Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Did not see this posted but apparently, Amazon will be live streaming Thursday night football games for Prime Video subscribers. This could be a beginning of groups like Netflix, Hulu and Amazon buying into sports streaming rights.

https://www.recode.net/2017/4/4/15184100/nfl-amazon-football-games-thursday-streaming-watch-live-prime-twitter

quote:

Last year, the National Football League experimented by letting Twitter livestream 10 Thursday night games.

This year, pro football will continue the test, but will switch it up: Amazon has bought the rights to the league’s streaming package, and will offer the games for free to its Amazon Prime subscribers around the world.

Facebook, Twitter and Google’s YouTube had also expressed interest in carrying the games this year.

Amazon is paying around $50 million for the 10 games it will show next fall, according to a person familiar with the deal. That’s a big increase from the $10 million Twitter paid for last year’s games.

The rest of the deal is roughly similar to the one Twitter had last year: CBS and NBC will each broadcast five games, and Amazon will stream the networks’ coverage, including their ads. Amazon will have the rights to sell a handful of ad slots per game.

Amazon says it may sell ads for those slots, but says it will also use them to promote the company’s other video offerings.

Amazon won’t have exclusive streaming rights for the games. CBS and NBC will also have the ability to stream the games they broadcast, and Verizon will stream the games to its wireless subscribers.

The deal is Amazon’s first significant foray into livestreaming (besides Twitch, the live video game streaming platform it bought a few years ago), and its first major move into sports; Amazon has also worked with the NFL on “All or Nothing,” a behind-the-scenes documentary series that debuted last summer.

But Amazon has been ramping up its interest in live sports. “For us, this is about starting to bring live sports to our Prime members all around the world,” said Jeff Blackburn, the company’s head of business development and entertainment.

Last year, when Twitter beat out Amazon for the NFL games, both Twitter and the NFL made a big deal about the fact that Twitter had around 300 million users worldwide. And they said Twitter could reach even more people with NFL games, because it wouldn’t require anyone to log in to Twitter to watch them.

This year, the NFL seems to have made a different calculation. By putting it behind its Amazon Prime paywall, Amazon will reach a smaller potential audience. Amazon has never disclosed its Prime subscriber numbers, but my colleague Jason Del Rey thinks the company has 66 million subscribers; some Wall Street analysts think the number is higher.

But Brian Rolapp, the NFL executive in charge of the league’s media deals, argues that Amazon should be able to find at least as many viewers as Twitter did, since Amazon Prime members visit and use Amazon a lot.

“Reach is a focus of ours. I think Amazon has been able to demonstrate, in everything that they do, massive scale,” he said. “I don’t think this is limiting the reach. I think this is expanding the reach.”

It’s unclear what benefit streaming the games actually provides for a digital platform. Last year, both Twitter and the NFL said they were pleased with the results of the experiment, but the games didn’t generate a huge audience: They averaged less than 300,000 viewers per minute, while CBS and NBC averaged 15.8 million viewers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Did not see this posted but apparently, Amazon will be live streaming Thursday night football games for Prime Video subscribers. This could be a beginning of groups like Netflix, Hulu and Amazon buying into sports streaming rights.

https://www.recode.net/2017/4/4/15184100/nfl-amazon-football-games-thursday-streaming-watch-live-prime-twitter

Thursday games are trash and everyone knows this so they lose nothing by doing this. It's why they let Yahoo stream the London games. Let me know when it's something anyone cares about.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Twitter simulcasted them last year. The NFL has been letting the rights to stream Thursday games go for cheap the last few years just to see what happens. They're generally poo poo games and with the exception of the few that are only on NFL Network, they are also broadcast on network TV, so there's not much reason to watch the stream anyway.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Yeah, they're poo poo games, but the important bit is that they're developing the technical capacity and institutional knowledge to live stream games and testing the audience for them. It's a small step, but an important one if you ever want to get to something like MLB.tv for football.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Why would I watch Thursday NFL when there's #MACtion to be watched?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah, they're poo poo games, but the important bit is that they're developing the technical capacity and institutional knowledge to live stream games and testing the audience for them. It's a small step, but an important one if you ever want to get to something like MLB.tv for football.

I'm not sure what that last part means. Does NFL not offer some sort of online streaming solution like all the other major sports do?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I'm not sure what that last part means. Does NFL not offer some sort of online streaming solution like all the other major sports do?

lol nope. The NFL sucks. If you want to watch those games streaming you need to cobble something together usually involving a cable subscription so you can access ESPN, TBS, CBS, FOX, and whoever else bought the rights to games through their interface.

NFL.com has a Game Pass that gives you streaming access to pre-season games ( :laffo: ) and eventually lets you watch already aired games after a certain period of time. I forget what the time delay is.

