Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Azubah posted:

Like ESO but the attacks actually look like they're doing something.

:eyepop:

this is going to be real good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loops
Oct 20, 2011

I got into the beta a few days ago, would it be against the rules to say you can ask me poo poo about it and I'll answer?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
It's against the NDA to say you're in the beta, or post anything about it. Whether that stops you or not is up to you. It's a risk, though probably pretty small unless your account names match or you post video/screenshots (which adds a tiny amount of risk). I don't think we currently have any rules against NDA breaking right now for the forums.

Loops
Oct 20, 2011

Yeah I meant as forum rules go, I don't think the NDA is much of a risk :) so uh anyone have questions about anything specific? I haven't really kept up with the leaks from Reddit so I'm not too sure which info is already out there.
The best new thing that stood out a whole lot to me is the new Agartha, it's definitely lovingly designed with the needs of the players at the forefront and really good looking to boot (although having bankers and auctioneers inside Agartha is weird as hell lore-wise because gaia-empowered immortals playing storage clerk, really?).
Worst new thing that stood out to me was that they added a whole new extra tutorial mission that comes before the Tokyo Subway one and it's kind of horrendous so I'm really hoping this one's just a beta thing.
They also made tweaks to the Tokyo Subway mission that are odd, like outright stating that Orochi was very involved - before there were only mentions of Orochi Tower as one of the affected areas, now it's very explicit that the corporation is deep into it somehow. They also have NPCs in the tutorial visibly use various buffs, cleanses, blood heals and stuff which all feels like a shoutout to old players (hey remember DABS? hmmmm?????) but would probably be just confusing to new players because what are all those random effects happening all the time? Particulary since you can't easily mouseover a buff to check what it's effects are (permanent reticule mode and all), so all you see is a bunch of nondescript yellow icons with mysterious timers. They even have a NPC (Rose White) use Blue Wings at one point, which... um.

Loops fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Apr 16, 2017

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Loops posted:

Yeah I meant as forum rules go, I don't think the NDA is much of a risk :) so uh anyone have questions about anything specific? I haven't really kept up with the leaks from Reddit so I'm not too sure which info is already out there.
The best new thing that stood out a whole lot to me is the new Agartha, it's definitely lovingly designed with the needs of the players at the forefront and really good looking to boot (although having bankers and auctioneers inside Agartha is weird as hell lore-wise because gaia-empowered immortals playing storage clerk, really?).
Worst new thing that stood out to me was that they added a whole new extra tutorial mission that comes before the Tokyo Subway one and it's kind of horrendous so I'm really hoping this one's just a beta thing.
They also made tweaks to the Tokyo Subway mission that are odd, like outright stating that Orochi was very involved - before there were only mentions of Orochi Tower as one of the affected areas, now it's very explicit that the corporation is deep into it somehow. They also have NPCs in the tutorial visibly use various buffs, cleanses, blood heals and stuff which all feels like a shoutout to old players (hey remember DABS? hmmmm?????) but would probably be just confusing to new players because what are all those random effects happening all the time? Particulary since you can't easily mouseover a buff to check what it's effects are (permanent reticule mode and all), so all you see is a bunch of nondescript yellow icons with mysterious timers. They even have a NPC (Rose White) use Blue Wings at one point, which... um.

The only question I have probably can't be answered right now anyway - how smoothly does importing your bling from Ye Olde Secret World go?

I'm assuming that's not available for testing yet though.

Loops
Oct 20, 2011

No, but speaking of smoothly I'm reminded of another thing I noticed - that intermittent stutter/brief FPS drop that happens with annyoing regularity in TSW and makes your game freeze for a split second and you miss an important dodge or fumble a jump - 100% still there

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Did they update the clothing system any? It would be cool if they went less Saint's Row 3 and more Saint's Row 2. Not that either is bad just one is a lot more free form and less pre assembled outfits.

Driya
Feb 16, 2011

I enjoy pretty princessing and one thing that's stood out to me so far is character creation. They added more faces you can select from, but you can't actually customise them beyond changing eye color, makeup, and face tattoos/scars.

It's a tiny petty thing, but it's kind of a bummer

(The combat feels pretty good though, and jumping feels less bad although i haven't had to do any jumping puzzles so i can't be sure)

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Driya posted:

(The combat feels pretty good though, and jumping feels less bad although i haven't had to do any jumping puzzles so i can't be sure)
If achievements are in, go and try Lava Game Champion at the scrapyard. That'll let you know how the jumping is in pretty short order. :v:

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
Almost 15 giggle-bits for the minimal install on SWL, what is the size of the full install? Out doing family things and can't check myself.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I'm actually more excited now than I was before just because now I can get friends to do the paywalled content with me instead of me streaming it or w/e because they aren't a horrible human being (grandmaster) like me who gets all the content for making one terrible decision. Also it makes that decision less terrible. Also now I can actually do tokyo and I'll never have to have hosed with Aegis to see it all, which is a massive plus.

I played this game at launch and loved certain aspects of it, yeah. I loved the story, some of the quests, the atmosphere, the cosmetic items, and the ability wheel / changing up character role on the fly. I hated the "MMO" parts of it, and none of my friends would even try it due to those aspects (groups required, raids, keeping up with the joneses, confusing mechanics, confusing currencies, etc).

