Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Turdsdown Tom posted:

fog or a snowstorm or even a particularly heavy rainstorm can easily obscure your view of the road, and you have to account for people who don't live in the area and know exactly how the layout of every road is.

This, especially when there's no streetlights around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

mamosodiumku posted:

While were on this subject, what's the explanation for this Tesla only on ramp?

Wow, and I thought CT-15 was bad.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

mamosodiumku posted:

While were on this subject, what's the explanation for this Tesla only on ramp?

these frontage roads or whatever the gently caress they're called that run literally parallel to highways are the craziest poo poo ever and the states that build them are loving insane. there are a few I see frequently near colleges in Boston and I often wonder how more pedestrians don't get slammed by people taking exits through these roads. like this:

at night there are like 300 billion cars parked along the street and college kids are everywhere and they all walk in the street. cars making a right hand turn to go through to the one way street, which at first glance looks like a Do Not Enter but is actually only a timed Do Not Enter, slam their brakes all the time because they can't see people walking until they walk right out into the road. it's loving stupid. what a dumb thing

barnold fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Apr 26, 2017

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

sleepy.eyes posted:

When you are at a stoplight there are three options:

A) turn left
B) turn right
C) drive directly into the house in front of you

Why is it necessary to have a huge reflective sign with arrows pointing out that you only should choose A or B?
The put the big signs and flashing arrows here after a bunch of people died.
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.1552168,-73.4269825,3a,75y,14.09h,72.06t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sSijPy_n080vvm74iFFhfgg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

chmods please posted:

Wow, and I thought CT-15 was bad.

Check out this whole interchange. Completely hosed, and I think it's the most dangerous one in CT.
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.1431075,-73.4236809,3a,75y,260.21h,71.24t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1serVPWcesfa1Yo67BrjZWSQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

lol this totally reminds me of the end of the Lowell Connector. whenever a multiple lane highway ends abruptly, poo poo is about to go wrong constantly

quote:

Check out this whole interchange. Completely hosed, and I think it's the most dangerous one in CT.
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.1431075,-73.4236809,3a,75y,260.21h,71.24t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1serVPWcesfa1Yo67BrjZWSQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

oh my loving god please don't tell me people trying to continue onto Creeping Hemlock Dr enter the 40B onramp....and then cross-over the 40B off-ramp to get to the residential area. this might be the worst thing I've ever seen in this thread. it definitely has got to be up there. that's mindblowing.

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

GWBBQ posted:

Holy poo poo that's insane. I'm glad I've only ever driven past it and never needed to enter the madness there.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

chmods please posted:

Holy poo poo that's insane. I'm glad I've only ever driven past it and never needed to enter the madness there.

And it will forever stay that way thanks to the Merritt Parkway Conservancy.

Also, that's the only way to get from the Merritt Parkway west to Route 7, so enjoy that trip on local roads!

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Turdsdown Tom posted:

oh my loving god please don't tell me people trying to continue onto Creeping Hemlock Dr enter the 40B onramp....and then cross-over the 40B off-ramp to get to the residential area. this might be the worst thing I've ever seen in this thread. it definitely has got to be up there. that's mindblowing.
That's exactly what they have to do. I take 40B even when I'm getting off to go south because holy poo poo, gently caress trying to safely slow down and not roll your car.

I have another local oddity for you. It's been redone since, but look at the road markings on the highway entrance ramp. Why would those be there?

There used to be a house with a driveway on the entrance ramp

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Turdsdown Tom posted:

these frontage roads or whatever the gently caress they're called that run literally parallel to highways are the craziest poo poo ever and the states that build them are loving insane. there are a few I see frequently near colleges in Boston and I often wonder how more pedestrians don't get slammed by people taking exits through these roads. like this:
Frontage roads are fine, but having them join the freeway so sharply is insanity.

This is how normal states do them. Notably, you get to them via normal interchanges instead of barreling in directly from the freeway.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

kefkafloyd posted:

And it will forever stay that way thanks to the Merritt Parkway Conservancy.

