Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Is the GOG version of Trails in the Sky FC particularly crashy? A friend just bought it in their sale (after pestering them to play it for months) and are having a ton of issues with the game crashing on start up and during play. He's tried to change resolution and a bunch of other things to no avail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Sankis posted:

Is the GOG version of Trails in the Sky FC particularly crashy? A friend just bought it in their sale (after pestering them to play it for months) and are having a ton of issues with the game crashing on start up and during play. He's tried to change resolution and a bunch of other things to no avail.

try contacting xseed about it on twitter if you can't find any info, i think they're taking bug reports for issues with the pc trails releases on there right now

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Sankis posted:

I swear I remember issues like that being fixed by deleting the config files and retrying. There was a specific process noted for it.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Does he have an Asus Xonar soundcard? I have one and it caused conflicts with Trails (as well as Ys games) until I turned off the card's driver and enabled the OS's default soundcard drivers instead.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
So I just finished Chapter 2 of Cold Steel 2. Are all these stronger older people just with me until the end of the game or are they temp members that leave at some point? Feels weird having an Ouroboros enforcer just up and join, especially this one.

Saralene
Feb 17, 2011

Developer, Gamer, and
apparently, Vtuber

The question of life is not,
"Are you a catgirl?"
but rather, it is in fact,
"Are you a catgirl yet?"
If he's using Intel graphics, or an Optimus-based laptop (which means the game will use the Intel graphics anyway, because Optimus doesn't support DX8 at driver level anymore), he needs to turn off the game's Hardware Vertex Shading. It's really unstable on Intel for some reason. Otherwise the games should usually be pretty darn stable these days.

Saralene fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Apr 26, 2017

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Last Celebration posted:

So I just finished Chapter 2 of Cold Steel 2. Are all these stronger older people just with me until the end of the game or are they temp members that leave at some point? Feels weird having an Ouroboros enforcer just up and join, especially this one.

They act as crutches until you've got the entire gang back together.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Last Celebration posted:

Yeah, temp though you should still try to boost their bond levels. Though there will be a chance to use them again at some point. In addition, the one you hang out with the most (I can't recall if it requires a bond level of 3 or 4) will give you a pretty good item. Sharon's is probably the best/easiest to shoot for your first time.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Nate RFB posted:

In addition, the one you hang out with the most (I can't recall if it requires a bond level of 3 or 4) will give you a pretty good item.

It's 3.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

Yeah, temp though you should still try to boost their bond levels. Though there will be a chance to use them again at some point. In addition, the one you hang out with the most (I can't recall if it requires a bond level of 3 or 4) will give you a pretty good item. Sharon's is probably the best/easiest to shoot for your first time.

Oh, that makes more sense. Was probably gonna go for troll maid bond events anyway over the other two, thanks.

Also, that whole "you haven't even seen my final form!" thing I've heard so much about is starting to rear it's ugly head, although it's probably better than a band of teenagers being able to stand on the same level as their teachers, after said teachers killed a bunch of tanks.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/Hatsuu/status/856939863047720960

Give her your best ones

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!

Nate RFB posted:

Sharon's is probably the best/easiest to shoot for your first time.

The hardest, actually; she's in your party for the shortest time by far. If you want her item you need to make a point of not linking much with the other two (and there's a good chunk when Toval is the only one available).

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

You assume I'd want to link with Toval

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

It's easy to keep the chaperones' combat links in step. They all get two bonding events in Act I, and you can take each of them on one mission. Then you just choose whichever one you want to loot for the event after Class VII is all back together.

Terper posted:

You assume I'd want to link with Toval

Why wouldn't you? :confused:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I don't mind Toval but he's like the most https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ussCHoQttyQ character in the series for me

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

epenthesis posted:

The hardest, actually; she's in your party for the shortest time by far. If you want her item you need to make a point of not linking much with the other two (and there's a good chunk when Toval is the only one available).
I seem to remember that she starts at a higher level than the rest, and you are forced into a bonding scene with her (or it's a scene you need if you want to fill out the notebook, I forget). So as long as you use her a little bit she'll hit the requirement easily.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
You could also use the bonus link points event to give the one you want a boost just in case.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Toval owns they've been foreshadowing him since the very first trails in the sky game and even gave him his own manga and then he shows up and hes just a goobus who's only good at his job because he's literally the only bracer in Erebonia still working.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Wasn't Toval's gift the worse of the three because all it did was speed up artes casting, when artes were buffed to be super fast in CS2?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

They're still not that fast on their own so Toval's gift is great, although you can probably get by on Cast quartz, Zero-Arts, and Overdrive.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Tae posted:

Wasn't Toval's gift the worse of the three because all it did was speed up artes casting, when artes were buffed to be super fast in CS2?

It's better than Claire's tiny crit boost.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Tae posted:

I think Toval's is second, Claire's third. It gives some bonuses that aren't exactly great, and not even that much better than stuff that can be bought in shops.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I hope Brittany is working in a different department than this guy: http://kotaku.com/localizer-asks-to-be-removed-from-games-credits-after-d-1794678587

quote:

Yesterday, a localizer for the publisher XSEED took a dramatic stance on what he saw as potential censorship, asking his company to remove his name from the credits of the upcoming JRPG Akiba’s Beat after the developers removed a controversial phrase involving the KKK from the game.

