Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Maybe Pies and Dons fans don't know how to party like Saints and Cats fans?

E: Or you guys have only been to poo poo games at Etihad?

Periphery fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Apr 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

Periphery posted:

I went to two footy games this weekend:

MCG with 87k had a worse atmosphere than Etihad with 33k. Don't get me wrong, the atmosphere at the G was good but Etihad with the roof closed is a totally different beast. Seating positions were relatively similar.

The Pressure Cooker!!

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Periphery posted:

E: Or you guys have only been to poo poo games at Etihad?

To be fair, I have been to a fair few games at Etihad where there's been a crazy atmosphere. The Essendon vs Geelong game in 2011 where we ended their unbeaten streak in like round 14 or 15 was pretty intense. Also that game against Sydney where at 3/4 time we were down 2.15 to 11.8 and then just fell short at 11.16 to 13.8, the game where Dempsey played on as the siren sounded rather than having a shot for goal. Was a dead atmosphere for the first 3/4 but was insane in the last. But on the other hand I've been to way, way more games at Etihad where the crowd is flat compared to the G.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

thepokey posted:

To be fair, I have been to a fair few games at Etihad where there's been a crazy atmosphere. The Essendon vs Geelong game in 2011 where we ended their unbeaten streak in like round 14 or 15 was pretty intense. Also that game against Sydney where at 3/4 time we were down 2.15 to 11.8 and then just fell short at 11.16 to 13.8, the game where Dempsey played on as the siren sounded rather than having a shot for goal. Was a dead atmosphere for the first 3/4 but was insane in the last. But on the other hand I've been to way, way more games at Etihad where the crowd is flat compared to the G.

Yeah, Etihad can be pretty dead for a lot of games. Anything with less than 20k attendance can be real bad - particularly if the Saints are playing (and losing to) an interstate team. But I'd imagine the same is true for the G.

boy undead
Nov 11, 2006

time to get prolific with
the whiz kid
There's no better atmosphere than a finals game at the MCG between two Victorian teams, but a big game at the Docklands with the roof closed can be pretty awesome. It just locks in all the sound and it's loving deafening.

I distinctly remember how loud it was for Wool's goal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybrHc9Lq4TE

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

The MCG when it's at 80+ and has *two* fanbases locked in is amazing.

Docklands when it's a Victorian team that can be arsed travelling to Docklands (so, not the Demons) can be amazing.

Personally, I prefer travelling to Docklands because less walking and stuffing around at Richmond, but I went to a finals matchup between Hawthorn and Geelong in 2014 at the G and that was an experience that was genuinely worth the money (?60 dollars for concession silver seats?) I paid.

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Apr 25, 2017

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
There's a story going round of a Port nazi in Melbourne and I'm 99% sure it's a guy I kicked out of the store back when I was working bottleo, although at that time he was carrying a confederate flag instead of a swastija armband

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
The atmosphere at docklands can be good when it is full, but I just don't think anything can compare to a big game at the g with 80 or more.

Schlesische posted:

The MCG when it's at 80+ and has *two* fanbases locked in is amazing.

Docklands when it's a Victorian team that can be arsed travelling to Docklands (so, not the Demons) can be amazing.

Personally, I prefer travelling to Docklands because less walking and stuffing around at Richmond, but I went to a finals matchup between Hawthorn and Geelong in 2014 at the G and that was an experience that was genuinely worth the money (?60 dollars for concession silver seats?) I paid.

Do you mean the 2013 prelim? We played a qf against geelong in 2014 but the 2013 game was amazing. The atmosphere at that game was so intense. The noise in the last minute, amplified by the emotion of finally beating Geelong and ending that stupid curse, was unbelievable. I've never been to a game like that at Docklands, but I've been a neutral sitting in other mcg games that had that same kind of pulsating atmosphere.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Docklands *can* throw up great games but it usually is a snooze atmosphere wise. Even kardinia park usually kills it.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

boy undead posted:

There's no better atmosphere than a finals game at the MCG between two Victorian teams, but a big game at the Docklands with the roof closed can be pretty awesome. It just locks in all the sound and it's loving deafening.

I distinctly remember how loud it was for Wool's goal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybrHc9Lq4TE

It always amazes me to see level 2 actually full

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Solemn Sloth posted:

There's a story going round of a Port nazi in Melbourne and I'm 99% sure it's a guy I kicked out of the store back when I was working bottleo, although at that time he was carrying a confederate flag instead of a swastija armband

Yeah, he also likes to wear a soviet bear skin hat to go with his swastika armband. The guy has some pretty serious mental health issues

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
Ii haven't been to a game with better atmosphere than the Cats v Saints game at Etihad in 09 when both teams were 13-0. It was insane

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Years ago I went to a midwinter night game at the G, it was cold and wet, and it was the Saints vs a team I forget, and that's the most dead an atmosphere I've experienced at a game.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

The MCG was really loving loud with 85k on Monday night. It was mostly Tigers fans, and when they hit the front in the third the crowd went absolutely berserk.

It sucked.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Max Gawn's beard is no more.

https://twitter.com/EmilyBenammar/status/857033128220565506

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

He looks like joe loving Daniher I'm glad he's injured the fuckhead

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
That's no good. Glue it back on!