Also, that's the only way to get from the Merritt Parkway west to Route 7, so enjoy that trip on local roads!

Holy gently caress, is that little brick house the only reason they haven't built a real ramp? Is it super old (by American standards)? I can't figure out what's going on with that little fence around it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

PittTheElder posted:

Holy gently caress, is that little brick house the only reason they haven't built a real ramp? Is it super old (by American standards)? I can't figure out what's going on with that little fence around it.

Er, that's clearly an electrical substation or other form of utility building (could be something to do with water or natural gas I guess) designed as a little brick house to blend in with the neighborhood. That's why it has a fence around, it you don't want neighborhood kids messing with dangerous equipment.

You'd need to take out the entire road and its houses to actually build a safe exit there.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

PittTheElder posted:

No, it hasn't been built because the Parkway has to be frozen in time to "preserve its historic character."

I'm being facetious, but only a little. People specifically want US 7 / Merritt interchange to be substandard because they don't want traffic, but the traffic is already there, it just makes things worse for everybody.

If they built a proper US 7 interchange that exit would cease to exist, because there would be no room for that exit and a proper interchange. They would probably rebuild one a bit further down the road, if they had to.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Does anyone know any good resources about corners in residential areas? In my area it seems to have been built with very rounded corners which encourage drivers to take corners very fast, if the streets were redesigned (possibly with a bollard on the corner) to be more square I think it would help.

There are way more cars flipped then seem reasonable for inner london.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Sri.Theo posted:

Does anyone know any good resources about corners in residential areas? In my area it seems to have been built with very rounded corners which encourage drivers to take corners very fast, if the streets were redesigned (possibly with a bollard on the corner) to be more square I think it would help.

There are way more cars flipped then seem reasonable for inner london.

Yeah, unless you have big rig trucks or long buses turning then big rounded corners are just going to encourage speeding and drastically decrease safety for people trying to cross the street. The ideal solution is to have tight corners with low curbs that something like an infrequent oversize vehicle could mount.

Here's a good before/after on an intersection and streets after narrowing the roads and making sharper corners.
https://bicycledutch.wordpress.com/2016/09/27/designing-for-people-by-erasing-a-car-friendly-past/

Here's another on taking 1960's residential streets and making them much more modern and safe by narrowing them and other improvements
https://bicycledutch.wordpress.com/2013/08/08/making-a-1960s-street-grid-fit-for-the-21st-century/

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

Oooh are we discussing two-way slip roads?

https://goo.gl/maps/V5qJzG93EgH2

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Hey Dutch Goons, how would you guys handle a 1 way street crossing a 2 way street in terms of bike lanes? My city just implemented a gold plated AAA bi-directional protected lane down the side of a one-way street, except every intersection feels extremely unsafe and is a mess of special signals and bike boxes and non-intuitive rules that confuse everyone.

I was trying to find a similar location in NL but failed to, the idea of a street grid of mixed one-way and two-way streets feels pretty north american.

Here it was pre bike lane.

And here's what they've done and their instructions for how to make some of the turns.

I feel like in the netherlands they'd have handled this much better. Lefts would still be a 2-movement crossing, but the lanes and infrastructure would have been built to make this much more intuitive.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
In the Netherlands we wouldn't need to touch the main part of the crossing anyways, there'd be separated bike paths all around the crossing if it involves roads with so many lanes. Since they'd be on both sides on the road even for the one-way street, everything would work as normal and you would not have these weird turns.

I can't think of any multiple lane one way streets that have a bike path on only one side, but the turning patterns would probably be the same as on the images you showed, just with everything happening on separate bike paths/lanes at the sides instead of biking through the car area. Some of the paths crossing the legs of the intersection would be bidirectional to connect to the bidirectional cycleway next to the one-way street, as needed for this to work.

