Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?
i got my first recruiter email today

it wasn't for something I am at all qualified for or interested in, but it made me feel like i was doing something right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

cis autodrag posted:

i aced the ruby test some recruiter gave me and i dont even know ruby. then i bombed their phone screen because i "seemed hesitant" aka "i actually pause to think before i answer questions".

sounds like you dodged a bullet.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

cis autodrag posted:

then i bombed their phone screen because i "seemed hesitant" aka "i actually pause to think before i answer questions".

lol

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Sapozhnik posted:

what, you're not utterly convinced of your own brilliance at all times?

i'm not sure you've got what it takes to be a computer touching techlord

k how's this:

if newjob_figgies > oldjob_figgies
            then accept job
            else fuck_off

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

you know who is in the White House right

yeah but i can't really leave the country for 4 years anyway, perfect timing

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Shaggar posted:

sounds like you dodged a bullet.

agreed. i would never want to work with anyone who expects me to just vomit out my first thought and run with it instead of giving considered responses.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
also because of the ruby. and also because honestly it sounds like bs and they had maybe less kosher reasons

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

Shaggar posted:

also because of the ruby. and also because honestly it sounds like bs and they had maybe less kosher reasons

could it be culture fit. no never.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
"culture fit" is way too obvious these days so they gotta come up w/ something else

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

Shaggar posted:

"culture fit" is way too obvious these days so they gotta come up w/ something else

https://repl.it/HZp6/0

pick your favorite

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

holy poo poo.

also, just had a company cancel a final interview the day before it was scheduled. interviewing and job hunting truly is garbage.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

values competent

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

society ready

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
heritage ready

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

FrozenVent posted:

k how's this:

then accept job
            else fuck_off

lol if you don't deindent your else statements to line up with the if statement

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
i took a pay cut when I moved to my current job because the culture/PTO policy was infinitely better

i've been promoted/raised to record personal figgies though so its cool

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

FrozenVent posted:

k how's this:

then accept job
            else fuck_off

job = new_figgies > old_figgies ? new_job : old_job;

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Bloody posted:

job = new_figgies > old_figgies ? new_job : old_job;

you just got poor-culture-fitted

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
C# code:
var job = new [] { oldJob, newJob }.Max(job=>job.Figgies);

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

jobs = list(filter(lambda figgies: figgies > old_figgies, offered_figgies))
return jobs

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Rudest Buddhist posted:

I started applying to companies on angel.co and today was the second time someone in the last month has asked me if I "have any vacation planned for the next 6 months". iOS dev so YMMV but god drat lol.

I mean it seems good to say "btw I have a two week trip already booked not long after I start so can that be accommodated?" but maybe that wasn't the context?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
computer_nerds.eat_shit()

am i doing this right

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

Sapozhnik posted:

am i doing this right

code:
computer_nerds.eat_shit(now)

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

(eat-poo poo computer-nerds)

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

You only lose what you cling to, bitch.
Fun Shoe

DuckConference posted:

I mean it seems good to say "btw I have a two week trip already booked not long after I start so can that be accommodated?" but maybe that wasn't the context?

Yeah that would be normal, granted I don't have anything booked.

This seemed more like "We're behind schedule on shipping and need it done yesterday. Are you down to just rip through this app and get it finished?" but we'll find out next week when I go on-site! Worst-case I get some white boarding practice out of it.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Sapozhnik posted:

am i doing this right

exit(yospos)
goto GBS

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

carry on then posted:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
code:
shouldTakeNewJob(oldPay,newPay) q $s(oldPay<newPay:1,1:0)

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

carry on then posted:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
actually i ate a 500 euro dinner at a michelin star restaurant in amsterdam because being a computer nerd pays

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

or just get the vendor to pay instead

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
after 2 months of email tag i have a phone screen with apple maps this week. neat.

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

You only lose what you cling to, bitch.
Fun Shoe

hobbesmaster posted:

the hackerrank things are easy though. run through the "normal" hackerrank stuff in your language of choice in an afternoon and you'll recognize every single question on those stupid job questions

Got assigned a hacker rank homework test today. Taking your advice before I jump into it. This is pretty slick.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I'm getting supergood at sql because that's what I do at my job all day basically. At least databases won't be one of those topics that I have to pretend to have a clue about anymore.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Rudest Buddhist posted:

Got assigned a hacker rank homework test today. Taking your advice before I jump into it. This is pretty slick.

hackerrank keeps sending me e-mails challeging me to solve problems and I can't stop

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Symbolic Butt posted:

I'm getting supergood at sql because that's what I do at my job all day basically. At least databases won't be one of those topics that I have to pretend to have a clue about anymore.

It's pretty great isn't it?

Iverron
May 13, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

the hackerrank things are easy though. run through the "normal" hackerrank stuff in your language of choice in an afternoon and you'll recognize every single question on those stupid job questions

but I'm a weirdo that got a perfect score on a dumb C trivia test one recruiter gave me (knowing what the auto keyword does in C is actually wasting brainpower that could be used for something useful)

it was a custom test made by the company with nothing but code exercises

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Symbolic Butt posted:

better than getting super good at writing mongo map/reduce jobs

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
they want to do a screen share to do a code screen on the call but the recruiter has no idea if i need anything installed. i asked if i should do anything to prep my machine and he just said "you're doing a code screen"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

cis autodrag posted:

they want to do a screen share to do a code screen on the call but the recruiter has no idea if i need anything installed. i asked if i should do anything to prep my machine and he just said "you're doing a code screen"

everyone does this. you won't need anything besides a modern browser. big screen is helpful

• Locked thread