Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?

exploded mummy posted:

It used to be possible to hack it, but they patched it out.

So now in order to use it you need to hack it woth your sword.

Ah, I didn't realize that wasn't the intended way to do it.

Slashed him a whole bunch (like, a WHOLE bunch, jesus christ) and managed to take him down. I got 5 levels for beating him :stare:

e: I'm still only at 91% unit data, drat. Any other secret bosses/enemies (besides That One) that I'm missing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

BlackFrost posted:

Ah, I didn't realize that wasn't the intended way to do it.

Slashed him a whole bunch (like, a WHOLE bunch, jesus christ) and managed to take him down. I got 5 levels for beating him :stare:

e: I'm still only at 91% unit data, drat. Any other secret bosses/enemies (besides That One) that I'm missing?

There's about 140 character models, so you need to kill all but 7 variants

Take a look at a guide and figure out what you're missing.

There's some random ones that spawn where you wouldn't see them.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i just had a weird thing happen during my route B playthrough, has anyone else had this happen? minor route b story spoilers btw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqsBVqDn1eU

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
I don't know if any of you are interested in reading some nerd's sprawling thesis on Nier: Automata, but I wrote an essay about the game's major themes and how they interact with its medium:
SPOILERS INSIDE: https://planckstorytime.wordpress.com/2017/04/25/nier-automata-analysis/

Beefstew fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Apr 26, 2017

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Sorry, but your first section is already too boringly eye-roll inducing to make me want to read the rest.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
After four paragraphs I gave up. Get to the loving point already

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

KamikazePotato posted:

And as far as translations go: I'm a little soured on these kinds of discussions by now. Sometime in the past two years people on the internet decided that they could do translators' jobs better than they could and started nitpicking every line in every game. Not saying that's what people are doing here, but seriously some guy just made a website dedicated to point out Persona 5's translation issues (which do exist, but still) with the headline that Atlus had 'failed' their fanbase. I'm just kind of tired of the topic by now. People love the English translations/VA, and from what I've heard the Japanese VA is great as well, so you can't go wrong with this game.

There's only one text-based thing in Automata that is actually a big problem, and it doesn't have anything to do with translation:
I think they accidentally put the full document regarding the nature of Yorha in one of the Soul Tower chests. Based on what 9S says, it's only supposed to contain the secret about machine cores = android black boxes. Later the Red Girls give him the same document, and it's only then that 9S reacts to the part where YorHa is destined to fail. Think someone messed up a copy/paste somewhere along the line.

Don't ever venture into the Nier subreddit. Someone actually complained that 9S's inflections during the pregnancy conversation with that one bot completely changed the meaning of what he was saying and went against his personality, thus ruining the scene.

The general consensus there is that the Japanese VA plus English subtitles is Taro's "intended experience" for English speakers and anyone using the English VA is doing it completely wrong and ruining the game for themselves. Yeah.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Hmmm so what you're saying is we should kill all weebs

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

...! posted:

Don't ever venture into the Nier subreddit. Someone actually complained that 9S's inflections during the pregnancy conversation with that one bot completely changed the meaning of what he was saying and went against his personality, thus ruining the scene.

The general consensus there is that the Japanese VA plus English subtitles is Taro's "intended experience" for English speakers and anyone using the English VA is doing it completely wrong and ruining the game for themselves. Yeah.

Looked at it. Seeing some of that, but at a glance I saw a lot more praise for Kira Buckland and Kyle McCarley.

There's weebs being weebs, but they don't seem to have an overwhelming majority. Not like, say, the Fire Emblem reddit's reluctance to admit Tearring Saga is a festering sack of poo poo.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Hello NieR thread.

https://i.giphy.com/l4FGDTpSelVaeGwms.mp4

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

...! posted:

lol I think I know the thread you're talking about. Like chiasaur says, the subreddit is mostly positive about the actors, but when it comes to the actual translation/localization there's a whole lotta "a little learning is a dangerous thing" going on. 2B said X, which I learned in Japanese 201 means Y, but they translated it as Z, which makes her a totally different character... (Meanwhile, nobody would ever actually say Y in English, and Z is a perfectly cromulent translation for X in actual context; repeat ad nauseam)

There's only one really "why did they do that?" change in the localization that I noticed and that was making 9S' English lines in the Lost Child quest significantly harsher than they were in Japanese - but even then it's not, like, super egregious. It's just as believable that he would be exasperated and it has pretty much no impact on anything in the game as a whole.

