Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Give it to me Mods

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Someone please take the username "Pooster Maldonado"

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

1500quidporsche posted:

Your avatar is loving awesome man.

You're kart is nice.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Please stop associating all of Australia with Tony Montana....

We much prefer being Shoey drinking Bogan's.... :australia:

Oh and as an Australia, I just want to say I quite enjoy Oval Racing.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
As an American I feel qualified to say that the best kind of racing is figure 8

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

As an American I feel qualified to say that the best kind of racing is figure 8

This, and Demo Derby.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
As an american its actually multiclass endurance.

I'll see myself out now.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

what the gently caress happened in here? clearly 2 weeks is too long between races for this thread.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

wuffles posted:

what the gently caress happened in here? clearly 2 weeks is too long between races for this thread.

Apparently Matt drizzle's terrible posting acted as a lodestone for all the other poop and with him dead forever it's now being sprayed around the rest of the thread much like a McLaren Honda crankshaft inside its own case.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Someone please take the username "Poster Maldonado"

Pretty sure Tony Montana should given his post to win rate.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
I wake up to find 180 posts, surely something of interest has happened in the field of racing.

Ahh gently caress worst thread.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Thread title needs changing, halo abandoned

"...with the FIA stating: “A number of more integrated solutions for additional frontal protection have been studied, and the decision has been taken to give priority to the transparent ‘Shield’ family of systems.

“The FIA aims to carry out track tests of this system during this season in preparation for implementation in 2018.”"

So a windshield then?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

learnincurve posted:

"...with the FIA stating: “A number of more integrated solutions for additional frontal protection have been studied, and the decision has been taken to give priority to the transparent ‘Shield’ family of systems.

“The FIA aims to carry out track tests of this system during this season in preparation for implementation in 2018.”"

So a windshield then?

I think it's more kicking the can down the road than a statement on the best solution. Bottom line is nobody wants enclosed cockpits. If they did, they'd have done something a lot quicker following Henry Surtees' death. Nobody in the sport, its fanbase or its governing body is prepared to admit it though. Motor racing is a terrible joy and there's something appealing about the risk.

Theophany fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Apr 26, 2017

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Someone was theorising that they may end up looking like some of the windshields they had in the 1970s. My wild theory is that this is something Brawn has been quietly working on at home without any agenda, and because it's Brawn it will simply work.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Looking over beautiful 70s machinery led me to this gem of a quote from a Ferrari PR piece over Villeneuve driving a 312T.

Are Jacques :canada: posted:

I think I am lucky to be driving at a time when cars are safer, otherwise maybe I’d be dead too, given that like him, by nature, I tend to go always right to the limit.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Feels Villeneuve posted:

That was a WSBR crash at Imola that I'm pretty sure got him banned for a while. Fortunately he made an inspiring comeback to win a Grand Prix, a truly inspirational story that all F1 fans can get behind.

Monaco I think.

Which actually makes it worse.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Theophany posted:

I think it's more kicking the can down the road than a statement on the best solution. Bottom line is nobody wants enclosed cockpits. If they did, they'd have done something a lot quicker following Henry Surtees' death. Nobody in the sport, its fanbase or its governing body is prepared to admit it though. Motor racing is a terrible joy and there's something appealing about the risk.

Pretty much, they've adopted the approach that they want to be seen to do something about safety, without actually doing anything about safety.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

This is really painful to watch.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

iospace posted:

Why is this man allowed anywhere near a regular car, let alone a race car again?

Who was the Venezuelan poster that used to be on this forum usually defending him?
I vaguely remember endless toilet paper jokes.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

mrfart posted:

Who was the Venezuelan poster that used to be on this forum usually defending him?
I vaguely remember endless toilet paper jokes.

Please don't insult El Hefe

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
  • Drivers' names and numbers will be made clearer on all cars from the Spanish Grand Prix on 12-14 May
  • Teams currently not on the strategy group - which has until now been restricted to Ferrari, Mercedes, Red Bull, Williams, McLaren and Force India - will be invited
  • Controversial shark fins and so-called T-wings that have appeared on cars this season will be banned from 2018
  • Next year, any race that is stopped with a red-flag period will be resumed from a standing start
  • Measures will be taken to ensure that oil will not be used as fuel in 2018

Sounds pretty good with the exception of the standing starts after red flags. Races red flagged for weather will never restart.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

You Am I posted:

Please don't insult El Hefe

Oh, I searched his username. He really didn't post since christmas 2016, hope he's ok.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.

Tsaedje posted:

Races red flagged for weather will never restart.

it'll probably be like 2017 race starts

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah, there's bad poo poo going down in Venezuela.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Human Grand Prix posted:

This is really painful to watch.

As the YouTube comment pointed out, check out the 32 second mark when his hand slips off the wheel.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Yuji was before I started watching F1, is there something wrong with his car (or is it wet) or is he just super poo poo? I heard he wasn't particularly fast.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Yuji Ide was so bad that the FIA revoked his super license.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

wicka posted:

Yuji Ide was so bad that the FIA revoked his super license.

I mean he was decent in Formula Nippon so it's not like he didn't know how to drive a race car. He looks like a complete novice in that video though; hitting the limiter, forgetting to shift, and his lines are all wrong.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Im for more security but the halo concept was loving dumb.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

:crossarms: That ever happened before or since?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
When two flaming garbage drivers collide...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUe2XA3_qJo

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/india-to-tax-formula-1-for-past-three-races-898082/

Lmao. Bernie probably has safety deposit box in Switzerland full of blackmail material on the judges and wouldn't have let this happen.

aequalis
Aug 11, 2010

Fernando is smugger than you. Can you confirm you understand that message?

learnincurve posted:

So a windshield then?

Is Wrong Dennis working for the FIA now?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

learnincurve posted:

So a windshield then?

Done, OP.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Dale gave us the Hans, Tony gave us the Halo.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Theophany posted:

Looking over beautiful 70s machinery led me to this gem of a quote from a Ferrari PR piece over Villeneuve driving a 312T.

Has Are Jacques ever talked about his father? I can't recall an interview where he's directly talked about him.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

1500quidporsche posted:

Has Are Jacques ever talked about his father? I can't recall an interview where he's directly talked about him.

lmbo

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2012/05/08/jacques-villeneuve-leads-tribute-gilles-wheel-ferrari/

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
He did a song about him, it was posted a few pages back I think. It sucked.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

OhsH posted:

As an american its actually multiclass endurance.

I'll see myself out now.

As an American, I agree with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Americans have plenty of experience enduring a multiclass society where only the top class has a handle at winning overall.

• Locked thread