Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

IronCastKnight posted:

I went through the vast majority of the game using the iron pipe, because while it's not especially fantastic at first it becomes an absolute monster with Critical Up and Taunt chips equipped. Plus it's the iron pipe, and my love for the first Nier is so deep and endless I caught every fish and did Life in the Sands the legit way.

On second thought, I may be somewhat broken. Pipe!

We are all broken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Nier Automata developed by Infinity Ward.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
On the topic of character designs, here's an excerpt from a Yoko Taro interview:

"Taro also said that NieR: Automata protagonist 2B’s design wasn’t meant to be very sexy at first, however when he received the original designs he told the 3D modelers to make her butt as perfect as they possibly could, otherwise they’d be fired."

Was he joking? The modelers probably didn't want test that.

HR12345
Nov 19, 2012
It's hard to try and reproduce the Machines' voice naturally. I feel like when I do so, they come off sounding like Daleks.

Can you imagine the pepper pots screaming THIS CANNOT CONTINUE?

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.
Not my work, but someone else has a different idea on how the bed situation goes.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The two times I went to collect the Iron Pipe, I got them on the first cast so I had assumed that it was automatically the first thing you get there. 35 minutes fishing is some bullshit.

apocalypticCritic
Mar 19, 2014

Abhorrence posted:

Not my work, but someone else has a different idea on how the bed situation goes.

-Image Removed To Keep Post Small-

I always just figured 9S just stands around watching 2B sleep, since we never see any reason to assume otherwise. It's the Tethercat Principle.

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

I feel that contrast between "This Cannot Continue" and Amusement Park is really, really great. It kinda notches The gently caress scale a bit more.

Pity that Yoko Taro haven't done Pig №3 problem with pods. It would have been funny joke to all the players.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Given that Drakengard 3 basically established that the multi-verse is a thing, I'm okay with both Papa Nier and Brother Nier being canon.
For a time, I thought the two Niers were father and son and the version of the game chosen decided if Nier Sr. or Nier Jr. would survive to take care of Yonah. However, Papa Nier's backstory puts a pretty big kibosh on that theory.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
I've seen one comic artist play for a few strips with the idea that androids with free will would just have their own tastes in clothes. Clearly they have some desire for clothing, either practical or preferable, since the resistance isn't naked even after being left mostly to their own devices for however many years/centuries. Certainly, modern YoRHa isn't rolling out baggy pants and cloaks these days to supply drop for the planetside droids. That or those are their original clothes and moon/space fabric is intensely sturdy.

The Dark Id posted:

vaguely urban setting in a video game Who is ready

If climb this, we find ourselves...

Missing a period in that first one.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

It may not matter if they have a desire for clothing - I'd believe that the clothing is built in to the chassis and doesn't come off. Unless you do something silly like set off your self destruct device, of course.

I mean, I'm sure Japan would think it's necessary for their combat battle droids to have skin under their clothes but most people wouldn't care much. Why have two layers when you can have one that looks like clothes? This of course presupposes you want your combat battle droids to look like humans.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I interrupt this on topic discussion to rant about something semi-Spec Ops related.

Mainly, the you shall not kill bullshit in games that want to look more than just an FPS.

It worked fine in Deus Ex, because the choice was up to you, and kill/no kill/some kill run would only be influenced by Paul telling you that you're (ultra sweet nanobot enhanced trench coat wearing) cops, and your own sense of who deserves to be capped or not. Game journalists loved, everyone harped on it for year.

Cue Metro 2033 and more egregiously Human Revolution and Dishonored. The games and their promotion ran on shots and videos of you being a guns blazing badass who punches people through walls, teleport stabs them and so on. The games have so many guns, and powers, and options for you to kill stuff.

Instead, Metro gives you the bad ending for killing, even if people you meet and kill are literal Nazis and rape murder bandits, who would presumably continue doing their stuff if it wasn't just a linnear FPS/was real world. In Human Revolution, you constantly get your rear end chewed out for killing, with mass murdering corporate mercs going WE'RE NO DIFFERENT because you accidentally killed a dude once. You have to play Bionic Jesus with guys who just killed an entire apartment block full of people and worse. Plus, if you go the Stealth Jesus route, you get 200% XP that you would get for using rifles, guns and sweet hand blades.

In Dishonored, you even have to give major villains ironic fate-worse-that-death non-kill options, because Corvo D'Artano Shall Not Kill. If you kill, plague will kill everyone, because the rats will feed on the corpses.