Edit: laffo, I just looked it up and it's shittier than I remember. The replays are for past seasons and you can watch condensed games (about 30 minutes per game you watch) for the current season sometime after they air.

edit x2: further research shows that there's an online only version of Direct TV's Sunday Ticket for $50/month, but that only gets you out of market games and it only gets you the Sunday games. Again, laffo.

edit x3: gently caress me, I just did the math and that's $200 for a 4 month NFL season of only sunday games. Meanwhile MLB.tv is the whole loving April-October for $150 and everything that isn't in your market.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Apr 25, 2017

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Unlike baseball and basketball, NFL teams generally play one game a week. Thursday and Monday tend to be nationally-televised showcase games, so most of your NFL action is happening on Sunday at 1 pm Eastern 4 pm Eastern on CBS and Fox, and then a night game on NBC around 8.

So unlike baseball, which is basically happening every day for five months, football has days-long stretches without games. TV loves football because its scarcity makes each game more of an event, so if you live near your favorite team, you'll tune in to broadcast TV to see them play every week. That's lucrative as hell for the networks and for the NFL. AT&T also has exclusive rights to the NFL's all-the-games product NFL GameDay that they sell through their subsidiary DirecTV to residential subscribers for a good amount of money and to business subscribers (bars) for a gently caress load of money.

An MLB.tv like product for the NFL that is worth the hit they'd take from the reduction in TV audience and the disappearance of DirecTV's payment for exclusive rights would come with a monthly that nobody will pay.

tl;dr The NFL isn't stupid, the incentives just aren't there.

The Amazon deal, like the Twitter deal before it, is really more about getting people talking about TNF. If and when the One True NFL Streaming Product comes along Amazon and Twitter will have gently caress all to do with its operation.

TheScott2K fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Apr 25, 2017

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Just use AdFreeTime and sign up for NFL GamePass like the other sports services. If they think you aren't in the US, you get live games.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Well I mean, the NFL doesn't give a poo poo because currently they don't have to. They're the 800lb gorilla right now. If their ratings keep slipping like they did last year though, who knows what we'll see in a few years.

I currently use a system involving OTA for most Sunday games, my dad's cable login for ESPN for Monday games (I think that's who had them last year?) and giving up on Thursday games so the Amazon deal will at least let me get that reliably.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Yea "the NFL doesn't have to find their audience because their audience finds them" is definitely truer for the than the a other leagues.

You could have watched ten of the Thursday games on NBC/CBS or Twitter last year though.

TheScott2K fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Apr 25, 2017

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I like RedZone because it only shows me games when they're interesting since I don't have an investment in any particular team.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

I like RedZone because it only shows me games when they're interesting since I don't have an investment in any particular team.
Yeah I can't go back to watching NFL Sunday any other way than RedZone.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

Meanwhile MLB.tv is the whole loving April-October for $150 and everything that isn't in your market.

MLB sucks, too. I mean, they're leaps and bounds better than any other league, but I can't pay any amount of money to stream the Mariners while in Seattle. Even if you buy MLB.tv and add on the "follow my team" option, that will only get you away games IF you authenticate with your cable/satellite provider that carries the RSN, and even then you have to watch through a computer.

drat you root sports, get on dtv now.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

TheScott2K posted:

You could have watched ten of the Thursday games on NBC/CBS or Twitter last year though.
I thought only a couple were on TV and the rest were all on Twitter? Besides, how would I cast twitter on my TV with a roku? Never mind the fact that I don't even understand how to watch a TV show on Twitter?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Croatoan posted:

I thought only a couple were on TV and the rest were all on Twitter? Besides, how would I cast twitter on my TV with a roku? Never mind the fact that I don't even understand how to watch a TV show on Twitter?

The ones on Twitter all simulcast on NBC or CBS depending on the week. The Twitter stream was Chromecast compatible, I think, and there may have been some way for Rokus and ATVs to natively play it. Honestly can't remember that part since I have an antenna.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm 90% sure they were viewable on the AppleTV Twitter app.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

RZA Encryption posted:

MLB sucks, too. I mean, they're leaps and bounds better than any other league, but I can't pay any amount of money to stream the Mariners while in Seattle. Even if you buy MLB.tv and add on the "follow my team" option, that will only get you away games IF you authenticate with your cable/satellite provider that carries the RSN, and even then you have to watch through a computer.

drat you root sports, get on dtv now.

Using AdFreeTime or Unblock.us will also get you around the blackouts.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Luceo posted:

Using AdFreeTime or Unblock.us will also get you around the blackouts.

