Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Yo if you're in a situation where some mother fucker has a print out of your face and is following you around then you probably have bigger issues than cell phone security.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I just ordered a Pixel XL through Project Fi and it says it'll deliver tomorrow or Thursday.

I broke down and ordered it because their international support is amazing and you can keep the monthly price to $30 when not really in use and I'm going to be in India and Thailand for several weeks next month and I was not looking forward to dealing with India's insane prepaid sim process.

I think I may turn on call forwarding from my iphone and try using just the Pixel for a while.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Loopoo posted:

Is there any way for me to turn the iris scanner camera off? It's like when you accidentally open the front-facing camera and get a terrible view of your face at a not-so-photogenic angle, plus it's really goofy seeing my eyeballs pop up on the lock screen.
No, but if you go to Settings > Lock screen and security > Iris Scanner and turn on "Iris unlock when screen turns on" you can use the iris scanner without seeing your horrific face.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

vyst posted:

Yo if you're in a situation where some mother fucker has a print out of your face and is following you around then you probably have bigger issues than cell phone security.

It works on Facebook profile pics, etc. It's actually a bad thing and should not be glossed over.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Responsibility starts at the user not the device

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

vyst posted:

In the literature this is known as victim blaming.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

vyst posted:

What. Do you blame users when their device/OS has a security vulnerability?!

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
One other thing I noticed looking at my google orders:

June 2012 Galaxy Nexus: $349
March 2013 Nexus 4: $349
April 2017 Pixel XL: $869

Hmmmmmmmm

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Jealous Cow posted:

Hmmmmmmmm

The Pixel XL is a premium device at a premium price. The Nexus line was not this.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

CLAM DOWN posted:

What. Do you blame users when their device/OS has a security vulnerability?!

Apparently if it is a OnePlus device then yes.

Jealous Cow posted:

Hmmmmmmmm

I'm not sure what you're getting at here, the Pixel was their first commercialized phone, they had a giant advertisement budget, exclusivity rights with Verizon, among other things. It's touted as a flagship phone like the iPhone and Galaxy phones.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Jealous Cow posted:

Hmmmmmmmm

Also you're conveniently leaving out several nexuses which were higher price too

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

nimper posted:

The Pixel XL is a premium device at a premium price. The Nexus line was not this.

Is it that much of an improvement over where those Nexus were as compared to the competition at the time?

CLAM DOWN posted:

Also you're conveniently leaving out several nexuses which were higher price too

No, these are the ones I've bought. I'm not really an android user I've just tried them from time to time.

Note: I'm not shitposting or hating on android. Just trying to get engaged with a platform I haven't used in years.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Jealous Cow posted:

Hmmmmmmmm

It's almost like the Nexus line is generic OEM hardware sold at or below break-even for google without any branding or customizations so that developers have a consistent reference device on which to test their software builds and the Pixel is designed by Google to run software that's been made to make the most of the hardware, which itself is flagship spec, and sold at a retail profit.

Jealous Cow posted:

Is it that much of an improvement over where those Nexus were as compared to the competition at the time?

Yes, like both in real world actual people usage and in benchmarks. The camera on Nexus devices was never great, let alone even all that good. It was passable in the right lighting. The camera on the Pixel is by all accounts insanely good.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Apr 25, 2017

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

FAUXTON posted:

It's almost like the Nexus line is generic OEM hardware sold at or below break-even for google without any branding or customizations so that developers have a consistent reference device on which to test their software builds and the Pixel is designed by Google to run software that's been made to make the most of the hardware, which itself is flagship spec, and sold at a retail profit.

Yes, like both in real world actual people usage and in benchmarks. The camera on Nexus devices was never great, let alone even all that good. It was passable in the right lighting. The camera on the Pixel is by all accounts insanely good.

Awesome. I'm excited about getting forced to use this while traveling. I never stuck with my Nexuses more than a week.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

You should be excited, the Pixel Rules.

~*~PIXEL WARRIORS~*~

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

clamiam45 posted:

I get what you're saying but if it's scanning me and admits me, then that's a true positive. (I understand you're saying you fear the high recall is a sign of low precision.) Do you know if some reputable test group has made a study of the device? I'd definitely stop using it if Consumer Reports said to.