Entropist fucked around with this message at 21:54 on May 2, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So the main problem is that they made a single bi-directional lane rather than one on each side, and then a normal "dutch style" intersection in the middle?
I think the reason they only have the lane on one side is mostly political. Getting rid of a few curb parking spots sends local business into a rage because shop owners are mostly all idiots who have no understanding on how people actually get to their shops. 500 parking spots in a huge parkade behind them plus 200 more within a block? Removing 5 spots from the block will decrease my business by 50%!!! I have 10 spots in front of my store, if you remove 5 that's half my parking gone thus 50% drop in customers! If you argue against this you hate small business.

But even with the design as is, how could it have been improved? Let's say you're stuck with the bi-directional path on one side of the one-way, but you could tweak the intersection?

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 21:57 on May 2, 2017

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Well, the intersection is not Dutch style, it does not have any bike lanes around it. Here, a typical Dutch one is shown: https://bicycledutch.wordpress.com/2014/02/23/junction-design-in-the-netherlands/

It's just unusual because you have to cross the car part of the crossing in weird ways to get to the bidirectional cycleway. If there were bike paths all around the crossing this would be no problem - cyclists could either use it as a roundabout and get to the bidirectional path, or all the bike paths could be bidirectional and then you could get to it whichever way is shortest around the intersection.

Bidirectional cycleways on only one side of the road happen in the Netherlands as well, but then the junction is also designed with that in mind.

Entropist fucked around with this message at 22:08 on May 2, 2017

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

kefkafloyd posted:

No, it hasn't been built because the Parkway has to be frozen in time to "preserve its historic character."

I'm being facetious, but only a little.
It took an executive order signed during a state of emergency to cut down trees that were about to fall on the road, that's not far off. Construction of a new interchange is tentatively planned to start in 2021, but 5 years ago it was tentatively planned to start last year, so you can guess what's going to happen.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Entropist posted:

Bidirectional cycleways on only one side of the road happen in the Netherlands as well, but then the junction is also designed with that in mind.

Right, that's what I'm asking, how would this junction have been handled by a dutch engineer if given the same situation? There's no bike lanes on the crossing street, but there might be one day. Surely there could be sort of mini-lanes just at the junction for cyclists who previously had to "take the lane" could then pull into and use?

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Baronjutter posted:

Right, that's what I'm asking, how would this junction have been handled by a dutch engineer if given the same situation? There's no bike lanes on the crossing street, but there might be one day. Surely there could be sort of mini-lanes just at the junction for cyclists who previously had to "take the lane" could then pull into and use?

Well here's an example of an awkward intersection where not every side has its own bike path. You have to make multiple crossings to get through it in some cases, but all the action still happens only on the bike paths:

A Dutch engineer could have put mini-lanes around the junction that look like this, giving the option to cross in every available direction. And needless to say, the bike paths would have their own signals.

This should do it:

Cyclists will have to cross in two stages in quite a few cases but that can't be avoided with the path on only one side. Alternatively, all the crossings could be bidirectional so you can go around it in any direction but that'd take more space and would require a crossing at the bottom too.

In practise, having separate bike signals is probably weird and a big deal in the US, so I doubt this solution would happen. I don't think the situation could be improved much without them, though.

Entropist fucked around with this message at 22:21 on May 2, 2017

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
How many bikes actually perform that stupid clusterfuck dance rather than turning like a car, anyway?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Javid posted:

How many bikes actually perform that stupid clusterfuck dance rather than turning like a car, anyway?

It's like 50/50. A bunch of hard core identity-cyclists refuse to use the protected infrastructure and if they're turning left will "take the lane" to turn left and now baby motorists who are already enraged at the bike lane are double enraged. Also cars can't turn right on red anymore, which is not a common thing here and they're raging about that too. "How come bikes can turn right on a red but cars can't?! Double standards!!!!!"

The whole thing has been a bit of a PR clusterfuck of angry drivers and defiant cyclists and I don't know how it bodes for the future of cycling infrastructure in the city. The mayor has a few more like this planned but it's been such a poo poo show and now the local small business community is banding together to fight them.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Baronjutter posted:

It's like 50/50. A bunch of hard core identity-cyclists refuse to use the protected infrastructure and if they're turning left will "take the lane" to turn left and now baby motorists who are already enraged at the bike lane are double enraged. Also cars can't turn right on red anymore, which is not a common thing here and they're raging about that too. "How come bikes can turn right on a red but cars can't?! Double standards!!!!!"

