Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

drunkill posted:

So they invented a machine to microwave the leftovers?

:eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
They were feeling sad and down and jumped on a trampoline. Trampolines are fun and good. This isn't hard.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

drunkill posted:

Hahaha, holy gently caress. Incredible :golfclap:

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.
This whole episode was about suffering and coping mechanisms for those that are too thick to get it.

While the "I didn't even know you existed." line was very cold, I think Tommy might continue to carry the drive to protect Christine/Lily and saying it could be his attempt to tell Nora to let Lily go... That Lily wasn't meant for her.

I feel like in a way Nora was the Guilty Remnant for tower guy. Stop wasting your breath type thing. But she probably has also seen a lot of fake departures and has little tolerance for it.

What does the thread think? Do you think Nora is going to tell Kevin why she's going to Oz or leave him in the dark? Is she going because she wants to debunk the forced departure or does she believe it's really possible? Does Kevin want to join her because he needs her in his life for stability or is he consciously going to seek out his dad? I think the fact that she laughed at him when he asked for a baby but didn't explain that she sought out Lily and also has been given this opportunity means she might hide it from him the entire time. And I think it's a little bit of both as far as debunking forced departure and hope that it's real. As for Kevin.. He said he didn't want to die, so leaving Jarden to try and kill himself seems unlikely. But Australia is pretty big if he doesn't have an exact address for dad.

What's with the electronics not working for Nora? Maybe she's gathering radiation on her own?

Matt Zerella posted:

They were feeling sad and down and jumped on a trampoline. Trampolines are fun and good. This isn't hard.

This! Coping mechanism! Find happiness in the small things!

drunkill posted:

New thread title.

Longbaugh01 posted:

So...this random youtube person made and uploaded this video on April 14th. He just happened to guess that they were going to use the Perfect Strangers theme for the opening based on the "Don't Be Ridiculous" episode title. This is pretty loving amazing if true!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZUFbEpSOCw

I'm guessing there's no chance that he or someone he knows had viewed the episode prior to release? Didn't they let the press see every episode but the last months before the first episode airing?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Oh, noooo, it's going to be a different song over the opening credits every episode, isn't it?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Open Source Idiom posted:

Oh, noooo, it's going to be a different song over the opening credits every episode, isn't it?

I thought that too, but the licensing costs for such a thing might ramp up

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Aexo posted:

New thread title.

Agreeing with this, but I can't change it, nor do I have platinum in order to PM a mod. Can someone else request it through a mod?

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Open Source Idiom posted:

The next week ought to be the Who's the Boss? theme song. After that, the Doctor Who theme all the way out.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
I'm 50/50 on whether they just go back to Let The Mystery Be or change it up every week. (Or maybe it'll be some combination thereof.)

Aexo posted:

I'm guessing there's no chance that he or someone he knows had viewed the episode prior to release? Didn't they let the press see every episode but the last months before the first episode airing?

It's possible, but would someone really risk it just to do that?

Longbaugh01 fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Apr 26, 2017

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The trampoline scene just seemed to be a way of showing how Erika was dealing with the loss of her daughter. It was her coping mechanism. Erika saw that Nora was coping in unhealthy ways and offered up her healthy way. It made Nora feel better for a little while until she ran into Tommy. At which point she realized she's still a broken mess and resorts back to her unhealthy coping mechanism of being a realist rear end in a top hat who wants to poo poo on other people.

I thought the episode focused on two central themes. One being how people cope differently with loss. The other being how hope can wreak havoc on your life.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Also the use of the Perfect Strangers piano theme when Nora was driving back was a really nice touch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_BOHuO1KEY

And the name of the episode.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

oliwan posted:

Like i said before, i have an MA in literature, I'm an English teacher, i have lots of experience with listening to arguments about storytelling, thematics, etc. Please tell me why you think this was a good episode.

Yeah well, Mark Linn-Baker isn't impressed with your lovely MA.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Yeah well, Mark Linn-Baker isn't impressed with your lovely MA.