...! posted:

It's funny because while I don't know the degree to which he was personally involved in the voice sessions, Yoko's English is definitely good enough to tell whether or not he's getting something he approves of, and it's not like they slipped the English voices into the game while he wasn't looking. People really want to absolve creators they love of anything they personally don't like.

Johnny Landmine fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Apr 26, 2017

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
Is there a way to pull out the vocals from the soundtrack, and then lay them over the chiptune tracks? Has someone started doing this already? When you hear Weight of the World: End of YoRHa Medley, it starts doing that at one point, and now I want to hear more.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Whoever did the localization, did a loving fantastic job with N:A. And the original Nier. And Drakengard 3. Drak 3 was actually downright excellent, so loving fight me :smug:

You aren't going to get everything across, and the worst you can do when localizing something is be an uncreative gently caress. And whoever worked on these games was most certainly not that.

But weebs be weebs, and MUH NIPOON PURITY. If you care so much, turn on Japanese for both the text and the audio or something.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Maxwell Adams posted:

Is there a way to pull out the vocals from the soundtrack, and then lay them over the chiptune tracks? Has someone started doing this already? When you hear Weight of the World: End of YoRHa Medley, it starts doing that at one point, and now I want to hear more.

There's a ripped version of the soundtrack floating around that has the vocals separate from all of the instrument tracks.

Whammiewazzle
Apr 29, 2016

sorry, wrong thread.

Whammiewazzle fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Apr 26, 2017

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.

Maxwell Adams posted:

Someone has been making medleys yes. It may not be to your liking but it's the closest thing to what you want.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqHcSHz8kBk

Belzifer on youtube also has the separated version rips of each track.

Sample:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppIvG6PBmCI

InfinityComplex fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Apr 26, 2017

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Just did the second route. No reason not to skip the credits right?

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

i mean i guess if you don't want to listen to the greatest credits music of the year

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

She really gets into it at the end, doesn't she

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Whammiewazzle posted:

I was asked for the translation i got of Yoko Taro's message in the booklet that comes with the soundtrack CD In TDI's LP thread. It was Hexadecimal to Japanese to English, so this is my best estimate.

This place is like Heaven. Warm, with no hate or sorrow. But will I get forgiveness to enter here. Of a doll, I don't have Original Sin. <Last known record from the hardware memory of 9S>

I could not for the life of me get a better translation of the last line with online translators and speak no Japanese, so apologies if it's nonsensical.

Pretty close. Assuming the Japanese shown in this tweet is accurate, it's something like, "It was absolute heaven - A warm, sunny place without hate or sorrow. But would I ever be allowed to enter? Dolls not born into sin..."

There's more elaboration on what the place - presumably the Ark - is, but it's been cut off at the start of the message. It could be one of many things - "The place I saw," "the place they built," "that place where you used to be able to get a decent slice of pizza but then those yuppies moved in and started putting kale on everything," etc. etc. Probably not that last one. But one thing to note here that comes across in the original but not in your translation is that wherever it is, 9S is not there.

The last line is tough to translate because it deliberately cuts off before elaborating on what fate 9S presumes awaits dolls without original sin, or whether he's identifying himself as one, though it does seem very likely.

Johnny Landmine fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Apr 26, 2017

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Beefstew posted:

I don't know if any of you are interested in reading some nerd's sprawling thesis on Nier: Automata, but I wrote an essay about the game's major themes and how they interact with its medium:
SPOILERS INSIDE: https://planckstorytime.wordpress.com/2017/04/25/nier-automata-analysis/

I read this entire thing and actually thought it was well done, good job. Also connected a bit of the dots I was missing personally (I just got why he was called Pod 42)

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I read this entire thing and actually thought it was well done, good job. Also connected a bit of the dots I was missing personally (I just got why he was called Pod 42)

Thank you very much. I apologize for how it meandered a bit in the beginning. I felt that some context on how I view the "video games as art" argument and background of Drakengard/Nier would be necessary to understand some of the future points, so I tried to track the overarching discourse. Unfortunately, yeah, Automata doesn't come to forefront until after the first quarter of it. Sorry if that was frustrating. I might upload a revised version later (or at least have a separate link to the Automata analysis or something).