The whole thing has been a bit of a PR clusterfuck of angry drivers and defiant cyclists and I don't know how it bodes for the future of cycling infrastructure in the city. The mayor has a few more like this planned but it's been such a poo poo show and now the local small business community is banding together to fight them.

Normally I hate when ~cyclists~ turn up their nose at poo poo built for them and take up a goddamn lane anyway, as that just gets everyone pissed off.

BUT

Whoever decided that was a reasonable series of hoops to make people jump through to make a frigging turn is the problem here.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Javid posted:

In the Netherlands, almost all of them do, though people do sometimes cut through the middle of the intersection instead of making a turn in 2 stages if it's not busy. It's generally illegal to bike on the road when there is a bike path, and it is unsafe anyway, and cars will honk at you.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Javid posted:

Normally I hate when ~cyclists~ turn up their nose at poo poo built for them and take up a goddamn lane anyway, as that just gets everyone pissed off.

BUT

Whoever decided that was a reasonable series of hoops to make people jump through to make a frigging turn is the problem here.

Isn't that just a standard Copenhagen turn? You go over and then across. Works everywhere in Denmark.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
I reckon it'd be a learned behaviour - you see other people do it, you do the same. And if it's uniform across a city or country rather than a specific intersection, so much the better.

Usually the road rules support it but then you get some places where riding along the footpath is illegal for adults (unless accompanying a kid) but people still do it anyway because it's safer than the road.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Entropist posted:

Well here's an example of an awkward intersection where not every side has its own bike path. You have to make multiple crossings to get through it in some cases, but all the action still happens only on the bike paths:

That isn't how that intersection works in the real world though, that sat footage is old(er) than streetview.
What you described is still possible, but if you've got the light and crossing at the light at the bottom of the pic now as well, so you can pick whichever option will be most convenient for your given direction of approach.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Yeah I had to actually search around Maps for an example like this, they've fixed most of them up by now. The satellite imagery in that area is pretty old, the campus still looks like a construction zone and that was a while ago. IRL it's quite a nice layout after the change but I still end up cutting through the middle of the intersection when going from west or north to east in the evening when there's no traffic, because I can.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Baronjutter posted:

Hey Dutch Goons, how would you guys handle a 1 way street crossing a 2 way street in terms of bike lanes? My city just implemented a gold plated AAA bi-directional protected lane down the side of a one-way street, except every intersection feels extremely unsafe and is a mess of special signals and bike boxes and non-intuitive rules that confuse everyone.

I was trying to find a similar location in NL but failed to, the idea of a street grid of mixed one-way and two-way streets feels pretty north american.

And here's what they've done and their instructions for how to make some of the turns.

I feel like in the netherlands they'd have handled this much better. Lefts would still be a 2-movement crossing, but the lanes and infrastructure would have been built to make this much more intuitive.

Oh lol, is Victoria trying to imitate downtown Vancouver?

https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.2823064,-123.1143932,3a,75y,336.99h,68.38t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s4RSrbZhJm-MelkWU9KWHaA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

I like having the Dunsmuir bike lane, and have used it quite a bit to get around downtown (the best is on a weekend night when the cars are all gridlocked). But yeah, two-way bike lanes on the same side of the street have always seemed like a bit of a bad idea.

Opals25
Jun 21, 2006

TOURISTS SPOTTED, TWELVE O'CLOCK
If any of the Professionals here are looking for work apparently Walt Disney World is looking for a "Transportation Planner/Engineer" to work on the long term plans for resort transportation.Bound to be interesting with plans for a new gondola system and to have driverless shuttles by 2018.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Armco!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FXfClBq5MQ

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

These have been everywhere lately. Are they traffic survey cameras or is the NWO spying on me?