Yeah, I worded that poorly (on my phone, go figure). I don't know if some test group has studied it, but someone definitely should. Maybe I'll contact my old advisor and ask him about it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

SB35 posted:

Nooo.... I actually have ongoing chats in Hangouts and sometimes have to use SMS (ugh). I don't wanna switch back. I'm holding out until the last moment in hopes that Google will un-gently caress this situation (but my hopes are not high).

I'm sure they would've ripped it out already if they hadn't hung every hacky Fi solution on Hangouts like it was actually the future and not something that Google was about to forget.

It's not like separating out your Voice from Hangouts affects your Hangouts chats but you do lose your Voice SMS history. If you're using Voice for your number then sure, I'd keep using Hangouts because you know they're never going to get Fi to work "normally" and they certainly aren't going to rip apart Hangouts until they can replicate its functions (or close down Fi :v: ).

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

hooah posted:

Yeah, I worded that poorly (on my phone, go figure). I don't know if some test group has studied it, but someone definitely should. Maybe I'll contact my old advisor and ask him about it.

Seems like it would be pretty simple to test just by having somebody else try to unlock the phone.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Jealous Cow posted:

Awesome. I'm excited about getting forced to use this while traveling. I never stuck with my Nexuses more than a week.

To be honest Nexuses were always test beds made to be as close to generic as possible so that developers got more right than wrong when making software for public consumption. If they tried pushing the envelope too far it wouldn't be as good a "baseline" as it was meant to be.

The Pixel has no such constraints and is basically Google jumping into the retail flagship consumer market (as opposed to the Nexus brand's enthusiast market) and comedically being at least an even match for the S8, a phone six months newer.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

An odd and annoying thing happened - my Mate 9, which was sold by Amazon LLC and not a 3rd party seller, arrived shrinkwrapped and sealed with warranty stickers but had a China Mobile Samsung Galaxy J7 inside :psyduck:

Already started the return process but after reading the reviews this is not uncommon and it seems like there's someone with a nice little scam going at the Huawei factory. Guess I'll wait for the Pixel 2 or a next gen camera-centric midranger like the Honor 8 Pro or the Alcatel Flash to come to the US.

Syrinxx fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Apr 26, 2017

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I don't think anyone posted this here:

Samsung's solution is to replace all obviously defective and miscalibrated phones and apologize to inconvenienced consumers.

LOL NO

Their solution is to continue shipping miscalibrated phones due to poor yield on the screens and add color calibration settings in a future update that maybe the carriers will choose to send out one day so that the users can calibrate their devices themselves like the idiots they are.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

There's that Samsung quality we've all come to expect!

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I just must have lucked out and got one without tint issues

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

That's a Samsung all right, and boy is it samsunging the hell out of the buyers.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
When the Oculus Rift came out, their OLED panels also suffered from red tinting, but they managed to fix it with software updates. I bet the panels came from Samsung.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

My Pixel XL won't charge again for anyone keeping score. It's obvious at this point I just need to get a replacement for my replacement.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
I bought a Moto Z Play two weeks ago because i got it cheap and i needed a phone RIGHT NOW because my normal phone suddenly broke down and i was going on vacation.
The battery life on this thing is just amazing.
Three Days with light use ist no problem.
8-10 hours of SOT is standard with this thing.
Its really nice to just not give a gently caress about your battery because theres always enough battery left.
It also charges up pretty drat fast.

Shai-Hulud fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Apr 26, 2017

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Shai-Hulud posted:

I bought a Moto Z Play two weeks ago because i got it cheap and i needed a phone RIGHT NOW because my normal phone suddenly broke down and i was going on vacation.
The battery life on this thing is just amazing.
Three Days with light use ist no problem.
8-10 hours of SOT is standard with this thing.
Its really nice to just not give a gently caress about your battery because theres always enough battery left.
It also charges up pretty drat fast.

You're not the only one to say this.
I've read this in a lot of places.
You don't need a new line for every sentence.
It's a great phone if you can get it for a reasonable price.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

LastInLine posted:

You're not the only one to say this.
I've read this in a lot of places.
You don't need a new line for every sentence.
It's a great phone if you can get it for a reasonable price.

I just was surprised at how much better battery life is compared to any other phone i had. I got for less than a G5 Plus costs and the internals (at least here in europe) are the same.
Sorry for the weird formatting. I think i'm used to short lines cause the email software at work does super early line breaks...

Colt Cannon
Aug 11, 2000

The gently caress is with that red tint?

