Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah that was amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Maxwell Lord posted:

I feel like I need to emphasize and repeatedly remind everyone that Russo clearly meant that to be the show where everyone would say "It's all coming together!" and recognize what a genius he is and how brilliant his storytelling is.

And of course it ends with an nWo reunion. (Presumably Goldberg nearly slicing his arm off is next week?)

I love that part of his master plan was 'reform the nWo with Jeff Jarrett.' That is something that could only come from the mind of Vince Russo (or Jeff Jarrett).

Also, can't help but get the feeling he learned a bad lesson from Montreal. You can't pull back the curtain, knock down the 4th and expect people to keep watching when their suspension of belief is ruined. Montreal worked partially because it could have been a work, so nobody had to suspend their disbelief if they didn't feel the need to pry. And for those who did, it was intriguing to see real-world machinations play out in the wrestling ring.

Piper's rant in the locker room was great, but where precisely could it lead in a storyline? Piper and Goldberg vs. The Outsiders in a 'Collective Bargaining Agreement on a pole' match?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Last week: nWo 2000 formed!

Then on Thunder: Goldberg smashes a limo!

This week: The Outsiders are stripped of the tag titles and replays of Goldberg nearly dying!

On Nitro we will see the start of a Lethal Lottery Tag Team Tournament to crown new champs!

Also...

It's NEW YEAR'S EVIL!!!!!!

Shane vs Tank!

Scott Steiner retires!

Bret Hart vs Jerry Flynn in a Title match!

So much more!

7:30 for the pre show, 8 pm for Nitro!

https://synchtu.be/r/TheDJRanPosition

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Do we get to see the fallout from NWA:MS MOUNTAIN JAMBOREE?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Goldberg nearly lost an arm for Thunder?!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

Goldberg nearly lost an arm for Thunder?!

Seriously :psyduck: I always had it in my head that this was a nitro segment

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
We're going to take a bit of a break from NWA MSW. This week's pre-show is

MISTICO VS AVERNO!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

DJExile posted:

Seriously :psyduck: I always had it in my head that this was a nitro segment

Death of WCW kinda describes it that way. I'm surprised they didn't fix that in the revised release.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
LAST WEDNESDAY ON TUESDAY NITRO:

SCOTT STEINER RETIRED

THIS WEDNESDAY ON TUESDAY NITRO:

LEX LUGER SELLS FOR THE BIRD

Pre show: 7:30!

Nitro: 8 PM!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Lex Luger is a treasure

SLUM KING
Nov 16, 2011

I had to watch an incomplete rip of last week's show. THE TOTAL PACKAGE was missing but the PG-13 match was intact. It was criminal.

I am looking forward to future HOFer Larry Pfohl entertaining us all tonight.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Preshow is on the air with CENTRAL STATES WRESTLING from 84. Tune in for the worst of the territories! https://synchtu.be/r/TheDJRanPosition

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Instead of a preview I am going to write one sentence to hype up this Nitro.

THIS IS THE SHOW THAT GOT VINCE RUSSO SENT HOME.

8 PM for Nitro. 7:30ish for more bad territories.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

:suspense:

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Bring back MSW

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

fat wife of bob brown nvr4gt :911:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Preshow is on the air with ICW from 87! First match features a babyface coming out to Born in the USA to fight commies!

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MassRafTer posted:

Preshow is on the air with ICW from 87! First match features a babyface coming out to Born in the USA to fight commies!

https://twitter.com/Toffile/status/854859934068076544

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

god that ending almost made the whole wretched episode worth it

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUTKHvJWLxk

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Was there any specific reported reason why this was the Nitro that got Russo sent home?

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.

ChrisBTY posted:

Was there any specific reported reason why this was the Nitro that got Russo sent home?

Because it was poo poo awful?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

It was a 2 hour show that managed to go what seemed like 45 minutes between matches at one point. Oklahoma had a segment where he beat the poo poo out of 2 women. THREE JEFF JARRETT MATCHES. All 3 JJ matches involving a heel trying valiantly to overcome the odds of several faces teaming up against him. Kimberly showed up to do... Nothing. Having to stretch for time by giving DDP and Buff 5 minutes to talk. An opening segment where Terry Funk repeated himself a million times and went on forrreeeeeeveeerrr.

This was basically a half hour show stretching itself into 2 hours and literally everything was complete garbage.

E: and this was the go home show for Souled Out!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

To expand on that, I believe that main event was Nash vs a still concussed Bret Hart, and got JJ hurt somewhere in his 3 matches do he couldn't go at Souled Out. It's dumb as hell to make Jarrett your big thing, but to put him in 3 matches in a go home show before a PPV where he was booked to face... I think Benoit in ANOTHER 3 matches is just peak stupidity.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

ChrisBTY posted:

Souled Out was built around Bret/Sid for the world title and a 3 match series between Benoit and Jarrett for the US title.

Bret was working with a concussion and it hosed him up to the point where he basically retired in the ring after this Nitro.

