Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
My buddies are telling me that all the bullshit to the side, the F-35 is a goddamn impressive fighter.

It's gonna be beautiful when we can darken the skies with these beauties. Their stealth is better than even the F-22 supposedly.. which I buy since two engines are harder to mask than one. And it's got a ton of thrust out of that engine. The avionics package on the thing is just bonkers- and they haven't even come close to dialing it all in yet. It's already game changing good- with a goddamn lot of room to grow.

They're apparently just as big of a game changer as the F-22 was a few years back. And that's a big bar to jump because Raptors were essentially god mode.

I wanna know more about F-35 vs F-22 like you wouldn't believe but it's all still apparently highly classified. I get snippets and anecdotes. Apparently the F-35 is really goddamned stealthy. That much has been confirmed multiple times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

M_Gargantua posted:

Holy gently caress this guy. Yes I'm a US senator and I support rape. Like that's too dumb to be made up I can't even rationally doubt it.

Representative, not senator, but good loving god nonetheless.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

My buddies are telling me that all the bullshit to the side, the F-35 is a goddamn impressive fighter.

It's gonna be beautiful when we can darken the skies with these beauties. Their stealth is better than even the F-22 supposedly.. which I buy since two engines are harder to mask than one. And it's got a ton of thrust out of that engine. The avionics package on the thing is just bonkers- and they haven't even come close to dialing it all in yet. It's already game changing good- with a goddamn lot of room to grow.

They're apparently just as big of a game changer as the F-22 was a few years back. And that's a big bar to jump because Raptors were essentially god mode.

I wanna know more about F-35 vs F-22 like you wouldn't believe but it's all still apparently highly classified. I get snippets and anecdotes. Apparently the F-35 is really goddamned stealthy. That much has been confirmed multiple times.

I'm pretty excited about the prospect of the Finnish Air Force picking up the F-35 as the replacement for our Hornets, as they've stated that they're aiming for a 1:1 replacement ratio. The leap in capability when going from ~60 Hornets to 60 F-35s should be kinda rad.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Shim you been on the happy bush too long? The f35 was and still is a massively overpriced boondoggle and pretty much sucks poo poo at every use case it was pitched for, with the exception of "is stealth capable".

Im probably talking out my rear end but it seems like a huge loving leap from "lol f35" to "this thing is p rad"

E: i remember when they suggested using f35s in a stand off support role because they supposedly performed poorly in a dogfight scenario vs current gen and next gen multirole craft, let alone air superiority fighters.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Apr 26, 2017

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

https://theaviationist.com/2016/03/01/heres-what-ive-learned-so-far-dogfighting-in-the-f-35-a-jsf-pilot-first-hand-account/

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

orange juche posted:

Shim you been on the happy bush too long? The f35 was and still is a massively overpriced boondoggle and pretty much sucks poo poo at every use case it was pitched for, with the exception of "is stealth capable".

Im probably talking out my rear end but it seems like a huge loving leap from "lol f35" to "this thing is p rad"

E: i remember when they suggested using f35s in a stand off support role because they supposedly performed poorly in a dogfight scenario vs current gen and next gen multirole craft, let alone air superiority fighters.

The money's been spent and the bullshit more or less dispensed with (They need to get sensor fusion to work though, for instance.) they don't need to be great at air to air. The F-16 wasn't. They need to be good at stealthily striking targets and being able to defend themselves. And that much they can certainly do.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

The Iron Rose posted:

Representative, not senator, but good loving god nonetheless.

State House Representative not US House Representative.

The lower you go in politics the crazier the poo poo becomes

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

orange juche posted:

Isn't this true of most large military hardware projects.

Also can HBO make a Pentagon Wars 2.0 miniseries about the F-35 development process because I'd totally watch that.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

anatoliy pltkrvkay posted:

Isn't this true of most large military hardware projects.

Also can HBO make a Pentagon Wars 2.0 miniseries about the F-35 development process because I'd totally watch that.

If the military was ace at procurement we would be murdering the gently caress out of bugs on Klendathu right now.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrGAQCq9BMU

Also a current event, Cassini is about to dive between Saturn and its innermost ring in about 55 minutes. If NASA is right and there's clear space there, they will be able to get a shitload of data over the next couple months about Saturn's rings, until Cassini hits Saturn's atmo and vaporizes after sending back data on what is in Saturn's cloud tops.

If it doesnt work out and there is debris between the rings and the planet, there will just be a bunch of Cassini bits raining down on the planet in a couple months.

