Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

The discussion of total war and collateral-damage-/civilian-massacre-as-policy gets into some philosophical ground. We of course would discount them as atrocious on their face because we lean pretty heavily toward humanism (sophontism?), and of course we would argue that people should - and that this may actually be a conservative position (!) - but we also have no reason to expect that to play in Exile's setting (although it'd probably play pretty well with Art herself, unless I've read her completely wrong for the past three-four years or so).

The real sign that even the wisest members of an enlightened ancient precursor race can be some dense motherfuckers is that they (at least, Rentar's faction; I'm not prepared to write off the Olgai entire yet) have made it policy to destroy a world that their only feasible potential allies consider their promised land and/or birthright, soon after they've gathered enough information to determine that they may in fact not be eternal and/or invincible, if they cared to determine anything from the information.

I foresee some literal weapons-grade 'what effects did you expect from these causes' and 'what were you hoping to accomplish' in Rentar's future.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Apr 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
The main thing evidence wise is that the Vahnatai are the only ones with evidence in every plague, (or nearly every plague, depending on if you consider the Vahnatai style tiles in the slime charging room as evidence or not)

GodFish fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Apr 24, 2017

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

dont be mean to me posted:

I foresee some literal weapons-grade 'what effects did you expect from these causes' and 'what were you hoping to accomplish' in Rentar's future.

These are the Consequences of our Actions - this has been the theme of the entire game, and one that I had to put in the title of the LP because it was so important.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Incidentally, it would've been drat near trivial, mechanically at least, to include Vahnatai as a playable race. It's just an extra set of innate traits, stat mods, and PC art. At a guess, they'd get a bonus to throwing weapons and alchemy, and maybe have innate cold resistance?

Story-wise, of course, including a Vahnatai in the party would be problematic. :v:

Arkanumzilong
Sep 10, 2016

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Incidentally, it would've been drat near trivial, mechanically at least, to include Vahnatai as a playable race. It's just an extra set of innate traits, stat mods, and PC art. At a guess, they'd get a bonus to throwing weapons and alchemy, and maybe have innate cold resistance?

Story-wise, of course, including a Vahnatai in the party would be problematic. :v:

Problematic, yes
but it would open a lot of story possibilities.
I actually love when games (or any media capable of it really) include that sort of thing
though it's incredibly rare

TheObserver
Nov 7, 2012
It's important to keep in mind that to the Vahnatai, the underground is literally everything, and they've never known any different.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

TheObserver posted:

It's important to keep in mind that to the Vahnatai, the underground is literally everything, and they've never known any different.

To our knowledge, anyway. They've been around for a long time, and they appear to be pretty good at keeping records that last for similarly long times. Wasn't one of the Crystal Souls in Exile 2 thousands of years old?

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

thetruegentleman posted:

Also, why would they want you to escape the prison? Even if they want to use the party as anti-Empire propaganda after the escape, that's still a crazy stupid risk.
The assumption I've always made is that it is a fake-out and letting the wights kill an escaping prisoner is a quiet way to deal with someone the Gale leaders don't want around. And if the wights didn't stop a prisoner the fire barrier would.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Update 58 – A Fine Suit of Armor

“So, any suggestions as to where we start?”

“If I may?”

“Go ahead.”

“Ivanova, the sage of Golddale, has asked us to recover a book on teleportation from the good wizard to the north.”

“Yeah, but she offered the Identification spell – which we already have.”

“Which Matthias had.”

:(

“Are you sure? He's been good to us, and we shouldn't jeopardize that relationship.”

“Maybe we can talk it out?”

“That sounds like a good idea.”

“Hello, Magus Earnest?”

“Back again? I haven't seen you in a while.”

“Yes. Well, we came across a curious request. There is a certain sage in Gol...”
“Ivanova, yes. Has something of superiority complex. Wants one of my primers.”

“Well, she wanted us to steal it.”

“Did she now? Well, I know for a fact she's no where near as good as she thinks she is. Hrm. I have a proposal then, just to spite her.”

