Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Ze Pollack posted:

or, alternately, they do what they did in Georgia, and run the ten-ton-train back over your nuts because 1. it's cheaper 2. what is your rear end going to do, vote for a liberal? you'd sooner drink bleach.

I voted for Al Gore, and would pick him over Bush again for sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Krustic posted:

If that were true then I should be dead a thousand times over.

if only

if only i personally were dead a thousand times over, to clarify, i don't know whether you lust for death as well

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

new phone who dis posted:

That is 100% the status quo. It's been the status quo for decades. It's not working.

The hell it is. How the gently caress is getting paid a quarter of what your labor is worth and living in constant fear of deportation being treated like an American?

e: Actually upon reflection getting paid only a fraction of what you're worth and being terrified of the police is very much The American Experience, I take it back

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

That is 100% the status quo. It's been the status quo for decades. It's not working.

idunno, it works pretty good from the perspective of republicans

gently caress you over mercilessly, tell you all your problems can be solved if we kick the mexicans out, immediately backtrack if it looks for a second like you might actually see any of the gains that were promised, blame continued existence of problems on the mexicans, repeat until you need to replace mexican with a new boogeyman

as long as you're stupid enough to buy that the party of Child Labor's Not That Bad genuinely gives a poo poo about the labor pool being too big, this whole process can repeat forever

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.

World War Mammories posted:

if only

if only i personally were dead a thousand times over, to clarify, i don't know whether you lust for death as well

That's sad. Cheer up. Usually the only time I have suicidal thoughts is when I read this thread.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

george soros' super-weed gave me brokebrains

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Heaven Spacey posted:

The hell it is. How the gently caress is getting paid a quarter of what your labor is worth and living in constant fear of deportation being treated like an American?

e: Actually upon reflection getting paid only a fraction of what you're worth and being terrified of the police is very much The American Experience, I take it back

LOL, truth.

Remember: Reagan gave out an amnesty, and here we are doing the same loving dance decades later. This isn't new and we've tried the "just absorb all of them" thing before. I'm even fine with allowing everyone here currently to stay permanently if the government can show an ability to effectively control the border flow.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Heaven Spacey posted:

genuine belly laugh from me, good one

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

Illegal border traffic is already way down as a result of the election. Keep spinning the neoliberal myth that these things are inevitable and uncontrollable facts of life.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.

george soros' super-weed gave me brokebrains

I only smoke organic weed that is irrigated with holy water while I wear a tinfoil hat. That's why I'm so blessed and haven't died yet.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

I voted for Al Gore, and would pick him over Bush again for sure

and presented with the choice between a con artist who told you "MEXICANS" and someone who unenthusiastically said "increase the minimum wage," you went with the con artist

there's really not much more you could do to demonstrate the Republican Party is free to run that ten-ton-train over your nutsack whenever they want to

solar energy panel
Apr 30, 2007

Toadvine posted:

If you can't sell your platform to voters you clearly don't deserve to win. If you can't follow through on your goals you don't deserve to stay at the helm of government.

This needs to be repeated to certain jokers itt who think one side is on the right side of history and that's all that's required.

Politics is persuasion and one side couldn't even persuade their base to vote same as they did 4 and 8 years ago lol

It all still boils down to the guy you would most like to have a beer with is the one who wins.

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
lol thread's hosed

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

It's down, but the method for controlling the border shouldn't be "scare them away with a populist strong man retard".

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

solar energy panel posted:

It all still boils down to the guy you would most like to have a beer with is the one who wins.

To be fair Hilldawg actually got pretty good turnout relative to previous elections, it's just that the distribution of said turnout was out of whack.

I guess that doesn't really go against the point you quoted since she didn't sell herself or her ideas, such as they were, to the Rust Belt though.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Heaven Spacey posted:

To be fair Hilldawg actually got pretty good turnout relative to previous elections, it's just that the distribution of said turnout was out of whack.

