Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Can someone explain to me the problems with bird cage other than pacing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Why didn't everyone turn 90 degrees and slide through the birdcage sideways

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Not everyone has the same body type

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

Well, he did put up a pretty impressive show at Marineford (including literally taking Oars Jr apart), so we did already know he was capable of handling himself in a brawl, even against absurdly powerful enemies.

Cutting off Oars's leg was impressive, but since Doffy himself didn't get hit in the war it still maintained the impression of him being a glass cannon type who would rely on strategy and manipulation in exchange for being weaker in a physical fight.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

honestly I never had that impression and idk why anyone would ever think a big bad like a shichibukai wouldn't put up a big fight. it being close or even in doffy's favor before gear 4 is totally fine imo

the haki thing was dumb tho and gear 4 should have just pasted him then and there since that was luffy's big post time skip powerup

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
You can still have a big fight without having to make the villain physically equal to Luffy. Look at Crocodile, he was clearly inferior to Luffy in physical strength once Luffy figured out the water weakness, but he still managed to win their second fight thanks to his ability, and the third fight still had tension thanks to the time limit and poison hook. Doffy should have been a similar "puzzle" fight, and it started off like that with the clever Shambles + Red Hawk trick, but after that he just started tanking attacks one after the other with virtually no signs of weakening until G4, and even that took two rounds to finish him off. Almost feels like Oda gave him a buff just because he had to introduce Gear 4 at that point and needed a sufficiently strong villain to show it off.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Manatee Cannon posted:

I don't think any of the priest fights were that good but there were some good jokes for the rescue party and chopper

a lot of the extended cast in skypeia is really weak is my main problem with it. like... waipa? is that his name? and his friends were useless and I didn't care about anything they did

I love the fight with the priest with the big dog, and Zoro defeated it just by commanding it to sit.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Can someone explain to me the problems with bird cage other than pacing?

• A magic attack that neither Zoro, the visiting Admiral, or any of the best of the New World best could cut/break, because reasons
  • Too strong for everyone combined on the entire island to halt at all, including the visiting who's who of big names in the New World
  • Totally pointless since no one was trying to get away anyway and shrinking it did nothing but collaterally wreck up the place
  • Apparently cost Doflamingo nothing to keep in place, allowing him to all out fight both Law and Luffy while taking monster hits with no effect on it
  • Needlessly added a ticking clock that was then one upped with an additional clock in Luffy's Gear 4 recovery time
  • Resulted in repeatedly cutting away from the Doflamingo fight to see everyone else pushing real hard and failing to stop the cage
  • i.e. not showing the fight in favor of showing a bunch of strong dudes doing something a step worse than nothing
Bottom line it accomplished virtually nothing other than make everyone on the island look weak. The original Faraday cage form was fine as a reason nobody could tell anyone in the outside world what was going on, then it started contracting and unstoppably cutting through everything.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, the idea of the cage being something Zoro, the dude who just annihilated Doffy's second-in-command, couldn't cut is absurd, at least without it having some kind of repercussion on Doflamingo's part like the Gears' recoil. Also that he can't push it back with a bunch of other super strong dudes despite just cutting a mountain into little bits.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Yeah those are some real sticking points with the Birdcage, especially since there are ways to fix them. For example, the Birdcage could be cut but regenerated too quickly, halting it wouldn't work because it would grow new strings around the obstacle and continue cutting.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

bird cage, in the long-term, exists to justify gear 4 being used in the arc so it can be established right before luffy starts targeting yonkou.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, but having Luffy gently caress up Doflamingo then deflating or whatever would still do that, instead of Luffy being up Doflamingo, deflating, having the TEN MINUTE KIHAKI RECHARGE, then loving him up.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Not everyone has the same body type

well except for the women

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

In One Piece, women are either Nami or grotesque.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
anyway I honestly pulled the chute about 3/4ths (I guess?) through dressarosa because I was bored and didn't care about anything or anyone and realized I was only reading the manga because it was one piece

it was a bad arc

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Star Platinum posted:

You can still have a big fight without having to make the villain physically equal to Luffy. Look at Crocodile, he was clearly inferior to Luffy in physical strength once Luffy figured out the water weakness, but he still managed to win their second fight thanks to his ability, and the third fight still had tension thanks to the time limit and poison hook. Doffy should have been a similar "puzzle" fight, and it started off like that with the clever Shambles + Red Hawk trick, but after that he just started tanking attacks one after the other with virtually no signs of weakening until G4, and even that took two rounds to finish him off. Almost feels like Oda gave him a buff just because he had to introduce Gear 4 at that point and needed a sufficiently strong villain to show it off.