“What would that be?”

“There's a book on one of my shelves – Teleportation for Dummies. It's a load of hogwash, but she wouldn't know that until far to late. You steal it from me, and I punish you by teleporting you to a location relatively close to Golddale. I know a place. It's not the safest of spots, but I'm certain you can handle it given everything else you have been through.”

“That sounds very kind of you.”

“Honestly, it'll get her out of my hair for a while. She's been nothing but a nuisance in my side for a while, and you're good enough people to not stab me in the back. Are you up for it?”

“Might as well. Not the first con.”

“Excellent! Search my shelves, while I prepare one of my portals. The one to Shayder, I should think.”

“Thank you again.”

“That was nicely done.”

“He did all the work.”

“Found it!”

“He's right. This is bad. Useless even.”

“The Shayder portal, right?”

“Yep!”

“That was bad acting.”

“This looks familiar.”

“I know where we are!”

“We're all the way to the east! Over by the coast!”

“This is where he sent us? The nerve!”

“Well, we're still pretty close to Golddale. Let's go take care of that.”

“My Precious!”

With the Orb, we can take shortcuts across mountain ranges that would otherwise take longer to go around. I do this twice to get to this little ravine just south of Golddale.

“Hello. We finished your mission for you.”

“It's about time! Let me see.”

You present the book to her. She flips through it, and makes sure it's genuine and intact. When she's satisfied, she pulls out a spell book. She teaches you how to cast the spell Identify. It's a short, but intricate and demanding spell. When she's done, she says “That's all I need from you. Thank you.”

“Very well.”

“Mission accomplished.”

“Excellent! Let's see how long before she realizes I've fooled her! The Shayder portal is restored to normal.”

What happens in this little side quest is that you steal the book, and Earnest teleports you to the Drake lair in retribution. Then he promptly forgets about it, and everything goes back to normal the next time you visit him.

“Actually, given that Shayder is on the Isle of Bigail, there is something I want to look into.”

“What is that?”

“There were some books in the library at Gale that spoke of a man who died on the Isle, attempting to slay a great Drake.”

“I remember! He had awesome armor!”

“That too. If we're doing random things now, can we look into this?”

“DONE!”

“So, where to?”

“Kuper, then Kneece.”

“That's on the other side of the Isle.”

“Yes, it was.”

“And the ride over just as bad as last time.”

“It wasn't that bad!”

“And here it is.”

Those of you who remember the last time I visited this island, while punching the Roach Plague out, may recall I took this exact shot last time – except there was no dungeon here. But, because we rummaged through the Gale Library, we know where this is, and can now access it.

:science:

“This is well fortified.”

“And some sort of warping in effect to prevent us from reaching the insides.”

“We can go around, find some way in, I hope.”

“Argh! No way here either!”

“Hey, there's digging to the south.”

“What? Really?”

“See! Someone put a crack in the rock here.”

“Nice going Sass!”

:)

“Be careful, there is more to these pillars than what seems likely.”

“Like what?”

“They warp space back to impede passage.”

“REALLY?”

The first barrier we encounter in this dungeon is this, a teleporter maze where making the wrong move just moves you back a couple spaces. Think of it as a maze with invisible walls, and you'd be good.

“Let me take care of this.”

The next wrinkle is that the three paths forward are blocked by Lava. The unblocked path is on the left.

“My fur!”

And then Fire in the air, this entire corner of the dungeon is covered in Conflagration tiles. :sigh:

“This smells like a trap.”

Four Efreet's appear, one at each corner of this empty section of hallway. Make no mistake, this isn't an easy fight. They each can breathe for upwards of 60 damage, and are surrounded by more fire tiles to make physical attackers take harm in the process. I had to reload a couple times, especially as you take damage from the fire tiles first.

Like so.

“Oh hell, I'm trapped in here!”