Apparently people liked her so much they resurrected themselves from the dead to vote for her. Some of them even swam the Rio Grande to do it too

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Apparently people liked her so much they resurrected themselves from the dead to vote for her. Some of them even swam the Rio Grande to do it too

They did that so much Trump had to disavow that idea officially cause he had no proof.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

LOL, truth.

Remember: Reagan gave out an amnesty, and here we are doing the same loving dance decades later. This isn't new and we've tried the "just absorb all of them" thing before. I'm even fine with allowing everyone here currently to stay permanently if the government can show an ability to effectively control the border flow.

Move the border to the Panama canal, take Canada, etc

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Literally millions of them I presume

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

The Groper posted:

if we're gonna mimic the fallout timeline i would appreciate it if we could delay the nuclear apocalypse until 2077

e: actually nah

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Instead of going after the exploited folk, i would arrest anyone who violates any labor law with the kind of money we spend on the border.

Note that the trump fans will never touch rich businessmen who exploit these folk, they just want to beat some latinos.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

The Groper posted:

II was just thinking yesterday that I wished Baja was our 51st state. Although I have my problems with illegal immigration I really don't have anything against Mexican people. I'd rather live next to them than most white people.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Panzeh posted:

Instead of going after the exploited folk, i would arrest anyone who violates any labor law with the kind of money we spend on the border.

Note that the trump fans will never touch rich businessmen who exploit these folk, they just want to beat some latinos.

They did that in Georgia and everyone here is calling them morons lol

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Panzeh posted:

The problem with this approach is that neither side of the aisle wants to do it. They both like the exploitation and really many of the people saying "go after the employers" don't actually want you to because it would screw over the workers.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

To be fair that was strictly targeted at illegal immigrants instead of all labor law violations.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

:tinfoil:

Panzeh posted:

This is what I was thinking. It's like prostitution laws; Just blanket making prostitution legal doesn't actually help reduce rates of violence against sex workers because the most exploitative types of prostitution are always going to happen off the books no matter what. Punishing prostitution itself does little to solve the problem either. What actually helps A LOT though is harshly punishing johns. You guys have been talking about illegal immigration reform in such a way that it's totally focused on the undocumented worker as the source of the problem, when the reality is that most of the damage of the situation is being done by the person paying him.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Heaven Spacey posted:

:tinfoil:

This is what I was thinking. It's like prostitution laws; Just blanket making prostitution legal doesn't actually help reduce rates of violence against sex workers because the most exploitative types of prostitution are always going to happen off the books no matter what. Punishing prostitution itself does little to solve the problem either. What actually helps A LOT though is harshly punishing johns. You guys have been talking about illegal immigration reform in such a way that it's totally focused on the undocumented worker as the source of the problem, when the reality is that most of the damage of the situation is being done by the person paying him.

So, there's been some research on the Swedish policy that says the opposite- punishing johns tends to make the pool of johns more violent, not less.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

naaah, building a wall is easier

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Panzeh posted:

So, there's been some research on the Swedish policy that says the opposite- punishing johns tends to make the pool of johns more violent, not less.

Fuckkkk I actually thought it was the other way around and was specifically thinking of the Swedish laws when I wrote that post.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

solar energy panel posted:

You're in for a rough few pages if you're still that far behind, my friend

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

ok i'll give it another shot.

it has been posited in this thread (by new phone who dis, I believe?) that what drives american wages down is a plentiful supply of cheap labor from undocumented immigrants who are willing to work for less.

georgia passed a law that created an experiment to test this hypothesis, by simply forbidding hiring of undocumented workers.

contrary to the hypothesis, grounded in well-trod ideas about supply and demand and the free market, capital in georgia did not respond by raising wages to attract american workers; instead they responded by letting $140 million of produce rot.

this is obviously irrational, which contradicts the free-market capitalist model. the conclusion therefore must be that the problem is not illegal immigrants; it is the irrational georgian capitalist who refuses to cede anything to labor. he shouts about the wise hand of the free market, but he does not pay it any mind; it becomes clear that the hand belongs to him, and that it is a tight fist that belongs to a kleptomaniac. but instead of offering psychiatric help, we ask him to lead our country. he graciously accepts and points out some mexicans who are stealing your money while counting his ill-gotten gains.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Or maybe farm work don't actually follow the standard traditional market model.

