Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

henkman posted:

Yeah but the real games start later than that

You saying wildcard games aren't real?On a serious note I think wildcards are getting better and better so I will definitely watch the play ins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i think the underdogs and the polite fans really made their case for it today

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I'll probably have the second stage on in the background at work since the first round of that is like 2 PM EDT in the middle of the week. Actually might catch part of the group portion on the weekend, but I'm probably not tuning in at work for the first couple matches.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Redmark posted:

Wenger out

Team Liquid fan spotted.

Game 5 of NA finals was crazy and a lot of fun to watch.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I do think it's funny that they took their baron buff to try to contest an elder while down on members. Just push mid, you have empowered creeps and a four speed recall if you need to defend base.

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

a well earned LCS championship by your boy, Strong

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

Chris de Sperg posted:

a well earned LCS championship by your boy, Strong

good payback for that time you maliciously made tsm lose the world championship

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

Lovechop posted:

good payback for that time you maliciously made tsm lose the world championship
now i make my ransom demands for MSI ~~it's the circle of life~~

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Game 5 was nuts and I'm glad I watched it. Random thoughts:

- Jensen is way too arrogant in laning. He just does not have the skill to make the dives that he attempts, even when he has Contractz babysitting him.
- Why wasn't Camille banned by C9? I love pocket picks more than anyone else here, but Camille just dumpstered you every time that she was brought out.
- I loved the Gragas flex, and I'm super glad that it got ahead.
- Cloud 9 just is not decisive in its shot calling. I think it was game 5 with C9 traded 2 for 4 in a team fight, and decided not to crack the base with 30 second timers. There were so many times where they could have gotten an objective, but faltered.
- I think it was game 3, but letting Hauntzer take both bot lane turrets for free was really bad and stupid.
- I liked the idea of cracking the base by C9 at the end of game 5, but you have to recall sooner. Maybe don't take the inhib?
- Camille is such a busted champ just my word.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Sneaky was dumb as hell for recalling where he did, he still had time to dash into the jungle unseen where TSM couldn't find his empowered recall

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Shadow225 posted:

- Cloud 9 just is not decisive in its shot calling. I think it was game 5 with C9 traded 2 for 4 in a team fight, and decided not to crack the base with 30 second timers. There were so many times where they could have gotten an objective, but faltered.
I thought this was a bad call as it happened, but thinking about it afterwards I think it was okay if a little too cautious. Death timers weren't all that long and the minions were still a little ways out from the base. Camille was still up and could have stopped them from backing easily until the rest of TSM got back up, at which point C9 is at a pretty distinct disadvantage for baron setup.

Camille just looked ridiculous, it was pretty great seeing her blow up sneaky late game while her health never seemed to go down.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Teikanmi posted:

Sneaky was dumb as hell for recalling where he did, he still had time to dash into the jungle unseen where TSM couldn't find his empowered recall

Sneaky has been really lazy and sloppy with his positioning and pathing over the last year and you can generally count on him getting caught out at least once per game wandering through a unwarded jungle/facechecking a bush/being too far forward in a teamfight. It's becoming so common that I'm beginning to think they should have swapped him for Altec on the C9 retirement home.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Altec popped all of the way off in the consolation match Saturday.
I didn't think that Balls played that badly either, tbh.

EDIT: Strong, I'm curious if there was anything that threw you off in the match yesterday. I really enjoy reading your thoughts since you're a literal professional.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Work Friend Keven posted:

Once, as a bet, Ernest Hemmingway wrote the saddest, shortest story in the world. It was this:

Wildturtle flashed forward.

Also quoting this for the new page

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

Shadow225 posted:

- I loved the Gragas flex, and I'm super glad that it got ahead.
you probably won't see much of it again unfortunately, its laning is a lot more exploitable than it looked in that game and it's only really worth it if you're picking it into Lulu support specifically (it's a counter to how Lulu works with regards to "separate Lulu from ADC in either configuration and Lulu is hosed", but Lulu lanes are also weak enough poke-wise to make it viable, which is not true at all of Karma/Zyra/Nami/Malzahar). we did know it was coming but underwhelming in scrims etc.

Shadow225 posted:

Altec popped all of the way off in the consolation match Saturday.
I didn't think that Balls played that badly either, tbh.

EDIT: Strong, I'm curious if there was anything that threw you off in the match yesterday. I really enjoy reading your thoughts since you're a literal professional.
i fell asleep just before G5 so that kinda stymies most of the interesting observations i could make. games 1, 2, and 4 were all pretty much exactly what i'd expect. TSM are just a LOT better than C9 in almost every aspect of the game post-10 minutes, and if C9 can't get that sort of lead you saw in game 4, they generally lose.

game 3 was weird because of that - yeah, C9 were ahead a bit coming out of early, but it wasn't enough to crush and they were getting blasted in terms of macro decision-making as usual - but looking at it again, the thing that really screwed us was that we could never get map or vision control compositionally. this split's TSM works because you have five intelligent players who know where their teammates will be at all times, and how to move around that. problem in game 4 was that nobody was naturally creating space in a sense - the Syndra into Ahri put a massive straitjacket on Bjergsen's, and to an extent Sven's, map movements, and that coupled with Hauntzer falling behind meant that everyone spent the entire game blueballedly right-clicking around on the edge of ever wresting effective map control and the game ended up being a drawn-out 50-50 basically. was probably why game 5 was so close too looking at the comps.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Are they intelligent enough to compete at worlds or are we talking NA intelligence?

