Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

predicto posted:

That's too simple. The Warriors spent 25 years trying to win by outscoring people.

The real change was in the defense, and that started with signing Igoudala and trading for Bogut and bringing in Ron Adams, and later, in refusing to trade Klay Thompson for David Lee.

Nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

only an alpha can coach an alpha. makes u think

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Oh my god that Dion essay is so goddamn amazing.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Kobe Wade is a great writer and makes a good point

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Perhaps PG believes that him in LA, along with the franchise's history and freeing up some cap space will draw other marquee guys, whilst drawing somebody to willingly choose Indiana is, uh, difficult.

Also unrelated but regardless of what one thinks of Toronto the Lowry/DeRozan dynamic is a fun one. I'd hate to break it up. Might have to though.

LA deserves Demar for all the praise they lavished on mediocre ball hog Kobe

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Noctone posted:

Oh my god that Dion essay is so goddamn amazing.

Lebatard had Wright Thompson on to discuss his massive Riley profile and they kept on joking about how it was the second best Riley article written today.

Seriously, the Waiters one goes from funny to touching to informative each paragraph. What a guy.

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Remember when LeBron lost to the Mavs and studied tape of the series in the offseason, despite how much pain it caused him to watch his flawed play and critique himself, and then he came back a more complete player and won the championship? Will Westbrook ever take a hard look at himself and stop jacking up bullshit bricks in critical moments of playoff games?

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Cross posting!

Happy Supersonics Day everyone!!!!

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

big boi posted:

Remember when LeBron lost to the Mavs and studied tape of the series in the offseason, despite how much pain it caused him to watch his flawed play and critique himself, and then he came back a more complete player and won the championship? Will Westbrook ever take a hard look at himself and stop jacking up bullshit bricks in critical moments of playoff games?

I mean

Who else is gonna make anything in that team? One dude was shooting 12% for the year wtf

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

shirts and skins posted:

Cross posting!

The fact there are still salty sonics fans brings me joy

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Ramadu posted:

I mean

Who else is gonna make anything in that team? One dude was shooting 12% for the year wtf

They could at least try to run offense so someone can get an open shot. I know Russ doesn't do that kind of thing but when you get Harden switched on you and all you get is a dead-legged Russ hero 3, who cares?

I'm glad to see Russ and OKC go home. They have the most boring offense i've ever seen.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

shirts and skins posted:

Cross posting!

this is just sad

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
nay your hate should be eternal. let it burn

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

https://twitter.com/TheVertical/status/857055793669185538

GET THE gently caress IN, YOU GLORIOUS rear end in a top hat THAT I ACTUALLY DESPISE

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
If The Bulls win Game 5 Rondo will go down as my favorite bull of all time. Usurping Nate Robinson.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Rockets bitch. Go home Russ

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

shirts and skins posted:

Cross posting!

#TeamPetty

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Dexo posted:

If The Bulls win Game 5 Rondo will go down as my favorite bull of all time. Usurping Nate Robinson.

Don't say things you can't take back. Nate was puking in a trash can

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The playoffs feel a little better paced this year, cutting down a lot of the excessive rest days in the first round really has helped the flow.

dokmo posted:

"Disco Sucks!" was an explicitly homophobic and racist movement.

Edit: sorry, I thought this was well known, but I forgot I'm older than everybody in the world. Here's some context. Let us never discuss it again. https://www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2009/jun/18/disco-sucks

I had a class that covered this in college, it was really interesting.

Ramadu posted:

Why dont you guys get some carne asada burritos from the mexican stall on the side of the road before the game? those are the best foods ever and maybe you can get a sonoran hotdog!!!!

is this even a english

There's just good food in general surrounding Talking Stick, and honestly the food isn't that bad inside, actually the doughnut place inside is really good (although eating a gooey donut isn't always optimal).

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

I don't know if there was a ton he could have done to actually win, but I really really did not think Donovan coached a good series at all. There was the last game where he managed to spend all but one timeout with 10 minutes left, and game 4 where he let robinson's FT shooting really screw them. But beyond that, it seemed like he spent the entire series letting the Rockets dictate what was going to happen and reacting to it. He all but benched Kanter after game one, which yeah his pnr defense was a huge issue, but it also took their 2nd best offensive weapon off the court when the Rockets really cannot defend well down low. They put very little pressure on the Rockets to make adjustments in terms of lineup or strategy. Gibson kept roasting the Rockets in the post but OKC rarely went there. Pretty much all the games turned into a 3 point chucking and free throw contest and that's pretty much what Houston wants.

Maybe he didn't have many options, but it didn't seem like he really tried anything. Pretty unimpressed.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Kibner posted:

#TeamPetty

Femur posted:

nay your hate should be eternal. let it burn

Hell loving yeah. Gonna be doing this every year, as long as there's a team there. I'll never stop! Never ever.

Metapod posted:

The fact there are still salty sonics fans brings me joy

The fact that OKC will never win a championship brings me joy. Glad we both have our sources of happiness!