Well, this was unexpected. By approaching the door, Bronwyn has been locked out of the fight. If I end combat, she'll teleport back to the rest of the party thankfully.

“Brr! This is cold!”

“And now that I've managed to wedge myself through, I think we should take a break.”

“Agreed.”

“And while we'll do that, I'll cast magic on these boots!” :science:

“Bronwyn gets those. She's got the heaviest gear.”

“Alright, I got point.”

“Huh. OK. We can't get in. They can't get out, but as long as we're in the anti-magic field, they can't harm us. Everyone, be careful!”

No, I have no idea either. Although this does prove that the Breath-type weapon is considered to be a physical archery attack that does magic damage as they try to breathe on the party as we pass by.

“A quick run to get into the barriers, and we won't have to deal with the drakes.”

“Lever!”

“Fire Lizards!”

“Ni'aurrl, Sass, take out some barriers, give us room to manoeuvre.”

“Don't let them all come to us!”

“Or I could drop an Anti-magic field on us, preventing them from harming us.”

“More behind those pillars!”

And more fire fields.

“Perhaps this switch?”

“That did it! We can go forward now!”

“Poor fellow. I wonder how you got here.”

“Oh come on! Will this never end?”

Not really. This whole dungeon is one long combat slog. At least Gorgon's aren't a threat.

“Charge!”

“How does this work?”

There are three lines of pillars here, and as you move right or left in front of them, the various rows will move back and forth one space each. Our goal is to open up a path to the top where we can advance.

Not like this.

Or that.

This will do.

“That is quite the drop.”

“That portal will take us outside.”

“Stairs!”

“Down we go.”

“This is a joy.”

“No welcoming committee. Let's go.”

“I feel like something should be here.”

“Oh no!”

There are a dozen Basilisks in the second chamber, here in the south-east. You've seen them before, and I had to reload about a half-dozen times as they mass-petrified everyone they could.

The best way through is to stick to the right side of the room, then west. This minimizes the number of the damned things that attack you.

Also, given we know that this is a Drake lair (it's in the name! The LAIR OF DRAKOS), I'm not adding these guys to the Random Basilisk Count.

“That was not fun!”

“I'm glad I have that Crystal Shield still.”

“Great, another case of taking the long way around.”

“Only this one is filled with the Undead.”

“You say that like it's a bad thing!”

“And more on the far side!”

“We're getting close to the end. I smell sulphur.”

“Uh oh.”

Entering the last chamber teleports the party into the middle of this pool of lava. I end the fight, cast Firewalk, then get ready to rumble.

“Hey, ugly!”

Reload!

Reload!

Drake Lords are nothing to sneeze at, and we're fighting two of them. This is not an easy battle, and I cheese it with liberal applications of Anti-magic fields on both of them to keep their damage output down.

Anti-Magic. Don't leave home without it. Unless you can cast Avatar on everyone in your party.

:black101:

“Huh. That was less easy that I was expecting.”

“Their loot is in the back here!”

“One last Flame walk...”

There is a lot of loot here, but the real treasure is on the body in the back.

“And you must be Pachtar.”

“His armor is intact!”

“And what armor it is!”

And with this, Bronwyn is nigh-invincible. The 'Protects from many things' duplicates the effect of the Ring of Resistance she's had on since forever. It will go onto someone else at this point. And the effectiveness of the armor itself is top-notch.

One end-game piece of equipment down. 4 to go.

“We have what I came for. Let's get out of here.”

“And away we go!”

“Well, that was entertaining. Where to next, I wonder?”

berryjon fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Apr 26, 2017

LuffyVeggies
Mar 11, 2016
Awesome, we're tackling the super-hard dungeons now. Interesting things to note about the Lair of Drakos that you didn't mention - it's another one of those "light drains super-fast" dungeons once you get to the basement, and the section with undead has ultra-fast enemy spawn. They're not powerful undead (except for maybe the Quickghasts, and even they might just be a nuisance by this point of the game), but it's enough to block you and slow you down.

