Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I still don't think they've made a racing game yet that can top Burnout 3.

...God, just make it a PS2 classic already.

https://youtu.be/kDwhaLvyiGE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

What's the best place to get a discount on PS+? I bummed my brother's for a while but he's moved out so I'm flying solo for now and would like to not pay $59.99 if possible.

The best I've found is a $49.99 code off another site. Are there sales fairly frequently?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

kirbysuperstar posted:

Finally, Dana Plato on PS4.

It's what she would have wanted.

revolther
May 27, 2008

DoctorGonzo posted:

i need plus for driveclub?
But do you need driveclub?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
The circle is complete.

1992: Night Trap is released and deemed too much for the teenagers to handle.

1994: The ESRB is created and the Sega CD version of the game eventually rated M.

2017: Night Trap is released on the PlayStation 4 and is rated T For Teen by the ESRB.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

CBJSprague24 posted:

What's the best place to get a discount on PS+? I bummed my brother's for a while but he's moved out so I'm flying solo for now and would like to not pay $59.99 if possible.

The best I've found is a $49.99 code off another site. Are there sales fairly frequently?

Isn't Sony still running the buy 1 year get 3 months free deal or is that over? I thought it was till the end of the month but I might be completely off.

Anyways, the first year of PS4 had lots of insane deals but really 49.99 is about as good as it gets except on a rare occasion anymore. I kind of wish I had just bought like 5 years worth of codes when they could be had for $20-30 when Sony was pushing hard to sell subs.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Neo Rasa posted:

The circle is complete.

1994: The ESRB is created and the Sega CD version of the game eventually rated M.

2017: Night Trap is released on the PlayStation 4 and is rated T For Teen by the ESRB.

Lol. That is fantastic.

Didn't Sega already have their own ratings system back then? I think it was GA, MA-13, MA-17 and maybe one more?

E: whoops double post.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I never played Night Trap but from videos I don't see the value of it other than as a museum piece of the awful days of FMV games.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
It's been a crazy, surreal day. Night Trap is getting re-released and my little game Deathstate just launched on PS4. What is the world coming to??

PSN Store

To commemorate - have some keys, goons! (US only, atm, sorry)

2PC5-AGN4-AF82
46K7-KCNK-5RQJ
A6KR-KJN3-RL46
5DAQ-7PN4-48RB
AT3D-9ENA-2433

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Snagged this one thanks. I'll give it a whirl.

quote:

5DAQ-7PN4-48RB

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

superh posted:

PSN Store

Thanks! Took the third one.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

superh posted:

😭😭😭

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

superh posted:

46K7-KCNK-5RQJ

Thanks, looks cool!

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Took the first one. Looks like all the others are gone as well. Thanks!

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I took the last one, thank you, congratulations, and namaste

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

So anyone played Outlast 2 yet? poo poo, I really want to play it tonight, but of course it comes out right after Neir gets it's hooks in me so I'll probably wait until I'm done.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

The circle is complete.

Wonder if we'll get a new congressional hearing into this vile 'trapping and killing women' simulator.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I think the thing getting lost in the shuffle here is that Night Trap also totally sucked.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Pocket Billiards posted:

Wonder if we'll get a new congressional hearing into this vile 'trapping and killing women' simulator.
Oh yeah, I guess it's not just a museum piece of the awful FMV age but also the video games as a moral panic age and how it was pushing everyone to make games edgy for its own sake.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think most of us are old enough to recall the moral panic around the realistic displays of violence in Mortal Kombat.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

bloodychill posted:

I think the thing getting lost in the shuffle here is that Night Trap also totally sucked.

It's only really a historical curiosity really, despite being a lovely as hell game its impact on the industry was huge.

The "Over 1.5 hours of full motion video" really makes me laugh. It seems so quaint, like when movies from the 90s talked about 50GB harddrives like it was some crazy impossible space-tech no-one would ever need.

Hogscraper
Nov 6, 2004

Audio master
After obsessively spending the last few hours going through comments and forum threads I really am convinced everyone secretly loves FMV as much as we all talk poo poo about it.

Spalec posted:

The "Over 1.5 hours of full motion video" really makes me laugh. It seems so quaint, like when movies from the 90s talked about 50GB harddrives like it was some crazy impossible space-tech no-one would ever need.

The original (lightly) compressed footage is sitting ~60 GB in ProRes HQ 720x486 resolution. The Sega CD footage is less than 900 MB.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
It's also interesting as a remnant of a VHS based game console from the late 80s that was made by Nolan Bushnells company with funding by Hasbro.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Spalec posted:

It's only really a historical curiosity really, despite being a lovely as hell game its impact on the industry was huge.

I totally appreciate the Sega CD and Sega 32X CD spines.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Full motion Video occupies a weird space in my brain, where as a kid it was the most mind blowing thing to me. Mostly as an onlooker because my mom wouldn't buy me a Sega CD. But to me video games just looked like real life all of a sudden. So even now when I see it there is this primordial part of me that is like "woah the future is now" and I dream of one day buying the Kris Kross music video maker.

