Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

marshmallow creep posted:

Talking about Black Adam reminded me of that time Shazam changes Adam's magic word to try and keep him from transforming, but wouldn't you know it:

I've seen that page before and what I've always wandered was:

1. Would Black Adam have transformed had he ordered a single chocolate egg cream.

2. Did he actually eat the chocolate egg cream after transforming. Because you know The Rock would have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Phylodox posted:

Because kids aren't ready to handle the responsibilities of being an adult. At least Billy can go back to being a kid whenever he's not superheroing.

He can, but that doesn't make him ready for superheroing either, really.

Cuz if we're posting comic stuff we like (even if I'm not a DC fan), I love this whole section, since it's on topic and all.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

marshmallow creep posted:

Talking about Black Adam reminded me of that time Shazam changes Adam's magic word to try and keep him from transforming, but wouldn't you know it:

I really hope we get Darkseid and Black Adam partaking in chocolate egg cremes on a couch.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Grendels Dad posted:

I've seen that page before and what I've always wandered was:

1. Would Black Adam have transformed had he ordered a single chocolate egg cream.

2. Did he actually eat the chocolate egg cream after transforming. Because you know The Rock would have.

Been a while since I read 52, but Billy became the new Shazam (old guy) in charge of powers after the other one died fighting the Wraith of God. Black Adam after his wife Isis and her brother got killed by some mad scientist and their creatures, he declared war on the county that they worked for and killed everyone there. Some stuff happened and he got beat up and got his phase to turn into Black Adam changed to something he would never would likely said, which is that panel above.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

parallelodad posted:

The main thing I can remember is he works really hard on this idea for a choose your own adventure comic book, then a higher ranking guy shits all over his idea and embarrasses him in front of the board in petty revenge for a perceived slight from earlier. I remember that being a really good scene basically slapping him in the face with the realization that being an adult doesn't mean you don't get picked on.

Watch that scene again

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

Phylodox posted:

Because kids aren't ready to handle the responsibilities of being an adult. At least Billy can go back to being a kid whenever he's not superheroing.

It's super irresponsible to do your chores when you should be defending the multiverse. Suck it up.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Detective No. 27 posted:

There is no downside, really. But Billy Batson is usually a kid, so being in a grown man's body makes it hard to do kid stuff.

Alan Moore has written at least twice what would happen if Billy Batson just stayed as Captain Marvel/Shazam all the time.

Spoilers: horrible, horrible things.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Pretty sure Black Adam is still a muscular, powerful grown man when non-shazammed, assuming he even bothers dismissing the power. He strikes me as the type who just stays powered at all times.

Presumably, his non-shazam form still ages. In the animated movie of Shazam vs. Superman, Black Adam reverts to his non-shazam form and instantly turns into decrepit old man who dies and turns to dust.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Young Freud posted:

Alan Moore has written at least twice what would happen if Billy Batson just stayed as Captain Marvel/Shazam all the time.

Spoilers: horrible, horrible things.

Presumably, his non-shazam form still ages. In the animated movie of Shazam vs. Superman, Black Adam reverts to his non-shazam form and instantly turns into decrepit old man who dies and turns to dust.

Miracleman #15 and ?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Beachcomber posted:

Miracleman #15 and ?

Kid Miracleman in general, it's just Miracleman #15 just blows everything out of the water.

The other is Twilight Of The Superheroes treatment. Billy Batson becomes a weird and twisted pervert because he's been living as Captain Marvel for so long that it interrupted and warped his sexual maturity.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Young Freud posted:

The other is Twilight Of The Superheroes treatment. Billy Batson becomes a weird and twisted pervert because he's been living as Captain Marvel for so long that it interrupted and warped his sexual maturity.

Hmm and you say Alan Moore wrote this?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Cuz if we're posting comic stuff we like (even if I'm not a DC fan), I love this whole section, since it's on topic and all.

That's amazing.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Grendels Dad posted:

Isn't Rock on the record that he hates candy?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Grendels Dad posted:

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Isn't Rock on the record that he hates candy?

