Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

3rd Edition GURPS Vehicles

Car Lesbians RPG?

I was expecting a Utena RPG and was extremely disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
There's also the Car Wizards sourcebook for Katanas and Trenchcoats.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Atomic Highway is a game that gets suggested a lot but I'm not sure why - I mean, sure, it has chapter names like Buckle Up! or Pedal to the Medal! and the system is called the V6 Engine (getit)...

... and then the vehicle rules are really, really average. I mean, they're functional, but the chase rules are just a series of speed + skill rolls and that's all. The rest is just all the modifiers and crash rules and "maybe give people a penalty for driving on ice, work it out, GMs!" It isn't much you won't get out of systems like Savage Worlds and I found that pretty disappointing.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Nuns with Guns posted:

That all sounds pretty cool! How do you deal with classes that don't seem meant for multiclassing once you enter them, like the Chosen One? Just ignoring the Mood penalty? Or will they never switch back to levels in Trader?

Also while the thread is being weird I'd like to ask a diversionary question: are there any good systems for reenacting The Fast & The Furious? Outside of like, Car Wars or a system that can be generally applicable to numerous settings like Fate/FAE, that is.

Under ordinary circumstances, once you go Chosen One or Noble you're stuck there - it seems like a deliberate design choice to me so I wouldn't waive the Mood penalty. In this game, the players are at level 15 so I gave them the offer of a full respec if they wanted to go Chosen One, since being a level 15 something/level 5 Chosen One is kind of poo poo. The trader went from a cross-classed Rogue/Trader to pure Chosen One 15. Fortunately he was already a master of Arrowheart and quite into archery in general - he has a Reputation for coming first in the annual duchy archery competition by a country mile - so being a Chosen of Death Cupid fits his character concept nicely. The Quality 15 bone longbow which is now his weapon of choice is going to raise a few eyebrows amongst the local archery community, I think.

As for :rice: I would second the suggestion for Feng Shui 2. I quite enjoy the car chase rules in that and the game as a whole is appropriately action movie like for Fast and Furious. Car Wizards is an excellent read but I haven't played it so not sure what it's like at the table. More out-there suggestions include Demon: The Descent for the availability of overt superpowers which let you replicate the kind of stunts seen in the Fast and Furious franchise in a setting where normal people can't do that poo poo, or Apocalypse World 2E for having pretty good Mad Max car chase rules.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
Some more changes to The Next Project got posted today.

Also, check out the playtest that is currently ongoing here on the forums.

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!
The other day I picked up a copy of the AD&D1e DMG from a used book store, and today I noticed the receipt.

https://twitter.com/nekoewen/status/857261671714217984

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Spycraft 2.0 probably has the best chase system but is probably one of the crunchiest d20 games to have ever been written, so YMMV.

(I really wish they'd put out the trimmed-down Spycraft 3.0 already, I got to play a demo years ago as not-Dom Torreto, which was fun.)

The silver lining of Spycraft 2.0's crunchiness is that it's all self-contained for the most part. It's a bunch of modules that use the basic d20 idea, except for combat which is much less modular and more "gives you lots of options, but characters will only use half of them" that 3.5 had.

I'm playing in 3(!) Spycraft 2.0 games, and they even feel a little different mechanically since we're using different levels of depth with the rules and I'm playing different characters.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
strong new title

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Modiphius just announced a licensed game relevant to my interests. I'm not a minis guy though, so I don't know their track record. They good?

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Have a twitter bot that makes a new fictional map hourly.

https://twitter.com/unchartedatlas?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

HitTheTargets posted:

Modiphius just announced a licensed game relevant to my interests. I'm not a minis guy though, so I don't know their track record. They good?

Modiphius is more of an RPG company than a minis game company so who knows.

Mutant Year Zero is alright.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The rules should be okay and the sculpts look alright from what we've seen. The issues will be manufacturing quality control and if they know how to make a fun wargame.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Doodmons posted:

Under ordinary circumstances, once you go Chosen One or Noble you're stuck there - it seems like a deliberate design choice to me so I wouldn't waive the Mood penalty. In this game, the players are at level 15 so I gave them the offer of a full respec if they wanted to go Chosen One, since being a level 15 something/level 5 Chosen One is kind of poo poo. The trader went from a cross-classed Rogue/Trader to pure Chosen One 15. Fortunately he was already a master of Arrowheart and quite into archery in general - he has a Reputation for coming first in the annual duchy archery competition by a country mile - so being a Chosen of Death Cupid fits his character concept nicely. The Quality 15 bone longbow which is now his weapon of choice is going to raise a few eyebrows amongst the local archery community, I think.

yeah, it's definitely deliberate. That and noble seem designed from the ground up to be played from 1-20, what with both having access to all spell schools and martial maneuvers, and gaining powerful organizations and other abilities that let them drastically reshape a region's culture. There's really not much reason to cross-class anyway.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
So... went to Salute on Saturday.