Also, I never stole from Ernest before. Mostly because I didn't want to make him mad. But now I know that the "nasty" place he sends you to is just the firey pit, which isn't that bad.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Update 059 – A Circle and A Nice Bow

“Actually, I have a request. On this isle, there is the itinerant Cleric by the name of Judith.”

“I remember her!”

“Yes, so do I. What I am looking at is that she was apparently in possession of knowledge regarding the location of a superior crossbow. I don't believe mine is going to see much further use, so a replacement is in order.”

“You know, I'm alright with that. Any objections?”

“Nope.”

“Nor from I.”

“Forward march!”

“But first, let's get off this island, never to return.”

The first thing we need to do is to find Judith. She is either in Shayder or Hector here on the Isle of Bigail. The problem is finding her. And she can spend a day or so 'in transit', where she is not at either location. Long story short, I had to camp/rest until Day 102 for her to arrive in Shadyer as she is 'in transit' on day 101.

“Ah!”

“Do I know you...? Oh! You're the Exiles!”

“Yes. We talked briefly before.”

“Well, what brings your attention to me again? The plagues are receding, but there are still occasional Roaches that emerge from the central forests.”

“We are glad to hear that. No, we were told that you had some information regarding the location of a certain Artefact.”

“Ah! Well, I have it on good authority that the Fury Crossbow is in the Legendary Pit of the Wyrm, far to the Northeast. It's due east of a city called Bremerton.”

“Thank you!”

Amulet back to Fort Emergence, go North to Earnest's hut, and teleport to Lorelei. While there, I check on Hawke's Manse, but the next event hasn't fired yet, which annoys me.

“Bremerton is on the far side of the Lake from here.”

“We'll go... clockwise!”

There are large chunks of north-western Valorim I haven't touched yet. I'll be covering them as I go along. But for now, I'm not in 'explore' mode, but rather I'm just hitting up events that I've passed by on the way to these specific locations.

“Hey, we haven't been to these islands yet!”

“But there's something over here first!”

Just a plain old Silver Necklace. It's vendor trash at this point.

“Ah, my precious! What would I ever do without you?”

“Replace it with a red stone?”

:geno:

“Don't worry, my precious. Mommy will never forsake you!”

:doh:

“Perhaps we should focus on the enemy first?”

Matthias' spot in the combat formation is missed.

“That is also a lot of undead.”

“Nothing we haven't handled before.”

“I see something on the beach there!”

“Someone wanted this. I don't remember who, or where.”

“I'm sure someone will remember at some point.”

“I'll try!”

“Mia, from Malloc.”

“We'll get back there eventually, I'm sure.”

“Hold on, I hear those stones again.”

“We can take a detour.”

This is like, 10 tiles west of the road leading north from Lorelei. How did I miss this when I came through here the first time?

“Uh oh.”

“Yeah, I think this is going to come back to haunt me.”

“We should stop by the Library. Matthias would have wanted to see it. And so I want to now.”

“Agreed.”

“Hey. Um, can I get that access now?”

“Of course. I heard. You have my condolences. Please make sure to clean your fingers before handling the tomes. I have no idea how your skin would react to the parchment.”

“Thank you.”

“Nice place.”

All five bookshelves on the back wall have something interesting.

“Nothing will ever replace you, my precious!”

“Another reason not to bother with Sage Ivanova's request.”

“Already got, but nice for anyone who hasn't joined the Anama.”

“So, here we are at Bremerton. Time to go East.”

“You know, I did not not expect us to be as far north as Greendale.”

“There's nothing here, no valleys or crevices.”

“But I think ...”

“Yes! We can go around this forest by flying up the river!”

“This looks promising!”

“No other way here but to fly.”

“Not a good sign.”

“The map shows a large pit in the middle.”

“And construction. I wonder if there are people home?”

“Or not.”

“A very Imperial identification.”

“We should investigate.”

“Yeah, this is going to get ugly really quick.”

“It looks like that wall was dissolved by acid.”