I just got a Pixel XL, coming from an iPhone 6s Plus, and I am really loving it. I had a Note 7, but got a little jumpy at the thought of burning my dick off, so went to Apple. Really glad to be back with Android. I just wish I could have my Messenger icon show unread messages. I know I can by using a different Launcher(like Nova), but I really like the way that the stock Pixel looks. Anyway to do it, without changing everything up?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

LastInLine posted:

I don't think anyone posted this here:

Samsung's solution is to replace all obviously defective and miscalibrated phones and apologize to inconvenienced consumers.

LOL NO

Their solution is to continue shipping miscalibrated phones due to poor yield on the screens and add color calibration settings in a future update that maybe the carriers will choose to send out one day so that the users can calibrate their devices themselves like the idiots they are.

*Nexus 5x boot loops*

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Colt Cannon posted:

The gently caress is with that red tint?

I just got a Pixel XL, coming from an iPhone 6s Plus, and I am really loving it. I had a Note 7, but got a little jumpy at the thought of burning my dick off, so went to Apple. Really glad to be back with Android. I just wish I could have my Messenger icon show unread messages. I know I can by using a different Launcher(like Nova), but I really like the way that the stock Pixel looks. Anyway to do it, without changing everything up?

Yes, once Android O comes.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

*Nexus 5x boot loops*

One is a problem that didn't present for a year and is probably due to bad components that a third party sourced. The other is something that would have been caught with a cursory QA examination. Another thing that would have been caught with even the slightest attention to QA: a battery nestled into too small an opening leading to explosion.

But if they'd have done any QA, yields would decrease and why would you ever do that? (If you're Samsung, never, because you have no good reputation to risk.)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nalin posted:

When the Oculus Rift came out, their OLED panels also suffered from red tinting, but they managed to fix it with software updates. I bet the panels came from Samsung.
They are. This is common knowledge. GearVR was codeveloped with Oculus.

But really who cares about some bad tinting or whatever did you see the fab process they made them on?

Colt Cannon
Aug 11, 2000

LastInLine posted:

O, when will that be? Next year?

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Colt Cannon posted:

Probably Fall when the pixel 2 is out

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Colt Cannon posted:

They don't have set release times anymore, but the first public beta wasn't long ago so figure on a couple more of those before it rolls out. It should be noted that apps will need to be updated to use the API first and given that the beta just came out, you've got a wait in front of you.

Here's some details.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

LastInLine posted:

About time, only 7 years late.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

clamiam45 posted:

I get what you're saying but if it's scanning me and admits me, then that's a true positive. (I understand you're saying you fear the high recall is a sign of low precision.)

The way it scans your irises, down to the wavelength of light they used on the IR camera is pretty interesting. It's really fast/accurate and it's been a quality of life improvement that wasn't necessary but really nice once you're used to it. A lot of the times I'll have work gloves on at work that still register on a touchscreen but would require pulling one glove off for the fingerprint scanner..just a slight annoyance that multiples over the course of a 12+ hour day on set. Being able to just look at the phone and it unlocks instantly is incredibly slick. Hopefully, it catches on in other phones.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Desk Lamp posted:

About time, only 7 years late.

I've never seen the point but I guess some people have a use. My guess is Google's always looked it like I do, either you keep your poo poo empty and only need to act on incoming notifications or it's so overloaded that the number is useless. Either way the badge is visual clutter at best and at worst so easily ignored that nothing ever gets accomplished.

Given the state of some users' notification bars I'll concede that relying on the user to manage the state of their affairs is a losing battle.

A much worse concession to the commons is theme support which is only a worthwhile endeavor if you're bad at design or your users lack taste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

LastInLine posted:

I've never seen the point but I guess some people have a use. My guess is Google's always looked it like I do, either you keep your poo poo empty and only need to act on incoming notifications or it's so overloaded that the number is useless. Either way the badge is visual clutter at best and at worst so easily ignored that nothing ever gets accomplished.

Given the state of some users' notification bars I'll concede that relying on the user to manage the state of their affairs is a losing battle.

A much worse concession to the commons is theme support which is only a worthwhile endeavor if you're bad at design or your users lack taste.

Even if your UI had the best design in the world, users still love making their phones their own. Samsung's built in theme support will be seen by the average user as an advantage, and if Google is serious about selling Pixels, it has to close every gap, whether it's real or perceived.