really need to stop hating on us part fish people. My grandfather was a deep one and I am proud of my heritage. Being able to live underwater has helped me evade most curious adventure seekers. Most heroes don't want to deal with the oceans what so ever. The few that do are usually too stupid to realize that wearing full plate armor while on deck of their ship is suicide. I have dragged many would be heroes to their doom with just a few simple summoned tentacles. Nothing is more satisfying that watching a Paladin try to remove their armor while they are drowning (most don't even put any points into swimming anyway). I probably have more wealth and souls than all of you and I have never had to make a deal with any abyssal beings or become a lich (because I am already immortal due to my eldritch heritage).

There's not enough gold in the elemental plane of wealth that would make smelling like low tide at the pier 24/7 and looking like a Chinatown market special worthwhile.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Look summoning demons and controlling them with virgin sacrifices is one thing but racism isn't cool. There are plenty of methods to cover-up undesired stenches.

E: I don't care if some of you more extreme label me as a Social Justice Wizard because petty infighting is a waste of tjme and should be kept to the other evil groups.

Power_of_the_glory
Feb 14, 2012

Arkanomen posted:

There's not enough gold in the elemental plane of wealth that would make smelling like low tide at the pier 24/7 and looking like a Chinatown market special worthwhile.

I thought that too before the change came. To be honest when I was still "human" I was just a mediocre evil wizard who depended way too heavily on skeletons and fireballs. When I first started getting the classic Innsmouth look, I originally thought that life would not be worth living. But now that I have embraced the new me, I have reached a far greater potential than I ever could back when I was mortal. I may not have my evil castle anymore, but I now rule the entire Bermuda Triangle and have kept it with little effort during the past centuries. I could show you so many wondrous things but I doubt your sanity could handle it.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Goddamn I shoulda teleported to work today but didn't wanna waste regs. Of course the trains are hosed.

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

u lightweights couldn't even feed my shadow ;*

sweet geek swag posted:

Any interdimensional travelers here? What would be a more efficient method of moving a giant undead army to one of the infernal planes, opening a portal directly from one of my places of power, or plane shifting to my destination and summoning from there? It should be noted that while I am an accomplished summoner, I am not quite as skilled at sending things to other planes. Oh I can banish things with the best of them, but only one person/monster at a time.

dash a transportation token (something inanimate but large) with mountain lilly, it'll keep the portal open for a longer period of time. Cotton will expand the entrance for larger transportation jobs.

You'll definitely want to play with the proportions, but don't use too much of either reagent. Portals which are too big may begin to gain a gravitational quality which will suck things in. The big problem with this is that, after a while, objects will be sucked into one side, ejected at the other, then sucked back in before they get too far from the portal. After the portal has grown large enough, objects will begin to exhibit a "swinging" behavior as they move from one side of the portal to the other, then back again. When the portal finally closes, these objects will be ejected like projectiles and may injure standerbys.

It's all fun and games until your undead army becomes another bone fiesta

Fun Fact of the day: Cottoning a portal is doubly-effective when the cotton is picked by Welpshire Imps!

unpleasantly turgid fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Apr 17, 2017

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

this wouldn't be so bad except I NEED TO SEE MY PISS TO DO MAGIC
it's not normal invisible either, getting nothing on my Looking Glass of Magog

fbsw posted:

fbsw posted:

oh yeah and make sure you let it bite your dick first. that part is probably the MOST important. if it doesn't work you'll have to get another rat and get it to bite even harder.

I got twelve rats in before gently caress you

Arkanomen posted:

this was my first thought but I've been in the habit of loving 100% non-magical pumpkins for centuries now
one time a pumpkin turned out to be enchanted but it just made my parts smell like peppermint for a year, it was kinda nice

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

I thought that too before the change came. To be honest when I was still "human" I was just a mediocre evil wizard who depended way too heavily on skeletons and fireballs. When I first started getting the classic Innsmouth look, I originally thought that life would not be worth living. But now that I have embraced the new me, I have reached a far greater potential than I ever could back when I was mortal. I may not have my evil castle anymore, but I now rule the entire Bermuda Triangle and have kept it with little effort during the past centuries. I could show you so many wondrous things but I doubt your sanity could handle it.

