Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
My biggest gripe with Cap and the hammer is that it means Thor is going to probably tie into Secret Empire now, which sucks because I'm loving Thor and the Norse gang vs. the Shi'ar gods and their people.

Just keep my sweet cosmic books to themselves, Marvel :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Nessus posted:

At this point Spencer has to know what he's doing even if he is probably going 'aha, by using their imagery it will be all the sweeter when I do a reversal later!' in his head.

That's probably what Nick Spencer's not-racist brain is thinking in his not-a-nazi head.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
Stormfront (where people who think Hitler was actually great and awesome hang out) are apparently loving this and using Nazi Captain America as a symbol. Add in the tarpit of the alt-right thinking this proves that they're 'reclaiming America' and I can't help but think that a) This is really bad timing by Marvel and B) Spencer's a fuckhead.

Straight Outta CompUSA
Sep 29, 2004

THAT'S NOT A BALD SPOT!! that's just where my cat was eating my dandruff

Dan Didio posted:

That's probably what Nick Spencer's not-racist brain is thinking in his not-a-nazi head.

What's that old saying, "cut a liberal and a fascist bleeds"?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Agreed.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Well, cancelling all of them qualifies as that in a sense...

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

My biggest gripe with Cap and the hammer is that it means Thor is going to probably tie into Secret Empire now, which sucks because I'm loving Thor and the Norse gang vs. the Shi'ar gods and their people.

At least as of the (furthest out) July solicitations, Thor is not tying in.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

OG Thor needs his hammer back by the movie so Mighty Thor can't really afford to give up any issues with the amount of ground they still need to cover.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

^burtle posted:

OG Thor needs his hammer back by the movie so Mighty Thor can't really afford to give up any issues with the amount of ground they still need to cover.

Movie Thor is losing his hammer in the movie so they might not be rushing that.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

PST posted:

Stormfront (where people who think Hitler was actually great and awesome hang out) are apparently loving this and using Nazi Captain America as a symbol. Add in the tarpit of the alt-right thinking this proves that they're 'reclaiming America' and I can't help but think that a) This is really bad timing by Marvel and B) Spencer's a fuckhead.

I like to cheer for the villains in the first act of a movie, and act like they'll never be thwarted by the heroes.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

...what did that have to do with anything?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Roth posted:

...what did that have to do with anything?

I doubt the ending of Secret Empire is that Nazi Cap is in charge of the world.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I mean, the point was that actual Nazis love Nazi Cap, and are using him as a symbol.

I don't think anybody here thinks this will end in anything but the heroes winning in the end.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I assume that the Nazis will claim that the SWJcucksquadron forced them to change Captain America back or something and continue to use Nazimerica as a symbol of how it should be.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I seriously doubt Stormfront will be surprised when the nazis lose, or that it will dampen their enthusiasm for Nazi cap. Nick Spencer is not a mastermind setting them up for a fall.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

I seriously doubt Stormfront will be surprised when the nazis lose, or that it will dampen their enthusiasm for Nazi cap. Nick Spencer is not a mastermind setting them up for a fall.
And they have a stockpile of images to use till the end of time!

(current estimate: 4 months from now)

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea nazi cap is just gonna keep being a thing bad people parade around now

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
Yeah, I remember an old SA thread about terrible myspace pages, and all the white nationalist types had American History X as their favourite movie. If people don't expect to get any mainstream representation then they will run with whatever they can get.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

So the story trailer for the new MvC came out today and I don't know why they're not doing an event for that as opposed to this clusterheck.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Marvel knows where the real money is.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Maybe I'm missing something because I haven't read SE#0 yet, but considering the entire story arc is like 99% guaranteed to end with the Nazis losing I'm having a hard time understanding why people are finding it so objectionable.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

fadam posted:

Maybe I'm missing something because I haven't read SE#0 yet, but considering the entire story arc is like 99% guaranteed to end with the Nazis losing I'm having a hard time understanding why people are finding it so objectionable.

Welcome back to the thread. I suggest reading the previous pages that discussed just that.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

glitchwraith posted:

Welcome back to the thread. I suggest reading the previous pages that discussed just that.

I have, and I still don't get it.

Like, who gives a poo poo if Nazis think its cool that a character was briefly made a Nazi before getting the poo poo beat out of him? Nazis are stupid.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

fadam posted:

Like, who gives a poo poo if Nazis think its cool that a character was briefly made a Nazi before getting the poo poo beat out of him? Nazis are stupid.

