Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I like Red Tornado, but I like robots in general. Really, he was the best character, and it's not like he was on for no reason. Red Tornado was the mentor character in the original Young Justice comic (which was, in tone, a meld of TV Young Justice and TV Teen Titans Go, as odd as that sounds)

Making a service for DC shows sounds like a terrible idea, and I LIKED Young Justice season one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Vintimus Prime posted:

This is what I love about Mask of the Phantasm. The scene where Bruce is at his parents grave begging to be let out of his vow. He never expected to be happy, found it and has no idea what to do. It also (to me) strikes at the core of Batman essentially not wanting what happened to him to happen to another 8 year old child.

You reminded me of a pretty great issue of the Batman Adventures comic.

Lurdiak posted:

Batman Adventures #33. Bruce Wayne decides to take a day off from being Batman and spend some time with a woman he genuinely cares about, and takes her and her kid to the movies.

He then makes a really lovely excuse to leave her and the kid and tracks down the mugger as Batman. He even brings the baseball cap back to the kid and assures him that the 'bad guy' will never threaten him or his mom again. But, of course....

:smith:

literally a hog
Jan 5, 2006

Mandarrrrrk! Bring me the head of Dexter and Dee Dee shall forever be yours!
I liked both seasons and I've always recommended it to people. Of course Im a big Wally West fan, I also enjoyed season 2 Blue Beetle shenanigans. One of the few shows I actually put up with Cartoon Network's weird long hiatuses and info droughts.

Not excited for a new DC digital service though. Are they at least going to be putting the new episodes onto Netflix after a couple days like CBS will eventually be doing with Star Trek Discovery? Or more likely is this a coming sign of them yanking everything animated DC off Netflix?

Lurdiak posted:

The fact that Young Justice is coming back is definite proof that either there is no god, or the one we do have hates my guts.

Found the gooniest take on this, thanks.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
YJ Season 1 was good? What bizarro world did I walk into?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's sad to see Bruce alone and trying to fight street thugs as an old man, but so long as he's trying to change the world just by personally punch every criminal in the face, he's never going to get ahead of the curve, especially with supervillains in the mix. The only stories I've seen where Bruce Wayne actually attempts to improve the community, it's only really a token effort. No writer wants to tell a story about Bruce Wayne doing social work.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
YJ season 1 is awesome. Be prepared for a lot of "Hello, Megan!" Cringing, but know that it will pay off

YJ season 2 is worse overall, but definitely still worth a watch.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Lurdiak posted:

You reminded me of a pretty great issue of the Batman Adventures comic.

Goddamnit, don't make me see that twice in one day.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I have a random question.

What do you think of "altered origins"? I've been thinking about The Batman a lot lately and I'm remembering how I didn't much care for its version of Robin because it just didn't do anything really interesting with him, IMO. I was very pointedly disappointed with how predictable his origin was.

Now you might say "duh, of course its predictable because the origin is vital to the character and so everyone knows it."

But I feel like origins should have something unique about them for adaptations. For instance, in The Batman, they tied together Batgirl and Poison Ivy's origins by making them school friends.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Don't gently caress with things unless you have something interesting to say, and don't do origins if everyone already knows the origin in the first place.

I never want to see Crime Alley again.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Toshimo posted:

YJ Season 1 was good? What bizarro world did I walk into?

I think YJ started rough but ultimately finished pretty well in it's first season and it looked pretty promising.

And then the second season flushes all that promise down the drain and is just awful. But then, I shouldn't be complaining, that would be playing right into The Light​'s hands...

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Lurdiak posted:

Don't gently caress with things unless you have something interesting to say, and don't do origins if everyone already knows the origin in the first place.

I never want to see Crime Alley again.

