Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Shaggar posted:

so many hospitals and other providers still have xp kicking around.

not to mention CE which has the same problem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Shaggar posted:

so many hospitals and other providers still have xp kicking around.

in 2117 there will still be a lovely beige box running XP that controls some life-critical system of a nuclear power plant or dam or something like that hiding somewhere that everyone has forgotten about

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
there's probably someone still making use of the option to pay Microsoft millions a year for Windows 3.1 support

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ate all the Oreos posted:

in 2117 there will still be a lovely beige box running XP that controls some life-critical system of a nuclear power plant or dam or something like that hiding somewhere that everyone has forgotten about

this is not an explorer.exe of honor

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
no esteemed code is compiled here

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

was this here

quote:

Information security company Tanium is a relatively well-established "next-generation" cybersecurity vendor that was founded 10 years ago—far ahead of the wave of the venture capital-funded newcomers, like Cylance, who have changed the security software space. (Tanium has reached a market valuation of more than $3 billion, though there are no indications of when it will make an initial public offering.)

Starting in 2012, Tanium apparently had a secret weapon to help it compete with the wave of newcomers, which the company's executives used in sales demonstrations: a live customer network they could tap into for product demonstrations. There was just one problem: the customer didn't know that Tanium was using its network. And since the customer was a hospital, the Tanium demos—which numbered in the hundreds between 2012 and 2015, according to a Wall Street Journal report—exposed live, sensitive information about the hospital's IT systems. Until recently, some of that data was shown in publicly posted videos.

In 2010, Tanium's software was installed at Allscripts Healthcare Solutions' El Camino Hospital (which markets itself as "the hospital of Silicon Valley") in Santa Clara County, California. The hospital no longer has a relationship with Tanium. While Tanium did not have access to patient data, the demos showed desktop and server management details that were not anonymized.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
they most certainly would have had access to patient data

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

more like... uh... taint-ium!

... i got nothin'

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
more like lolscripts

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

infernal machines posted:

no esteemed code is compiled here

nul is valued here

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
we considered ourselves to be a powershell culture

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

cis autodrag posted:

more like lolscripts

ive been doing integration w/ them and oh man.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Shaggar posted:

i used to do tech support for their poo poo and horry cow

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

haveblue posted:

lmao

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Number19 posted:

not sure how big a fuckup this is yet but it might get pretty entertaining: https://blog.hipchat.com/2017/04/24/hipchat-security-notice/

yo this might actually be a pretty big fuckup and i expect a lot of :lol:s to be had

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

have some more atlassian fuckups while we're at it: https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/confluence-security-advisory-2017-04-19-887071137.html

quote:

The Confluence drafts diff rest resource made the current content of all blogs and pages in Confluence available without authentication by providing a page id or draft id. Attackers who can access the Confluence web interface of a vulnerable version can use this vulnerability to obtain the content of all blogs and pages inside Confluence provided that they first enumerate page or draft ids.

:cripes:

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Shaggar posted:

lol i did integration with them as well about 7 years ago and yeah

cant believe they're a thing

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

i know guys who are piloting this software, i should point that out

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

lol i did integration with them as well about 7 years ago and yeah

cant believe they're a thing

they are losing market share rapidly. hit is becoming a three horse race between athena, cerner, and epic with the corpses of the other vendors trying to shamble along.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

cis autodrag posted:

they are losing market share rapidly. hit is becoming a three horse race between athena, cerner, and epic with the corpses of the other vendors trying to shamble along.

they deserve it. they were terrible and they've been riding on the fact that they got there first and didn't do poo poo afterwards.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

cis autodrag posted:

whoever wins we all lose, they're all amazingly lovely for users and admins alike

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

they deserve it. they were terrible and they've been riding on the fact that they got there first and didn't do poo poo afterwards.

that other EMR vendors are somehow even more set on archaic means of doing poo poo than Epic always impresses me.

i wonder if they still haven't figured out how to do config mgmt for customer db servers and still make everyone run through a giant excel checklist of sysctls and such.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

ate all the Oreos posted:

In what year will the last COBOL box that runs a bank's stock trades or whatever die?

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

haveblue posted:

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
if you don't get it: http://www.wipp.energy.gov/picsprog/articles/wipp%20exhibit%20message%20to%2012,000%20a_d.htm

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

thanks, joke explainer

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

CommunistPancake posted:

thanks, joke explainer

this, but unironically

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

if you haven't watched into eternity i don't know what to tell you

other than that you could watch it right now on youtube

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

CommunistPancake posted:

if you haven't watched into eternity i don't know what to tell you

other than that you could watch it right now on youtube

wait until spankmeister comes in to tell you what else i haven't watched

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Sefal posted:

Apparently a server was struck with a virus (not crypto) on my vacation. Instead of wiping the server clean and restoring a backup. Which in turn would verify the backup procedure. Boss decided to just run a virus scanner that found and quarantined the virus. And the server has been running ever since.
I have e-mailed my boss that I want to wipe the server and restore it from a backup prior to the date that it was infected. Because I believe the server can no longer be trusted after an infection.
Mostly CYA. Hasn't responded yet.

I expect a no. Would it be ok for me to e-mail people who are higher up about this if he does say no?
I can't sit idly by on a server that i see as a ticking time bomb.

SEKCobra posted:

Not really something that warrants escalation. If the virus is contained, there's not even really any problem with the machine, that's the point of AV. A CYA doesn't hurt, but I don't see how this is in any way a special event if it's just a generic virus.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

geez that SEKCobra guy just keeps digging down

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

fishmech posted:

there's probably someone still making use of the option to pay Microsoft millions a year for Windows 3.1 support

it's the United States Navy probably

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Captain Foo posted:

it's the United States Navy probably

in tyool 2012 my last ship still had at least one win2k standalone system and i think they had finally upgraded all the nt stuff to a custom os. they still had xp, ie6 (maybe 7) and an outdated version of firefox on all the workstations.

the shore command was about half upgraded to win7 while a good chunk were still on xp but it had more up to date browsers.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Carbon dioxide posted:

In what year will the last COBOL box that runs a bank's stock trades or whatever die?

What year is the heat death of the universe scheduled for?

Though those things are all designed so you can continuously hotswap hardware so they're all constantly getting replaced underneath the main code

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
mainframe of theseus

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

Carbon dioxide posted:

heat death of the universe

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

isn't a massive amount of the US DOD payroll system still running on COBOL and they've already had several failed multi-million dollar upgrade projects?

edit: lol yeah that's it http://www.reuters.com/investigates/pentagon/#article/part1

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

mainframe of theseus

nice

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

mainframe of theseus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

mainframe of theseus

• Locked thread