Because they'll use that imagery as propaganda forever and maybe doing anything that makes actual, literal, no-poo poo Nazis happy for even a second is something that should be avoided at all costs?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Like the Punisher.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

rantmo posted:

Because they'll use that imagery as propaganda forever and maybe doing anything that makes actual, literal, no-poo poo Nazis happy for even a second is something that should be avoided at all costs?

That's always going to happen though. Here's the Stormfront movie review board: https://www.stormfront.org/forum/f101/. Here's some right wing mutant jacking off about how My Little Pony is a nationalist master piece http://thefederalist.com/2017/04/17/4-positive-countercultural-messages-little-pony/. Nazis find pro-Nazi messages in literally everything.

From the beginning of this whole stupid story line Nazi Cap was portrayed as a "bad thing," and the story is going to end with him losing. It doesn't get more anti-Nazi than that.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

fadam posted:

Because of several reasons.

It seems to be making GBS threads on the core concepts and ideals behind captain america as well as the original creators intentions of the character.

It pushes some really questionable referencing that has people concerned (see capt with mjollnir, the whole nazis actually won ww2 backstory).

The writer in charge has some really questionable personal views in relation to the topic. (i.e. his racism)

It's at a really lovely time politically, where actual fascism and racism is taking a front and center stage.

frodnonnag fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Apr 25, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Aphrodite posted:

Like the Punisher.

And Rorschach, I suppose. :shrug:

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Speaking of Nick Spencer being an idiot:

https://twitter.com/stichomancery/status/856860840091410432

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

frodnonnag posted:

It seems to be making GBS threads on the core concepts and ideals behind captain america as well as the original creators intentions of the character.

It pushes some really questionable referencing that has people concerned (see capt with mjollnir).

The writer in charge has some really questionable personal views in relation to the topic. (i.e. his racism)

It's at a really lovely time politically, where actual fascism and racism is taking a front and center stage.

1. It's not really. Even if it wasn't an obviously totally temporary thing, didn't reality have to get totally rewritten for him to turn into a Nazi?

2. I thought it was the other universe bad mjollnir that you can only hold if you're an rear end in a top hat?

3. Yes, Spencer is a loving idiot.

4. The facists and racists literally lose.

I agree the event is probably going to be a gigantic lovely waste of time, I just think all the pearl clutching is pretty dumb.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

frodnonnag posted:

It pushes some really questionable referencing that has people concerned (see capt with mjollnir, the whole nazis actually won ww2 backstory).

And also because Spencer hasn't thought a loving thing through, the retcon makes Captain America complicit in the Holocaust which is also profoundly not ok.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
i've been pretty cool with hydra cap so far, and most of the criticisms have gone past me... but that heroic-looking mjolnir image has me reeeeally thinking uhhh... yeah i don't know.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Is this big news in America? Has it been in big newspapers and on news channels? How widely has the non-comic news covered it? I know big things like this sometimes get a little attention from the mainstream outlets.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

Is this big news in America? Has it been in big newspapers and on news channels? How widely has the news covered it?

Here in Canada, the only people I see talking about it are people bitching about it. I've yet to see any actual news coverage from normie sites, though.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

Is this big news in America? Has it been in big newspapers and on news channels? How widely has the non-comic news covered it? I know big things like this sometimes get a little attention from the mainstream outlets.

There was a big social media uproar in response to the initial Hydra Cap reveal that extended beyond the normal comic readers, but I don't know if mainstream media ever picked it up. The continuing story doesn't seem to be making as much of a splash.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Nope nazis have never twisted a symbol and made it irredeemable.
:feelsgood:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

fadam posted:

1) Showing the "bad guys" losing in, like, probably the very last issue of this year long storyline (which also included the main Captain America book) doesn't suddenly omit all those issues where the "bad guys" were shown being edgy and hardcore and badass and smart and powerful and pulling one over on all those dense clueless liberal "good guys," except in this case the bad guys are people who directly abetted in the Holocaust and not the guys who stole forty cakes.

2) This is during a time in the world where antisemitic rhetoric is seeing a startling resurgence -- or maybe just coming back into the light again after hiding away for a bit -- and Holocaust denialism, vandalism of public Jewish spaces, and outright physical violence being more and more common occurrences.

