Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
As a phone monkey in a university call center, nothing gets under my skin like callers that put forth zero effort before resorting to customer service. I work with online education specifically, and to get to the online chat/email address/phone # I answer you have to go through a page that shows all our online programs - the front page of our site. At the top of the page is a giant '[Name of University] ONLINE' banner.

70% of my interactions are "hey do you offer [program]?" and 15% are "I want a residential program, not an online one!" Take 10 seconds to look at the list and the name of the stupid site you muppets!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Cigarettes rule and I wish they weren't so bad for you so I could smoke more of them.

I legit miss the habit. I'll be hosed if I'm gonna be a vape person because it is not the same, so I just had to quit instead of dying painfully.

Sometimes I wonder if I made the right choice, yo.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Cigarettes rule and I wish they weren't so bad for you so I could smoke more of them.

Same. I still stash a pack around and smoke about one every two months.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah I'll probably always sneak like 4 a year even though I quit. I don't miss smoking a pack a day though.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

This isn't the personally held bad opinion thread.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Cigarettes make me nauseous right away. Being around smoke even for a couple minutes makes me want to puke. Not being hyperbolic, I may be allergic.

With that said, going to someone's house where they smoke inside causes me to die. I have died many times. I am several ghosts. We are legion.

Weed smoke, however, is like sweet ambrosia to me.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Bogan King posted:

This isn't the personally held bad opinion thread.
I'm simply trying to advertise my new book, The Joy of Smoking, in hopes of revitalizing cigarettes as an occasional indulgent treat enjoyed by the masses. Come to my cigarette tasting and book signing this Saturday, held just outside your favorite grocery store entrance.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

I'm simply trying to advertise my new book, The Joy of Smoking, in hopes of revitalizing cigarettes as an occasional indulgent treat enjoyed by the masses. Come to my cigarette tasting and book signing this Saturday, held just outside your favorite grocery store entrance.
does it come with free radiation therapy?

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

Jokes on you, I can't afford food and the smell of the dumpster I 'shop' in will overpower your smoke. Now we both smell like two different kinds of trash.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Inzombiac posted:

Cigarettes make me nauseous right away. Being around smoke even for a couple minutes makes me want to puke. Not being hyperbolic, I may be allergic.

With that said, going to someone's house where they smoke inside causes me to die. I have died many times. I am several ghosts. We are legion.

Weed smoke, however, is like sweet ambrosia to me.

Same here, it triggers my asthma really bad.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Imo if someone is smoking outside and a little bit of it wafts my way it smells wonderful and makes me want a cigarette. Someone after they have smoked, or a house/car that gets smoked/ash trays are maybe some of the most disgusting smells on earth.

A room full of smoke is like death. It's funny because I was pissed when they first banned smoking in bars/restaurants about 10 years ago. Now it feels kind of insane that it was ever allowed. Even when I was a smoker I thought this about a week after they banned it.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

The ability to go to the pub for dinner and not come home reeking of smoke is wonderful.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

Now it feels kind of insane that it was ever allowed.

I feel like once we finally make cigarettes illegal we'll probably be saying this too.

Also I want to echo the comments about smokers and their butts. Holy poo poo you littering fucks, do not just throw them anywhere, it's loving rude.

WampaLord has a new favorite as of 02:05 on Apr 26, 2017

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

WampaLord posted:

I feel like once we finally make cigarettes illegal we'll probably be saying this too.

Also I want to echo the comments about smokers and their butts. Holy poo poo you littering fucks, do not just throw them anywhere, it's loving rude.

Even as a smoker, this drives me nuts. Put it out and put it in the garbage. Not rocket science, people.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫
I once rented a spare floor in my house to a smoker and he would smoke on the balcony and fling the butts out on the lawn/stone path/garden.

I told him to stop it and he said it wasn't him. Motherfucker there's only two people in this house and the other one is me who doesn't smoke.

