Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Being a visible minority is a moral issue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

RBC posted:

It's exactly what you would expect from putting a fascist chief of police in charge of "legalization."

You're putting way too much emphasis on a single individual, even if he happens to be in charge of the portfolio.

It's really lovely though, yeah.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
The only moral crime is my crime.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

infernal machines posted:

The only moral crime is my crime.

Fair.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
A lot of things could happen before it legalizes next year anyways, so it is too early to talk about amnesty.

Dumb tone-deaf anecdote on his part though. Why did all you guys vote for him again?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ocrumsprug posted:

A lot of things could happen before it legalizes next year anyways, so it is too early to talk about amnesty.

Dumb tone-deaf anecdote on his part though. Why did all you guys vote for him again?

the ndp ran a joke of a campaign and a terrible candidate in my riding, again.

Conservatives gonna pander to the lowest common denominator, Libs gonna lib, Greens gonna be filled with crazies, and NDP gonna run their campaign like it was a surprise to them that there was an election..

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
I didn't vote Lib (but would have if it was the likely ABC candidate and a vote split looked possible, FPTP yo), but I did harbour a secret hope that JT would have been significantly inspired by his father and act similar.

PET was before my time but he seemed like a good no bullshit dude who did good things that needed to be done. Could be I'd have hated him if I actually lived then, but I liked the man the historical picture painted. Read a bunch of his writings as well, gave a pretty positive image.

Anyway obviously the real thing didn't work out like that, but there you go, one voter's secret hope that was dashed on the rocks once again.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

ocrumsprug posted:

My riding is one of the safest Lib seats in the country - Carolyn Bennet. Voting NDP on my part made zero difference in the outcome here. Plus the NDP ran their usual dumpster fire of a campaign nationally. The 'gently caress Harper' vote went Liberal this election.

Plus he is a Q.T.!!!

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
Vote Communist you idiots. Your vote is never going to matter anyway.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

A Typical Goon posted:

Vote Communist you idiots. Your vote is never going to matter anyway.

Seems you missed this cinematic classic.

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Trudeau sr was a communist and best friend with chairman mao who killed 200 millions of his own people and he was one of the worse presidents we ever had.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Based on recent posts I'm getting the impression that:

Liberals gonna lib, their campaign promises are worthless, don't vote for them.
NDP campaigns bad, don't vote for them.

Feels vaguely inconsistent.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

pokeyman posted:

Feels vaguely inconsistent.

Every party is bad and stupid. That's why I voted Liberal: they seemed, in this case, to be the least bad and least stupid. It's also why I voted CPC in elections before that, and why I will vote NDP provincially for the foreseeable future. I'm sufficiently worried about the alternatives that I don't feel I have the luxury of not voting for the least bad option.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
The NDP ran a bad campaign.
The Liberals lied through their teeth to get elected.
I voted for the NDP in my riding.
The NDP lost in my riding.
My vote was worthless.
C'est la vie.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

pokeyman posted:

CPC will do everything they say they're going to do, which is reason enough not to vote for them.

Giant Meteor 2019.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
I voted for my MP, who happened to be NDP, because she had a great history of supporting my neighbourhood and representing our interests in Parliament.

She lost to a Liberal, but them's the breaks.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

vyelkin posted:

The NDP ran a bad campaign.
The Liberals lied through their teeth to get elected.
I voted for the NDP in my riding.
The NDP lost in my riding.
My vote was worthless.
C'est la vie.

^^ basically

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
Vote Communist people. It's the ultimate protest vote. Not to mention they got a program that needs very little updating. The best thing about it is, everyone would see how rapidly democracy is subverted once it works for the benefit of the many instead of the few.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

infernal machines posted:

I voted for my MP, who happened to be NDP, because she had a great history of supporting my neighbourhood and representing our interests in Parliament.

She lost to a Liberal, but them's the breaks.

Same, except it was a he instead of a she.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Ardent Communist posted:

Vote Communist people. It's the ultimate protest vote. Not to mention they got a program that needs very little updating. The best thing about it is, everyone would see how rapidly democracy is subverted once it works for the benefit of the many instead of the few.

I feel like I could have predicted this post based on your username.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Ardent Communist posted:

Pefect Username/AV/Post combo :discourse:

The NDP candidate in my riding joined like a week before the election after being in the revolt against the premier and quitting the provincial NDP party. She got creamed.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Ardent Communist posted:

Vote Communist people.

Agreed.
https://twitter.com/compartycanada/status/857042142308519939

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
Remember when Trudeau promised repeatedly that he would make it so that all votes counted.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

They do. Some just count more than others.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

My best memory of the election was watching Peter Mansbridge do his special 1 on 1 exclusive with Stephen Harper and talk about dogs or something for like 15 minutes.

Someone take Mansbridge out to pasture already.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

I voted for that guy ironically. Now I'd vote for him unironically.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Expropriation already exists :ssh:

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Risky Bisquick posted:

Expropriation already exists :ssh:

and civil forfeiture

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I've said it time and time again. It was neck and neck between Jim 'Libs gonna Lib' Carr and Joyce 'McCarthyism is cool and good!' Bateman.

I strategically voted for Carr.

I'll never strategically vote ever again.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

We're so hosed

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/857029846949662720

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Trump... dishonest?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Would prefer that more government communications were as blunt and concise as the White House version, actually.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Opaque and content free?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Lobok posted:

Would prefer that more government communications were as blunt and concise as the White House version, actually.

gently caress off, that WH summary was vague, brief, and blatantly misleading and missing information.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I voted for Jennifer French and she won :goleft:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

CLAM DOWN posted:

gently caress off, that WH summary was vague, brief, and blatantly misleading and missing information.

You're right. It was a poor hot take borne out of cynicism that a government press release is going to tell the truth about how things really went down because without a transcript or audio log I find it hard to trust either side's story.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
My take on the amensty thing is that they're trying to avoid a free for all before the law is in place. Trying to be all "the law is the law until we change it" isn't going to work if you talk up amensty happening as well, you'd basically be inviting people to break the law anyway knowing they'd be pardoned in a few months. Then they'll pass an amnesty for simple possession after they legalize.

I mean, I know it's not working and people are blatantly ignoring the law anyway, but that's what I think they're trying to do. He basically hinted at just that:

quote:

On Monday, Trudeau suggested his government would address the issue of criminal charges once legalisation is approved. “Our focus is on making sure we’re changing the legislation to fix what’s broken about a system that is hurting Canadians,” he said. “And then we’ll take steps to look at what we can do for those people who have criminal records for something that would no longer be criminal.”

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Absolutely unshocking, unless you're Skippy Granola.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
It's loving pot. Who cares if there's an outbreak of illegal use beyond like Frito-Lay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/04/26/white-house-nafta-withdraw-trump-237632

Whoops.