A chocolate egg cream is milk chocolate with soda water.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Shazam should be The big budget PG superhero movie about a young boy turning into The Rock to fight an evil egyptian rock. It's a terrible sign that they feel like they need to tell Black Adam's story before Shazam's

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think they worked with the Rock and showed him various DC characters and let him pick which one he wanted to be.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AH_D8COMbhc

I just saw this... It is very very Russian.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Is... Is that good? I think it looks great.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

parallelodad posted:

I think they worked with the Rock and showed him various DC characters and let him pick which one he wanted to be.

He had a coin with Marvel/Namor on one side and DC/Black Adam on the other

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
He phoned Marvel and told them his offer is under a rock in the front yard and he will be fighting the DC guy for it.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Grendels Dad posted:

Is... Is that good? I think it looks great.

It's bad! It's half fun bad and half boring bad but maybe worth a watch?

There is a tease throughout the movie that the four hero characters need to "combine their powers" in order to be super powerful, and while I was anticipating them to do that d B Z combination dance (it doesn't happen), the final act comprises them basically holding each other and creating a hadoken big enough to destroy whole skyscrapers.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

The Saddest Rhino posted:

It's bad! It's half fun bad and half boring bad but maybe worth a watch?

There is a tease throughout the movie that the four hero characters need to "combine their powers" in order to be super powerful, and while I was anticipating them to do that d B Z combination dance (it doesn't happen), the final act comprises them basically holding each other and creating a hadoken big enough to destroy whole skyscrapers.

Truth to the spoilers. Also, it has a bear with a telepathically controlled Gatling gun.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Very specific question: Is there a name for that style of future tech always featured in Russian/Eastern European sci fi? With all the goggles and poo poo? I'm thinking of stuff like the soldiers in Guardians, or the S.T.A.L.K.E.R series?

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

This looks loving awesome. When and how can I watch it?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Snowman_McK posted:

Very specific question: Is there a name for that style of future tech always featured in Russian/Eastern European sci fi? With all the goggles and poo poo? I'm thinking of stuff like the soldiers in Guardians, or the S.T.A.L.K.E.R series?

Probably not. I would call it Sov-Tech or Sov-Punk (although I'm getting tired of -punk applications), but there's a lot of crossover when it comes to concept artists who born and/or work in Russia and Eastern Europe and get work in Western projects. The famous being Viktor Antonov, a Bulgarian artist, who is largely responsible for the look of Half-Life 2 and Dishonored games. Another one is Vitaly Bulgarov, who worked a lot of the Robocop remake and Transformers: Dark Of The Moon and recently the design of the spider tank in Paramount/Dreamworks' Ghost In The Shell adaptation.

Also, ugh, that dubbing is atrocious.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

FELD1 posted:

This looks loving awesome. When and how can I watch it?

Parts of it (much of it) is painfully awful and boring. Still, there are some serious :wtf: moments. I have a friend who runs an art house theater and had a sample screener. That's how I saw it.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

What I recall off watching Guardians:

the reason you don't see the villain clearly in most promotional posters and trailers is because he looks like an incredible dope but with a weird muscular body. He's great.

Every one of the four heroes get a few minutes to monologue their personal backstory to the military-industrial complex lady, whose role is apparently to 1. Listen to them moan and whine 2. Wear very attractive military gear and 3. Ride a motorbike and be really cool

The Guardians fail in every single mission they are sent to

The villain's plan is to break a satellite tower, attach it to skyscrapers with a poo poo load of wires hanging in mid air, and create a satellite tower so powerful it can control all the satellites in the world

One of the Guardians has the ability to cut all the wires attaching the said hanging satellite tower. He cuts a couple of wires and calls it a day, which does nothing to affect the tower's integrity

Another Guardian grabs a battery and gets electrocuted at no detriment to the villain's plans

The werebear 's super power is turning into a bear with a gatling gun on his back and it's loving awesome but only used in one scene. The bear also gets sucker punched!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Parts of it (much of it) is painfully awful and boring. Still, there are some serious :wtf: moments. I have a friend who runs an art house theater and had a sample screener. That's how I saw it.

This sounds like Nochnoi Dozor all over again. Admittedly, I haven't watched all of that so maybe I missed the part where it gets fun, but somehow the Russians need to work on the parts of their movies where werebears don't shoot at things.