The worst I've seen is a girl I had for an apprentice once when repainting a daycare center. She would throw her butts all over the playground. But then when her pack ran out she crumpled it up and threw it on the porch. Again a refusal and "you're the only one here who smokes"

The opposite end of the smoke spectrum I worked with this old Finish man who was James Bond with his cigarette butts. When he finished a pack he would use that empty pack to store his butts and then when the next pack was empty he would throw the first one in a garbage bin. Then keep his packs on a rotation like that

Catberry has a new favorite as of 05:27 on Apr 26, 2017

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Pick posted:

Same. I still stash a pack around and smoke about one every two months.

veni veni veni posted:

I don't miss smoking a pack a day though.
About once a year I buy and smoke a pack and that's much better than smoking all the time. But if they weren't so bad for you, it would be nice to smoke more often than that. It's like alcohol - if you're drinking all day every day then you're not doing it because you enjoy it, but if you had to restrict yourself to once a year that would suck.

veni veni veni posted:

Imo if someone is smoking outside and a little bit of it wafts my way it smells wonderful and makes me want a cigarette. Someone after they have smoked, or a house/car that gets smoked/ash trays are maybe some of the most disgusting smells on earth. A room full of smoke is like death.
Even when smoking inside was allowed I always liked to go outside to smoke, for this exact reason. Fresh cigarette smoke is great, but once it hangs around a bit, whatever made it smell good disappears. The only way to tolerate being in a room that people smoke in is to be smoking yourself.

Intoluene posted:

Even as a smoker, this drives me nuts. Put it out and put it in the garbage. Not rocket science, people.
Agreed. What's so loving difficult about walking two metres to the bin? The worst though is people sitting around a campfire smoking and throwing their butts on the ground. What the gently caress is wrong with you? There's a fire right in front of you to throw them in!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

To break up the smoke chat:

I have ADD and get infuriated by people that ramble when they talk or over-explain themselves.
Buddy, I have a hard enough time paying attention to you. Please don't make this difficult.

I've learned to be composed and succinct in hopes that others will follow my lead.
They don't.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Whatup, ADD buddy

Listen, friend, guy, buddy, pal- I cannot focus on you this long. Please get to the point of your story before my poo poo brain goes on an adventure.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Sociopastry posted:

Whatup, ADD buddy

Listen, friend, guy, buddy, pal- I cannot focus on you this long. Please get to the point of your story before my poo poo brain goes on an adventure.

Why are you still- this is just the same sentence in three different ways. Fuuuuuck you ugh. Just get to the pooooooint

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

:D

Other peeves: it is okay to just say you don't like a thing and leave it at that. You don't gotta poo poo on someone for liking a movie or whatever that you don't like.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Acronyms.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Inzombiac posted:

I have ADD and get infuriated by people that ramble when they talk or over-explain themselves.
Buddy, I have a hard enough time paying attention to you. Please don't make this difficult.

I've learned to be composed and succinct in hopes that others will follow my lead.
They don't.

Same, but I don't have ADD

The only difference we have is that can endure these people for a fraction longer than you do

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Those SA banner ads that deliberately put an apostrophe in the wrong place, just to catch your attention.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

When my white as hell, NPR crowd friends all of a sudden awkwardly use hip hop lingo when talking about rap. "yo this new Kendrick is tight". You wouldn't say that about the Belle and Sebastian album you just listened to, you sound loving ridiculous.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Rolo posted:

I legit miss the habit. I'll be hosed if I'm gonna be a vape person because it is not the same, so I just had to quit instead of dying painfully.

Sometimes I wonder if I made the right choice, yo.

Vaping is so unrewarding. I've never been a smoker unless I'm drunk or something but a cigarette is actually a fun social tool and tastes good. Vaping is none of that

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Jippa posted:

Acronyms.