“Slimes? This far north?”

“Curious, this rune is active.”

Until you step on the rune in front of the door, the Unlock spell won't work. Nor can you bash or pick its lock.

“Look around – something might be useful.”

“I found this book in the desk.”

Always check books.

“Well, that's not ominous at all.”

“We haven't punched cultists in the face in ... ever, I think?”

“I'm pretty sure, yeah.”

“Hey, there's something behind this wall!”

Utterly without merit, save for the Acid touch.

“We should investigate further. Even if the Fury Crossbow is not here, a possible threat like this should not go unresponded to.”

“Uh ... You know, I kinda blew up the research facility making Mutant Giants back in Exile a few years ago. Why are they here now, and since when were they loyal?”

Huge HP, Beatsticks of damage. They're simple, but slow going through.

“Hey! Stop throwing Rocks!”

You can actually see one of the rocks being thrown in this screenshot as it leave's the central Mutant Giant's hands.

“And more from the east.”

“Curious effect.”

Death Arrows, the Level 7 spell, casts Kill multiple times on different targets. But each casting is at half-strength. Against larger, multi-tile enemies, you can target them multiple times for the damage to add up. Death Arrows is 10SP, Kill is 8. Ni'aurrl can cast five distinct arrows at once at her current level. The efficiency is quite nice!

“This is not pleasant. I feel sickly just looking down there.”

“I can hear something moving...”

Oh yeah. Picked this up somewhere because it was a rock that weighed 25 pounds. The Power Geode acts as a Large Energy Potion, restoring 60SP per use. I used it here to refill Ni'aurrl's SP.

“More Mutant Giants.”

“I'm going to stay back here for a bit, they think I'm squishy.”

“That's because you're not wearing any armor!”

“What is on that pillar?”

“Yep, this is going to be a problem.”

“One we solve with Fire?”

“I hope so.”

“That looks like it was something being dug toward.”

“But we'll have to go around to get to it, it seems.”

“Oh. Wow. Such a threat.” :geno:

“Let me try something.”

“Of course they would all resist.”

“Nope, good steel and fire solve these problems so much faster and better.”

“Still not a pleasant pit.”

“Looks like we can get into that hidden chamber through here.”

“This must have been what they were searching for.”

“Maybe the Crossbow is in here?”

“That would be nice.”

“Ugh.”

“This place is not one for goodness. Cleansing it would be a boon.”

“I agree.”

“You know I'm the only one here who can cast the Ritual of Sanctification, right?”

“When was the last time you had to, anyway?”

“Troglodyte Temple?”

“And this Wyrm worries me.”

“Ugh! It's on me!”

“Don't worry, we can heal you!”

Acid isn't as dangerous now as it was at the start of the game. I still have four people with Priest spells to keep my HP up.

“And down we go.”

“Large, open. Swampy even. Just like home!”

It's also a Dark Dungeon that auto-kills your lights. Just do what I do, go into Combat mode, cast Major Blessing and work your way around the dungeon carefully.

You'll encounter Mung Slimes, naturally.

“Oh, not you guys again!”

And Dark Wyrms, which are much less of a threat now than when we first encountered them.

“This light will go out in a moment.”

“That's alright, I see more Slimes ahead and a Dark Wyrm.”

“I wonder if there is some sort of super-Wyrm around to cause the madness seen above?”

I like how everyone has their own little viewing bubble.

“Wait for me!”

“Careful, those pools look dangerous.”

“And there's light ahead!”

“Just more Dark Wyrms.”

Were just more Dark Wyrms.”

“There's that building there...

“Found the Tomb mentioned in the excavation report, but no way in.”

“There was that other stuff to the north.”

“This is horrible!”

“And not all of these bodies are ... fresh.”

“Evil place.”

“Very much so.”

“Here's the way through as shown on the map.”

Once again, Magic Map is a godsend. At least this game doesn't do what Exile 2 did with making certain Dungeons unmappable.