Hogscraper
Nov 6, 2004

Audio master
I think the value of Night Trap as a game is overstated. But understated in it's era for trying to do something new with multimedia. It's really more of an interactive film and the value of it in the modern world is the same as other cult classic schlock films from the late 80s and early 90s which is how I've mostly appreciated it through my life. I think a game like Double Switch took the idea of the trap game and expanded it into a much more playable game. With it's degree of randomness you could actually compete for a high score if you were as dorky as my cousin and I.

I keep seeing a lot of journalists calling it the grandaddy of Five Nights at Freddy's and I honestly had never ever thought of a simple trap game from that angle. That's probably way too generous of a comparison, honestly.

Edit: #34 Trending on YouTube ahead of Bruno Mars and Gucci Mane. Life is weird, you guys.

Hogscraper fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Apr 26, 2017

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
Night Trap Spoilers

It took me about two weeks of playing this garbage to get the times for every one of those assholes. Late one evening I pressed Record on our VHS for proof of this amazing feat and finally caught them all. Only to learn nothing about the game really changes at all. It was my Ovaltine moment :smith:

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

ghostinmyshell posted:

Night Trap Spoilers

It took me about two weeks of playing this garbage to get the times for every one of those assholes. Late one evening I pressed Record on our VHS for proof of this amazing feat and finally caught them all. Only to learn nothing about the game really changes at all. It was my Ovaltine moment :smith:

90% of people in this thread won't understand any of that statement. You're not hip to the modern lingo, fellow grandpayoung person. You have to be in order to relate to the kids.

Hogscraper
Nov 6, 2004

Audio master

ghostinmyshell posted:

Night Trap Spoilers

Dude, I STILL can't do that without a time guide and I've been playing through it ad nauseum for a month now.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I'm with Nick. Burnout 3 broke the mold for racing games for me and nothing else has felt right ever since.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

veni veni veni posted:

Isn't Sony still running the buy 1 year get 3 months free deal or is that over? I thought it was till the end of the month but I might be completely off.

Anyways, the first year of PS4 had lots of insane deals but really 49.99 is about as good as it gets except on a rare occasion anymore. I kind of wish I had just bought like 5 years worth of codes when they could be had for $20-30 when Sony was pushing hard to sell subs.

I think that ended at the end of March.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I still don't think they've made a racing game yet that can top Burnout 3.

...God, just make it a PS2 classic already.

I'd be way into an hd remaster of takedown. that game was rad

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Here's Bill Corbett from MST3k in Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective, a volume of which you surely came across if you bought a CD-ROM drive or "10 Games in 1" collection in the mid-90s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqlwNEt_4yo

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

ElwoodCuse posted:

Here's Bill Corbett from MST3k in Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective, a volume of which you surely came across if you bought a CD-ROM drive or "10 Games in 1" collection in the mid-90s

That takes me back. People would come around and we'd show them this and "The Animals" San Diego Zoo CD and blow their minds.

Hogscraper
Nov 6, 2004

Audio master

ElwoodCuse posted:

Wow, I played through this a TON and never ever put this together.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

There is actually some FMV game for PS4 that got pretty good reviews called The Bunker. I've been meaning to check it out but it's never been at the top of my list of stuff to play. Maybe if we could actually hit a brief lull on great games coming out for a month or 2 I could catch up on some of these lower priority indies I've been meaning to bang out.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

veni veni veni posted:

There is actually some FMV game for PS4 that got pretty good reviews called The Bunker. I've been meaning to check it out but it's never been at the top of my list of stuff to play. Maybe if we could actually hit a brief lull on great games coming out for a month or 2 I could catch up on some of these lower priority indies I've been meaning to bang out.

I've been meaning to check it out, I'm really happy that I'm going to be able to run through Night Trap and also 428 Shibuy Scramble and The Silver Case on one system, it's crazy. They just have to somehow get Alive released on PS4 and my FMV life is complete.

It was a PS1 game from like 1998 but did I ever talk about Alive in here? It might be my favorite FMV game ever. It's basically Run Lola Run but in Japan and in a near-future. But the budget for it must have been nuts, lots of super exaggerated squibs, car chases, shootouts in burning buildings, the action isn't anything in incredible but it's super intense and violent by FMV game standards, and it has a very large amount of location shooting for an FMV game. And it even has some cool choices for how to progress instead of the more random stuff you had in Sewer Shark or Foxhunt/etc. urgent FMV games. I mean a lot of them are different game overs but it's cool that they're present like in Alpha Protocol as general "Attack/Flee/Do Something Sneaky" instead of just picking a direction to go in.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Apr 26, 2017

tensai
May 8, 2007

Just trying to keep my boyfriend away from that redheaded harlot.

veni veni veni posted:

I just played that a couple weeks ago. If you have a free 2 hours, it's worth going through. I got it on a sale for cheap and felt I got my $5 out of it. It's not great, but sets up an interesting story.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The FMV library on PS4 will never be complete until they rerelease Sewer Shark :v:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Same but Corpse Killer. It had the laziest Jamaican impression.