:stare:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Maybe a small cell phone antenna? My city is dealing with them right now because we have no real guidance in our ordinance for/against them and it's been a massive pain in the rear end because they want to put them up everywhere.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

GWBBQ posted:

These have been everywhere lately. Are they traffic survey cameras or is the NWO spying on me?

:stare:

That is an optical traffic counter (the technical term is Video Collection Unit). If you look at the top of the pole, there should be a camera mounted to it. Optical counters have for the most part taken the place of road-based analog "strip" counters by virtue of being more accurate and harder to damage.

The same thing is slowly happening to in-ground magnetic loop detectors, with pole-mounted photo sensors taking their place. Cutting edge photo detectors can also collect traffic counts in real time and upload that data (along with the video) to advanced traffic management systems (ATMS) for enhanced signal control, mostly for phase length adjustment when a stretch of road sees extra traffic due to an accident or local event. In the below pic, the sensor on the right is a camera for optical vehicle detection and the sensor on the left is an Opticom infrared photo eye for signal preemption (signal priority for Transit/EMS/Fire). This particular signal is at one of the entrances to a major regional indoor shopping mall and is programmed to adjust phase lengths based on hourly traffic counts. Traffic heading into the mall will get more green time when people are heading into the mall in large numbers, and traffic leaving the mall will get lots of green time toward the evening hours around when the mall closes.

As an aside, most transportation departments do their road counts this time of year, in warmer months between summer vacations and spring break. Local residents are more active on the roads during warmer weather, but early May is one of the few times that tourist activity isn't skewing the numbers heavily.

Also, infrared signal priority systems are quickly going the way of the dodo in heavily populated areas, in favor of ATMS-based GPS domes. ATMS systems keep track of where emergency vehicles are heading and preemptively clean out intersections before Fire or EMS even get there. Same with transit signal preemption. We just switched our streetcar line from infrared to GPS, which has worked wonders for both keeping traffic congestion in check and keeping streetcars moving without stopping for traffic signals.

Varance fucked around with this message at 04:53 on May 7, 2017

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Well lads, I've gone and ordered a dashcam. Excited to start capturing videos of the dumb poo poo people in Massachusetts do behind the wheel on our crazy rear end roads.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Turdsdown Tom posted:

Well lads, I've gone and ordered a dashcam. Excited to start capturing videos of the dumb poo poo people in Massachusetts do behind the wheel on our crazy rear end roads.

What one did you buy? I've been interested in one.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

kefkafloyd posted:

What one did you buy? I've been interested in one.

I went with the Rexing V1. I put a couple hours into researching cameras online, a lot of people seemed really happy with the Rexing. People seemed to be split between the V1 and the VIOFO A119, but ultimately the GPS mount for the VIOFO seemed really fiddly on YouTube and the reports of grainy video and hot pixels at night was enough to turn me off. I actually ordered it a couple days ago, and it just came today. I'm such a chucklefuck that I put the mount on my windshield backwards and ruined the adhesive, so now I've got to wait another day for an extra adhesive pad. I could have gone to Staples and bought a roll of tape, but the 3M stuff is pretty expensive for a roll and I need to make sure it's the good poo poo because I can imagine summer heat melting the gently caress out of bad adhesive.

So far, I've been impressed with the image quality and how easy it was to flash a firmware update so that I get better GPS location with the dongle. I'm looking forward to getting out there and seeing how it does when I'm not stationary, though.

EDIT: Oh, and if it matters at all, my budget sweetspot was right around $100. The camera itself was $99 and with the separate GPS dongle (and extra adhesive) it came to a little over $125. The GPS dongle isn't required, but I like the speed monitoring and how playing back the file in the Rexing player brings up a map that shows my route. I don't necessarily plan on becoming an Uber driver or anything, but the functionality is nice to have and will probably be useful if I ever get in an accident or see an accident happen right in front of me.

barnold fucked around with this message at 21:49 on May 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dutch Engineer
Aug 7, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

The Dutchiest solution:

Megasuperturbo roundabout and separate bike infrastructure :v:

But for real, probably just make small but usable waiting areas for turning cyclists, like so: