Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Rogue 7 posted:

I'm in the middle of watching a Rush that's taken about 5 minutes as Joker slowly wears down a group of Rakshasas in the 3rd dungeon- they only deal physical damage and he has Shiki-Ouji equipped, so I just used it as a chance to get all his SP back.

This game is broken in amusing ways sometimes.
Atlus, please fix SP Adhesives to only fire once per combat. TIA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

darealkooky posted:

as far as dungeon music goes palace 4 is def the best
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtQfg5ktK6M
That is the second-best palace music. Because of this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVr4QzdwjHQ

Also that Dancing All Night pack is making it real hard for me to hold off on NG+. Makoto may be canon but in the alternate Afrocat Timeline Joker rolls with Haru

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Having the Shadows just be SMT demons this time was a great choice all around. It saves them from needing to make a bunch of separate Shadow models while also giving enemies more distinct appearances and identities. I also really enjoy their little voiced lines.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

darealkooky posted:

as far as dungeon music goes palace 4 is def the best
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtQfg5ktK6M

The melancholy of this song, especially during the bridge, makes it a classic when you take in the context of its dungeon. The Whims of Fate is a better song in some ways, but The Days When My Mother Was There evokes stronger emotions for me.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Hell yeah I'm glad other people give Palace 4 theme the proper respect it deserves. :hfive:

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Harrow posted:

I also really enjoy their little voiced lines.
COME AT ME CLOWN SHOES

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Moltrey posted:

COME AT ME CLOWN SHOES

While exploiting the Confusion trick on Mementos bosses I got pretty tired of the "whothehellamifoighten" line quick.

"Come at me clown shoes" will however always be good.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
i almost dropped my controller when i heard it and like, instantly had to text my friend about it in all caps

HEAR AND OBEY THE WORD OF THE LORD

from law aligned demons is also my favorite

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Tricky Dick Nixon posted:

While exploiting the Confusion trick on Mementos bosses I got pretty tired of the "whothehellamifoighten" line quick.

"Come at me clown shoes" will however always be good.

I just mute it when I'm doing Mementos money and listen to music or watch YouTube or something. That line definitely gets old pretty quickly

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
I enjoyed the Futaba romance just of Sojiro's reactions

EDIT: also Futaba's reaction when you confess to her.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
still not sure if i should do futaba or haru this playthrough hrmm hrmmmmmmmmmmmmm

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Moltrey posted:

i almost dropped my controller when i heard it and like, instantly had to text my friend about it in all caps

HEAR AND OBEY THE WORD OF THE LORD

from law aligned demons is also my favorite

Hear and Obey the Word of the Lord is easily my favourite. Not even Clown Shoes compare.

MotU posted:

still not sure if i should do futaba or haru this playthrough hrmm hrmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Flip a coin.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

MotU posted:

The one that's not unethical and gross

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT
don't date your sister you sicko

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Man, Haru has the best AOA finisher animation (for a party member at least)

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
both choices are net dad upgrades so

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
futaba is second-best girl but it's a little skeevy to date the girl who you had to teach to be normal

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT
Serious though Futaba makes a list of chores and then asks you to pat her on the head because she did them all. Like her mom used to do. Your relationship feels more parental than anything else.

Also see: post above this.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
So, how do you guys think the personality and story arc of each confidants relates to their arcana?

For P4G and P5, I think the following ones are obvious

Hierophant - Authority figure

Hanged Man - Someone who experienced tragedy in their past.

Hermit - Literal for both games

Fortune - Also literal for P5 and for P4, I think it's because Naoto is dealing with the weight of her family name.

What about the rest?

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Party Bug posted:

don't date your sister you sicko

:yeah:

quote:

:yeah:

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Metatron doesn't learn Fire of Sinai in this game and that's terrible.
I don't care if it did the exact same thing as Megidolaon, just give it the name!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

davidHalestorm posted:

What about the rest?

