Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Healbot posted:

Because it presents a challenge and you get to call yourself a Grandmaster of Tetris if you succeed in a prolonged trial.

The gameplay during the credit roll is nothing short of mindblowing either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

TerraGoetia posted:

I am a girl who likes games but my gay lover is bad at games. Can infinite mini-golf spice up our withered romance?

MK8DX will!!!!!!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SeANMcBAY posted:

Why do all the Tetris pros like this version over others?

because its insanely hard as gently caress and there is a grandmaster certification wherein you have to do some insane poo poo multiple games in a row and maybe you'll become a grandmaster

also the last time I checked there was only a single American grandmaster, and if its expanded past that, I still bet you could count the number of grandmasters on a single hand in north america

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

That version of tetris according to those folks has been tuned to about as fast as a human player can be expected to play. The time you get from the piece appearing on the field and locking at the bottom is measured in double digits frames at the higher speeds. I've tried playing the so called Easy mode at the arcade and barely managed to clear it.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Healbot posted:

Because it presents a challenge and you get to call yourself a Grandmaster of Tetris if you succeed in a prolonged trial.
Hell it's the only Tetris that provides a challenge for them (single player at least).

Evil Fluffy posted:

The gameplay during the credit roll is nothing short of mindblowing either.
And you only get the special credit roll if you played through well enough, beyond just getting to it in the first place.

eonwe posted:

because its insanely hard as gently caress and there is a grandmaster certification wherein you have to do some insane poo poo multiple games in a row and maybe you'll become a grandmaster

also the last time I checked there was only a single American grandmaster, and if its expanded past that, I still bet you could count the number of grandmasters on a single hand in north america
Heh, best video is when he failed, skip to 7 minutes in:
https://youtu.be/lDk0s8B_Pc0

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Cicero posted:

Puyo Puyo Tetris is rad and all but for the love of God why can't I customize the controls. I j-j-just want to move hard drop from up to a face button...

Play with a joycon and up IS a face button

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Way back in the old days of TetriNET I was told to not even bother trying to go online until you can average at least 100 pieces per minute, and I doubt that people have gotten worse at Tetris in the years since. You basically have to just slam down the pieces as fast as you can process what shape they are. Placing them in places that aren't stupid comes with time.

Even without items and stuff, it's a completely different game than single player score attack Tetris.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
It's a fun time learning to puyo, but gently caress these story mode cut scenes are awful! Just really really bad!

Can't mash that + button fast enough.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
tetris grandmaster is such a mentally taxing game that iirc Kevinddr had a meltdown over the third game i think? I think he grinded the gently caress out of it so much and had nothing to show for it and smashed the board to satisfy all the poo poo he was sacrificing for it.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

I'm pretty good at Tetris, but I can't get more than a 2-chain at Puyo to save my life. The tutorial videos are useless, too; Video one: Durr, match the colors idiot. Video two: perfect five-chain stairstep patterns with no explanation on how to actually set them up without lucking in to the perfect pieces.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

How do you beat the AI in tetris anyway? I'm on 3-10 and I can go for a good while getting tetris's and line clears but like, the AI never actually dies despite not doing as well as me and it's kind of frustrating. Then a missed input randomly happens and rip there goes the last 4-5 minutes

Fly with me
Aug 19, 2006

Single-handedly repopulating the Earth.

Rexroom posted:

You like wild, hard to verify rumors? How's this for size:

https://twitter.com/Dystify/status/856906915871432704

The ad campaign for this better be "Huh, I guess it CAN fit on a cartridge."

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Yeah there are some bat poo poo insane tetris players online right now just mercilessly destroying my self confidence holy heck. I don't even want to go outside ever again until I become a tetris ultra hero or whatever the gently caress.

Mr Phillby posted:

It's a fun time learning to puyo, but gently caress these story mode cut scenes are awful! Just really really bad!

Can't mash that + button fast enough.

