Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Kingdom hearts is a game you'd want to play for the gameplay instead of the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Kingdom Hearts is like the Dark Tower for weeaboos and Disney fans, only written in the style of elementary school payfights.

"OK so my character is KING MICKEY and he weilds the... Uh... The Royal Keyblade that can CLOESE the Kingdom of Hearts!"

'OK but MY character is actually...Uh...Hm... Oh he's actually an ANCIENT KEYBLADE FORGER and WIZARD who... Umm... who made a Keyblade out of the first Heartless that came out of Kingdom Hearts!'

"NO WAY because the KH heartless were actually NOBODIES"

'BUT actually NOBODIES were created when Xenahort stole the yensiD spellbook so that couldn't have happened!'

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I remember trying it out as a teen and enjoying the gameplay well enough. And I thought the TNBC level was charming. Other than that, I don't remember much.
I still love me the hell out of some JRPGs, though. The Tales series is just the most pleasant thing in the world to chill and play.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I played the first Kingdom Hearts. It was fun. Then I played the second got about about an hour into... a simulation or something(?) and put it down and never looked back.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

World Famous W posted:

I played the first Kingdom Hearts. It was fun. Then I played the second got about about an hour into... a simulation or something(?) and put it down and never looked back.

Just the opposite for me. I got the part in the first game when it asked me to find all 101 Dalmations and thought "Ehh...no."

I finished the second game simply because there was a point in the game when I realized the entire plot was insane, like genuinely crazy, fever dream anime nonsense and I was intrigued to see how far down the rabbit hole it would go. The answer was really really far. It helped that I thought the combat was fun. The Disney stuff is cool with the Lion King and Tron areas being memorable for me.

I'd probably just LP it these days but it was fun to play.

Now that I think on it, the start of the second game is really boring though. It lasts like an hour I think but it feels like 20 years that you never get back.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
My wife loved the first Kingdom Hearts. The second one, she was less enthusiastic about. But she fuckin' adored the Winnie the Pooh segments. Just the most chill, gentle, sweet area where there's no fighting or stress, just hangin' around, chilling with Pooh and his buddies. That was like a zen escape for her.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Honestly, thinking back, I probably spent half my play time on the first one just building gummi ships. That poo poo was fun and now I'm annoyed that I don't know of a build a ship Star Fox like game.

Edit: back on thread topic, watching through Disney's hunchback right now. I forgot how risque it was for a Disney film. I remembered the whole hell fire stuff, but forgot about the perv hair sniff.

Edit edit: haha, drat does this movie get silly in the cathedral raid

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Apr 26, 2017

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
A Frozen sequel is going to be the easiest thing to write because there's already a wealth of storylines out there for it, such as Elsa goes to see the dentist, Elsa needs her zombie baby cured, Elsa needs foot/hand surgery, Elsa has alopecia and needs someone to pick bugs out of her head etc etc

To add to the Kingdom Hearts chat - play the first one (the PS2 one), and then pretend no others exist because it isn't worth it. Do not 100% the game. Do not unlock or watch the extra cinematic. If you see anybody wearing a hooded trench coat, turn the game off immediately. Nothing beyond the 'Disney' stuff matters or is of any value whatsoever. Fight cute shadow monsters in realtime with a large key and summon Simba or Bambi or Genie and just have a grand time because it's all very cute.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4XzlAwWkXQ

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

I didn't realize Disney's licensing extended to adult products

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

smug n stuff posted:

idk if it's been discussed already, but Wes Anderson is making another stop-motion movie!
No trailer or anything, but it's coming out April 2018 apparently.

So down for this. Good cast to boot.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
It's always fun to see who Wes Anderson rolls into his katamari of actors. You have famously difficult ones like Ed Norton and F. Murray Abraham and it makes you wonder just exactly how much of a bitch Gene Hackman and Gwyneth Paltrow must be to get put on the DNC list.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
Calling it right now, Frozen 2 will be about Elsa finding out she's not actually Anna's sister. The movie will be about her finding her true parents, and in the end she will learn the lesson that Anna is her true family because of love. And then we all vomit and Disney makes all the money.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

dirksteadfast posted:

Calling it right now, Frozen 2 will be about Elsa finding out she's not actually Anna's sister. The movie will be about her finding her true parents, and in the end she will learn the lesson that Anna is her true family because of love. And then we all vomit and Disney makes all the money.

That... that actually could be good.