E: 20 years ago? Holy poo poo that thing has been up there a long loving time. That spacecraft's one mission is like a good chunk of a NASA scientists career.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Apr 26, 2017

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

yo NSA wizard can you please let our pals at NASA know that i will go to mars even if there's no hope of coming back

when the next ship eventually arrives they are just gonna find a giant statue of me and a bunch of dicks drawn all over it

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Two Finger posted:

yo NSA wizard can you please let our pals at NASA know that i will go to mars even if there's no hope of coming back

when the next ship eventually arrives they are just gonna find a giant statue of me and a bunch of dicks drawn all over it

Just ask Elon Musk. I hear he's gonna beat NASA there.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

GoGoGadget posted:

Just ask Elon Musk. I hear he's gonna beat NASA there.

Good, maybe they can leave him there

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Elon Musk is a James Bond villain in real life, seriously. If I was him, I'd refuse to meet with any well dressed British men.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

FrozenVent posted:

Elon Musk is a James Bond villain in real life, seriously. If I was him, I'd refuse to meet with any well dressed British men.

Nah, meet with them, but kill them yourself. With a gun. Right away.

Its like the #1 James Bond villain weakness. They never just kill the guy right when they meet him the first time, and do it themselves.

Smashurbanipal
Sep 12, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT BEING A SHITTY POSTER

Laranzu posted:

State House Representative not US House Representative.

The lower you go in politics the crazier the poo poo becomes

This is especially true for the great state of New Hampshire. 400 Reps and 24 Senators for a state that has a population of 1.34 million as of 2016. Each rep has a yearly salary of 100. This means the legislature is made up mostly of retirees, independently wealthy folks and total nutjobs, sometimes all rolled into one!

http://www.unionleader.com/Nottingham-legislator-accused-of-drug-possession-attempt-to-lure-girl-for-sex this guy was also supposedly dealing to many of his co representatives. They're still investigating some of them.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

orange juche posted:

E: 20 years ago? Holy poo poo that thing has been up there a long loving time. That spacecraft's one mission is like a good chunk of a NASA scientists career.

When they were launching that thing, think it was sometime in October, it caused all sorts of bullshit.

People melting down over the potential for a mishap and talking about nuclear winter and the end of the world if something went wrong at launch. Man they spent for-loving-ever protesting it around here.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Genocide Tendency posted:

When they were launching that thing, think it was sometime in October, it caused all sorts of bullshit.

People melting down over the potential for a mishap and talking about nuclear winter and the end of the world if something went wrong at launch. Man they spent for-loving-ever protesting it around here.

Yeah, its fun watching peple freak out about RTGs, especially since most of the RTG packages are designed to survive a rocket explosion without a breach.

https://twitter.com/tceraulo/status/856726420399177728

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Nice.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
If you really want a look into just how much money NASA doesn't get compared to everyone else, consider that back in 2011 the NRO gave them two obsolete(yet better than Hubble) Keyholes and NASA really doesn't know what to do with them because launching and using them takes money they don't have.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Proud Christian Mom posted:

If you really want a look into just how much money NASA doesn't get compared to everyone else, consider that back in 2011 the NRO gave them two obsolete(yet better than Hubble) Keyholes and NASA really doesn't know what to do with them because launching and using them takes money they don't have.

Well and they would have to get the Mirrors and optics changed out, different focal length.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Game changing how exactly? Even if the F-35 matched every claim, we already have or can easily attain total air dominance over any country where doing so wouldn't spark a nuclear war. This plane ... makes that a bit easier? It's still basically the same calculus for foreign policy.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
The F-35 has finally done it. It's been around long enough that people are going to start finding reasons to justify why it's still around, so expect the outlook on it to improve for the next 10 years of its development until we circle back to "why the gently caress are we still paying for this" for the following 10 years of its development.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

TBeats posted:

The F-35 has finally done it. It's been around long enough that people are going to start finding reasons to justify why it's still around, so expect the outlook on it to improve for the next 10 years of its development until we circle back to "why the gently caress are we still paying for this" for the following 10 years of its development.

Aside from "lol it can't fly" types, that turn happened in the defense/aviation arena years ago. The thing is beyond cancelling, and so everyone generally says "this program/acquisition process was hosed, but plane will likely be pretty good."

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
United at it again

https://twitter.com/TPM/status/857223020951343104

Also that dossier of trump might be a bunch of BS

https://twitter.com/mtaibbi/status/857045853718147072

Hot Karl Marx fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Apr 26, 2017

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Not sure how true this is, but some news sites are showing that Ted Cruz wants to use $14 billion from the forfeiture of El Chapo's assets to pay for the border wall.
https://www.axios.com/ted-cruz-introduces-el-chapo-act-to-pay-for-the-wall-2378374826.html

quote:

Also that dossier of trump might be a bunch of BS

https://twitter.com/mtaibbi/status/857045853718147072

It says some, not all. There's still hope!

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

Aside from "lol it can't fly" types, that turn happened in the defense/aviation arena years ago. The thing is beyond cancelling, and so everyone generally says "this program/acquisition process was hosed, but plane will likely be pretty good."