That's right. He is here to TAKE SOME loving CONTROL.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

How people could find issue with the trampoline scene, yet nothing about the wholly (in)appropriate theme song change up and Wu Tang generated writers is beyond me. I'm not saying I disliked any of it, on the contrary. But c'mon; be consistent.

Also, this is the only show that fills me with dread to the point where I'm absolutely hooked. Final seasons tend to do that to me a bit, especially when you know that something big and not necessarily good is coming (like with Breaking Bad). But this show... It's carved this hole into my emotions, and only filled it up with feelings of uncertainty and questioning, and goddamn, I don't think any other work of fiction has done that to me, other than House of Leaves, which is why I mentioned it before.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
A Damon Lindelof's House of Leaves miniseries is sounding more and more like a potentially good idea, actually.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Any adaptation of House of Leaves, if Danielewski ever lets it happen, needs to be based solely on The Navidson Record and not the rest, because finding the documentary is what sparks the story. Adding the outside stuff feels like cheating the book.

I appreciated the detail on the news that October 14th is October 15th in Australia. I think Carrie Coon might be my current favorite actor and I'm pleased as punch that she's on Fargo now too. Nora episodes are so good.

oliwan posted:

Like i said before, i have an MA in literature, I'm an English teacher, i have lots of experience with listening to arguments about storytelling, thematics, etc. Please tell me why you think this was a good episode.
And like I said before, I have a degree in writing for television and I've been working in the industry for several years. So if you literally believe qualifications are an objective authority, you have to defer to me when I say you're a colossal donkus and you should stop bringing this up, because both of our qualifications mean exactly jack poo poo on matters of personal taste.

Bonk fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Apr 26, 2017

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Nora posting that dead dude's face was hilarious because she's acting dumb and mad for bad reasons; Nora almost telling the religious folk that the dude died of a heart attack was melodramatic. Nora's trampoline scene is better if you don't watch it and just listen to the Wu-Tang track. Nora is basically a closet fundamentalist who works for the government; it's a little annoying that we need another episode of just her, because I think her character development stopped at the gun-in-the-handbag reveal but whatever...

Carrie Coon is cool.

Those are my takes on this deeply flawed, but entertaining show.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

LadyPictureShow posted:

And again they hit the tie-in throughout the seasons; season 1 all of the Perfect Strangers cast departed, season 2 they found Mark Linn-Baker hiding out in Mexico, this episode he's the one that contacts Nora.

I wish that it was the FRIENDS cast that disappeared and only David Schwimmer was left behind whining about it. He's HBO alumni too.

Onomarchus posted:

Maybe I shouldn't do this.

The trampoline scene showed that Nora is capable of childlike joy (though not enough for some total catharsis) even though her experiences have left her with a core of meanness and anger. (Go look at Lens for more of mean Nora. Also, Nora was mean, not to mention self-centered, to Tommy first before he replied in a mean way.)

Another interpretation I'm not as sure of: these days trampolines are considered as dangerous as all get out, so Nora could have easily broken an appendage again. Nevertheless, she went and used it for momentary relief. This also says something about Erika, who is in the medical field and presumably knows something about trampoline injury rates.

I don't know about anyone else, but during the trampoline scene I kept thinking "What if she doesn't come back into frame?" whenever Laura disappeared. It was ridiculous, but in the Leftovers universe...

Anyway, the episode was fantastic. The Wu Tang Band tattoo reveal was amazing and in tone with the series. I'm a bit disappointed that Kevin isn't actually killing himself daily and visiting the hotel, but he could have lied to Laura about pulling off the bag before he dies- because maybe he never dies?

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Apr 26, 2017

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Professor Shark posted:

I wish that it was the FRIENDS cast that disappeared and only David Schwimmer was left behind. He's HBO alumni too.

No joke, they did that on Revolution.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Bonk posted:

Any adaptation of House of Leaves, if Danielewski ever lets it happen, needs to be based solely on The Navidson Record and not the rest, because finding the documentary is what sparks the story. Adding the outside stuff feels like cheating the book.