It'd also make Anna queen and therefore be a movie without princesses.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

dirksteadfast posted:

Letitgoincestguilt.gif

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

Letitgoincestguilt.gif

What really shits me about that .gif is that it's watermarked, even though the only value added work that person did was badly maneuvering the words "incest guilt" over art that someone else already produced.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Pick posted:

What really shits me about that .gif is that it's watermarked, even though the only value added work that person did was badly maneuvering the words "incest guilt" over art that someone else already produced.

Clearly a modern Duchamp.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Das Boo posted:

Clearly a modern Duchamp.

Who were the guys who kept stealing from the SA frontpage/Fark/Newgrounds and putting their watermark on it? It's been a while and I forgot.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Ebaumsworld.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Incest Guilt the Hedgehog, original character do not steal.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Pick posted:

kids these days have the actually important part of the creative process down solid

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
First thought on The Secret Life of Pets: Wait, so when Sweet Pea's owner is gone, he turns on the table fan and TV and follows the fighter jets... But, like, that's a channel or a show? Just a show which is all one shot of fighter jets through a canyon? Or is that supposed to be Top Gun or Independence Day or what?

Second thought: I actually like Jenny Slate's character, kind of wish the movie was about her.

Third thought: Overall, this is pretty bad.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

if there isn't an advanced cable channel that's just all fighter jets all the time IDK what the hell they use those 700 channels for

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Sports, mostly.

No, fighter jets aren't a sport in and of themselves. (...yet.)

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

World Famous W posted:

That was almost me, but somehow I managed to finish Kingom Hearts 2. Two and a half hours of vapid dialogue, thoroughly forgettable characters, gratuitous fetch quests, and mindless minigames before you get to any gameplay recognizable as a Kingdom Hearts game. Who the gently caress thought that was a good idea?

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Yeah, that opening segment... was a thing. You'll have no idea what's going on unless you'd already played Chain of Memories to completion, which I honestly couldn't bring myself to do (and knowing KH, even then it's not a guarantee). Segment had nice music, at least?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Cockmaster posted:

That was almost me, but somehow I managed to finish Kingom Hearts 2. Two and a half hours of vapid dialogue, thoroughly forgettable characters, gratuitous fetch quests, and mindless minigames before you get to any gameplay recognizable as a Kingdom Hearts game. Who the gently caress thought that was a good idea?

Kingdom Hearts is squarely and expertly aimed at the 13-year-old demographic.

This isn't to claim that it's good, but there are very real reasons why Square-Enix and Disney thought it was a good idea.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

That's the biggest issue with the series, it wasn't easy to keep up with what's going on because games kept hopping Platforms and expects that you played every one of them.

You had PS2 - GBA - PS2 - DS - PSP - 3DS - PS3, and those are the games important to the story. Re:Coded is a lovely mobile game that got ported to the DS that has zero importance whatsoever, and there's the mobile game that's more worldbuilding.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The Kingdom Hearts team also made The World Ends With You, and apparently this used up all their actual talent and creativity because all they've done since then is remake KH II and delay KH III.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

YggiDee posted:

The Kingdom Hearts team also made The World Ends With You, and apparently this used up all their actual talent and creativity because all they've done since then is remake KH II and delay KH III.

...?

The KH team didn't make TEWY and there have also been multiple full-length Kingdom Hearts games between KHII and KHIII.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

K. Waste posted:

Second thought: I actually like Jenny Slate's character, kind of wish the movie was about her.

Having slept on it, I can safely say that Gidget was the best character and would have done even better with more screentime to develop her. They could have done the entire film from her POV. It'd be really fun to start with the mundaneness of pet life, maybe Max's absence seen as an overreaction from Gidget, and just keep upping the absurdity until she arrives at a subterranean terrorist kidnapping cult run by a bunny. Ditch a lot of the extraneous characters, keep one for Gidget to bounce her thoughts off of and you'd have a much tighter, cohesive film. Still wouldn't be great, but loving hell did that thing need a dose of linearity.

There you go, all the pets that don't have much motivation to look for Max or don't really care? They serve as voices to doubt her and stay at home. Gidget sets out on her own and meets the hawk, then they head out to track Max and have their goofy-rear end detective adventure on the road to finding him. It'd even allow you to keep most of the set pieces.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I've only ever watched the video of Secret Life of Pets without the pets, and honestly I think that's about all I needed to see.