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Well, C sure starts out with a bang. Very cool first hour or so. Played till you take control os A2 and called it a night. How much did that choice between the two characters actually matter?

Also, I can't help but wonder. Have I seen the whole map? I'm honestly getting a tired of trekking around over the same few areas. Especially the main city, goddamn I must have run around in there 50 times now.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

veni veni veni posted:

How much did that choice between the two characters actually matter?

You're going to do both. It just lets you do the early parts in your choice of order.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Someone explain what (ending C/D/E spoilers) what exactly the purpose of the androids even is because I'm lost. They were created to eventually destroy themselves because reasons? And the machines got too fancy for their own stupid brains? But they magicked a salt tower rocket cannon together to shoot the moon or something?

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

SpazmasterX posted:

Someone explain what (ending C/D/E spoilers) what exactly the purpose of the androids even is because I'm lost. They were created to eventually destroy themselves because reasons? And the machines got too fancy for their own stupid brains? But they magicked a salt tower rocket cannon together to shoot the moon or something?

YorHa the organistion was made to basically fight the machines and cover up the fact that humanity is dead. As a cover up the androids in charge will let YorHa be destroyed to keep the fact that humanity is actually dead a secret. Theyll just rebuild YorHa again and the cover of humanity being alive still will be complete since everyone in YorHa who knows the truth will be dead. Why they need to pretend that humanity is alive is that the regular androids are programmed to love humans above everything else, once the fact that humanity is dead started to creep in they were losing hope and questioning whats the point of fighting. Regular androids arent made to be destroyed, YorHa is keep in mind. In fact YorHas black cores are made from machine parts so the regular androids dont need to feel bad that all YorHa models will be killed eventually as a cover. As for whats the point of regular androids fighting still, well there isnt any, humanity is dead. The machines like this whole fighting for eternity plan since they cant excist without an enemy to fight so they are playing along with the whole YorHa plan.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

SpazmasterX posted:

The purpose of the androids is to defeat the alien invasion.

YoRHa, the androids that live on the space station, were created to provide motivation for the rest of the androids, on into the future. Some shadowy ruling council of androids decided that they needed to make up a story about humans surviving on the moon to keep morale up. To that end, they created YoRHa, who were the intermediary between these moon humans and the rest of the war effort.

The plan was to set up a fake server on the moon with the remains of all information about humanity on it, and have that transmit pre-written messages at a regular interval. The only person who would know the truth about the moon server would be the commander of YoRHa. Also, the Bunker, the space station, had a back door built in so that at a certain time the machines could easily hack in and kill everyone there. Even the commander didn't know about that part.

This completes the illusion of the moon humans because then there are no androids outside of the shadowy ruling council who know that the moon server is a lie. All the resistance androids back on earth still have something to fight for.

The machines, meanwhile, decided that they needed an enemy to fight in order to fulfill their purpose. So they allow the androids to stay around. They didn't have anything to do with the creation or YoRHa, only the destruction of it.

I'm still not 100% on why the machines did what they did, but they originally planned to blow up the moon server with the tower cannon, but then changed their mind to send off an ark with their network in it to some other planet where there is no war.

Alternatively, Jackass dropped an archive file into your inventory that explains everything. That is, if you didn't delete your save file.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

OWLS! posted:

Whoever did the localization, did a loving fantastic job with N:A. And the original Nier. And Drakengard 3. Drak 3 was actually downright excellent, so loving fight me :smug:

You aren't going to get everything across, and the worst you can do when localizing something is be an uncreative gently caress. And whoever worked on these games was most certainly not that.

But weebs be weebs, and MUH NIPOON PURITY. If you care so much, turn on Japanese for both the text and the audio or something.