3) Readers in general have been consistently burned by Marvel's consistently tone-deaf depictions of moral or social narratives throughout their events (Civil War: police states are great!) (Civil War II: police states are great!) (IvX: Cyclops is loving HITLER). Jewish readers, in particular, have good reason to not to trust Marvel to be respectful and tactful of their issues. Any such complaints or concerns have been responded to with derision or misunderstanding on Spencer's part, which only makes people angrier and more wary. (Maybe as a self-fulfilling prophecy, if you like)

4) Indeed, Marvel and Spencer's go-to insistence that Hydra are totally not Nazis at all and you're just being nitpicky if you say they're Nazis just further makes them come across as tone-deaf and bullish on the matter, on top of (probably unknowingly) mirroring the talking points of actual real life Nazis who've been trying to rebrand themselves as something different for years.

5) "I don’t care if this gets undone next year, next month, next week. I know it’s clickbait disguised as storytelling. I am not angry because omg how dare you ruin Steve Rogers forever. I am angry because how dare you use eleven million deaths as clickbait."

6) Spencer's work with Sam Wilson Captain America, which generally turns him into a centrist apologist who couldn't believe that he himself was ever that much of an annoying liberal activist or something and occasionally fights literal "social justice warriors" on college campuses throwing bombs and internet slang, doesn't really make that fanbase particularly fond of him.

7) In a world where an X-Men artist is literally sneaking secret antisemitic propaganda into books that are supposed to celebrate diversity and civil activism, can you really blame people for being antsy about a comic book that reveals Captain America was a secret Nazi all along and is making Stormfront cream themselves.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
The thing is that Nazis, racists, and general fascists are very good at finding symbols, even if they have to warp the original work's meaning beyond recognition. As fadam points out, a casual perusal of the Stormfront message board is enough to show that. I used to have a thread bookmarked on there that deliberately reimagined World of Warcraft as an anti-multicultural war against the evils of miscegenation, which requires the reader to voluntarily ignore truly broad swaths of the text. Internet Nazis have become very good at alternate reinterpretations, and not doing things because you're worried the Nazis will pick it up and use it as a symbol is a good way to argue against not doing anything.

It's a bit like not publishing your novel because you're worried about the "rule 34" reaction. You can't police that. All you can do is try to avoid it and laugh it off when it happens. The audience reaction is entirely out of the creator's hands.

You can accuse the Secret Empire plot of a lot of things; it's tone-deaf, you can poke holes in its plot all day (although many of them can be justified neatly, as the reality warp is a historical edit carried out with a dull axe by an angry child), it's pretty clearly in bad taste (although Steve's version of HYDRA is more theoretically benevolent than the Skull's), and it couldn't have started at a worse time. Being worried about the Internet Nazis' reaction, however, is a step too far, because as has already been noted, the story is almost certainly going to end with a resounding defeat and a reaffirmation of Steve Rogers as a saintly FDR-style Democrat. If they start picking up Secret Empire on the basis that it's supporting them, they're almost certainly going to be upset with how it ends.

BrianWilly posted:

7) In a world where an X-Men artist is literally sneaking secret antisemitic propaganda into books that are supposed to celebrate diversity and civil activism, can you really blame people for being antsy about a comic book that reveals Captain America was a secret Nazi all along and is making Stormfront cream themselves.

To be fair, it's expressly not "all along."

Wanderer fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Apr 26, 2017

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Just because Nazis will co-opt anything they can get their hands on doesn't mean you have to go out of your way to give them want they want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
Nazis aren't having to warp the meaning. Marvel have made their meaning entirely clear both in the comics and interviews and it's that Captain America is and always has been a Nazi (technically Hydra but that's like saying fascists that love Hitler aren't technically Nazis).

The symbol of American perseverance, created by two Jewish guys who took a bold early stance against Hitler a year before America entered the war has been turned into a fascist.

Add in the tone deaf poo poo like Marvel encouraging and rewarding people who dress as Nazis and the whole thing is a loving clusterfuck.

Edit: According to the writers, the truth is that Captain America was always a Nazi and that the allies used a cosmic cube to rewrite history so he wasn't and they won. And somehow left in the holocaust...

So yes, their new version is that he has always been a Nazi. Just read the comics or google it given there are dozens of places this is discussed including this thread.

PST fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Apr 26, 2017

• Locked thread