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Shmoses posted:

Ii haven't been to a game with better atmosphere than the Cats v Saints game at Etihad in 09 when both teams were 13-0. It was insane
Yeah, but that was like the second best home-and-away game of the 00s (best was the huge comeback by Essendon against North) so that's understandable.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

The Deadly Hume posted:

Yeah, but that was like the second best home-and-away game of the 00s (best was the huge comeback by Essendon against North) so that's understandable.

IMO it's the best home and away game ever played. Two absolute heavyweights swinging haymakers.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

https://www.facebook.com/wakingupwithalaugh/videos/734744343361887/

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

So who is Jordan Lewis going to whack in the first ten minutes of Melbourne vs Essendon next week to get himself another holiday?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

So who is Jordan Lewis going to whack in the first ten minutes of Melbourne vs Essendon next week to get himself another holiday?

the umpire, probably

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

gay picnic defence posted:

the umpire, probably

What a good bloke

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

carltonnewsletter posted:

BLAST FROM THE PAST

Carlton and Sydney prepare to face off at the MCG for the first time in 31 years.
Huh. I wasn't even born the last time we played eachother at the MCG...

It'll be empty.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Windmill Hut posted:

The MCG was really loving loud with 85k on Monday night. It was mostly Tigers fans, and when they hit the front in the third the crowd went absolutely berserk.

It sucked.

Well, what do you expect when you realise that your team is now about to win the premiership?

And man, Gawn looks like the sort of bloke who would try selling you shards while you're standing waiting for the lights to go green

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

drunkill posted:

Huh. I wasn't even born the last time we played eachother at the MCG...

It'll be empty.
Not that weird, I guess, Carlton's home grounds have been Princes Park and then Docklands. And that last game at the 'G was a final.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
Jesse Hogan's father died :(

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

tnimark posted:

Jesse Hogan's father died :(

That's really poo poo. The only positive thing is he got to spend time with him the week before last while suspended.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Daniel Talia hobbles off the ground the first minute of the game with a hamstring injury. Riley Knight leaves the game with minutes left in the last, and has his hamstring iced as a precaution against a slight twinge.

Riley Knight is going to miss a week with a hamstring strain. Daniel Talia has no hamstring injury and will play this week.

:what:

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

NTRabbit posted:

Daniel Talia hobbles off the ground the first minute of the game with a hamstring injury. Riley Knight leaves the game with minutes left in the last, and has his hamstring iced as a precaution against a slight twinge.

Riley Knight is going to miss a week with a hamstring strain. Daniel Talia has no hamstring injury and will play this week.

What I'm taking from this is Talia is a giant sook

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Solemn Sloth posted:

What I'm taking from this is Talia is a giant sook

We've had so many hamstring injuries already this year, and a couple that were made a lot worse in preseason by players (B. Crouch, Cheney) trying to tough it out and play through them, that players are jumping at shadows now. They're saying it was tendonitis, coupled with cooling down during the extra long break between warmup and the game because of ANZAC Day stuff

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

NTRabbit posted:

One guy played on it, the other got it massaged for two hours. Who do you think is going to pull up better?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Caleb Daniel & Bailey Williams back in for the Bulldogs. Caleb has been kinda limited thanks to his shoulder surgery during the offseason but I ask everyone to watch Williams and the way he goes about it. He's not quick but he's a HBF that just seems to have that extra second or so to think things through.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
Koby Stevens in for Luke Dunstan finally for the Saints.

I am a massive Dunstan fan and I think this is the best thing that could happen to him. Needs the VFL experience to rebuild his playing mindset after a few woeful games.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Bri Davey has taken the Carlton B&F award.

https://twitter.com/CarltonFC/status/857556969116364800

Full voting tally here: http://www.carltonfc.com.au/sites/Carlton/news/2017-04-27/davey-crowned-aflw-bf

Other awards:
Most Improved Player - Breann Moody
Blue Bloods Award (best club values) madeline keryk (Co-vice-captain)
Leading Goalkicker - Darcy Vescio
https://twitter.com/CarltonFC/status/857563524800823296

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Is there any reason they did the B&F so late? The season finished a month ago.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

NTRabbit posted:

Coming off and not playing the rest of the game probably helped. Reminds me of the time Brodie Martin did his ACL, played the rest of the game and was best on for the Crows, and then didn't play a match for over 12 months.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

cmndstab posted:

Is there any reason they did the B&F so late? The season finished a month ago.

Bulldogs haven't had theirs yet.

My guess is just scheduling. Players had to go on a mandatory holiday/leave from the clubs for like 2 weeks or something and they're about to be allowed to go play for their local clubs starting next? weekend so everyone would be back in melbourne from holidays (no christmas break for the aflw players)

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Just declaring now that I have tipped Norf to Norf it up against Gold Coast despite finally dropping Thomas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I am loving idiots saying Melbourne's ruck situation is a result of poor list management, I'm sure lots of afl standard rucks would have jumped at the chance to be third on the depth chart. Who wouldn't want to bet on two ruck injuries in three weeks to get out of the VFL!

• Locked thread