Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Zesty posted:

Jesus Christ. Why did you vomit an 8 paragraph description of it at us then?

Oh thank god a new page. I'm not even going to edit in a quote of that post.

These reviews are a charming march down memory lane. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:
Yeah, I'm enjoying them.

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose

Neddy Seagoon posted:

"Lots of words"

Thank you for the episode synopsis (synopsi, synopsises, synopsix?), I do enjoy them

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Yeah, I like the reviews. Better than watching Voyager.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

HAmbONE posted:

Thank you for the episode synopsis (synopsi, synopsises, synopsix?), I do enjoy them

Synoptopodes

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Inverse Synopisi Particles from the deflector dish.

Malthuras
Feb 23, 2012

Go away
Q2: "Talk about perfection..."

Mmm yes

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Timby posted:

Rick Berman personally reached out to McFadden to invite her to return.

Well, that spared us having the ghost candle episode with Pulaski, I guess

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose

Lord of Pie posted:

Oh Pulaski, why do you gently caress with Data so?

On a serious note, The Host: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Host_(Star_Trek:_The_Next_Generation)

How does the Federation not know about trills? This guy is a trusted ambassador and the request for a full medical scan never came up? Especially since they don't use transporters and thus wouldn't be subject to basic transporter contaminant scans (both coming and going)

The Federation is soft. I am going to make a show... Star Trek: OH&S.

Now I just gotta learn how to kickstarter it

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Lord of Pie posted:

Pulaski probably wouldn't have been back for season 3 either way, she had a miserable time on the show and she also cost a lot of money - I think she was making more than everyone except Stewart.

There's a part of me that seriously wonders if the producers would have tried to shrug and say "ehhhhhh do we really need a doctor on the main cast?" if Gates McFadden had declined to come back.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

A lot of people seem to really hate working in Star Trek tv productions.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
What was Pulaski's problem with working on Star Trek? Not stuck standing on the bridge with no lines, no insane alien makeup, (presumably) not asked to deal with Gene's Rod n Berries. Did she not like what the writers gave her character? Actually that would make a lot of sense, I could totally understand that.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Less than one season later they'd air the first episode featuring Cardassians.

I'm just sayin'.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
Considering that Diana Muldaur was in TOS (and looked pretty good in it), I'd say there's a pretty good chance she's encountered Roddenberry's Rod N Berries.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

shadow puppet of a posted:

Less than one season later they'd air the first episode featuring Cardassians.

I'm just sayin'.

What... are you saying?

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

What... are you saying?

I'm saying that if O'Brien ran into that segmented neck and reflexively fired one off on the stun setting, he wouldn't get so much as a stern talking to.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

counterfeitsaint posted:

What was Pulaski's problem with working on Star Trek? Not stuck standing on the bridge with no lines, no insane alien makeup, (presumably) not asked to deal with Gene's Rod n Berries. Did she not like what the writers gave her character? Actually that would make a lot of sense, I could totally understand that.

Because it's trash! It's fine to like it but star trek is garbage even by the low low standards of television writing.
There's a truism about writing (that i'm going to misremember and mangle) that literature is about characters, while genre writing is about gimmicks - about the genre. Star Trek has almost no real character growth or motivation. Everyone fits in a set template like a dumb tool, and they only do what the plot requires (not the other way round) in strict accordanxe with their character template. Character growth, if it happens, seems more like the random whims of a changing writing staff, not anything like real planned evolution.
And all the while the poor actors are forced to recite retarded technobabble in the scripts for these stupid genre plots.

I'm not sneering at ST or those who like it (i watched it a lot as a teenager and still watch an episode here and there, play the odd game, etc) but holy gently caress it is trashy, bad genre fiction and it must be godawful to work on as an actor. Just garbage.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

That's 90% of television you've just described.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Maybe, but i think scifi and fantasy are particularly bad because you've got to read out a bunch of nerd poo poo written by autistic dorks the whole time.
At least if you're in a cop show or whatever you don't have the shame and stigma of talking bout dilithium in the plasma relays every week.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Every now and then Data relives Lal's memory of forcibly kissing Commander Riker over the bar in 10 Forward.

Sometimes, a lot of now and thens.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Oberleutnant posted:

Maybe, but i think scifi and fantasy are particularly bad because you've got to read out a bunch of nerd poo poo written by autistic dorks the whole time.
At least if you're in a cop show or whatever you don't have the shame and stigma of talking bout dilithium in the plasma relays every week.

Cop shows are loving garbage 100% of the time.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I'd rather watch Threshold on repeat for eternity than suffer through one more episode of NCIS

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Timby posted:

After Hurley was fired following the second season, Rick Berman personally reached out to McFadden to invite her to return.
Has Rick Berman EVER made a good decision?

Je suis fatigue
May 5, 2009

Amazing! It's a double J.O.!

Sunswipe posted:

Has Rick Berman EVER made a good decision?

He hasn't worked since 2005 that was a pretty good call on his part

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I miss the era of CGI where you'd just overlay things on top of things until either the Amiga crashed or you had yourself "special" effect.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Star Trek: the shame and stigma of talking bout dilithium in the plasma relays every week.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
It's the writers' own fault for spewing all that technobullshit about plasma relays and tachyon inversion manifolds or whatever. TOS didn't have half the bullshit words that TNG+ did.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
TOS was just an elaborate scheme to get Gene Roddenberry laid.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

DS9 had both character development and less technobabble than other contemporary Star Treks, and the cast still hated each other.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

wasn't tng not that popular during season 2? i know a lot of the episodes are garbage

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Peachfart posted:

DS9 had both character development and less technobabble than other contemporary Star Treks, and the cast still hated each other.

Siddig and Brooks had a bit of a thing over Nana but that's about the extent of it. That cast was entirely professional and fine. Nothing even close to Janeway and 7's behind the scenes feud.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Hell they are still chummy as gently caress. Like I am pretty sure Armin and Rene get poo poo faced together constantly.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Everything in show business is.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

He was as shocked as anyone to discover the cameras had film in them.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice

Baronjutter posted:

Siddig and Brooks had a bit of a thing over Nana but that's about the extent of it. That cast was entirely professional and fine. Nothing even close to Janeway and 7's behind the scenes feud.

What was the latter feud about?

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:
I choose to believe it was a lover's quarrel.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Sten Freak posted:

What was the latter feud about?

A newer hotter younger actress added to the show and is suddenly in every scene and every episode and she can act good too. Kate felt super threatened and jealous and got super nasty about it.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Baronjutter posted:

A newer hotter younger actress added to the show and is suddenly in every scene and every episode and she can act good too. Kate felt super threatened and jealous and got super nasty about it.

But could she match the subtle allure of a woman in the full flower of early middle age?

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

jeri ryan was like the only likeable person on that whole drat show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Mulgrew knew she was going to be written into a romantic subplot with Neelix so she attacked Jeri Ryan in a show of strength as directly attacking a Writers Guild member is against SAG rules.