Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The T&C won't be the most reliable thing in the world but other than that it is very good and a good value. Stow-n-Go is a great feature. I would probably buy Big 3 in Detroit as well.

edit: you've already dealt with FCA "quality" so if it hasn't put you off the brand I would definitely go with the T&C

Hahaha. I have had my fair share of stupid problems with my Charger but I've generally been happy with it. Thanks for the advice goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Careful Drums posted:

I have a third kid on the way and I'm thinking its time to sell my Charger for a minivan (I just asked about minivans in the parenting thread).

Proposed Budget: 22k
New or Used: Used, below 80k miles
Body Style: Minivan
How will you be using the car?: Daily driver to work (16 mile round trip) and hauling wife/MIL and three kids around on evenings/weekends.
What aspects are most important to you? Just want to get good bang for the buck and be safe. I really don't care about fancy poo poo like speakers or extra screens. (e.g. reliability, cost of ownership/maintenance, import/domestic, MPG, size, style)
location I live in metro Detroit so the roads kind of suck real bad and sometimes strangers judge you for not buying American.

Where my mind is right now - my mechanic says that Toyota Siennas are the best for maintainability which is cool, but Chrysler/Dodge minivans are in much greater supply and at lower prices. Finding a used Odyssey is really tough. A late-model Kia seems like not a bad idea either, but idk.

We bought a minivan a few years ago (2013). The T&C seemed fairly crude in comparison to the competition at that point. It was getting long in the tooth and was replaced with the Pacifica shortly thereafter. We ended up with an Odyssey and have been very happy with it. Getting one used is difficult, though. People tend to hang onto them.

I remember the Nissan having a huge center console that we found obnoxious. I don't think our Toyota dealer had a Sienna in stock, so we didn't drive one of those. It seems pretty nice, though.

You'll probably find more Siennas than Odysseys on the used lots, and get a better deal. I would recommend either of them.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Careful Drums posted:

Hahaha. I have had my fair share of stupid problems with my Charger but I've generally been happy with it. Thanks for the advice goons.

Problems you can look past in an enthusiast type car you might not look past so easily in a kid-hauling appliance.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

prom candy posted:

Problems you can look past in an enthusiast type car you might not look past so easily in a kid-hauling appliance.

Like the power door breaking twice in 3 years out of warranty requiring multiple hundreds of dollars to fix as happened to a friend who formerly owned a T&C against my advice.

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

prom candy posted:

Eh, yeah. I've been hauling the two kids around in the Charger for over three years now. It did leave us stranded once which kind of sucked.

Deteriorata posted:

We bought a minivan a few years ago (2013). The T&C seemed fairly crude in comparison to the competition at that point. It was getting long in the tooth and was replaced with the Pacifica shortly thereafter. We ended up with an Odyssey and have been very happy with it. Getting one used is difficult, though. People tend to hang onto them.

I remember the Nissan having a huge center console that we found obnoxious. I don't think our Toyota dealer had a Sienna in stock, so we didn't drive one of those. It seems pretty nice, though.

You'll probably find more Siennas than Odysseys on the used lots, and get a better deal. I would recommend either of them.

I'm thinking my strategy will be to favor a Sienna over a T&C or a Grand Caravan. We'll see how shopping goes.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I think the KIA is a reasonable choice. The third row folds down flat and the 2nd row folds forward flush with the front seats so tht you are getting about 85% of the stowngo capability but the actuation is more convenient. It's just two latches to fold the 2nd row forward whereas the SnG needs to move the floormats around. The KIA long warranty is transferrable so you at least shouldn't be out of pocket for a while.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Razzled posted:

Haha was just about to post. Thanks all for the thoughts.

I've cooled on the Jeep and am gonna wait for news on the '18 Crosstrek to come out of NY this week. Supposedly the manual has six gears now which effectively quashes any misgivings I had

Go drive the new Impreza and imagine it 3 inches higher.

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

I narrowed my minivan choices to the Sienna, Pacifica, and Odyssey. I hear the Sedona is nice, but it has less cargo room then the three I mentioned.

My dealer is asking me to trade in my CR-V and claims he has a great trade-in value. I'll humor them but I'm waiting to see the 2018 Odyssey before making a final decision.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
Lazy Friday evening post. One of my bosses, several layers above me, will be leaving the country we're in shortly and is selling a couple of cars. Until recently I've been very happy with my old 2.5ltr petrol Forester. It's a 2007 car, and a little long in the tooth, but a great drive, and it's bumped and knackered enough that I don't mind if someone dings it with a shopping trolley.