I mostly agree; I'd take it one step out and include blind Zampano narrating it from time to time. But it would work best as a series, one season, 6-10 episodes. They could even try to frame it like a true documentary, maybe involving found footage of the "explorations".

gently caress, I want a good adaptation of it.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

For someone unfamiliar with House of Leaves why does it keep coming up in here? Is it like a good complement to The Leftovers?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

For someone unfamiliar with House of Leaves why does it keep coming up in here? Is it like a good complement to The Leftovers?

That's mainly my fault that it keeps coming up. It's got a similar 'this is wrong and no one knows why' vibe to it. It's legitimately the only true 'haunted house' story I've ever experienced, as the house itself really is what's haunted. It feels legitimately sinister to me.

If you like the thought of impossible physical geometry almost forcing itself into your world, then check it out. Fair warning, though; there are a LOT of dry spots that have put off friends of mine from reading it, though I was never bored.

Then again, a lot of my friends just don't read, so maybe that's the problem :shobon:

Edit: there's an SCP that's likely based off of it. It's the one with the closet/wardrobe that's bigger on the inside than the outside, by an astounding degree. I misremembered, but it's this one: http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-087

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Apr 26, 2017

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Lord Krangdar posted:

A Damon Lindelof's House of Leaves miniseries is sounding more and more like a potentially good idea, actually.

We already know his next project, though. It's a cop procedural called "Farty Pants and the Dog."

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Matt Zerella posted:

On The Watch Lindelof said they got the idea from someone on the writing staff's aunt (iirc). They just wanted something that was genuinely joyful and fun and an activity rather than :words: about stuff. The idea is weird, the show is weird, and I think it worked.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

That's mainly my fault that it keeps coming up. It's got a similar 'this is wrong and no one knows why' vibe to it. It's legitimately the only true 'haunted house' story I've ever experienced, as the house itself really is what's haunted. It feels legitimately sinister to me.

If you like the thought of impossible physical geometry almost forcing itself into your world, then check it out. Fair warning, though; there are a LOT of dry spots that have put off friends of mine from reading it, though I was never bored.

I just tell people that the meandering, hard to read parts are the book literally becoming a labyrinth, and most people start enjoying it more for the concept alone, even if they don't want to read 6 pages of footnotes about drywall.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
Who is the actress that plays the tower man's wife? Its bugging the crap outta me and IMDB is not helping.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Cithen posted:

Who is the actress that plays the tower man's wife? Its bugging the crap outta me and IMDB is not helping.

Butler

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Cithen posted:

Grace Under Fire.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
^^^
Thanks, 'Grace Under Fire' was a decent show.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Cithen posted:

^^^
Thanks, 'Grace Under Fire' was a decent show.

True, but it was no Perfect Strangers.

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

She was also in the last season but I don't think it was established that she was his wife. She led the group that "crucified" Matt.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

So, I'm wondering if the Nora we see at the end of 301 is post-microwaved Nora? Maybe she tries it, ends up with the 2%?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I'm guessing Kevin microwaves himself and Nora doesn't and that's why she's mad.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Kevin goes on a walkabout in the outback and finds Isaac of Uluru and the show reveals it's been a stealth Lost sequel all along. Kevin ends up the new protector of the island and he can't die because the island won't let him.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

sticklefifer posted:

Kevin goes on a walkabout in the outback and finds Isaac of Uluru and the show reveals it's been a stealth Lost sequel all along. Kevin ends up the new protector of the island and he can't die because the island won't let him.

"And that, kids is how the Internet ended forever."

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
We should be so lucky to have Scorpius turn up.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I just want Efren Salonga to finally return to television.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

So, I'm wondering if the Nora we see at the end of 301 is post-microwaved Nora? Maybe she tries it, ends up with the 2%?

I thought about that too, a world exactly like ours except 98% of people are missing. It's been an idea tossed around a few times a season, I guess we might see

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

sticklefifer posted:

I'd buy that for a dollar!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

herculesrockefeller
Jun 9, 2006
=

• Locked thread