I am trying to be cautious about this relaunch but I'm actually giddy. I can't wait to go through this story with my friends.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

How do I try and join the beta?

Jandipoo
Mar 29, 2008

I am the great Cornholio!

Len posted:

How do I try and join the beta?

https://secretworldlegends.com/

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

Loops posted:

No, but speaking of smoothly I'm reminded of another thing I noticed - that intermittent stutter/brief FPS drop that happens with annyoing regularity in TSW and makes your game freeze for a split second and you miss an important dodge or fumble a jump - 100% still there

Wouldn't be secret world without those stutters. They are part of the game lore.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

TracerM17 posted:

Wouldn't be secret world without those stutters. They are part of the game lore.

You joke about this, but with how odd some of the random bits of Tokyo lore got, it wouldn't surprise me.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Variable Haircut posted:

Almost 15 giggle-bits for the minimal install on SWL, what is the size of the full install? Out doing family things and can't check myself.

Minimal? Full? I haven't heard of variable install sizes since the late 90's. What? I don't understand.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Minimal? Full? I haven't heard of variable install sizes since the late 90's. What? I don't understand.

Minimal install lets you play but some zones will require download.

Full install lets you play and hit all zones without downloading in between loading screens. I think Full is about 21GB

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Full is 47.3GB.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
hey guys im gonna play this I think and i was wondering if other people wanted to play the relaunch too once it comes out

well, thats my story

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

eonwe posted:

hey guys im gonna play this I think and i was wondering if other people wanted to play the relaunch too once it comes out

well, thats my story

Eonwe I will definitely join you if you are Illuminati

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
oh yeah, eonwe is 100% Illuminati

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Goa Tse-tung posted:

oh yeah, eonwe is 100% Illuminati

Are you kidding? He's nearly the definition of Chaos.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

He's a pink elephant, they don't pick sides.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

eonwe posted:

well, thats my story

i will paly

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
I set up a beta account last night and played through the tutorial up to Kingsmouth. I think the new tutorial is nicely integrated with the awakening sequence and does a good job of introducing combat mechanics, skill points, weapon upgrading, etc. It still feels a bit spliced in with old unneeded content (like going to the weapon master of your faction despite already doing the combat tutorial and you no longer get to try all 9 weapons).

Combat wasn't as bad as I thought, though my immediate concern is that targeting is not sticky and it gets tough to stick with a single enemy. I worry about how healing will work (how do you pick a friendly target) and I think tanking will be tougher since it's easy to mis-target an expensive ability when there are adds running past you.

It's annoying having a fixed camera since I'm used to panning all around independently of my movement to survey the area and watch how my party is doing in dungeons.

From the recent live stream, I'm interested in the 3 man spec-agnostic dungeons but reports are that they are hilariously easy and not much of a challenge. I get that they are designed to be story experiences, but I imagine it'll be a leap for a lot of players to suddenly get faceslammed by elite dungeons when they're used to strolling through.

Oh, and Agatha is weird. I can't decide if I like it or not. Now you have little objects that shoot you through the air onto disconnected platforms with portals instead of the connected teleporting thing we have now. The centralized city is cool so we don't have to go to London for normal player needs. I imagine the cities will feel more factionalized because of it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Legitimately jealous of you people and your beta access :(

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Len posted:

Did you check your spam folder? That's where mine was.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I will definitely try this once it goes live. I enjoyed testing the original game but things fell flat for me after launch.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Len posted:

:same:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Variable Haircut posted:

Did you check your spam folder? That's where mine was.

Sadly it wasn't there but I did lean Netfilx needs me to give them my username and password in order to keep my account active

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

I got a key 10 days ago and didn't see it, and now it's disabled. Rip.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I got a key 10 days ago and didn't see it, and now it's disabled. Rip.

This happened to a person I know

I pointedly am no longer using the word friend

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Okay, so, how would I play this? I mean, steam doesn't have enough TSW or SWL in my country, are there standalone clients?

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Siegkrow posted:

Okay, so, how would I play this? I mean, steam doesn't have enough TSW or SWL in my country, are there standalone clients?

Secret World Legends isn't out yet, you need to sign up for beta.

Secret World is available, just go to The Secret World website and download the client!

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Capntastic posted:

This happened to a person I know

I pointedly am no longer using the word friend

I just went through a month of spam to make sure this didn't happen to me. Is the From: Funcom though?

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Exmond posted:

Secret World Legends isn't out yet, you need to sign up for beta.

Secret World is available, just go to The Secret World website and download the client!

I know all of that, I was asking in case anyone knew how I could do it once it was out :(

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I just went through a month of spam to make sure this didn't happen to me. Is the From: Funcom though?

Mine was from 'Funcom Newsletters@newsletter.funcom.com'

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Siegkrow posted:

I know all of that, I was asking in case anyone knew how I could do it once it was out :(

Since it's a F2P game I doubt the standard of having one person from another country buy and gift it to you will work will work, unfortunately. You might try it with some DLC but I don't think that'd work either.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Cool, thanks. Most recent thing was a Conan advert from the 3rd :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Len posted:

Are there pretty significant differences with Legends?

• Locked thread