I gently caress shoggoths in a gimp suit made from the still living remains of helpless adventurers and I still think that fish-people are icky, no sanity required for that. I mean, if finally growing into your fish fursona got you the confidence to try out some higher level spells then more power to you!

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Peanut Butler posted:

this wouldn't be so bad except I NEED TO SEE MY PISS TO DO MAGIC
it's not normal invisible either, getting nothing on my Looking Glass of Magog
I can't believe I'm saying this but you might want to see a cleric. Keep your face covered and pay in cash.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Eela6 posted:

I can't believe I'm saying this but you might want to see a cleric. Keep your face covered and pay in cash.

I was worried about that, guh

I'll hit up the secret temple underneath The Horse's Meow, its full of idiots who think good is as bad as evil- got a drinking buddy there who is also geas'd to not tell anyone about my hovel, but man undead I don't like pulling from that Jenga tower

Power_of_the_glory
Feb 14, 2012
Anyone have any tips on how to deal with pirates? I stole a drunk pirate captain's ship and now he is trying to reclaim it. This drunk mumbling pirate some how stumbles his way out of all my traps. I just can't stop him. He has stolen my magic compass and has teamed up with the son of a blacksmith in an uneasy alliance. Any ideas?

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Anyone have any tips on how to deal with pirates? I stole a drunk pirate captain's ship and now he is trying to reclaim it. This drunk mumbling pirate some how stumbles his way out of all my traps. I just can't stop him. He has stolen my magic compass and has teamed up with the son of a blacksmith in an uneasy alliance. Any ideas?

Curse him by offering and unlimited source of his his vice. Make him a magical ever-full tankard of grog but all who drink from it are cursed to give the best drunk ever experienced once and then after it never gets them drunk again and they become addicted to the drink so they all start fighting over it. Make some huge myth about some ancient pirate forging it out of a turtle sheep and mermaid tit-milk and it's your prized possession. Just watch he'll lose his loving trying to get that mug.

A 100 years will pass and you'll just be laughing at the ever increasing list of pirates that succumbed to fighting over to what amounts to a 5 copper novelty Mug full of Magical Heroin laced grog.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

It really sounds like you're fishinglooking for something to be offended about, man. Nobody here except that one guy cares if you're a Deep One or that you have Deep One friends.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
Making deals with Abyssals and trying to score the better contract is, like, half the fun. Yeah sure any of us could build an underwater lair and drown idiots, but why cruise by on easy mode?

Have some pride in your work, man. Who cares if you got gold and souls if you're just gonna putz around on the sea floor waiting for elder gods to return?

vcvcvc12
Jun 9, 2013
Hey all, your favorite Paladin here again.

You know what I just discovered? When a paladin puts on a Helm of Opposite Alignment, their alignment changes, but the "lose their Paladin powers" part is bypassed! Case in point: Me.

So I figured, staying a Paladin for now is probably a good idea seeing as everyone trusts me as a result. So I figured I would ask: What kinds of stuff would you do with this kind of opportunity? I'm kinda new to the whole being evil thing, and I want to get some mileage out of this before the Paladin powers go away.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
you better milk those powers for all their worth before your DM sobers up friend.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

vcvcvc12 posted:

Hey all, your favorite Paladin here again.

You know what I just discovered? When a paladin puts on a Helm of Opposite Alignment, their alignment changes, but the "lose their Paladin powers" part is bypassed! Case in point: Me.

So I figured, staying a Paladin for now is probably a good idea seeing as everyone trusts me as a result. So I figured I would ask: What kinds of stuff would you do with this kind of opportunity? I'm kinda new to the whole being evil thing, and I want to get some mileage out of this before the Paladin powers go away.

It's time for some good old fashioned crusading!

Pick a maligned and misunderstood group to blame for the ills of the world and have at it!

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
http://i.imgur.com/uGqtZ47.mp4

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

better find an evil god to worship cause with that 8 int you're not gonna be a wizard enemy.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Not only am I jealous of this kid's amazing finger powers, I am also jealous of his hair and denim jacket. This kid is cooler than I'll ever be.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

this is my car

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Well the teaching gig has been going well, at least mostly. I had a troublesome student and i reflexively enthralled him. I need to reverse it before there's permanent damage to his brain, on the other hand i could use him to motivate other students...

• Locked thread