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Why is it Donavan's fault that Westbrook shot 20 3's in a 8 minute span without trying to do any action

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
spurs win!

this series has been FOR REAL

props to the grizz for being super cool

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I just realized Nene is younger than me

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Lockback posted:

Don't say things you can't take back. Nate was puking in a trash can

If Rondo wins a playoff game with literally one hand I have to give him the edge. Nate Rob Puking and clowning the nets is more impressive than Jordan's "flu" game but Rondo with one hand winning a game would have to top even that.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

cc: Fred Hoiberg

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

zoux posted:

cc: Fred Hoiberg

I love that Allen Iverson owned someone with his crossover and didn't need a ball to do it.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Never change Russ

https://twitter.com/ErikHorneOK/status/857084528711675904

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Was just about to post this. Owns.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Apr 26, 2017

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

https://twitter.com/SLAMonline/status/857083241655803904

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

talking poo poo about holding a guy to 47 points smh

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Jota posted:

talking poo poo about holding a guy to 47 points smh

I dunno holding a superstar to 47 points on 34 shots is pretty good. And that's assuming Beverly was the one on him when he scored all the points.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

G-Hawk posted:

I don't know if there was a ton he could have done to actually win, but I really really did not think Donovan coached a good series at all. There was the last game where he managed to spend all but one timeout with 10 minutes left, and game 4 where he let robinson's FT shooting really screw them. But beyond that, it seemed like he spent the entire series letting the Rockets dictate what was going to happen and reacting to it. He all but benched Kanter after game one, which yeah his pnr defense was a huge issue, but it also took their 2nd best offensive weapon off the court when the Rockets really cannot defend well down low. They put very little pressure on the Rockets to make adjustments in terms of lineup or strategy. Gibson kept roasting the Rockets in the post but OKC rarely went there. Pretty much all the games turned into a 3 point chucking and free throw contest and that's pretty much what Houston wants.

Maybe he didn't have many options, but it didn't seem like he really tried anything. Pretty unimpressed.

Lack of Taj was one of the bigger mysteries to me. I think he only played more than 25 minutes in game 3. Not only was he pretty effective when he was in, but Russ seemed to have some trust in him. I dunno if it was a conditioning thing or what.

Kanter really did not look great on offense anyway. He had a really, really tough time against Capela and Nene.

Lineup wise Billy threw basically everything against the wall but the reality is that OKC's roster was up and down not as good. Every single lineup he tried without Russ utterly hemorrhaged points. Almost everyone on the OKC roster got non-garbage time minutes except Nick Collinson and Josh Huestis, while Houston's rotation was literally just Eric Gordon, Lou Williams and Nene. It really can't be understated how garbage the non-Russ lineups were.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Dexo posted:

If Rondo wins a playoff game with literally one hand I have to give him the edge. Nate Rob Puking and clowning the nets is more impressive than Jordan's "flu" game but Rondo with one hand winning a game would have to top even that.

He's done it before, remember the Heat-Celtics series where he dislocated his arm and still won the game single handed, pun intended?

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
There's nothing cool or good about PBev, in fact he is dumb and bad

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

Dexo posted:

I dunno holding a superstar to 47 points on 34 shots is pretty good. And that's assuming Beverly was the one on him when he scored all the points.

It's a better points per shot than Westbrook averaged during the regular season and isn't something you'd be bragging about

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
According to ESPN stats, Beverly as the primary defender on Westbrook held him to like 7-27 shooting.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

leftist heap posted:

Lack of Taj was one of the bigger mysteries to me. I think he only played more than 25 minutes in game 3. Not only was he pretty effective when he was in, but Russ seemed to have some trust in him. I dunno if it was a conditioning thing or what.

Kanter really did not look great on offense anyway. He had a really, really tough time against Capela and Nene.

Lineup wise Billy threw basically everything against the wall but the reality is that OKC's roster was up and down not as good. Every single lineup he tried without Russ utterly hemorrhaged points. Almost everyone on the OKC roster got non-garbage time minutes except Nick Collinson and Josh Huestis, while Houston's rotation was literally just Eric Gordon, Lou Williams and Nene. It really can't be understated how garbage the non-Russ lineups were.

thats fair. I just really expected OKC to do a better job scoring with the bigs rotation they have and the fact that Houston plays small as hell usually. Taj posted up Ariza on one possession tonight and walked right through him, then never did again if I remember right. Nene and Capela have their moments but neither are particularly imposing inside.

I was worried about Houston inside before the series, the rebounding (other than game 1) was as bad as I expected, but Nene really played an incredible series. Nene went 28/33 from the field in the series :stare: (and I know at least 2 of those misses were throw it up shots with the shot clock expiring)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
Yeah okay you scored nearly 50 points with zero other players on your team capable of creating their own shot and one guy capable of maybe hitting a jumper but how efficient were you really?

It's like when Memphis chanted first team all defense for tony allen except pretend he was chanting it to himself

• Locked thread