This right here. For instance, I like the Ultimate Spider-Man change to Peter's origin by making the spider genetically engineered rather than radioactive and making the webs part of his super powers. However, I also like that BTAS just plunges into Batman. No need to spend an episode (or worse, a two parter) on The Waynes being shot.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

SonicRulez posted:

However, I also like that BTAS just plunges into Batman. No need to spend an episode (or worse, a two parter) on The Waynes being shot.
Going in whole-hog with a goddamn Man-Bat episode, no less. Bless them.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The obsession with having to start with the origin seems like a more recent thing. For some reason at the same time that comic superheroes became more prominent in pop culture, everybody became really self conscious about being some weird nerd thing that normal people might not be aware of.

I don't think they started with the origin even when Batman started out in the comics.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

SlothfulCobra posted:

The obsession with having to start with the origin seems like a more recent thing. For some reason at the same time that comic superheroes became more prominent in pop culture, everybody became really self conscious about being some weird nerd thing that normal people might not be aware of.

I don't think they started with the origin even when Batman started out in the comics.

Batman's debut was Detective Comics #27. His origin was revealed in Detective Comics #33. It didn't take them very long to get to it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

SlothfulCobra posted:

Batman the Animated Series came out right after Batman Returns and at the start seemed to carry elements in common with the Burton movie, like some score elements and the Penguin being a deformed weirdo. It was ambiguously an adaptation, so maybe the network didn't think it was necessary.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Jack Gladney posted:

Batman the Animated Series came out right after Batman Returns and at the start seemed to carry elements in common with the Burton movie, like some score elements and the Penguin being a deformed weirdo. It was ambiguously an adaptation, so maybe the network didn't think it was necessary.

I'm pretty sure the show bible says just that.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The Fox Spider-man cartoon didn't have an origin story until their adaptation of The Boy Who Collected Spider-man for similar reasons. It was supposed to tie in to a movie that got canned that would've introduced and killed off Sandman and done the whole origin thing. That's why Sandman mysteriously never shows up in the show, and instead we get to endure Hydro Man for like 20 episodes.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Yeah BTAS was in a weird quasi canon state where Penguin was a flipper man and the Joker was named Jack Napier but both of them were alive still.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

SlothfulCobra posted:

The movies may be getting the hint, what with the MCU completely skipping over Spidey's origin.

Also I'm pretty sure we didn't learn about the Batman's parent's and his origin until issue 33 of Detective comics.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Which superhero has had the most adapted origin stories? Batman or Spider-Man?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Lurdiak posted:

The Fox Spider-man cartoon didn't have an origin story until their adaptation of The Boy Who Collected Spider-man for similar reasons. It was supposed to tie in to a movie that got canned that would've introduced and killed off Sandman and done the whole origin thing. That's why Sandman mysteriously never shows up in the show, and instead we get to endure Hydro Man for like 20 episodes.

It was also set to feature Electro, which is why that villain only showed up in the last (or second to last?) season as Red Skull's son, Chameleon's brother, with his electric powers making The Most Powerful Communist Super Weapon, capable of stopping any machine on the planet.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Red Skull's son, Communist

His Dad must be so disappointed, and yet he supports his son in his journey still. What a good Dad.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Calaveron posted:

Which superhero has had the most adapted origin stories? Batman or Spider-Man?

Probably Batman and Superman. Don't they both have a bunch of radio series from the 1940s?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

SonicRulez posted:

This right here. For instance, I like the Ultimate Spider-Man change to Peter's origin by making the spider genetically engineered rather than radioactive and making the webs part of his super powers. However, I also like that BTAS just plunges into Batman. No need to spend an episode (or worse, a two parter) on The Waynes being shot.

Ultimate Spider-Man never had organic webbing, those were a creation of Sam Raimi's Spider-Man movie series which Marvel tried to (crappily) adapt into the original 616 Marvel universe with Spider-Man: The Other.

Ultimate Spider-Man never had organic webbing except for when he got the symbiote for a few issues. Then the webbing came from his fingertips.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

ManlyGrunting posted:

His Dad must be so disappointed, and yet he supports his son in his journey still. What a good Dad.