My boss is selling two cars - a 2014 2.0 FSI VW Tiguan, and a 2013 Mercedes GLK350. Good prices both, and I think I could get them cheap. Does anyone have any experiences, warnings, caveats, things to look out for? I realise that the GLK is simply not sold in the UK, so reaching out to Johnny Foreigner, here!

The things that might swing it for me is the spec - things that are options in the UK (my home) are often standard in Qatar, and the spec of cars here tends to be very high!

The alternative is Bangernomics, and to run my Subaru for the next few years (our expected stay in Qatar.) Any thoughts? Thanks!

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
There's non way the GLK isn't sold in the UK, it's just called the GLC now, they changed the naming scheme a year or so ago.

I guess the only thing I would say is that Subaru isn't well represented in the Gulf and parts and service might be an issue, especially if you for example want to go driving in the country, and the MB will have an advantage there. That being said if the 10 year old car works for you, I'm not sure the GLk is that much of a step up. I don't find the GLK from that generation to be particularly nice or a standout in any way.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug

Throatwarbler posted:

There's non way the GLK isn't sold in the UK, it's just called the GLC now, they changed the naming scheme a year or so ago.

No, you're right - the GLK was never engineered for the RHD market, but the newer GLC has been/is.

I'm going to see them both tomorrow, and I might just see how low I can screw him on the prices. In the nicest possible way.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Teach posted:

No, you're right - the GLK was never engineered for the RHD market, but the newer GLC has been/is.

I'm going to see them both tomorrow, and I might just see how low I can screw him on the prices. In the nicest possible way.

Well that's crazy, and anyway you're not missing much, it's essentially a C-class, there's nothing special about it or the C-class from that era.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
VW service in the UAE used to be quite expensive though I'm not sure if that's the case in Qatar. Merc service is expensive wherever you go.

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Van shopping update: Test drove a 2014 Sienna L w/ 30k miles this morning. It drove fine, oldest son loved it and (as I was hoping) wanted to sit in the 3rd row. Wife is now sold on getting power doors after checking out the LE, one trim-level up.

The LE was stickered at 21k.

I"m just thinking about pricing now. That 21k is about average sticker for Sienna LEs around. I'm seeing T&Cs sticker for _way_ less, like a 2014 with 50k miles for 16.5k. I'm having a tough time weighing the cost/benefit of the more expensive Toyota vs the less expensive Chrysler.

Toyota pros
More reliable, less expensive to repair

Toyota cons
Sticker price is 3-4k more
Grief from a few fringe family members and strangers for not buying american

Chrysler pros
3-4k less cost up front
More fancy-pants features e.g. Stow n go, uconnect thing, leather seats (I care about none of these things but my wife gushes about them)
Marginally better gas mileage

Chrysler cons
More likely to break and be an expensive pain in the rear end

Any input is appreciated.

e: after posting this and re-reading it, I feel like I would be dumb to not pay 3-4k more for a significantly lower maintenance budget going forward.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
I disagree, I don't think you will see $3-4k of repair/maintenance bills for a 2014 van for quite some time and you'd be financially (and gizmo-wise) better off with the T&C. Leather seats are apparently also easier to clean, I've never owned a vehicle with them and don't have kids.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

See if they'll come down on the Toyota some?

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Michael Scott posted:

I disagree, I don't think you will see $3-4k of repair/maintenance bills for a 2014 van for quite some time and you'd be financially (and gizmo-wise) better off with the T&C. Leather seats are apparently also easier to clean, I've never owned a vehicle with them and don't have kids.

Thanks for the input. The cloth seats in my charger have been absolutely trashed by my kids, despite my detailing attempts.

IRQ posted:

See if they'll come down on the Toyota some?

Yeah, I was thinking about what to offer. KBB price (which I know is at-best a guideline, not a rule) for a 14 Sienna LE w/ 30k ranges from 21.5 to 24k. So no leverage there. But they also clearly have too much inventory (wife and I couldn't find parking when we test drove this morning) at this particular dealership which works in my favor. There's also just lots of used Sienna's available in my area. There's also the part where I can use the dealership's in-house financing which should make them more willing to go down on price.

My best guess for lowest-price-they-would-take is 18k. I'd be okay with that.

Of course, if I can get the price of a Sienna down, I can probably get the price of a T&C down as well.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Careful Drums posted:

Van shopping update: Test drove a 2014 Sienna L w/ 30k miles this morning. It drove fine, oldest son loved it and (as I was hoping) wanted to sit in the 3rd row. Wife is now sold on getting power doors after checking out the LE, one trim-level up.

The LE was stickered at 21k.