I actually laughed once or twice and I'm just done the first act. It's really, really dumb, for sure.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
The vid of the ddr guy becoming gm is pretty cool

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Sweet, clearing one or two lines as Suketoudara prompts him to shout "suck ma penis!" I was worried I wouldn't be able to find a character whose lovely voice I can tolerate.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Welp, stuck on 4-4. Score 15,000 points in 30 seconds at Puyo? What? This seems so far beyond what I'm capable of that I worry I'll never finish the story mode.

Edit: Bitching about it, in classic fashion, cauaed me to immediately nail it. Also wasn't actually hard because I'd been reading the scores wrong by and thought my best attempt was 1000 when it was actually 10,000.

I still suck rear end at Puyo though.

Funkmaster General fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Apr 26, 2017

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
heres a hot tip

puyo puyo tetris owns

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

the hypothetical ability to play SMT w/the sick hd art in the indeterminate future

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
I'm ready to play super Mario world RIGHT now on my Switch.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Lord Wexia posted:

Just give me access to all of Square's SNES catalog. For some reason having a handheld console has made me want a long-form jRPG.

shin megami tensei!! just three or four more years to go

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I'm ready to play super Mario world RIGHT now on my Switch.

ya

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
Final Fantasy 7 Remake is cool and all, but give us Nier Automata first please. Not that I actually expect either, but it would make me happy.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
https://twitter.com/Babylonian/status/857004935631613952

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
a good looking 3D sonic????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1wYD5b4VUw

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I figured this was a error until I played more and no, she's actually just like that.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

a sonic that's "3D" in the same way trine is is fine by me

i look forward to the inevitable sloppy controls and dropped frames because they felt compelled to make it actually just a 3D game with a locked camera that the console can't quite handle and miss the entire point again

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

enojy posted:

Sweet, clearing one or two lines as Suketoudara prompts him to shout "suck ma penis!" I was worried I wouldn't be able to find a character whose lovely voice I can tolerate.

Uh...??? Zed???

Vitamins!
Exercise!
PROTEIN!!!!!

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

I unironically love this story

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Anyways the only thing about this game that is bothering me is the drat story missions that are versus battles which require you to score X points for the 3 star rank. I always wipe the AI out too quickly before I have the chance to rack up points!

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Guys, I'm starting to think about grabbing a Switch on Friday if I can, and I'm still having a hard time debating between Grey and Blue/Red combo. Truth is, I'll be playing it with a pro controller a lot I have a feeling at home. I can't decide :ohdear:

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

a sonic that's "3D" in the same way trine is is fine by me

i look forward to the inevitable sloppy controls and dropped frames because they felt compelled to make it actually just a 3D game with a locked camera that the console can't quite handle and miss the entire point again

Did...did you never play/see Generations or Colors or Unleashed? This game isn't Sonic 4 and isn't made by Dimps.

Forces is basically Generations 2 from what we've seen so far, but with original levels and a ~mystery~ third character with a different playstyle from Classic/Modern Sonic.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I'm in the middle of Act 2 and had to put it down because my brain isn't doing Puyo tonight.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Jimmy Hats posted:

Anyways the only thing about this game that is bothering me is the drat story missions that are versus battles which require you to score X points for the 3 star rank. I always wipe the AI out too quickly before I have the chance to rack up points!

*dragging an enormous pile of garbage puyos* haha yeah man it's just too easy

I'm friggin terrible at puyo you guys

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

LionArcher posted:

Guys, I'm starting to think about grabbing a Switch on Friday if I can, and I'm still having a hard time debating between Grey and Blue/Red combo. Truth is, I'll be playing it with a pro controller a lot I have a feeling at home. I can't decide :ohdear:

Gray if your over 11.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Gray if your over 11.

11 decades maybe.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Dr Cheeto posted:

I unironically love this story

ya

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Gray if your over 11.

neon if ur kool

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president

where

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Who's playing Puyo Puyo Tetris?

SW-5367-8098-6791

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Seriously, god drat

• Locked thread