Watching sci-fi would be pretty painful if you had to talk about light amplification by stimulated emission of radiation. Watching sci-fi is usually pretty painful anyway so :shrug:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Jerry Cotton posted:

Watching sci-fi would be pretty painful if you had to talk about light amplification by stimulated emission of radiation. Watching sci-fi is usually pretty painful anyway so :shrug:

Wait poo poo it's spelled LASER?

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Rolo posted:

Wait poo poo it's spelled LASER?

Looks like someone is going for a walk over to the poo poo you can't believe you just figured out thread.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

They don't.

I hear that. In the same vein, one of the worst things is when someone is explaining something, and I try to make it clear that I understand it, and they just keep explaining it.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

ZDar Fan posted:

I hear that. In the same vein, one of the worst things is when someone is explaining something, and I try to make it clear that I understand it, and they just keep explaining it.

UUUUGGGGHHHHHH

I have a co-worker that is fairly smart but lacks any confidence. He likes to explain to people how to do their job because he's an rear end in a top hat and thinks he's getting validation.

Littering.
In what scenario are you not a short walk from a garbage can?
OR does a candy wrappers suddenly become toxic once you eat all the contents? Put it in your loving pocket FOR LIKE A MINUTE.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

People who have no idea how to do something but insist on trying to tell you (after asking you for help) how to do it. If you already know, why don't you need me to come do it?

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫
Management. Now I don't mean people who perform management tasks. I mean professional management. People who has it as their profession.

There are at least two types of these people.

Those who go to school to become management from the start. Management "blanks" who have no connection at all to any work. People who hope that years of courses on dealing with people and leadership will see them through in a business they have no experience in.

Then there are those who become professional management later on.

I work construction and most management types there will be, for example a carpenter who showed some leadership abilities. Managed some projects and the crew listened to and respected him. So the higher ups make him management full time. He knows the profession and the work and so can handle it. But after he spends 10 or 20 years in this role, he gradually loses the connection to the workers and the profession. Grows distant from years in the office and turns into professional management.

Or he sees a wanted ad for a "project manager" at say... a glass installment company. The pay is higher so he takes it. Because he has management experience and in a similar line of work he gets the job. Now he has no experience in that field. The workers only know him as the guy who bitches when things aren't going as planned so he never gets a proper connection to them either.

The only reason I think any of this can continue for as long as it has is that the big decision makers in any corporation are themselves so distant from the workforce and management thereof. That when lower management fail to handle the workers the higher ups just accept that workers are an incomprehensible pain in the rear end that there is only really so much you can do.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

Littering.
In what scenario are you not a short walk from a garbage can?
OR does a candy wrappers suddenly become toxic once you eat all the contents? Put it in your loving pocket FOR LIKE A MINUTE.

I could never respect a litterbug. It's on par with people who don't wash their hands after using the toilet.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I think it's worse. I can wash my own hands, but I can't pick up every piece of litter I have to see.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Beachcomber posted:

I think it's worse. I can wash my own hands, but I can't pick up every piece of litter I have to see.

I tend to go the other way - I put my trash in my coat pockets just to get it out of my hands but then forget about it, so a month later I'll be emptying chocolate wrappers into a random bin, straight from my pockets. I must look like a crazy person. At least I'm not littering! :v:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is it littering if some dickhead put a flyer on my window while I was in a parking lot and I didn't notice it until I was driving, then used my wipers to make it fly away. I did that today. As far as I'm concerned whoever stuck it there is the one that littered.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

ZDar Fan posted:

Seconded.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

ZDar Fan posted:

Our director of accounting does this about the simplest things. Makes sense, is easier, I totally get it. Uh huh. Yep. Uh huh no yeah I get it...

I think he just gets lonely in his office, I know I would.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Most people don't get it though. So it's easier to just fully explain it to everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timefly
Apr 29, 2008

A friend of mine will say things twice, as if not responding within half a second means you must not have heard him: "hey, so my brother called earlier. My brother called." :bang:

• Locked thread