You could make an argument that having a full array of kill options and then letting the player not use them is some sort of commentary on choice and stuff, but games that try to ape Deux Ex 1 try to enforce the No Kill, No Fun option on you as the right one.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009
But what if you were fighting shadowy mobs, or machine lifeforms...

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

I've just been assuming the commander is responsible for the dress code...

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

JcDent posted:

I interrupt this on topic discussion to rant about something semi-Spec Ops related.

Please don't.

quote:

In Dishonored, you even have to give major villains ironic fate-worse-that-death non-kill options, because Corvo D'Artano Shall Not Kill. If you kill, plague will kill everyone, because the rats will feed on the corpses.

If you are killing stuff, then the game's story warps such that people send out more guards that you can kill, and the opposite if you're nonlethal. Thus, the game gives you exactly what you want. It's good design that story supports gameplay goals.

Hence why Automata (EXPERT SEGUE) gives you, a player who wants to stylishly slice thousands of things apart with fantastic Platinum hack-n-slash animations, an endless war with waves of enemies that nobody will mind having hacked into tiny bits.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

JcDent posted:

I'm pretty sure you can get the low chaos ending even if you do the lethal kills on all the main targets - the game just counts the bodies at the end of the level, not paying a huge amount of attention to who's who.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Dishonored low chaos is intentionally pretty easy, really. You basically have to go out of the way to kill people. If you put in any sort of effort to do the nonlethal stuff, or just run past guards, you will hit it. The more convoluted nonlethal boss solutions are generally more fun than just shooting them in the face, giving more of the level an actual point.

Metro 2033's good ending is intentionally nigh-on impossible to hit. The point of that story is really that humanity kinda loving deserve the apocalypse, that even after the end they've learnt nothing.

In DXHR the people you kill are essentially irrelevant. You will get more XP going pacifist but the returns diminish because you will easily get enough skill points to unlock everything anyway, and if you are full pacifist you will find you have nothing worthwhile to spend your points on. What mainly changes is whether you have credibility to call the villains of the game out on their bullshit.

In Nier Automata, well I don't think it's spoilers (but tagged to be safe) to say that 2B kinda has been fighting this war for a while, so I don't really see how you would expect that killing or not killing here would really change who she is.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Apr 25, 2017

FishOnAPiano
Oct 9, 2012

Welp, so much for my assumption that the big circular thing in the top right was a radar dish type thing!

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Fangz posted:

Dishonored low chaos is intentionally pretty easy, really. You basically have to go out of the way to kill people. If you put in any sort of effort to do the nonlethal stuff, or just run past guards, you will hit it. The more convoluted nonlethal boss solutions are generally more fun than just shooting them in the face, giving more of the level an actual point.

The second game actually plays around with the chaos system a bit. You see,the heart now has an additional gameplay function. You get more chaos from killing people the heart identifies as just doing their job to feed their kids and less from people who set puppies on fire. It's not perfect,but it's a neat idea.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
Dishonored having all the non-lethal quest solutions be clearly far and away more hosed up and morally indefensible was a great idea.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Under the vegetable posted:

Dishonored having all the non-lethal quest solutions be clearly far and away more hosed up and morally indefensible was a great idea.

I think the first and last one before the mid-game twist are quite easy to justify.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I don't remember anyone in DEHR giving two shits how many people you killed. The only thing that changes in a non-lethal run is a line of dialog after the very first mission. You get more experience for non-lethal takedowns, but you also get more for headshots.

Anyway, this is all super irrelevant to Nier Automata, which never punishes you for cutting up machines, who are clearly just mindlessly repeating words they learned from old human records anyway.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The two times I went to collect the Iron Pipe, I got them on the first cast so I had assumed that it was automatically the first thing you get there. 35 minutes fishing is some bullshit.

I had a similar problem. I can confirm that that pipe can go gently caress itself.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

DE:HR was stupid because non-lethal takedowns and lethal are the same thing. You could knock someone out but they'd still never wake up or move from where they were regardless of who saw them and where they were. At least when I played they didn't.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Josuke Higashikata posted:

DE:HR was stupid because non-lethal takedowns and lethal are the same thing. You could knock someone out but they'd still never wake up or move from where they were regardless of who saw them and where they were. At least when I played they didn't.

Enemies can wake up sleeping enemies if they discover them in DEHR.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Grapplejack posted:

I had a similar problem. I can confirm that that pipe can go gently caress itself.