Not like anything in real life does...

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Bholder posted:

Or maybe farm work don't actually follow the standard traditional market model.

Not like anything in real life does...

Hmm maybe markets require more than a few months to correct??

No, of course not, labor is instantly mobile and management perfectly adjusts wages instead of loving everything up when anything changes

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
It can take businesses years to figure out major market changes, like not having a free supply of cheap labor you can treat like poo poo

This is also why having a stock market that can change massively in a matter of seconds while true business trends are on a scale of years is a real bad idea, and why obsession with quarterly numbers is destroying proper corporate strategy

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Apr 25, 2017

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

quote:

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/04/25/525619605/federal-court-in-san-francisco-blocks-trump-s-threat-against-sanctuary-cities

A federal judge ruled Tuesday that the Trump administration cannot withhold federal funds from jurisdictions that limit their cooperation with immigration authorities, commonly known as sanctuary cities.

Oh look another major policy initiative declared likely unconstitutional by a federal court.

Let's get Ivanka's hot take on this because everyone knows she is super qualified to be a White House advisor because nepotism and pretty girl.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

It can take businesses years to figure out major market changes, like not having a free supply of cheap labor you can treat like poo poo

This is also why having a stock market that can change massively in a matter of seconds while true business trends are on a scale of years is a real bad idea, and why obsession with quarterly numbers is destroying proper corporate strategy

goddamn capitalism, preventing capitalism from implementing proper capitalism

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

it is true that businesses cannot act instantly. considering that we live in a capitalist nightmare, I would encourage you to spread that knowledge, since I see way too many xfinity commercials talking about "the speed of business" and they make me grumpy.

your stock market/quarterly numbers comment, however, are pretty much along my lines here. free-market capitalism assumes everyone participating is a rational actor, but it's blindingly obvious that Our Betters aren't, and thus the whole thing breaks down.

I offer my sincere apology for skipping over details in a misguided effort to make Spunky Psycho Ho understand something.

alternatively, ^^^

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ze Pollack posted:

goddamn capitalism, preventing capitalism from implementing proper capitalism

It's called rent seeking behavior.

In other news, GOP continues war on women

quote:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/donald-trump-budget-2018-state-department-cut-office-global-womens-issues-oxfam-ivanka-a7701631.html

Donald Trump to strip all funding from State Department team promoting women's rights around the world

Leaked plan comes as First Daughter Ivanka defends her father's record with women

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

it is true that businesses cannot act instantly. considering that we live in a capitalist nightmare, I would encourage you to spread that knowledge, since I see way too many xfinity commercials talking about "the speed of business" and they make me grumpy.

your stock market/quarterly numbers comment, however, are pretty much along my lines here. free-market capitalism assumes everyone participating is a rational actor, but it's blindingly obvious that Our Betters aren't, and thus the whole thing breaks down.

I offer my sincere apology for skipping over details in a misguided effort to make Spunky Psycho Ho understand something.

alternatively, ^^^

This has nothing to do with free markets or capitalism, though. It's purely about market behavior. "Yhe speed of business" is really quite slow, and saying a policy doesn't work because in the first year businesses made mistakes is utterly ridiculous. If this was a $15 minimum wage, I'd say the same thing because thr first year on $15 minimum wage is also probably going to be a shitshow wven though I think it's a good idea that will work long-term

Anyone who says "capitalism" in anythung othwe than the flimsiest discussion probably doesn't know what they're talking about because the term is essentially meaningless in normal use, just like communist is another mostly useless term

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

This has nothing to do with free markets or capitalism, though. It's purely about market behavior.

lol

• Locked thread