“Just stay careful of the marsh water.”

“What sort of tomb would this be, behind a place of sacrifice?”

“One whose doors don't open.”

“Now they do!”

“Sass, if you please?”

“Ah, Spectres in the tombs. At least we can bottle-neck them.”

“And pulling that level reveals this door!”

:)

“Oh, this is a trap.”

“Yeah, look at those floors!”

So, this is the gimmick here, and one I kinda like. To advance through this room, you have to step on the white tiles. Except every time you do, the path behind you closes off, and certain tiles ahead of you open up. Step on a Green tile?

Ni'aurrl takes half damage as she has the Ring of Resistance that Bronwyn no longer needs.

The path through, from the start, is as such: East, north, north, east, south, east, south, east, east, north, north, east then finally north. Once you've gotten the Fury Crossbow, to get out again, walk south, west, south, west, west, north, west, south, west then south, then out the door.

“Oh, it's beautiful!”

“It's amazing!”

Heck yeah, it is. Most powerful ranged weapon in the game. Now I just have to remember to actually USE IT.

“I'm good. Anything else before we leave?”

“Yeah. Mark this place down for a good old round of Quickfire when someone can be spared who can cast it.”

“Agreed.”

“NEXT!”

berryjon fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Apr 26, 2017

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
Surprised there wasn't some kind of psychic super worm. The book felt like it was building up one.
Is there anything concrete to suggest when that expedition was sent out? Or do you just kind of have to guess from the state of the area and the mutated giants?

Update 56

berryjon posted:

Peace is a different monster at war.

Don't me. Tell me about these

Wasn't sure if the first was intended that way or not, since it still works in its own way.

Update 58

berryjon posted:

Niarl, Sass, take out some barriers

Update 59

berryjon posted:

Niarl can cast five distinct arrows at once

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Zagglezig posted:

Surprised there wasn't some kind of psychic super worm. The book felt like it was building up one.
Is there anything concrete to suggest when that expedition was sent out? Or do you just kind of have to guess from the state of the area and the mutated giants?

They were looking for the crossbow. Speaking of, the hintbook claims that it provides magic resistance to its user. Now I wish I hadn't sold it. :downs:

Also, solo playthroughs are substantially harder when you don't allow yourself to buy Boots/Rings of Speed from the random shops. I don't even know where a Ring of Speed is in this game, and I'm pretty sure the only Boots are from the golem quest. I miss being able to attack 10 times per round (18 AP, 4 per attack, plus dual-wielding). :sigh:

berryjon
May 30, 2011

You know, of all five of the Artifact Quests, I think this one was the easiest, if only because the reward is the weakest of them. The Plate is average, I'm about to go for the second easiest, then take care of #2 then #1 in terms of difficulty in my book.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Is there some final countdown now that they know that we know that they know etc., or have you got time to be hunting artifacts?

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Glazius posted:

Is there some final countdown now that they know that we know that they know etc., or have you got time to be hunting artifacts?

There is only one real timer left in the game. The one after that doesn't really wreck anything. I'm actually running out the clock on the real one as it really only triggers as early as day 150. I'm well ahead of the in-game clock, if only because I know what I'm doing, and abusing teleportation/horses to no end.

FYI, the "Cannon" date for the end of Exile 3 is around Day 270. I'm nearly 5/6 the way done at just over a third of the time.

Doing the next quest now. Time to show the Mad Monks just who is the real crazy one here. I mean, who would expect a frontal assault?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Glazius posted:

It is extremely difficult to render the game unwinnable. Even if you haven't stopped the plagues, the worst that will happen is that the more generic towns get destroyed, and any important NPCs in them get relocated somewhere else. As I understand it, if you take forever, eventually you can end up with mostly only the capital cities and a few other notables (like General Baziron's fortress-town) still existing in their normal state, and everything else in ruins. But at this point in berryjon's game, the game is almost entirely in stasis.