Croc also still did not go out in the third fight as he never bothered using his sand powers until he was too late to matter.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Which is more disappointing: Fishman Island or Dressrosa?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Waffleman_ posted:

fishman island totally after all that build up

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

too much hype surrounding this "pirate king" thing. it won't meet expectations.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Both were good.

Skypiea was good too.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

dressrosa/fishman island weren't bad but they def weren't good. they're just kinda there and then you get to something more interesting and forget they happened

I read them both without having to wait for updates and they're ok with some standout moments, but way weaker than everything around them. skypiea was really strong at the beginning and end but meandered in the middle, but at its worst it was still on par with most of the best stuff in those other two arcs imo

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

lol you guys remind me of that scene from american psycho with the business cards.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I loved fishman island idk what you guys are talking about

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

mabels big day posted:

It's reverse mountain with more foreshadowing (due to what was about to happen), so people attributed a shitload more meaning to the location than was ever intended for it and got upset when it turned out to just be the gateway to bigger poo poo that it was always meant to be.

Arc had a couple of issues but was largely fun.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Oh Snapple! posted:

It's reverse mountain with more foreshadowing (due to what was about to happen), so people attributed a shitload more meaning to the location than was ever intended for it and got upset when it turned out to just be the gateway to bigger poo poo that it was always meant to be.

Arc had a couple of issues but was largely fun.

there's also the fact that oda talked about the arc outside of the manga and specifically heralded it as the halfway point years in advance

and then it just ends up being this really basic fantasy racism story with a super nothing villain who goes down like a chump

it honestly wouldn't have stuck out to me as much without oda talking it up

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Waffleman_ posted:

I wouldn't say either was disappointing, just more flawed than other arcs.

How can you be disappointed by Senior Pink v Franky? Or Fishman Island's most interesting motivation of all the villains in One Piece?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it's there to set up some things for the future and show how much the crew has grown. the part where luffy knocks out like 50k people at once was cool

I wish hachi had a bigger role in it than showing up late to set up more of the blood transfusion stuff

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Gyges posted:

I wouldn't say either was disappointing, just more flawed than other arcs.

How can you be disappointed by Senior Pink v Franky? Or Fishman Island's most interesting motivation of all the villains in One Piece?

I can still be overall disappointed in an arc that otherwise has cool things (though I'll strongly disagree as to the Fishman Island villains motivation being interesting)

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

The first Skypeia priest who could use his mantra to predict Luffy's punch was going to be blinding pain was the best.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
fishman island was awful aside from the fisher tiger flashback, which was amazing.
dressrosa was in general better, but was just kinda mediocre and had waaaay to many characters that nobody gave a poo poo about, but also didn't have one super highlight moment like the flashback

so eh to them both. post-timeskip has generally been way more hit or miss than pre, but zou through to now has been knockout over and over. i think oda struggled a bit right after the timeskip as the whitebeard war saga from shabondy through to the timeskip was such a high point in every sense, probably the best arcs of the entire manga and emotionally it was huge, and then there was just mediocrity for a while thereafter, but i think he's got a good handle on things now

Minion of Freya
Jan 2, 2017
Skypeia owned from start to finish and only improves on a reread. New island, new villains, new technology, you could almost call it the promised romanticism. I knew BB wasn't a regular mook the first time he opened his mouth. I saw that coming. What I didn't see coming was how Luffy was going to deal with Enel.