Jarrett got the poo poo beaten out of him and got concussed in the Supafly Splash/Benoit Swandive Headbutt from the cage spot.

With the entire PPV skeleton basically thrown out, Russo pushed for a Battle Royale to crown the new champion.

He wanted Tank Abbott to come out and win.

Between the booking of all the other titles (Madusa winning the cruiserweight strap and Oklahoma planned to go over on Souled Out, plus the entire tag tournament mess), plain horrible booking elsewhere, and poo poo ratings, him pushing for Tank "Quack Quack" Abbott as world champion was the straw that broke the camels back and why he got sent home.

Then they put Kevin Sullivan up as booker and rebooked the ME to be Benoit going over Sid, trying to placate Benoit from leaving (it didn't work). They also randomly stuck Billy Kidman into Jarrett's spot on the card, wrestling 3 matches.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Apr 20, 2017

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

DJExile posted:

This was basically a half hour show stretching itself into 2 hours and literally everything was complete garbage.
Except Daffney.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Man there was just no bottom to the Russo run.

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Bring back MSW

I'm kind of enjoying the tour of the territories.

Funkchop
Jun 9, 2013
Scott Steiner cutting a promo and the entire thing being censored was pretty funny

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Funkchop posted:

Scott Steiner cutting a promo and the entire thing being censored was pretty funny

Yeah that was amazing, it was supposedly between him being drunk with hookers, then coming back out at random just to cut that promo, then right back to the drunk hookers. And the only time he was in Scott Steiner character mode was for the promo.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Given WCW I didn't think a mere 'this is rancid dog poo poo' was sufficient reason to send Russo home.
I would have figured corporate backlash against Funk's fire spot on Nash or something more pedantic would have done it.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

why in god's name was Jarrett wrestling three of the business's stars from a bygone era, what possible reason could there have been

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Nostalgia pop.
Also: Apparently Jarrett knows where Russo hid the bodies.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
The idea was he was gonna face Benoit in a three match series, so it's a standard kind of "preview" of the PPV. Except that Jarrett is supposed to be the heel (despite the "shades of grey" thing Russo kinda slid back to faces and heels at the end) so putting him at a disadvantage is counterproductive. And also who wants to watch JJ wrestle three matches in a row anyway, and also, finally, you risk injuring your guy before the PPV which is exactly what happened.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
This week on Wednesday Nitro:

IT'S NATIONAL CHRIS BENOIT'S LAST SHOW DAY!

Vince Russo has been sent home, Goldberg lost his arm, Bret Hart died, Jeff Jarrett has a concussion and who knows what else. A new era begins with

SOULED OUT 2000!

TRIPLE THREAT THEATER MATCH 1

DUNGEON RULES: KIDMAN VS DEAN MALENKO

Handicap Match: Vampiro vs Crowbar and David Flair

Johnny The Bull and Vito vs The Harris Brothers

CRUISERWEIGHT TITLE: OKLAHOMA VS MADUSA

Hardcore Title: Norman Smiley vs Brian Knobs vs Meng vs Fit Finlay

TRIPLE THREAT THEATER MATCH 2

BUNKHOUSE BRAWL: KIDMAN VS SATURN

Booker T vs Stevie Ray

TANK ABBOTT VS JERRY FLYNN

Last Man Standing: DDP vs Buff Bagwell

TRIPLE THREAT THEATER MATCH 3

CAGED HEAT: KIDMAN VS THE WALL

Terry Funk vs Kevin Nash

WINNER LEAVES TOWN WORLD TITLE MATCH: SID VS CHRIS BENOIT

The preshow will actually start at 7 PM, so tune in at 7 for the preshow and 8 for SOULED OUT!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
So they're still having the three match series but with someone not involved with the story at all.

I wonder if they're going to try and explain how Benoit is in the world title match and why it's loser leaves town

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

It's not actually loser leaves town (or winner leaves town for that matter).

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah giving Benoit a title shot at this PPV was WCWs last ditch attempt to get him to stay

E: I got prepped for this by watching the original Souled Out last night. Holy hell

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Maxwell Lord posted:

So they're still having the three match series but with someone not involved with the story at all.

I wonder if they're going to try and explain how Benoit is in the world title match and why it's loser leaves town

its been a while since I watched it, but they came clean and lead off the show with "Bret and Jeff are injured here's your replacement ME" and then the Revolution beat up Konnan and somehow Billy Kidman is now wrestling Malenko, Saturn, and a mystery man. All within like 5 minutes.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MassRafTer posted:

WINNER LEAVES TOWN WORLD TITLE MATCH: SID VS CHRIS BENOIT

Spoiler: Chris Benoit was leaving WCW for WWF at the time so quite clearly Sid is winning this one :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The preshow is starting wit USA WRESTLING from 88! Tune in and don't miss out on a TOTALLY ABULOUS Music video from Memphis I unearthed! https://synchtu.be/r/TheDJRanPosition