The game's timer is quite lenient. As berryjon noted, the normal trigger for the Orb of Thralni being stolen is at 130 days in. It triggers early if you finish the giants/troglos so you don't have to wait to get flight for the golem quest. You can complete all four plagues at around the 50-day mark without hurrying excessively if you know where to go.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

berryjon posted:

You know, of all five of the Artifact Quests, I think this one was the easiest, if only because the reward is the weakest of them. The Plate is average, I'm about to go for the second easiest, then take care of #2 then #1 in terms of difficulty in my book.

I remember #2 being hard but I did it very early on so it might not be so bad for your team, but hahaha #1 is the worst.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Because this is the greatest Dungeon in the history of Exile, please allow me to show you two images that encapsulate the sheer brilliance of it:

Those who want to make suggestions for dialogue in this dungeon, please feel free to do so In Spoilers for those who want to keep the surprise intact.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

The IRS gave me a refund. I spent it on this SA account. What was I thinking?!

berryjon posted:

Because this is the greatest Dungeon in the history of Exile, please allow me to show you two images that encapsulate the sheer brilliance of it:

Those who want to make suggestions for dialogue in this dungeon, please feel free to do so In Spoilers for those who want to keep the surprise intact.

Oh, good. This is the one dungeon that I remember best from when I played Exile 3 as a kid, and I was afraid that: a) you'd already done it and b) it was somehow not as good as I remembered (since it hadn't noticed you going through it). But if you're about to do it, then my favorite piece of Exile nostalgia is still coming up.

Though even though this is the dungeon that I remember best, I still don't remember enough details to give you meaningful suggestions for dialogue, so I'll hold off on that.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Zagglezig posted:

I might be mis-remembering (or maybe it was changed in the remake), but I thought there were actually two types of Wyrms - the typical Dark wyrms we saw all the way back before and a second more powerful version that only shows up here.

Though neither type can use magic, which really limits the danger at this point - just layer a couple Bless on top of your already good armor and you're fairly set.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

MagusofStars posted:

I might be mis-remembering (or maybe it was changed in the remake), but I thought there were actually two types of Wyrms - the typical Dark wyrms we saw all the way back before and a second more powerful version that only shows up here.

There may have been one in the central sacrifice area of the second level, but with the forced darkness, and me knowing to hug the right wall to get through, I may have missed it entirely. I could go back and check.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I don't even remember seeing any Dark Wyrms previous to this. There's the Spiny Worm, but that's a completely different sprite. Indeed the only other place I can think of that has Dark Wyrms besides the Fury Crossbow quest is a place I'm certain you haven't been to yet.

LuffyVeggies
Mar 11, 2016

I don't even remember seeing any Dark Wyrms previous to this. There's the Spiny Worm, but that's a completely different sprite. Indeed the only other place I can think of that has Dark Wyrms besides the Fury Crossbow quest is a place I'm certain you haven't been to yet.

I would have thought so too, but I could swear I remember BerryJon encountering one earlier in the playthrough in a place I never saw one. But I forgot what that place was.

Also, suggestions for upcoming greatest dungeon of all time:
Revolving feet-leap
Hundred-striking-sheep-palms
My-face-to-your-fist-style

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
I think they found a couple in the giant's base

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

GodFish posted:

No, that's nagas (and efreeti in the forge area).

berryjon
May 30, 2011

GodFish posted:

I have. Somewhere. It was in an optional south-east corner of some dungeon that I had to fight through to get the Ring of Will that Ni'aurrl is wearing.

Now I just have to remember where.

edit: In the Caverns of the Giant Shamans it seems.

berryjon fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Apr 27, 2017

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Oh, huh. Forgot about that. I never could be bothered to explore all the lava flows in that dungeon, and I don't use the map cheat, so I guess I just assumed that it dead-ended and didn't investigate further.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
There are a few here and there in some dungeons and IIRC a couple of special encounters way the gently caress in the boonies, but they are very much a rare enemy.