XSEED (sans Lipschultz) e-mailed Acquire asking what originally inspired the sign. Ken Berry, XSEED’s executive vice president, helped explain what the letters meant in the U.S. “Acquire immediately responded that they had no idea the sign could be taken that way in English,” Berry told me in an e-mail. Two weeks later, Acquire removed the phrase from Akiba’s Beat, with no further conversation or discussion, replacing it with “ACQ witches.”

A year ago, Lipschultz protested when ages were removed from girls’ profiles in Senran Kagura Burst, a game Kotaku’s Brian Ashcraft reports was made because the developer wanted to put boobs in a 3DS game. Lipschultz almost quit.

Lipschultz knows that the removal of “KKK witches” from Akiba’s Beat is “insignificant,” and truly, one might wonder whether this is really the place to take such a stand. But, he says, his dramatic gesture was inspired by the well-trod Evelyn Beatrice Hall quote, “I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.”

“When I first requested to have my name removed from the credits, I actually didn’t know we’d never specifically asked Acquire to change this – I assumed we had,” said Lipschultz. “If I’d known that then, I might not have ever suggested removing my name from the credits. Then again, I still might’ve! And either way, because this is such a gray area, I don’t entirely regret my request. If nothing else, it’s bringing censorship back into public discussion, and I think that’s important, since I feel it’s a problem we – as an industry – really need to talk about. In my own backwards, awkward way, I’m hoping I’ve opened the topic wide enough that maybe some good will come of this in the future.”

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the topic is open enough and in fact could do with some slight closing

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
tom is a dumb and i'm glad other people involved with the akiba's beat tl are less dumb

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm kind of regretting playing SC on easy now, while I did want to get through it as quickly as possible it's making some of the bigger encounters have less impact as I effortlessly smash through them. On the other hand the combat is easily my least favourite thing about it anyway.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

who cares he doesn't even work on these games

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

who cares he doesn't even work on these games
jokes on you, he edited THREE lines in fc!!

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Tae posted:

I hope Brittany is working in a different department than this guy: http://kotaku.com/localizer-asks-to-be-removed-from-games-credits-after-d-1794678587

In point of fact, Tom apparently vehemently dislikes this series for whatever reason, so probably.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
Huh I was under the impression he was involved in the project when FC first came out in English, and even pretty critical to trails making it over in the first place. Did something change or was I just hilariously wrong?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
tom was critical to ys early on, but i've never heard anything about him being involved with trails

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

All I know about Tom is he's the reason Nightwolve went crazy. So he can't be all bad because up until xseed lost Ys that was a consistent source of entertainment.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Supremezero posted:

In point of fact, Tom apparently vehemently dislikes this series for whatever reason, so probably.

I swear I remember hearing that he was still fairly active in the public community at the time of SC's release, and I think he's still pretty active on the XSeed Trails forums.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
I don't think Tom dislikes the Kiseki series. He's just not a fan of them, preferring the old Gagharv trilogy and having stated he's hoping XSeed will pick up the old PC versions one day and give them a quality localization the PSP versions never got.

I don't believe Nightwolve went bonkers because of Tom. He already cracked when he was trying to make money off of his fan translation patch and people "pirated" it.

Anyway, the whole story on Kotaku seems to be a whole lot of ado about nothing. I get that Tom's really frantic about this "censorship" thing, but this wasn't a case of the developer wanting to insert a controversial joke in there. It was the developer putting in a pun that, when carried over literally, would receive a political load it was never supposed to have in the first place. If the developer never meant to put a loaded reference in there in the first place and changed it as soon as they were made aware it translated poorly, then no artistic value is lost. Tom himself has frequently said that XSeed localizes stuff, not just translates it and that that involves properly carrying over the meaning rather than just the words. In this case, the meaning of the developer was clear and keeping the KKK line in would have been the a violation of the original intent instead.

Tom was being a doofus in this case, seeing a hill and immediately choosing to die on it before making sure he got all the circumstances right. His words in the quoted part kinda seemed like damage control after he realized the situation left him with egg on his face and XSeed with an embarrassing moment. Hopefully he'll pick his battles a little more carefully next time.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Zaggitz posted:

All I know about Tom is he's the reason Nightwolve went crazy. So he can't be all bad because up until xseed lost Ys that was a consistent source of entertainment.

wasn't he, like, a legit creeper towards xseed employees

that seems less like a source of entertainment and more something to be glad to be rid of

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm kind of regretting playing SC on easy now, while I did want to get through it as quickly as possible it's making some of the bigger encounters have less impact as I effortlessly smash through them. On the other hand the combat is easily my least favourite thing about it anyway.
Using cheat engine to speed up the battles would've probably been a better route, all told.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The Colonel posted:

wasn't he, like, a legit creeper towards xseed employees

that seems less like a source of entertainment and more something to be glad to be rid of

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

Really Pants posted:

They're still not that fast on their own so Toval's gift is great, although you can probably get by on Cast quartz, Zero-Arts, and Overdrive.

I kind of think it's the best of the three personally, but I really liked stacking whoever I was using for spell-casting at the time to rapidly dump arts on the enemy. I even sold all my sepith when the game had the Abyss Shadow available early on to help enable it even more.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nate RFB posted:

Using cheat engine to speed up the battles would've probably been a better route, all told.

Not on PSP :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Well that's your own fault!