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Are they intelligent enough to compete at worlds or are we talking NA intelligence?

look deep into your heart

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

rest of NA (bar P1) was a trashfire this split macro-wise so that pinch of salt has to be taken, i do tend to think that they'll be able to compete internationally but FW/G2/RNG (if they win) are all pretty horrendous stylistic matchups so idk about MSI

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
The MSI Karma skin loading border looks better than the Challenger borders so it looks like I'm gonna be a filthy Karma main. Go Flash Wolves!!

I wonder if SKT will take this MSI very seriously or phone it in? They're still miles and miles away the best team in the world right now and second place isn't even close but I can see them putting in subs or trying out new things and dropping a game or two to Flash Wolves or RNG

e: The last match of the LCK Challenger series on, CJ Entus vs Ever. It's so weird seeing CJ without a single old CJ Entus guy because they were always the kinda org that would keep people way past their expiration date to make the fans happy

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Apr 25, 2017

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos
With that jungle Jayce game from Ever 8, Jayce has officially been played in all 5 roles in competitive play.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Chris de Sperg posted:

i fell asleep just before G5 so that kinda stymies most of the interesting observations i could make. games 1, 2, and 4 were all pretty much exactly what i'd expect. TSM are just a LOT better than C9 in almost every aspect of the game post-10 minutes, and if C9 can't get that sort of lead you saw in game 4, they generally lose.

Do you think TSM will be better with DLift next split? I think so but I'm not sure.

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

Sexpansion posted:

Do you think TSM will be better with DLift next split? I think so but I'm not sure.

Will Wildturtle still flash forward?

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Schiavona posted:

Will Wildturtle still flash forward?

forever and ever forward into eternity

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

wild turtle looks better than he used to but dl should be an improvement regardless

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Max Coveri posted:

With that jungle Jayce game from Ever 8, Jayce has officially been played in all 5 roles in competitive play.

I remember Rush use to pick it a bunch in soloq and would do well with it. Shockblast from fog of war with stormraiders you can gank pretty well. I mean its not good like a traditional jungle pick but its one of those good cheesy jungle picks like Twitch.

Btw is MSI with Galio enabled? He has already been in use in LPL.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

MSI is 7.8, so Galio will be live I think. LPL just seems to do whatever, they were the only pro region to play on 7.7 as far as I know.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Yes LPL never disable new champions or reworked ones. Famously LPL did play on the patch that had the super op Lucian back in season 4 where you could dash every 2 seconds or pre hotfix Skarner after the juggernaut reworks.

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

Sexpansion posted:

if they can turn it into a genuine 6-man roster then yes (and that is genuinely the intention from what i understand), i am honestly somewhat pessimistic about a doublelift-only iteration of TSM because i don't know how well he fits into what the team has become in his absence. but that's not necessarily on the table at the moment.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Is the 6 man roster really possible? I can't imagine Turtle not having the choice to be the sole starter for another team. At a minimum Echo Fox is counting the days to MSI ending.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Hypocrisy posted:

Is the 6 man roster really possible? I can't imagine Turtle not having the choice to be the sole starter for another team. At a minimum Echo Fox is counting the days to MSI ending.

I guess it depends on what he values more, but I have to think that it'd be really hard to leave a team that's a clear favorite to win the next split, is practically garunteed a spot at world's, and that he's already familiar and comfortable with for an unknown comfort fit on a team that just barely avoided being in the relegation tournament and basically has no chance to make it to worlds unless they either win the next split or the play in tournament.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
What are pros/cons to a situation where you would sub Turtle and Double? I've always kind of felt they had similar strengths (they often really get huge) and weaknesses (they often make really bad decisions in high pressure late game).

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Wt Pro: wild turtle will flash forward and give lcs blooper vids more content
Dl con: doublelift will flash forward and feed off camera

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Libertine posted:

What are pros/cons to a situation where you would sub Turtle and Double? I've always kind of felt they had similar strengths (they often really get huge) and weaknesses (they often make really bad decisions in high pressure late game).

Yeah that's exactly what people have said for like 2 years now

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

If one of them starts tilting you have a backup for the next game.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

Hypocrisy posted:

If he can stream and is paid reasonably it's probably a better use of his time than joining TL or echo fox. However, as others have mentioned: I don't think wt actually has distinct strengths from dl to the point where there's a good reason to sub them.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

If you combine both of their chins, you will have one normal person's chin.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Work Friend Keven posted:

If he can stream and is paid reasonably it's probably a better use of his time than joining TL or echo fox. However, as others have mentioned: I don't think wt actually has distinct strengths from dl to the point where there's a good reason to sub them.

Well doublelfit said he gets bored tryharding all the time, so they'd be paying to basically rest him for the playoffs or some poo poo. What if they went out of the box and got an import... I've heard tell of a balding fuckface in greece ...

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Jerkface posted:

Well doublelfit said he gets bored tryharding all the time, so they'd be paying to basically rest him for the playoffs or some poo poo. What if they went out of the box and got an import... I've heard tell of a balding fuckface in greece ...
Regi thinks it's super important that all team members speak the same language, and nobody's going to be able to understand anything Forgiven says

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

RealFoxy posted:

Regi thinks it's super important that all team members speak the same language, and nobody's going to be able to understand anything Forgiven says

Everyone knows what 'stupid noob oval office' means :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

RealFoxy posted:

better for team synergy if u kno exactly why ur import jungler is flamin u

• Locked thread