It was really weird for me. Back when I played, I just randomly fished some times. Then I saw that I could catch some cool trash with lore, so I kept fishing. After a while, I would only get repeats and I moved on with my life.
Eventually I found out that the pipe existed. I went back there and it was the first thing I caught.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I used Mr. Pipe a heckuva lot my first playthrough. Managed to upgrade it a couple of times early on and it just did huge numbers on everything.

And I was not expecting the Amusement Park at all. I was expecting Nudey Sephiroth Terminators to at least be the weirdest thing for a while, but no, it topped itself almost immediately.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Turning that corner and seeing the amusement park made me just stare in awe for a few minutes before muttering a very confused "...what"

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

VolticSurge posted:

The second game actually plays around with the chaos system a bit. You see,the heart now has an additional gameplay function. You get more chaos from killing people the heart identifies as just doing their job to feed their kids and less from people who set puppies on fire. It's not perfect,but it's a neat idea.

Whoa really? I never noticed that, that's actually pretty neat.

More on topic: The Pipe is actually a pretty decent weapon, because Critical hits in this game are borderline overpowered. I think they do something like four or five times the damage of a normal attack? It doesn't take much to build your character in a way that you'll be getting several crits per combo and just melting enemies with your dopey iron pipe. That being said, there are other weapons later in the game that are just a straight upgrade from the pipe as far as I can tell. But come on, you can be a gothic lolita android smashing machines to bits with an iron pipe, what more could you ask for? A crowbar, maybe?

EDIT: How the hell did my phone go from "crits" to "frogs"?

Augus fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Apr 25, 2017

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Augus posted:

It doesn't take much to build your character in a way that you'll be getting several frogs per combo and just melting enemies with your dopey iron pipe.

Shh, don't talk about the frogs. No mechanical spoilers!

:P

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

Qrr posted:

Shh, don't talk about the frogs. No mechanical spoilers!

:P

Given that we are dealing with robots and androids, aren't all spoilers mechanical spoilers? :haw:

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug
drat missed one of the best updates due to work and... WoW, but yeah loved the way they introduced Adam then just sort of drops it and leaves you going "what the gently caress?!" and then just hard transitions into the Amusement Park so we're now at the happiest place in the world! Glory to Mankind!

Augus posted:

EDIT: How the hell did my phone go from "crits" to "frogs"?

:allears:

Thisuck fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Apr 25, 2017

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

My favorite enemy tracking thing was Alpha Protocol's 'no judgment but here's the cost of hospital bills you've caused and the number of orphans you've created,' because every ko and bit of damage were tracked, and every npc had a preset number of kids, with some types of enemy (Arab insurgents, say) having far more than others (black ops British mercenaries).

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe

Mors Rattus posted:

My favorite enemy tracking thing was Alpha Protocol's 'no judgment but here's the cost of hospital bills you've caused and the number of orphans you've created,' because every ko and bit of damage were tracked, and every npc had a preset number of kids, with some types of enemy (Arab insurgents, say) having far more than others (black ops British mercenaries).

The best was Star Fox 64, where you and your team just gently caress off in the middle of the award ceremony and then send the president a bill based on how many enemies you killed along the way.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Mors Rattus posted:

Alpha Protocol was a great game that mostly just lacked a bit of polish to take it to the top of everyone's best-game-of-all-time list. Shame it's been declared that it won't be turned into a franchise with any sort of sequels or otherwise be continued-upon.

One thing always bugged me about Alpha Protocol, though. The game largely let you spare everyone, even though it wasn't always easy, you could let even the most irredeemable dickheads in the game off the hook... except for this one guy who, by the game's standards, wasn't even that bad, mostly just kind of annoying, and no matter what, you have to kill him.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Sometimes someone has to die

I should really get around to playing that. It's been my one big shame item in my backlog for... like maybe 7 years?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
The thing that gets me about the amusement park is that someone's been doing maintenance. Why would alien invaders...?

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Glazius posted:

The thing that gets me about the amusement park is that someone's been doing maintenance. Why would alien invaders...?

Maybe they're from Omicron Persei 8?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Glazius posted:

Maybe that's why they invaded.

They were jealous of our amusement parks, and decided to take them over for their own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

It's been 10,000 years, I imagine that at least SOME of the earth got rebuilt during that time. And then destroyed again.

• Locked thread