I posted a bunch about this last week I think, but some more:

Magician: Your first party member, close friend, has jealousy issues
High Priestess: Smart, motivated, struggles against but ultimately finds a place in carrying on family traditions
Tower: Learns that it's okay to fail sometimes
Moon: Learns to just get over themselves and stop leaning on others to solve their problems
Temperance: Struggles with balance in life, ultimately shown to be caring and good-hearted
Lovers: Always the most beautiful girl in school and is in some way a performer. Rise and Ann both need to reconcile their public face with who they are inside. Ann breaks the pattern of the Lovers character falling in love with the MC outside of a social link

Harrow fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Apr 26, 2017

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

davidHalestorm posted:

So, how do you guys think the personality and story arc of each confidants relates to their arcana?

I won't go into too many specifics off hand since this is a non-spoiler thread but overall I think the Tarot references are at their best in Persona 5.

I don't think Iwai's confidant story is necessarily based on tragedy and that's not necessarily what the Hanged Man represents. It more represents being paralyzed by the facts of the past, which in Iwai's case is his inability to get over the fact he "got out of the business" and admit to his son who he is.

Its easy to see it as literal because Chihaya is a fortune teller but the actual important part of her Confidant story is the idea that fate can be changed if you have the will to do it, which is often what the Wheel of Fortune indicates you should attempt to do.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Harrow posted:

Lovers: Always the most beautiful girl in school and is in some way a performer. Ann breaks the pattern of the Lovers character falling in love with the MC outside of a social link

Wait, what? When?

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
They're saying Ann breaks the pattern by NOT doing this.

All past Lovers; Lisa, Yukari, Rise, have had crushes on the MC outside their link. Ann does not.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Wait, what? When?

Yukari falls in love with the P3 MC and Rise has a huge crush on him. Ann breaks that pattern. (I might have phrased that poorly originally)

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Justice: Loves breakfast foods

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Justice: Loves breakfast foods
Justice : Cute

[x]

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Party Bug posted:

Serious though Futaba makes a list of chores and then asks you to pat her on the head because she did them all. Like her mom used to do. Your relationship feels more parental than anything else.

Also see: post above this.

tbf she also instantly realizes how different it is when you do it so I dunno how you're supposed to take it

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Justice: Party members with this arcana will never, ever be as good as Katsuya. :doink:

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

BaDandy posted:

Justice: Party members with this arcana will never, ever be as good as Katsuya. :doink:

good thing you specified party members

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
need more space for phantom thieves name so this go around i can be 2 Guys, a Girl and a Coffee Place

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
In later seasons they'll just shorten the name anyways.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

BaDandy posted:

Can the penal code be applied to demons?

Also, that picture lacks Chihaya - or, as my fraternity brothers called her when they watched me play P3, 'hot nerd girl'.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

LuiCypher posted:

Can the penal code be applied to demons?

Also, that picture lacks Chihaya - or, as my fraternity brothers called her when they watched me play P3, 'hot nerd girl'.

Chihiro*

Zhaan
Aug 7, 2012

Always like this.
Going through NG+, I think the 6th Palace is my favorite. The theme's fun, the gimmicks change up often enough for it not to feel awful -- even if it's all for chips, you're doing different activities for them -- and it doesn't feel like a slog if you know the route the second time around. Also, Shadow Sae (YMMV there, but I'm into it).

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
wish when Sae interrogated me about 'someone enthusiastic that was close to me' i coudl have just said 'Yuuki Mishima. That's his name'

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

MotU posted:

wish when Sae interrogated me about 'someone enthusiastic that was close to me' i coudl have just said 'Yuuki Mishima. That's his name'

By that point i'd completely stopped hanging out with Mishima so i'm assuming Joker just forgot who he was.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Harrow posted:

Yukari falls in love with the P3 MC and Rise has a huge crush on him. Ann breaks that pattern. (I might have phrased that poorly originally)

Though that is more because this game doesn't push any of the female characters towards your character.

Which is surprising

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The Moon confidant is really good because you get to constantly poo poo on Mishima.

All of the events where Mishima invites you to places are good for the same reason too.