Wild West Exodus gave everyone a free mini, and a free copy of the rulebook if you gave them your email address.

And they're also doing a competition where you paint the free mini, and as far as I can tell I'm the only one to enter so far, with the first winners picked at the end of the month, so I might be about to get a whole bunch more free stuff for it.

So... anyone have any thoughts on it? My initial impression is that right now the rules are fairly basic, with nothing too special, and the setting is Deadlands if you replace Ghost Rock with RJ-1027 and Mormons with Atlanteans. Native Americans with tomahawks and mystic powers, mad science steampunk... I think aliens landed at some point too.

The only thing I've seen that I've not seen elsewhere is that you can activate a handful of minis at once in alternating activations, but you have to declare them all before you take your actions, so if the first gets all you need done, your others still have to go rather than wait and see.

Other than that, it's a fairly typical skirmish game. I'd give it maybe 2/5 for being not immediately horribly obviously broken, but not bringing anything new to the hobby.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I wanted to try and make a character in Shadow of the Demon Lord. Could someone more familiar with the system look at this and see if I'm getting it right?

quote:

Human McGenericFace

Ancestry = Human

Strength = 12 (+1 from Human starting attributes, +1 from Intellect trade-off)
Agility = 10
Intellect = 9 (-1 from Strength trade-off
Will = 10

Perception = 9 (Intellect)
Defense = 11 (Agility, +1 from small shield)
Health = 12 (Strength)

Healing Rate = 3 (Health / 4)
Size = 1
Speed = 10
Power = 0
Damage = 0
Insanity = 0
Corruption = 0

Background = Someone important and powerful owes you a favor
Personality = Might makes right. Obedience to authority is the highest ideal
Religion = You follow the tenets of the Old Faith
Age = You are a middle-aged adult, 36 to 55 years old
Build = You are slender
Appearance = You are perfectly average in appearance. You look like everyone else.

Profession = Religious. Temple Ward. You were raised in a temple. You were likely an orphan and brought up by the clergy

Wealth = Comfortable. You live well and make enough that you can save a little.

Equipment (based on Comfortable)
a club (1d6 damage)
fine clothing
a backpack
a cloak
a week of rations
a waterskin
a coil of rope
a tinderbox
two torches
a healing potion
a pouch containing 5 cp
a small shield (defensive +1)
a box containing 4 bottles of ink, each a different color (interesting thing)

The basic mechanic of the system is to roll a d20, and either roll equal to or higher than a 10 for a "Challenge", or roll equal to or higher than a target's Defense to hit a dude. That roll is modified by your attributes, plus any other special rules/abilities, and then there can also be Boons or Banes as modifiers.

Boons are "roll as many d6's as you have Boons, and choose the single highest d6". Banes are "roll as many d6's as you have Banes, and choose the lowest single d6". Boons and Banes cancel each other out on a 1-to-1 basis.

To make a logical deduction or to recall an obscure fact, I'd roll a d20, have a -1 penalty since my Intellect is 9, and whatever other modifiers the DM sees fit to circumstantially add, and then the target number is (always) 10.

To hit a goblin (using the Bestiary stats) in combat, I'd roll a d20, have a +2 bonus since my Strength is 12, and then the target number is 14. If I hit, I roll a d6 for damage with my club.

And this is a level 0 character. It's only after the first adventure that I'd get to level 1 and choose a Novice path.

EDIT: The point of noting down a Profession is that the DM is supposed to leverage it to give you a Boon in Challenge rolls where it might be applicable.

Is there a recommended scale for a grid? I know that the Speed is in 1-yard increments, so would it make sense to have a 1-yard-per-unit grid?

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Apr 27, 2017

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Get Out is a good movie. Watch it blind.

Serf
May 5, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

I wanted to try and make a character in Shadow of the Demon Lord. Could someone more familiar with the system look at this and see if I'm getting it right?

This all looks right to me. Starting characters have very little going for them, but it is intended that you will get to level 1 by the end of the first session. SotDL really encourages the a structure of 1 adventure = 1 session = 1 level, so a campaign should be 10 adventures and 10 sessions long. So the nice thing is that you're supposed to be regularly getting new stuff and improving after each session.

