Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

MarksMan posted:

I read a long time ago that K9 dogs can smell something like 1/1000th of a gram of cocaine, or 1mg. I used to weigh out RC's in 5-10mg doses and 1mg is an incredibly small amount.

A recent study found that K9 dogs respond extremely strongly to their handlers' cues. The researchers found that if you make a test designed to fool the dog into detecting drugs where there aren't any, the dog will give a false positive about 50% of the time...but if you make a test that fools the handler into thinking there are drugs when there aren't, the dog will alert 90% of the time. Whoops. :can:

Pocket Billiards posted:

The cocaine in the shoe setup was getting up there with Breaking Bad for suspension of disbelief. To me it's just a little too clever and outlandish.

The tracker in the petrol cap thing was great writing and plausible. The shoe thing stepped over the line a bit I thought. Like Breaking Bad it doesn't detract from my enjoyment at all, just a bit of a stretch in plausibility.

why is it surprising that a show which is set in the same fictional setting as Breaking Bad, which is also a direct prequel to Breaking Bad, and which is produced by the same people who made Breaking Bad has the same occasional excursions into comic-book exaggeration like Breaking Bad?

Presumably you watched and enjoyed the show where a man with half a face steps out of a room that has just exploded and adjusts his tie before collapsing, where a DEA informant's head is discovered attached to a tortoise-timebomb in the desert, where a high school chemistry teacher turned drug kingpin murders a family of nazis with a remote-controlled machine gun he built out of a garage door opener, but now "a methodical mercenary who was probably a sniper in Vietnam manages to hit a small target with a sniper rifle from a long range" is stretching the limit for you?

yeesh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Help Im Alive posted:

If I was Gus and Mike told me his strange plan I would probably go into box cutter mode

I really want a deleted scene of Mike explaining his plan to an incredibly skeptical Gus.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

quote:

Jimmy decides to represent a new client, much to Kim's dismay.
lmao

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

Sagebrush posted:

A recent study found that K9 dogs respond extremely strongly to their handlers' cues. The researchers found that if you make a test designed to fool the dog into detecting drugs where there aren't any, the dog will give a false positive about 50% of the time...but if you make a test that fools the handler into thinking there are drugs when there aren't, the dog will alert 90% of the time. Whoops. :can:

This is what I had the most difficulty with. If the handler had been suspicious of the truck beforehand then yeah, you only needed 1mg to stick somewhere on the truck the dog could detect to give a signal, but the handlers had no reason to suspect this truck over others, so it was down entirely to the dog. I believe a sniper can nail a shoe sized target, I just find it hard to suspend disbelief that in the second the truck drove under the shoe enough drugs were spilled on it to remain the 20 kilometers to the border (thank you handy roadside sign!) without the wind from the speed blowing all the fine drug dust away. They did show it falling thickly on the metal grid/step of the truck, I guess if they hadn't specified how far away from the border this was situated I wouldn't be whining as much.

Sure hope Mike waited to make sure no one else came along until all the cocaine had drained from the shoe, too. Don't want it sprinkling any innocent cars on the way to the border.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
These threads really do attract the most miserable type of viewer.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Is it possible to be disbarred for having some kind of medical condition that prevents you from practicing law?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Jimmy is going to get cornered by Mike in a vacant construction site. He desperately grasps for anything to fend him off with. Attempting to strike with the piece of rebar he found, Mike catches it midair and throws it away.

Mike: James McGill, you have been....disbarred

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I wonder if we find out how old man Salamanca ends up mute in a wheel chair. Like, it'd be pretty badass if trout puts him in that thing for good.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I'm sure we're going to find out eventually. It's a huge obvious mystery in the show and Hector is Mike's most obvious nemesis.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I love the contrast of how Jimmy utterly fucks up at being sneaky and putting sugar into his coffee at the restaurant

but Mike is an expert at sneaking sugar onto the back of the truck

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

King Vidiot posted:

Split the coke into two baggies, and put each into each shoe. But we don't see him do that, so alternately just be a really good shot and hit center mass through both sneakers.

Yeah, the stops signs are in Spanish. I guess a bigger question is how did Mike get a hunting rifle and cocaine into Mexico, both of which were just sitting there in an otherwise empty suitcase?

Have you ever crossed the border on foot from the US into Mexico? You can smuggle an elephant in.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
is it illegal to bring an elephant into Mexico?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Ein cooler Typ posted:

is it illegal to bring an elephant into Mexico?

Yes if it's a gringo elephant

http://www.laprensa.com.ni/2001/02/02/internacionales/795662-elefante-gringo-atrapado-trabajando-como-ilegalen-mxico

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

If its so easy to bring illegal poo poo across the border why didn't they just send the truck that way?

Junkyard Poodle
May 6, 2011

TOOT BOOT posted:

If its so easy to bring illegal poo poo across the border why didn't they just send the truck that way?

Whaaaaaat?!?!? Explain

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Pretty neat seeing Tyrus behind Gus there. Man, those little touches.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

bring back old gbs posted:

These threads really do attract the most miserable type of viewer.