An incredibly sad tale about an animal control truck :(

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Das Boo posted:

Having slept on it, I can safely say that Gidget was the best character and would have done even better with more screentime to develop her. They could have done the entire film from her POV. It'd be really fun to start with the mundaneness of pet life, maybe Max's absence seen as an overreaction from Gidget, and just keep upping the absurdity until she arrives at a subterranean terrorist kidnapping cult run by a bunny. Ditch a lot of the extraneous characters, keep one for Gidget to bounce her thoughts off of and you'd have a much tighter, cohesive film. Still wouldn't be great, but loving hell did that thing need a dose of linearity.

There you go, all the pets that don't have much motivation to look for Max or don't really care? They serve as voices to doubt her and stay at home. Gidget sets out on her own and meets the hawk, then they head out to track Max and have their goofy-rear end detective adventure on the road to finding him. It'd even allow you to keep most of the set pieces.

They basically lose no time in completely abandoning the idea that pets have "secret lives." Like, the implication is obviously that they have secret lives from humans, but what would be more interesting is the animals having secret lives from each other. The hamster and the cat are the only ones who are actually motivated to 'slip through the cracks,' but literally every animal in the film has absolutely no trouble freely roaming between apartments. To each other, the pets' lives are actually flamboyantly open. Nothing is sacred to them.

Gidget is the most expressive character of all - at least in the first few minutes - because she actually seems relatively isolated and voyeuristic. Her relationship with Max being built upon separation would have been a great complement/contrast to the 'flushed pets,' who are united in a sewer.

K. Waste fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Apr 26, 2017

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Barudak posted:

Incest Guilt the Hedgehog, original character do not steal.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Das Boo posted:

I still can't think of much to do with the story that wouldn't be goofy or trite. (Wah-hoooah, FIRE PRINCESS~!) I guess figure out why the gently caress Elsa's ice powers include the creation of sentient life.

Elsa fights a fire princess, then she kisses the fire Princess, then she marries the fire princess, then she and the fire princess open a soft serve ice cream parlor.

Just like in my 50 chapter fan fiction "Let it Fro-yo".

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Elsa fights a fire princess, then she kisses the fire Princess, then she marries the fire princess, then she and the fire princess open a soft serve ice cream parlor.

Just like in my 50 chapter fan fiction "Let it Fro-yo".

Disney patting themselves on the back over "explicitly and progressively gay LeFou" has dashed my hopes of any actual lesbian protagonists. :shepface:

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Honestly, they should just put all their money into making the soundtrack and musical numbers and then just shove the rest of that into some acceptable formula that sort of kind of makes sense. This has to be the sequel to Let it Go more than anything else.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Honestly, they should just put all their money into making the soundtrack and musical numbers and then just shove the rest of that into some acceptable formula that sort of kind of makes sense. This has to be the sequel to Let it Go more than anything else.
What's the over-under on there being a "Let it Go" reprise? Maybe a more villainous version with a different character.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I watched The Secret Life of Pets because I wanted to know how it made so much goddamned money. It wasn't Frozen-big, but it made bank. After watching it, I still don't really know the answer.

From the premise I assumed it would be about the ways pets act counter to expectations when we're not around. Like the dignified french poodle that likes thrash metal, for example. But he's the only one, and all the other animals instead act exactly how we envision an animal's inner life. The loyal dog waits dutifully for his owner to return; the excitable dog gets excitable over TV; cat is fat, lazy rear end in a top hat, dog hates squirrel, etc. Oh but the rabbit is bloodthirsty and vengeful so I guess that counts? Which is the other thing that stood out to me. "Owning a pet is a serious commitment" isn't a bad message, but presenting it as 'the animals you left behind remember your face and want to murder you' is a really weird choice.

It takes these stabs at emotional heft, but they can't focus on it (or anything, really) for longer than five minutes. Everything feels disjointed; it's a mess. Credit where it's due, I wouldn't put it on the same level as the likes of Shark Tale. There are a couple funny bits (I liked the viper), and I appreciate that they let the villain have a hopeful ending, because based on the rest of the movie I thought he was headed for a Fatal Attraction reference. Overall, it's just kinda... there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Robindaybird posted:

That's the biggest issue with the series, it wasn't easy to keep up with what's going on because games kept hopping Platforms and expects that you played every one of them.

You had PS2 - GBA - PS2 - DS - PSP - 3DS - PS3, and those are the games important to the story. Re:Coded is a lovely mobile game that got ported to the DS that has zero importance whatsoever, and there's the mobile game that's more worldbuilding.

It's kinda bad form in general to assume that players have played any of the previous games in a given series, let alone games spanning multiple systems. Especially if your target demographic isn't exactly swimming in disposable income - any 13 year old who isn't the very model of a spoiled rich kid is unlikely to own all that hardware.