Wait, my bad, it was Fascism's Ultimate Warrior
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B34oUc8CK5o

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

ThermoPhysical posted:

Ultimate Spider-Man never had organic webbing, those were a creation of Sam Raimi's Spider-Man movie series which Marvel tried to (crappily) adapt into the original 616 Marvel universe with Spider-Man: The Other.

Ultimate Spider-Man never had organic webbing except for when he got the symbiote for a few issues. Then the webbing came from his fingertips.

616 Spider-Man actually obtained organic webbing during some lovely crossover event in Spider-Man: Disassembled.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

notthegoatseguy posted:

616 Spider-Man actually obtained organic webbing during some lovely crossover event in Spider-Man: Disassembled.

You're right, for some reason I thought it was The Other. That one was when Morlun showed up...and around the same time I stopped reading Spider-Man. :v:

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

ThermoPhysical posted:

Really? I've been wrong for a long time. Memory ain't what it used to be, I guess.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Wait, my bad, it was Fascism's Ultimate Warrior
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B34oUc8CK5o

And only now do I realize how much his suit looks like it could be a Hydra uniform with some lightning bolts slapped on.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

notthegoatseguy posted:

Probably Batman and Superman. Don't they both have a bunch of radio series from the 1940s?
Yeah but should we really count them at this point? Serials in terms of format are just proto-TV shows. They're not really movies and we're moving into a era where what we call a TV show isn't really a TV show anymore anyway. So we might as well unify serialized film into one category. Also serials didn't really go into the origin stories anyway.

As far as my count, Spider-Man origin is told in Spider-Man, retold and retconned in Spider-Man 3, Spider-Man: TAS, Spectacular Spider-Man, and Amazing Spider-Man.

Batman's origin is told in Batman, retold in Batman Forever, Mask of the Phantasm, Brave and the Bold, Justice League Unlimited kinda, Batman Begins, Batman v Superman. I'm assuming The Batman and Beware the Batman touched on it. And I'm sure some of the lovely direct to video films adapted it. I know Year One does at least.

So Batman for sure. Spider-Man games also rarely touch on it whereas Arkham VR puts you right in the middle of the Waynes' murder.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Definitely way more people are jerking off to pearls slowly hitting the pavement, yeah. Thanks Frank

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Timeless Appeal posted:

So Batman for sure. Spider-Man games also rarely touch on it whereas Arkham VR puts you right in the middle of the Waynes' murder.

Bats re-experiences it as a Scarecrow hallucination in Asylum, can press F to pay respects in City, and I'm sure it's in Origins and Knight somewhere.

I don't even want to know how many times it's been redone in the comics.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Does Gotham count as showing it to since he isn't batman yet? (Or.does the entire series count as showing his origin)

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

bunnyofdoom posted:

Does Gotham count as showing it to since he isn't batman yet? (Or.does the entire series count as showing his origin)

I'd say Gotham counts. Even if just specifically for the same ole Crime Alley blah blah blah.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Lurdiak posted:

Bats re-experiences it as a Scarecrow hallucination in Asylum, can press F to pay respects in City, and I'm sure it's in Origins and Knight somewhere.

I don't even want to know how many times it's been redone in the comics.

I'm fairly sure it also pops up near the end of Knight

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

What did people here think of the Red Hood movie? i saw it years ago and I remember liking it. I'm making my way through Batman everything, for the time being its animated stuff and I was thinking I'd re-watch the movie along with my first re-watch of TAS in...uh, I don't think I ever watched all of TAS, actually.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
It was well received I think.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

NikkolasKing posted:

What did people here think of the Red Hood movie? i saw it years ago and I remember liking it. I'm making my way through Batman everything, for the time being its animated stuff and I was thinking I'd re-watch the movie along with my first re-watch of TAS in...uh, I don't think I ever watched all of TAS, actually.

It was great, probably one of the top 3 best animated Batman movies for sure. Only Joker aside from Ledger and Hamill that I really liked.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

You didn't like Nicholson as Joker?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

NikkolasKing posted:

It was OK. I have never felt the need to rewatch it, but I guess I'm glad I watched it in the first place.