My favorite insane theory over the years was that Devil Fruit could evolve into more powerful versions of themselves, and doing so turns them into nuts the next time around. And the Devil Fruit are heavily linked to the legacy of D, possibly created by the original D in the lost century. The original name the WG called them was the D's Evil Fruit. This entire comic has been a long setup for someone to show us the power of D's nuts.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Fishman Island was a good reread, I think it flowed pretty well and really showed off how much the crew had grown. Zoro loving up Hody was also fantastic.

Even on a reread Dressrosa is still pretty long, but it's still really good, I love the Doflamingo pirates and I think having Doffy as a guy that just would not go down showed how powerful the Shichibukai could be, like letting us see how powerful Mihawk can be, but also how monstrously strong Luffy has become. Doffy getting annihilated by Gear 4 is still so good, as well as most of the Coliseum guys, Bartholomew especially.

The bird cage was a big problem, but I think Oda wanted a really big emotional ending like with Alabasta. Having the people of Dressrosa being at complete despair and relying completely on Luffy did work well with Gatz's final countdown and convincing the people to not lose hope. Everything about the country had been completely shattered very quickly after Sugar went down. It's some powerful stuff, but goddamn it's a journey and a half getting there and the birdcage is still super dumb.

Skypeia was also a really cool adventure that feels so different to the rest of the manga that I love it. Wish the dial stuff had been utilised more, that stuff was rad.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Dressrosa had a billion things going on at once and was just too big, which created pacing problems. And then the final fight got dragged on for a while as well.

I still liked it better than Punk Hazard though.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

mabels big day posted:

I love parts of fishman island, but it feels like a bad mix of a cool story Oda wanted to tell and the thing every shonen feels has to do where after a timeskip they show off all the guys' new skills. So like, Fisher Tiger and his story owns, but having all of Hordy's lackies built up as a threat for the crew to show off instead of just Hordy, the cool octosword guy, and the camouflage master not so much. Hell, even Hordy feels hella contrived, like Zoro beat him in one hit, probably could have done the same to roid rage Hordy but it had to be Luffy fighting him because

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

So both?

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Oh Snapple! posted:

rebecca got to hold a cute birthday party for her dad and im glad of it

Oda draws the best Ugly Crying.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Last Celebration posted:

I love parts of fishman island, but it feels like a bad mix of a cool story Oda wanted to tell and the thing every shonen feels has to do where after a timeskip they show off all the guys' new skills. So like, Fisher Tiger and his story owns, but having all of Hordy's lackies built up as a threat for the crew to show off instead of just Hordy, the cool octosword guy, and the camouflage master not so much. Hell, even Hordy feels hella contrived, like Zoro beat him in one hit, probably could have done the same to roid rage Hordy but it had to be Luffy fighting him because

On the other hand, that chapter that is 19 pages of the Strawhats just shitstomping those guys right in a row is one of my favorite single chapters in the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006
I stopped reading One piece during both Fishman island and Dressrosa because I lost interest. Hordy was just a poo poo villain and I didn't really care about Law. The editors deserve some of the blame, because there was just too much going on at once. One piece usually does frantic fairly well, but when it starts to drag it gets tedious really fast. The art is more relaxed now, when it needs to be.

In any story like this there is a turning point where the hero goes from country bumpkin to famous rebel... and very often authors are unable to keep it interesting. In One Piece the turning point was probably the execution of Ace.

The current arc is interesting mainly for three reasons:

1. Luffy actually owns up to his reputation. He's straight up challenging an emperor now and that's where he needs to be. And it does that without trying to turn Luffy into this prophesied saviour-like figure.

2. It feels honest. What I mean by that is that Oda is managing to add depth to members of the crew, without changing who they are. We know Sanji likes the ladies, we know how stubborn and reckless Luffy can be, we know Sanji and Nami have an interesting relationship. The current arc manages to showcase all of this, because it is story driven. A good storyline doesn't need artificial time limits, asspulls or characters going full grimdark to be exciting.

3. The crew remains central, I care way more about Sanji than Law or some other princess-in-distress that I knew nothing about before. I can understand the fun in introducing new characters, but whatever is going on should always be personally relevant to at least one of the crew.

Piriwi fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Apr 26, 2017