Also I think the grid should be in 1-yard increments, but in my head they just becomes squares, the way god intended.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Covok posted:

Get Out is a good movie. Watch it blind.

But then how will I be able to see the screen?!

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Elfface posted:

The only thing I've seen that I've not seen elsewhere is that you can activate a handful of minis at once in alternating activations, but you have to declare them all before you take your actions, so if the first gets all you need done, your others still have to go rather than wait and see.

Other than that, it's a fairly typical skirmish game. I'd give it maybe 2/5 for being not immediately horribly obviously broken, but not bringing anything new to the hobby.

In Rogue Stars, you can activate one character and depending on how you roll your opponent may be able to reactively activate one character to interdict your initial action. This can lead to the action ping-ponging between you and your opponent.

I think Infinity works the same way, but I'm not sure.

jadarx
May 25, 2012

Helical Nightmares posted:

In Rogue Stars, you can activate one character and depending on how you roll your opponent may be able to reactively activate one character to interdict your initial action. This can lead to the action ping-ponging between you and your opponent.

I think Infinity works the same way, but I'm not sure.

Infinity is similar. Each player has a turn where they can activate models. But your opponent can react to any activation with any model in line of sight with a limited set of actions. So you could move and shoot with a model and the enemy models could shoot back or dive into cover.

Mr. Tambo
Feb 7, 2015
Gradenko: you should either have two more professions or one more and another language. (Everyone starts with two professions, humans get either a third or another language).

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL
:goatsecx:
Because I have no other way of getting in touch with Cartoon Violence, if you're reading this I can't access the dropbox anymore.

On that note, I don't really have anything too standout to mention from CV's game from my latest readings. I don't want to start in on a review either, without having finished it (or having access to it).

Things seem a little less gonzo, still over the top, but maybe I've just had a little absurdity fatigue. Like a junkie chasing that Demi-Draco.

Cartoon Violence
Oct 30, 2012

Stop being such goons, you CLODS!

Anniversary posted:

Because I have no other way of getting in touch with Cartoon Violence, if you're reading this I can't access the dropbox anymore.

On that note, I don't really have anything too standout to mention from CV's game from my latest readings. I don't want to start in on a review either, without having finished it (or having access to it).

Things seem a little less gonzo, still over the top, but maybe I've just had a little absurdity fatigue. Like a junkie chasing that Demi-Draco.

Oops! Sorry about that! I only meant to take it down for a couple of days so I could do some updates and completely forgot to put it back up for you. You're still free to do your write up, I just simply needed to update some things! Plus I found some weird stuff that I put in the game when I was a teenager that doesn't mesh well with my goal for it now and changed that stuff too. You should still be able to pick up where you left off. :) If you actually downloaded any of the documents from the old version, you may want to replace them with the new ones.

Here's the new link for you: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/aq8p6z2val42aj0/AAAU7BLCnCnw05BT3Tiu2tk0a?dl=0

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Goddamn I'm never gming PBP ever again after finding Discord. I'm doing a campaign using only it and we're like on the same rhythm as a normal weekly despite being just a buncha messages a day.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
I'm in a game being run over Slack - it's pretty much just better than forum PBP in every way. You can PM, split into different channels for different scenes, use a dice roller and so on.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Doodmons posted:

I'm in a game being run over Slack - it's pretty much just better than forum PBP in every way. You can PM, split into different channels for different scenes, use a dice roller and so on.

What is this "Slack?"

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Covok posted:

What is this "Slack?"

Free to sign up website. Super neat. App works well too.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

It's just Discord with a brighter interface and slightly different features.

I don't even know which one came first.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
slack did, discord is an imitator

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Doodmons posted:

Yeah it's way better than IRC when it comes to catch up with logs and multiple channels and stuff. Great asset for gaming.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Slack is Discord for normal people

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Discord is Slack for video games

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Slack is IRC for hip IT companies.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
IRC is Discord for IT department grandpas

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Someone should invent Apple for RPGs.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Halloween Jack posted:

p sure that's nuWhite Wolf

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Halloween Jack posted:

Secretly horrible, supported by slave labor, yet inexplicably popular because of slick design features over actual functionality?

Yeah, that sounds like nu White Wolf.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I am wary of Slack because I associate it with the horrible phrase "Buzzfeed Hamilton Slack"

Dec 26, 2012

Slack is good but I didn't really consider it for games because I use it so much for work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Slack is very useful but I would find it more trustworthy if I could actually afford the pay option. I could do a flat fee, but $5/users isn't going to work for me, especially since it rules out the possibility of people dropping in to watch or join the chat for general chattiness.

• Locked thread