I"m just thinking about pricing now. That 21k is about average sticker for Sienna LEs around. I'm seeing T&Cs sticker for _way_ less, like a 2014 with 50k miles for 16.5k. I'm having a tough time weighing the cost/benefit of the more expensive Toyota vs the less expensive Chrysler.

Toyota pros
More reliable, less expensive to repair

Toyota cons
Sticker price is 3-4k more
Grief from a few fringe family members and strangers for not buying american

Chrysler pros
3-4k less cost up front
More fancy-pants features e.g. Stow n go, uconnect thing, leather seats (I care about none of these things but my wife gushes about them)
Marginally better gas mileage

Chrysler cons
More likely to break and be an expensive pain in the rear end

Any input is appreciated.

e: after posting this and re-reading it, I feel like I would be dumb to not pay 3-4k more for a significantly lower maintenance budget going forward.

I prefer the Sienna, I'll be upfront about that, but I don't think the T&C is a bad vehicle, it just isn't as good as the Toyota.

We have family members that own both. One family has the 2011 Sienna XLE I've talked about, another has a 2012 T&C Limited (fully loaded). I've driven and ridden in both vehicles for a fair amount of time. Both vehicles had about 100,000 miles on them when I was last in them.

To my knowledge both cars haven't needed anything other than routine maintenance. Brakes, Tires, Oil Changes, etc. Nothing has put either car in the shop.

After 4-5 years the Toyota has help up much better. The power doors and liftgate still work smoothly, while one of the T&C doors is a bit slow and makes an odd noise. The biggest difference between the cars is the interior trim pieces. The Sienna is rock solid still, the T&C's trim has come loose in several places. Nothing some new clips couldn't fix, if it bothered someone enough.

Overall though both vans are still trucking without much issue past the 100K mark.

I wouldn't think you made a bad decision if you picked up the T&C for 4 or 5K less and spent that money somewhere else.

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

skipdogg posted:

I prefer the Sienna, I'll be upfront about that, but I don't think the T&C is a bad vehicle, it just isn't as good as the Toyota.

We have family members that own both. One family has the 2011 Sienna XLE I've talked about, another has a 2012 T&C Limited (fully loaded). I've driven and ridden in both vehicles for a fair amount of time. Both vehicles had about 100,000 miles on them when I was last in them.

To my knowledge both cars haven't needed anything other than routine maintenance. Brakes, Tires, Oil Changes, etc. Nothing has put either car in the shop.

After 4-5 years the Toyota has help up much better. The power doors and liftgate still work smoothly, while one of the T&C doors is a bit slow and makes an odd noise. The biggest difference between the cars is the interior trim pieces. The Sienna is rock solid still, the T&C's trim has come loose in several places. Nothing some new clips couldn't fix, if it bothered someone enough.

Overall though both vans are still trucking without much issue past the 100K mark.

I wouldn't think you made a bad decision if you picked up the T&C for 4 or 5K less and spent that money somewhere else.

Thanks again for your input. I like when the answer is "you can't really go wrong with either" :)

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Thoughts on the HR-V? My wife is thinking about getting the 6MT or possibly going with the auto (because the 6MT is only available on the lowest trim level.) Is it a good buy? Any other cars in that class she should look at? Seems like the HR-V is the only one with a manual transmission but maybe worth looking at the CX-3 as well anyway? She drives a Civic right now but likes driving my '02 CR-V. I'm hoping to swap that for a smaller car in the next year or so so if she wants to get a bigger car that's fine by me.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Jeep Renegade, Nissan Juke and Subaru Crosstrek can be had with a MT and 4WD.

Itchy Tony Manero
Mar 29, 2010

prom candy posted:

Thoughts on the HR-V?

For what it's worth, my wife and I liked it enough to order a brand new one a couple of weeks ago. We did have a slightly different set of criteria in that we preferred AT over MT and wanted something that would fit the needs of a small family.

Most reviews agree that the CVT's performance is nothing to write home about, and I kinda agree based on my test drive. It's not particularly peppy but perfectly capable of tackling any normal driving situation like a champ, even with the 1.5L 130hp engine they sell over here in Europe. Anyone with an aggressive driving style will probably find the throttle response sluggish though. I'd say definitely take one for a test drive if you haven't yet.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
It's slow but other than that is a pretty decent buy.

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

I have a 2012 Subaru Outback 3.6R. I'm look for basically a luxury Subaru Outback.