I'm not going to route my internet traffic through some service. There should be a normal way.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

RZA Encryption posted:

I'm not going to route my internet traffic through some service. There should be a normal way.

That's VPN, which is different. The services I mentioned only handle your DNS requests.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
So even though I cancelled my DTVNow subscription a few months ago I accidentally launched the app today (hadn't uninstalled it) and I am apparently still getting HBO through it.

I remember there being some free HBO promotion around the time I stopped but I wasn't expecting that promo to keep going after I stopped paying.

One day too late though. I just paid $15 yesterday for HBO Now for Silicon Valley.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Luceo posted:

That's VPN, which is different. The services I mentioned only handle your DNS requests.

Interesting, but I'd still be passing my metadata through a third party, and I still think I should be able to do it in a more normal way.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

RZA Encryption posted:

Interesting, but I'd still be passing my metadata through a third party, and I still think I should be able to do it in a more normal way.

You can selectively route only certain sites/traffic through it though and just use your normal DNS for everything else. I only route NFL/Netflix through a similar thing. A few easily googled DNSMasq entries on your router and you're good to go.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

The Gunslinger posted:

You can selectively route only certain sites/traffic through it though and just use your normal DNS for everything else. I only route NFL/Netflix through a similar thing. A few easily googled DNSMasq entries on your router and you're good to go.

Yes, this is possible, but it shouldn't be necessary.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
One man alone yells into the coming storm:

"YOU SHOULD BE MORE CONVENIENT!"

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

RZA Encryption posted:

Ok well good luck. I just want to watch football so I'm going bite the bullet :)

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

RZA Encryption posted:

I mean sure, it shouldn't be necessary, but what's easier, signing up for a cheap DNS service or getting the sports leagues/networks to change their blackout policies, and in the case of the NFL, whether they'll actually sell to you at all because you're a filthy American?

Unless you're hosting your own DNS server, you're passing your DNS requests through a third party, whether that be your ISP's servers (:barf: don't do this), OpenDNS, or Google. AdFreeTime/Unblock.us is just a paid DNS service that's reputable and will get you around all of the bullshit from the sports leagues, and does it quite easily.

If you want to stream paid sports subscription services in the US without blackouts, that's what you have to accept.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
The whole idea behind blackouts for the NFL in TYOOL 2017 is just so absurd. Right, I guess I'm just gonna go watch the game in person since I can't watch it on TV you big jerks! No one does that. You either want to go to a game or you don't. A blackout has nothing to do with it. Physically going to a game is an experience in itself. It's just an example of monolithic corporations not giving a poo poo which has been the NFL's motto since the 60's.

Then again it's completely unsurprising that cord cutters would be upset about that attitude. It's why most people cut the cord anyway.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

With the NFL at least blackouts are pretty infrequent. The games sell out.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I think it depends on the owner of the game in the market. I live in Atlanta and they've blacked out like 1 or 2 games in the past 5 years. Before that I lived in Denver and well, they han't not sold out a game since 1969.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Croatoan posted:

I think it depends on the owner of the game in the market. I live in Atlanta and they've blacked out like 1 or 2 games in the past 5 years. Before that I lived in Denver and well, they han't not sold out a game since 1969.

In the 90's I remember Seattle having issues meeting the blackout threshold, and some local companies would buy the remaining tickets.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

In the 90's I remember Seattle having issues meeting the blackout threshold, and some local companies would buy the remaining tickets.

This would happen fairly often in Jacksonville years back. Winn-Dixie, a local grocery chain, would buy a bunch and sell them cheap or give them away.

Luceo posted:

I mean sure, it shouldn't be necessary, but what's easier, signing up for a cheap DNS service or getting the sports leagues/networks to change their blackout policies, and in the case of the NFL, whether they'll actually sell to you at all because you're a filthy American?

Unless you're hosting your own DNS server, you're passing your DNS requests through a third party, whether that be your ISP's servers (:barf: don't do this), OpenDNS, or Google. AdFreeTime/Unblock.us is just a paid DNS service that's reputable and will get you around all of the bullshit from the sports leagues, and does it quite easily.

If you want to stream paid sports subscription services in the US without blackouts, that's what you have to accept.

I hear what you're saying, but my desire to go though a paid third party DNS server and create dnsmasq entries on my router is far lower than my desire to watch the game. I get that some people are willing to put up with that kind of jank, but I'm not.

Wayne Knight fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Apr 26, 2017

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

DNS fuckery is the "just plug your PC into the TV" of sports watching

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

It really isn't, but :shrug:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

RZA Encryption posted:

This would happen fairly often in Jacksonville years back. Winn-Dixie, a local grocery chain, would buy a bunch and sell them cheap or give them away.

I too am from an area with an historically lovely team.