The spoilers sound amazing though, still gonna see it when I can.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Guardians is pretty bad but never quite pushes into "So bad it's good" territory. It's also massively derivative which wouldn't have been a problem if it was fun but ehhhhh.

The prosthetics on the main villain give him a huge round head which make him look like a giant angry baby which explains why they're so cagey about showing him in the trailer. :v:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
The CGI Spider tanks are cool as hell. Khan's superspeed effects are cool as hell. Arsis's CGI bear form is sketchy as hell especially on the cables, you'll know it when you see it. The plot makes no loving sense. The villain does look like an angry baby with some of the worst latex work ever. The editing is confusing to put it charitably. The acting is uh, now about those sweet rear end spider tanks!

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Also, it falls into that action movie trap where the heroes are slaughtering the baddies, then suddenly lose.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Descendants 2 will premiere July 21 on five networks at the same time - Disney Channel, ABC, Disney XD, Freeform and Lifetime (all networks owned by Disney, cuz duh!)

quote:

In Descendants 2, the Villain Kids (AKA “VKs”) — Mal, Evie, Carlos and Jay — continue to try to find their place in idyllic Auradon. When the pressure to be royal becomes too much for Mal, she returns to her rotten roots on the Isle of the Lost where her archenemy Uma, the daughter of Ursula, has taken her spot as self-proclaimed queen of the run-down town. Uma, still resentful over not being selected by Ben to go to Auradon Prep with the other Villain Kids, stirs her pirate gang including Captain Hook’s son Harry and Gaston’s son Gil, to break the barrier between the Isle of the Lost and Auradon, and unleash all the villains imprisoned on the Isle, once and for all.

Dove Cameron, Cameron Boyce, Sofia Carson, Booboo Stewart and Mitchell Hope will reprise the roles of Mal, Carlos, Jay, Evie and King Ben, respectively. Starring as the new villains are China Anne McClain (A.N.T. Farm) as Uma, Thomas Doherty (The Lodge) as Harry, Dylan Playfair (Some Assembly Required) as Gil, son of Gaston and Anna Cathcart (Odd Squad) as Dizzy, daughter of Cinderella’s evil stepsister Drizella and granddaughter of wicked stepmother Lady Tremaine. Also reprising their roles in this sequel are: Brenna D’Amico as Jane, the daughter of Fairy Godmother; Melanie Paxson as Fairy Godmother; Dianne Doan as Lonnie, the daughter of Mulan; Jedidiah Goodacre as Chad, the son of Cinderella; Zachary Gibson as Doug, the son of Dopey; Keegan Connor Tracy as Belle and Dan Payne as Beast.

If you haven't seen the first one, it is ridiculous and cheesy in a way that most movies can never be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GCBI4oNCis

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I thought at first you were talking about the Alexander Payne film The Descendants and was very confused as to why there was a sequel.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Tars Tarkas posted:

Descendants 2 will premiere July 21 on five networks at the same time - Disney Channel, ABC, Disney XD, Freeform and Lifetime (all networks owned by Disney, cuz duh!)

If you haven't seen the first one, it is ridiculous and cheesy in a way that most movies can never be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GCBI4oNCis

Oh good I can't wait to watch this a million times

Curse my wife for giving me two daughters!!!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Jeff Goldblum is going to be in Jurassic World 2.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Life uh finds a way.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Regardless of all else, Jurassic World 2 will build a terrific house.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Neo Rasa posted:

Life uh finds a way.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Jurassic World 2 is apparently going to be directed by J. A. Bayona, who made The Orphanage, The Impossible, and A Monster Calls, none of which I have seen. The Impossible is supposed to be about a bad vacation, I think, so could be appropriate.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

Sir Kodiak posted:

Jurassic World 2 is apparently going to be directed by J. A. Bayona, who made The Orphanage, The Impossible, and A Monster Calls, none of which I have seen. The Impossible is supposed to be about a bad vacation, I think, so could be appropriate.

Can't wait to see a rich white family survive JW2 while hundreds of thousands of nameless browns bite the dust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Gorman Thomas posted:

Can't wait to see a rich white family survive JW2 while hundreds of thousands of nameless browns bite the dust.

So, Jurassic World if it had the guts to actually kill a park guest and with more diverse extras. Sounds like an improvement.

• Locked thread