Proposed Budget: 60K
New or Used: New
Body Style: Wagon/Crossover/SUV
How will you be using the car?: Daily drive, short commute (<20 miles), some roadtripping
What aspects are most important to you? Quiet, Cargo Area and Power in roughly descending order

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

The new Volvo V90 Cross Country.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

RoastBeef posted:

I have a 2012 Subaru Outback 3.6R. I'm look for basically a luxury Subaru Outback.

How will you be using the car?: Daily drive, short commute (<20 miles), some roadtripping
What aspects are most important to you? Quiet, Cargo Area and Power in roughly descending order

Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT

More realistically, a Porsche Cayenne.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

RoastBeef posted:

Lots of options in the 60K luxury SUV/CUV market. Audi Q5/SQ5, Jaguar F-Pace, multiple BMW and MB options. There's like 30 options out there. Any other criteria you have?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Proposed Budget: under 25k
New or Used: either
Body Style: Small truck or SUV
How will you be using the car?: commuting mostly, going up to the mountains for skiing (2 hour drives), hauling my bike places to ride
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? Definitely want bluetooth, back up camera, and preferably blind spot sensors
What aspects are most important to you? (e.g. reliability, cost of ownership/maintenance, import/domestic, MPG, size, style) Reliability, fun to drive (meaning I want something more fun than a Prius. I like having a little get up and go when entering the freeway, etc.)

I bought a 2015 Mazda 3 hatchback, which has been fine, but the clearance in snow really sucks. It fits my skis and my bike with the back seat down and gets great mileage. So besides the clearance issues in the snow, the other problem is I bought a manual because it was more fun to drive. After having had it for 2 years driving around Boston, stick shift is starting to suck, so I'm looking at trading it in for an automatic with whatever I get.

Right now I'm between a Mazda CX-5 and a Toyota Tacoma, but am open to other cars, new or used, that might fit the bill. The rankings of cars at UsNews sucks because it seems like no vehicle I look at is great at anything. They constantly go back on themselves saying things like "The CX-5 is fun to drive and has great gas mileage, but their reliability looks like it's going to suck. Look at the CR-V for a more reliable vehicle". Then you look at the CR-V and it says that while it has ok gas mileage and is very reliable, it's not fun to drive. Maybe UsNews doesn't go back on themselves, but they definitely seem to go the route of buying a laptop, ie: Cheap, Light, Powerful...pick two.

I only have thought of a Tacoma because I've always wanted one. I had a 2010 Frontier, but I didn't like driving it because it was on the Titan chassis and was a lot bigger than I wanted and a pain in the rear end to park and maneuver, which led me back to wanting a Tacoma. Honestly, something like a Ford Ranger (I had one growing up and it was a tank) or other would be great in that size, though I'd probably get it in an extended cab. I don't see the need for a 4-door truck yet, plus the shorter bed seems useless to me. The CX-5 I'm thinking mainly because it has all the creature comforts my 3 does, but a bit bigger.

Open to any suggestions I'm not thinking of or other places to look at reviews though.

nwin fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Apr 26, 2017

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Proposed Budget: Bout 6k or so. MAYBE more, but not much.
New or Used: HAH, yea, guessing used on this.
Body Style: (e.g. 2 door? 4 door? Compact/Midsize/Fullsize Sedan? Truck? SUV?) Smaller SUV is fine.
How will you be using the car?: Shopping in bulk, might eventually actually haul some lumber or something in there as well, but honestly, just need room to get like paper towels AND toilet paper from costco/sams club in there.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? Bluetooth would be nice. Nav system would be cool but honestly kinda pointless since I don't drive very far too often.
What aspects are most important to you? (e.g. reliability, cost of ownership/maintenance, import/domestic, MPG, size, style) Honestly, I get about 15-17mpg so I'd like something near that, reliability is important. I'd like to get the equivalent of "I put gas in it and it goes" maintenance. I'm pretty sure vehicles in this level of cost don't include "mid life crisis" or "Gonna get so many women", so I'm not worried about sporty.

I've been searching around but I haven't kept up with vehicles. I used to drive a Broncho ][ and it was awesome, but they don't make em anymore.

Any help is appreciated!

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Body Style: (e.g. 2 door? 4 door? Compact/Midsize/Fullsize Sedan? Truck? SUV?) Smaller SUV is fine.
How will you be using the car?: Shopping in bulk, might eventually actually haul some lumber or something in there as well, but honestly, just need room to get like paper towels AND toilet paper from costco/sams club in there.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? Bluetooth would be nice. Nav system would be cool but honestly kinda pointless since I don't drive very far too often.
What aspects are most important to you? (e.g. reliability, cost of ownership/maintenance, import/domestic, MPG, size, style) Honestly, I get about 15-17mpg so I'd like something near that, reliability is important. I'd like to get the equivalent of "I put gas in it and it goes" maintenance. I'm pretty sure vehicles in this level of cost don't include "mid life crisis" or "Gonna get so many women", so I'm not worried about sporty.