A very good thing since paralysis lasts a long. loving. time.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Parts Kit posted:

A very good thing since paralysis lasts a long. loving. time.

Note that if you attack a paralyzed or sleeping enemy, you do massive bonus damage -- and the same of course is true for enemies attacking sleeping or paralyzed PCs. That's what makes Gorgons so dangerous: they spam sleep clouds everywhere, and if you're not immune to sleep (thanks to the trait or a Helm of Alertness), you're relying on your saving throw to protect you.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
I've been meaning to post this since we realized the Vahnatai are actually behind everything, but does the game actually have the 'complete nutjob' ending where we sit back, give the Vahnatai the big thumbs-up and wait for them to do their thing before claiming a world scoured clean of the Empire? (Ever since I realized Geneforge was perfectly willing to let you backstab absolutely everybody and claim REAL ULTIMATE POWER I've been wondering if that design tendency stretched as far back as Exile 3. Spoilered in the vain hope that POOL IS CLOSED will return to beat the 'Geneforge curse,' since if she doesn't that's like four Geneforge LPs I've seen die.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

vdate posted:

I've been meaning to post this since we realized the Vahnatai are actually behind everything, but does the game actually have the 'complete nutjob' ending where we sit back, give the Vahnatai the big thumbs-up and wait for them to do their thing before claiming a world scoured clean of the Empire?

So far as I'm aware, no. You could spend in-game years dicking around doing nothing notable, and all that would happen is every nonessential town/NPC would be destroyed/killed, with essential NPCs being moved to essential towns, if necessary.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Note that if you attack a paralyzed or sleeping enemy, you do massive bonus damage -- and the same of course is true for enemies attacking sleeping or paralyzed PCs. That's what makes Gorgons so dangerous: they spam sleep clouds everywhere, and if you're not immune to sleep (thanks to the trait or a Helm of Alertness), you're relying on your saving throw to protect you.
A nice side effect of this though is if you need to get your dedicated spellcasters to catch up in level with your fighters you can paralyze/sleep everything and even a squishy mage will crush them without any blessing. Since the character that deals the death blow gets the majority of the XP you can use this to fairly quickly get your casters to close the (probably 10+ level gap) with any mainline fighters midgame.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

berryjon posted:

I'm simply going to link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8VD4JXUozM and let you get the appropriate inspiration. There are so very many ways you could go with it, and I suspect you can write so much better than I can suggest. :v:

Edit: "Art to the head." *THUNK*

Epsilon Moonshade fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Apr 27, 2017

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

vdate posted:

I've been meaning to post this since we realized the Vahnatai are actually behind everything, but does the game actually have the 'complete nutjob' ending where we sit back, give the Vahnatai the big thumbs-up and wait for them to do their thing before claiming a world scoured clean of the Empire?
No. In fact, the game never actually becomes unwinnable, no matter how long you screw around. It becomes harder because virtually of the small towns get wiped off the map, but the major cities, small cities critical to the plagues (e.g., Tevrono), the artifact quest-givers, and the ferries all survive just fine. You do lock yourself out of some minor quests and associated rewards, but nothing that you can't get elsewhere. In fact, I'm not even sure if the game actually changes the ending at all based on your actions.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

MagusofStars posted:

In fact, I'm not even sure if the game actually changes the ending at all based on your actions.

Nope, only one ending.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

berryjon posted:

Nope, only one ending.

Isn't there a bit of a difference if you get the right 'weapon' from the research place?

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

berryjon posted:

Nope, only one ending.
Everything has only one ending with Quickfire.

FreakyM
May 7, 2013
Ah, I was wondering when you'd start the obscene Luck-pumping you mentioned at the very start of the thread. It's going to be a sight to behold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

GodFish posted:

Isn't there a bit of a difference if you get the right 'weapon' from the research place?

This, plus one other optional thing, merely make the endgame easier; they do not change the ending.

EDIT: could we get a rundown on the party's equipment? It'd be interesting to see what everyone's playing with.

• Locked thread