RZA Encryption posted:

I hear what you're saying, but my desire to go though a paid third party DNS server and create dnsmasq entries on my router is far lower than my desire to watch the game. I get that some people are willing to put up with that kind of jank, but I'm not.

This is my attitude as well, I'd rather just not watch the games. And let's be real here, the current ESPN layoffs and their radically shrinking subscriber base is proof that abstaining from the product will eventually have a positive effect. The current model for TV rights and carriage fees is unsustainable and everyone knows it.

That said, it's tough to see this falling in any way beneficial to fans who've cut cords.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Krispy Kareem posted:

I've got a situation that I need some peer review on.

My shut-in disabled mom finally got tired of paying Comcast and went all in on Sling. The problem is she still wants some local channels, including the PBS stations. I got her a flat leaf HD antennas and sure enough it gets ION, QVC, some Spanish language television, but nothing else. So now I'm looking at an attic antenna which I would point southeast to where all the good stuff is.

The problem is I don't know how to snake cable and she's going to give up fast the more complex this gets. The house has two levels and she never goes upstairs (disabled) so I'm thinking I wire it from the attic to one of the upstairs bedrooms with a coax connection. I don't know much about coax, but from what I recall there's a box somewhere all the individual RJ-6 leads terminate to become one network. Which means I should be able to isolate the coax in her sunroom and bedroom onto the same 'network' as the bedroom upstairs that I connect the antenna to. She gets her internet from a jack in a different room, so hopefully this won't mess with that.

There would be exposed cabling upstairs, but no one goes up there so I just need it to not be a hazard instead of 'pretty' or 'professional'.

Distance-wise we're probably looking at 30 to 40 feet from attic to upstairs outlet. Which means I'd probably need an amp. She's 27 to 30 miles from these towers and her home is right near the northbound interstate, but TVFool still says she'd need an outdoor roof antenna to get all the channels she wants. That's not going to happen without a professional, so I'm trying to keep this option's cost down to about $100 with coax, antenna, and amp to minimize the financial risk.

Also, I read that the TV tuner's in some small televisions aren't that good. Would an external digital TV tuner paired with the antenna possibly pull in extra channels?

Hey I didn't want your question to get lost.

So I set up an attic antenna, whatever was rated highest on Amazon at the time, and it performs great, with my old rear end vizio as the tuner. I've heard built in tuners can have issues, but you're not trying to get far off stations; I expect a better antenna will solve your problem there. Also just fyi since your mom is on sling...there is also a pbs app and all the recent content and much older content is free.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

angryrobots posted:

Hey I didn't want your question to get lost.

So I set up an attic antenna, whatever was rated highest on Amazon at the time, and it performs great, with my old rear end vizio as the tuner. I've heard built in tuners can have issues, but you're not trying to get far off stations; I expect a better antenna will solve your problem there. Also just fyi since your mom is on sling...there is also a pbs app and all the recent content and much older content is free.

Cool. Yeah, she's using the PBS app and even paid for the extra content, but it's still not as nice as having access to the actual channel.

I picked up the GE 70 mile attic antenna, a stand alone tuner, and lots of RJ-6 cabling and I'm going to try and install everything this weekend. Unfortunately it just occurred to me that there's a rather large hill in front of her house that might be impacting coverage. We will see once everything is installed.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Krispy Kareem posted:

Cool. Yeah, she's using the PBS app and even paid for the extra content, but it's still not as nice as having access to the actual channel.

I picked up the GE 70 mile attic antenna, a stand alone tuner, and lots of RJ-6 cabling and I'm going to try and install everything this weekend. Unfortunately it just occurred to me that there's a rather large hill in front of her house that might be impacting coverage. We will see once everything is installed.

Hello! Try https://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=90

Enter your mom's address and you should see what to expect.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Croatoan posted:

Hello! Try https://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=90

Enter your mom's address and you should see what to expect.

I tried that site and it was unfortunately drat accurate. The attic antenna installation got us 8 channels, none of which she wanted.

Then, standing outside and holding up the antenna I got her a couple more channels. Hitching it to a ladder got her 3 times more (the big 3 were pretty spotty though). So when TVfool says rooftop, they mean rooftop. If we stick it on the roof and amplify it we can probably get the stations she wants.

It looks like Dish will install an antenna for about $150. Add in the wiring and hopefully it won't cost more than $300. Happy Mother's Day I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I don't know which antenna you got but if you haven't gotten the amplifier I always recommend this one. It's rad. Winegard LNA-200 Boost Ultra Low Noise TV Antenna Amplifier

Edit, sorry dude I linked the smaller, internal one earlier. Go with the LNA-200 for your mom's set up.

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Apr 30, 2017