I'm just reminded of those guys who insisted that Ted Woollsey is the worst translator ever and possibly Satan incarnate. You see, he didn't even get Kefka's name right; it's supposed to be Cefca! Etc. They then did their own super literal word for word translation of FF6 as a romhack. Their script made zero sense whatsoever but they insisted that that was how the game should have been released in the first place.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

Looked at it. Seeing some of that, but at a glance I saw a lot more praise for Kira Buckland and Kyle McCarley.

They both post there so there's not exactly going to be anything dunking on their performance.

Which coincidentally lead to Kyle ranting on twitter than reddit is way nicer about his work than 4chan, despite the fact that /v/ showered him with nothing but praise until that tweet.

OWLS! posted:

People who get this upset about people only liking the JP voices are just as bad as said JP voices only people.

But yeah 8-4 are consistently good in all of their projects I've played

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Apr 26, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Which coincidentally lead to Kyle ranting on twitter than reddit is way nicer about his work than 4chan, despite the fact that /v/ showered him with nothing but praise until that tweet.

Like hell they did. The tweet was made in response to a thread on /v/ made during their streams with posts calling him a human being and Kira fat by the handful.

edit: The bullying on 4chan and in the youtube archives for the streams are so bad at times that Kira has stopped showing up for them.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Apr 26, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

CJacobs posted:

Like hell they did. The tweet was made in response to a thread on /v/ made during their streams with posts calling him a human being and Kira fat by the handful.

eh, at release they loved his poo poo, i didn't know/see any of the stream threads so yeah, in that context, you're probably right.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

...! posted:

I'm just reminded of those guys who insisted that Ted Woollsey is the worst translator ever and possibly Satan incarnate. You see, he didn't even get Kefka's name right; it's supposed to be Cefca! Etc. They then did their own super literal word for word translation of FF6 as a romhack. Their script made zero sense whatsoever but they insisted that that was how the game should have been released in the first place.

The elder nerds whispered tales of the demon Macek, a terrible overlord who rent whole stories in twain and fashioned barely recognizable mockeries from their corpses. Hearing these stores, we scarce believed them to be true until we learned that dark powers conspired to hide from us that Crono and friends actually got black-out drunk in 65,000,000 BC; that what we'd long believed to be jelly donuts were, in fact, rice balls. And in kind, we too passed these tales along to the younger nerds, who at this point had heard so much of this poo poo that they decided no translation could possibly be accurate if it'd been made by anyone who could actually write worth a drat

For real though, I don't know anyone who pays their rent by translating who doesn't have a very positive opinion of 8-4.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Josuke Higashikata posted:

eh, at release they loved his poo poo, i didn't know/see any of the stream threads so yeah, in that context, you're probably right.

I'm not "probably" right. Look at the thread for yourself if you dare, it's an absolute clusterfuck. Even the slightest amount of anonymity turns people into complete shitheads. It boils my blood because they are the nicest people on the goddamn planet (and also are good VAs).

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Probably as in "I hadn't seen for myself so I can't speak with certainty". Not "I am doubting it happened."

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I know, I'm just saying that it really should be emphasized that having a username attached to your posts (i.e. pretty much anywhere but 4chan) makes you think for more than half a second about the insult you're about to sling at someone across the internet.

edit: For what it's worth, though, the general threads on the same site are much kinder and actually talk about the game instead of flinging poo poo at subs vs dubs or whathaveyou.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

That's still mostly positive. Man /pol/ really loving tanked that website, there's always people shitposting about white pride or how black people are bad or w/e now

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

There are still decent discussions to be had in pockets. Like, /toy/ (It's about Toys i.e. figs/statues) is pretty untainted by the rest.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Apr 26, 2017

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

quote:

>game has dual audio
>use the ENG dub

Do people actually do this? Why?

Sarcastic or not, this seems like a really weird thing to say in a discussion about English VAs streaming a game they were in.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's all high speed troll chess. Make a move and wait for (You)s.

It's as dumb as it sounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

CJacobs posted:

edit: The bullying on 4chan and in the youtube archives for the streams are so bad at times that Kira has stopped showing up for them.
this would be both incredibly unsurprising and insanely shameful and sad

although i hope it's mostly because Kira is busy as hell doing other anime voices

Grapplejack posted:

Man /pol/ really loving tanked that website
that's an incredibly funny thing to say about bottom-of-the-barrel 4chan of all things