I've been searching around but I haven't kept up with vehicles. I used to drive a Broncho ][ and it was awesome, but they don't make em anymore.

Any help is appreciated!

Toyota 4Runner, '96 or newer.

Then take it to a stereo place and spend a couple hundred bucks on a nice Pioneer with nav and bluetooth.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

sex swing from IKEA posted:

Proposed Budget: under 25k
New or Used: either
Body Style: Small truck or SUV
How will you be using the car?: commuting mostly, going up to the mountains for skiing (2 hour drives), hauling my bike places to ride
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? Definitely want bluetooth, back up camera, and preferably blind spot sensors
What aspects are most important to you? (e.g. reliability, cost of ownership/maintenance, import/domestic, MPG, size, style) Reliability, fun to drive (meaning I want something more fun than a Prius. I like having a little get up and go when entering the freeway, etc.)

I bought a 2015 Mazda 3 hatchback, which has been fine, but the clearance in snow really sucks. It fits my skis and my bike with the back seat down and gets great mileage. So besides the clearance issues in the snow, the other problem is I bought a manual because it was more fun to drive. After having had it for 2 years driving around Boston, stick shift is starting to suck, so I'm looking at trading it in for an automatic with whatever I get.

Right now I'm between a Mazda CX-5 and a Toyota Tacoma, but am open to other cars, new or used, that might fit the bill. The rankings of cars at UsNews sucks because it seems like no vehicle I look at is great at anything. They constantly go back on themselves saying things like "The CX-5 is fun to drive and has great gas mileage, but their reliability looks like it's going to suck. Look at the CR-V for a more reliable vehicle". Then you look at the CR-V and it says that while it has ok gas mileage and is very reliable, it's not fun to drive. Maybe UsNews doesn't go back on themselves, but they definitely seem to go the route of buying a laptop, ie: Cheap, Light, Powerful...pick two.

I only have thought of a Tacoma because I've always wanted one. I had a 2010 Frontier, but I didn't like driving it because it was on the Titan chassis and was a lot bigger than I wanted and a pain in the rear end to park and maneuver, which led me back to wanting a Tacoma. Honestly, something like a Ford Ranger (I had one growing up and it was a tank) or other would be great in that size, though I'd probably get it in an extended cab. I don't see the need for a 4-door truck yet, plus the shorter bed seems useless to me. The CX-5 I'm thinking mainly because it has all the creature comforts my 3 does, but a bit bigger.

Open to any suggestions I'm not thinking of or other places to look at reviews though.

Subaru Outback or forester?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

mariooncrack posted:

Subaru Outback or forester?

I've had an outback before-no thanks. Forester might be worth a look though.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Any help is appreciated!

Late 200x Subaru Forester, Honda CR-V, or Mazda Tribute/Ford Escape should do you pretty well. No 10+ year-old car is going to be gas-n-go, but those should all do well. They all should get around 25 mpg, as well.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I forgot to mention in trying to avoid land yachts. I currently drive a 97 ranger, so something with near the same footprint would be awesome.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Guinness posted:

The new Volvo V90 Cross Country.

this is very correct

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

I forgot to mention in trying to avoid land yachts. I currently drive a 97 ranger, so something with near the same footprint would be awesome.

All three vehicles I mentioned are shorter than a Ranger. Forester and CR-V are about 180", the Tribute is about 175".

The 4Runner mentioned earlier is about 190".

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

God. I miss my 97 Ranger so much. What a perfect little truck.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yea, I love mine too. The only real downside to it is the a/c is hosed. Gonna give it to my friend's mom once I get something newer so she can use it as a farm truck. I'd be keeping it if she wasn't in need of a truck, and I wasn't in need of some a/c.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

Unload My Head posted:

Toyota 4Runner, '96 or newer.

Then take it to a stereo place and spend a couple hundred bucks on a nice Pioneer with nav and bluetooth.

If you go this route, I suggest finding one with the 5vz engine, which is ridiculously reliable with proper maintenance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

If you go this route, I suggest finding one with the 5vz engine, which is ridiculously reliable with proper maintenance.

If the OP is in the states they're not going to find a four banger 3rz 4Runner. It's all 5vz.

I'll also second the recommendation of a Forester if you can find one with a head gasket record. It's shorter in length and height, and easier to drive than the Toyota. It's cargo space and rear seat legroom are reduced, but that's how it goes.