Agreed, although it's entertaining in its own special way.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I just caught up to the latest episode and wondered why it was only 15 minutes long, then I realized 45 minutes had passed :stare:

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...
Deadspin and such have deconstructed the plot and author of "The Adventures of Mabel", but they missed an obvious connection in the text itself:

quote:

"What 's this?" said the policeman, as he pulled out a long knife and an iron tool called a "jimmy," such as robbers use to break into houses. Both the men turned very pale.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Jimmy is 100 percent going to use VCRs and tape players in the courtroom to trigger Chuck and it's going to own.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I noticed they had Tyrus in the background of the Gus showdown scene and thought it was odd because he came after Victor was box cuttered.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Zefiel posted:

This is what I had the most difficulty with. If the handler had been suspicious of the truck beforehand then yeah, you only needed 1mg to stick somewhere on the truck the dog could detect to give a signal, but the handlers had no reason to suspect this truck over others, so it was down entirely to the dog. I believe a sniper can nail a shoe sized target, I just find it hard to suspend disbelief that in the second the truck drove under the shoe enough drugs were spilled on it to remain the 20 kilometers to the border (thank you handy roadside sign!) without the wind from the speed blowing all the fine drug dust away. They did show it falling thickly on the metal grid/step of the truck, I guess if they hadn't specified how far away from the border this was situated I wouldn't be whining as much.

Did you think wind actually sanitizes a vehicle? As was pointed out the dog can detect even a minuscule amount of drugs.

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:

RJWaters2 posted:

The tape is not the crime anymore. He's off to the hoosgow for breaking and entering and destruction of property.

Not quite. Chuck said to the DA that he did not want the crime to be reduced to misdemeanor, he wants it under the status of Felony. A misdemeanor would not likely get Jimmy disbarred which is what Chuck wants. Jimmy faces the prospect of taking the deal; admitting he sabotaged Chuck's case and being immediately disbarred, or he faces trial for felony where if he loses he would get jail time and probably still be disbarred.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

Blind Rasputin posted:

I wonder if we find out how old man Salamanca ends up mute in a wheel chair. Like, it'd be pretty badass if trout puts him in that thing for good.

I'm pretty sure in Breaking Bad they mention in passing that he had a stroke.

Also I dunno how badass it is to cripple an old man but you do you I guess.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Karmine posted:

:jerkbag:

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Karmine posted:

You're a dork

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

drunken officeparty posted:

I noticed they had Tyrus in the background of the Gus showdown scene and thought it was odd because he came after Victor was box cuttered.

Tyrus must be his #2, behind Victor. I just saw it as a way to explain how Gus was able to find a replacement for Victor so quickly; he already had one.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

TBeats posted:

You're a dork

I don't care.

Where the hell is the podcast? :ohdear:

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Tyrus must be his #2, behind Victor. I just saw it as a way to explain how Gus was able to find a replacement for Victor so quickly; he already had one.

Wait, are you trying to tell me Gus had multiple employees in his region-spanning drug empire???

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Cnut the Great posted:

Wait, are you trying to tell me Gus had multiple employees in his region-spanning drug empire???

Shocking, I know.

It's like he ran it as a business and not some egotistical dick-measuring 'empire' like his opponent did.

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:

Karmine posted:

It's a fictional drug lord who is portrayed as a lovely person who targets people's families if he has a vendetta. He even went to the length of suicide just to kill one of his enemies.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
ive never been to New Mexico, let alone ABQ

I imagine black people like Tyrus gotta be careful not to congregate too long

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

Manic X posted:

It's a fictional drug lord who is portrayed as a lovely person who targets people's families if he has a vendetta. He even went to the length of suicide just to kill one of his enemies.

To clarify, I'm not wringing my hands over poor helpless Senor Salamanca, just that on the scale of badass things we've seen Mike do, making an old man have a stroke doesn't strike me as particularly impressive.

Jesus Christ people.

e: and when I think about it yes, the thought of Mike wanting to kill Hector but instead being satisfied with leaving him inert, speechless, and helpless for the rest of his life carries some satisfaction, but it's not as cool as, let's say, shooting the crooked lovely cops who murdered his son over like $300.

Karmine fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Apr 26, 2017

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Blind Rasputin posted:

Did anybody else notice that shot when Mike is going into the medical clinic, where they linger on a shot of a wheelchair and then you hear the bell from the door opening?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I'm sure it's been brought up but why was Chuck able to be outside when talking to Jimmy?

Also, Mike's shoe shooting plan was great TV but logically ridiculous. What if he missed the shot? Wouldn't it have been easier to lie in waiting for when the guys get out of the truck and then plant something on it?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Bigass Moth posted:

I'm sure it's been brought up but why was Chuck able to be outside when talking to Jimmy?

Also, Mike's shoe shooting plan was great TV but logically ridiculous. What if he missed the shot? Wouldn't it have been easier to lie in waiting for when the guys get out of the truck and then plant something on it?

Did you notice that Chuck could go to the office when he was winning Mesa Verde back, beating Jimmy? And how he was relatively okay at the hearing until he realized he was losing Mesa Verde, also losing to Jimmy?

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

King Vidiot posted:

Did anybody else notice that shot when Mike is going into the medical clinic, where they linger on a shot of a wheelchair and then you hear the bell from the door opening?

No I can't say I noticed any lingering shots.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

As it's been mentioned - Chucks' strength lies in how much he feel's he's winning over Jimmy. The moment he starts losing his brain can't handle it and suddenly the mere presence of batteries are killing him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan

Bates posted:

No I can't say I noticed any lingering shots.

Yeah, was surprised not to see Hector directly in that scene TBH.

• Locked thread