Bonus: the communications protocols used by the F22 and the F35 are incompatible with one another. The air force fielded two modern fighter jets that can't talk to one another unless a proxy/translator is used.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

F-35 security is nuts ever since the Lockmart hack. There's major construction going on around the DOD just to be able to handle it.

Coffeehitler posted:

The flip side is that the Russians got a lot of data about F-35s with their radars.

Doubt it, actually. They're probably flying with reflectors and other RCS-increasing tricks, just like F-22s did/do.

orange juche posted:

The "they" who suggested it were people like Carlo Kopp who should probably just be bound and gagged. There's a significant difference between gross project mismanagement and producing a lovely product. And the F-35A price (the USAF version) is dropping rapidly as production ramps up.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Apr 26, 2017

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/857233400922615808

Enzi seems like a classy dude.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Game changing how exactly? Even if the F-35 matched every claim, we already have or can easily attain total air dominance over any country where doing so wouldn't spark a nuclear war. This plane ... makes that a bit easier? It's still basically the same calculus for foreign policy.

The F-35 is not an air dominance fighter. It's for bringing bombs and penetrating advanced IADS that were specifically designed for keeping F-15s, 16s, 18s, and B-52s and B-1s literally hundreds of miles out.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

GoGoGadget posted:

Not sure how true this is, but some news sites are showing that Ted Cruz wants to use $14 billion from the forfeiture of El Chapo's assets to pay for the border wall.
https://www.axios.com/ted-cruz-introduces-el-chapo-act-to-pay-for-the-wall-2378374826.html
It's real

https://cruz.senate.gov/files/documents/Bills/20170425_EL%20CHAPO%20Act.pdf

It's written more as a statement than a law. As-written, it would require assets seized by the feds from any random dude selling any drug that was imported to be spent on border security.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Ah yes, the totally up and up process of civil forfeiture

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/AP/status/857240628882808832

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Ah yes, the totally up and up process of civil forfeiture

Using it to auction a drug lord's Lamborghinis and Siberian tigers, if not what the statute authors actually intended (iirc it was originally some kind of maritime piracy thing), is the legit function it is supposed to have which was repurposed by podunk flyover LEOs as literal highway robberycreative alternative funding.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Godholio posted:

The F-35 is not an air dominance fighter. It's for bringing bombs and penetrating advanced IADS that were specifically designed for keeping F-15s, 16s, 18s, and B-52s and B-1s literally hundreds of miles out.

Wrong words, substitute in whatever term means "able to fly around at will". The point is that even without the F-35 and F-22, the US is perfectly capable of ending any anti-air capabilities of any country where doing so would not start a nuclear war. The handful of countries with relatively modern Russian SA-s don't have them in greater numbers than can be handled with B-2s and cruise missiles.

So as far as making decisions about using military power, the F-35 isn't a "game changer" as you put. Even accepting the most optimistic assessment of its capabilities, it's an incremental improvement to and future proofing of the existing advantage the US has in the air.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Stupid statement, but Matt Shepard wasn't killed for being gay. He was part of a crew running crystal meth from Denver to Cheyenne, and got killed in a drug ripoff gone bad.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BigDave posted:

Stupid statement, but Matt Shepard wasn't killed for being gay. He was part of a crew running crystal meth from Denver to Cheyenne, and got killed in a drug ripoff gone bad.

Please don't push Jimenez' alternate theory book, thanks.

quote:

Culture critic Alyssa Rosenberg criticized the book for being poorly sourced, stating: "by not distinguishing which quotations are manufactured from recollections, which are paraphrases recounted by sources, and which were spoken directly to him",[4] and countered most of the major aspects of the book.[4] For example, she disputed claims about Shepard's alleged drug dealing, as most of the sources remained suspect or otherwise unsubstantiated. "Jimenez never qualifies how credible the sources are, or validates their closeness to Shepard, or evaluates the potential motivations for their accounts", she wrote.

Police officials interviewed after Jimenez's book's publication disputed certain claims made in the book. Dave O'Malley, the Laramie police commander over the investigations division at the time of Shepard's murder, said Jimenez's claim that Shepard was "a methamphetamine kingpin is almost humorous. Someone that would buy into that certainly would believe almost anything they read." Rob Debree, lead sheriff's investigator at the time, said the book contains "factual errors and lies", and deemed Jimenez's claim that Shepard was a drug dealer "truly laughable"

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Apr 26, 2017

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

CommieGIR posted:

Please don't push Jimenez' alternate theory book, thanks.

This is what I heard from a lot of Laramie friends as well

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

This is what I heard from a lot of Laramie friends as well

Like, you figure if they had found ANY signs of meth at the crime scene or on the victim or the perpetrators, it would've been brought up. It wasn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Doesn't help that the police chief and lead investigator at the time both said the idea that Sheppard was a meth dealer or kingpin was laughable.

EFB.

• Locked thread