Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Count Bleck posted:

More reasons why MTGSalvation is terrible. Man known for excellent Merfolk content posts a discussion video about Soul-Scar Mage and Harsh Mentor gets banned because someone flagged his post for solicitation followed up with some playful jabs at his tude.

He even mentions MTGS is a terrible shithole.

It looks like his post was a clickbaity Proper Case title and a link to a YouTube video and nothing else. That'd earn a mocking and probably a probation here as well.

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

From here: http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/159965784898/i-have-to-be-honest-after-the-coco-emrakul-and

Does Rosewater understand that sometimes it's better to just...not say anything? He cites a bunch of legitimate issues (complexity of design for multiple formats, time issues, balance and power level, etc) and yet still manages to just dig the hole deeper with a whiffed "perfect is the enemy of good" argument.

CoCo and Emrakul were such easy problems to identify though. Don't let cards put creatures into play for free anymore, don't print massive built-in cost reductions on game-ending cards anymore; these are lessons that R&D keeps ignoring time after time. Smuggler's Copter was obvious as well with comparisons to equipment, as was almost worse. I could almost give them a pass on missing the Cat combo because it's a little more nuanced by comparison. It needs two whole cards!

:tinfoil: : The reason it's not banned is probably because the suits don't want new players opening cards they're "not allowed" to play with. They'll never admit it. Watch it be banned when Amonkhet's release pushes Kaladesh further out of the range of packs a new player might buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Collected Company should have raised flags in R&D for sure. It's better than Fact or Fiction and that's a card that is Too Good For Standard as seen by a bunch of similar but worse cards coming out of the pipeline in recent years. If nothing else it should have been a sorcery instead of an instant.

Emrakul is easier to forgive since it still costs 8-9 mana even with a high delirium count.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

whydirt posted:

Collected Company should have raised flags in R&D for sure. It's better than Fact or Fiction and that's a card that is Too Good For Standard as seen by a bunch of similar but worse cards coming out of the pipeline in recent years. If nothing else it should have been a sorcery instead of an instant.

Emrakul is easier to forgive since it still costs 8-9 mana even with a high delirium count.

With a win the game cast trigger with the next set having a cast a dude for 0 artifact.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Collected company and every other powerful cards in standard shouldn't be classified as mistakes. I feel like that is a poor way to look at it. Powerful new cards will always have a place in a the game. Its the much weaker cards on average they pair them with in a set that are the mistakes.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

whydirt posted:

Emrakul costs nine with exactly Delirium. The problem is that getting six types in the yard isn't particularly difficult, and seven mana for Emrakul is clearly too little. It wasn't rare to have a full seven card types in the yard for Marvel. She either needed to just cost 15 so that a full yard in standard only brings it down to costing eight mana, or there should have been a cap on the cost reduction.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

Sickening posted:

Collected company and every other powerful cards in standard shouldn't be classified as mistakes. I feel like that is a poor way to look at it. Powerful new cards will always have a place in a the game. Its the much weaker cards on average they pair them with in a set that are the mistakes.

Yeah the lesson shouldn't be that powerful cards are bad or dangerous. It should be that making a ton of weak cards while Pushing These Cards In Particular That We Deem "Important" is bad and dumb.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

ThePeavstenator posted:

Yeah the lesson shouldn't be that powerful cards are bad or dangerous. It should be that making a ton of weak cards while Pushing These Cards In Particular That We Deem "Important" is bad and dumb.

Definitely. Whoever decided that cards needed to be "pushed" at all hosed up the balance of the format.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Richard Garfield?

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
My possibly bad opinion is that collected company would have been totally fine in standard if not for reflector mage and spell queller.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Sickening posted:

Definitely. Whoever decided that cards needed to be "pushed" at all hosed up the balance of the format.

It is kinda odd that they go on and on about making a format deep enough that they can't solve it themselves then seed cards that are head and shoulders above the rest. Like, do you want the rest of them to be eclipsed or what?

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

uninverted posted:

My possibly bad opinion is that collected company would have been totally fine in standard if not for reflector mage and spell queller.
It's an entirely fair card in a standard lacking such swingy ETB triggers.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Veyrall posted:

It's an entirely fair card in a standard lacking such swingy ETB triggers.

Yeah people that complained about Collected Company are often the same people who complained about Thoughtseize. The card itself is fine, it just had a bunch of stuff that already was good that pushed it over the edge. Spell Queller and Reflector Mage would have been in a UW deck with or without Collected Company in the same way Pack Rat was going to do work with or without Thoughtseize clearing the way.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

It is kinda odd that they go on and on about making a format deep enough that they can't solve it themselves then seed cards that are head and shoulders above the rest. Like, do you want the rest of them to be eclipsed or what?

They want their shiny new card types to be played in tournaments or their friends writing story to get some of the spotlight. Also they don't want too many powerful cards below rare because that will ruin limited or something.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

uPen posted:

With a win the game cast trigger with the next set having a cast a dude for 0 artifact.

If everything Mark's said has been right, the original block order was Eldrich Moon-Amonkhet-Kaladesh, and that was planned when there would have been no overlap between the two due to the shortened standard season. (I think? Or half a block, w/e)

Then the blocks got rearranged, standard's timeframe changed again and welp here we are.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Either they knew they would change rotation again and didn't plan for it, or they decided to change rotation without evaluating what it would do to their 2 year dev cycle. Either way they look incompetent.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

How do I make the best of this?
Temur Tower. Show those haters wrong! :v:

Even more comedy option: 80s James Hetfield's turbofog.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
"The only thing that was keeping UW Flash starring Smuggler's Copter from being the best/only deck in standard was Smuggler's Copter." -dumbass self-proclaimed Professional Magic Player Zach Reiff, explaining why WOTC banned 8 cards from UW Flash.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Siivola posted:

Temur Tower. Show those haters wrong! :v:

Even more comedy option: 80s James Hetfield's turbofog.

It's really just a fun deck that can hang with the Tier 1 poo poo because nobody expects it or has sideboard answers for it.

Haze of Pollen from AKH takes the spot of Encircling Fissure now.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

If everything Mark's said has been right, the original block order was Eldrich Moon-Amonkhet-Kaladesh

Really? I haven't seen that mentioned before.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Count Bleck posted:

More reasons why MTGSalvation is terrible. Man known for excellent Merfolk content posts a discussion video about Soul-Scar Mage and Harsh Mentor gets banned because someone flagged his post for solicitation followed up with some playful jabs at his tude.

He even mentions MTGS is a terrible shithole.

After watching that video i'm pretty sure a whiny rear end in a top hat got warned for doing something that almost every online forum that gives a poo poo about quality of content disallows, then doubled down by responding with snark. Pretty sure he'd get banned here for the same behavior, regardless of whether or not he was a quality contributor on other boards.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

If everything Mark's said has been right, the original block order was Eldrich Moon-Amonkhet-Kaladesh, and that was planned when there would have been no overlap between the two due to the shortened standard season. (I think? Or half a block, w/e)

Then the blocks got rearranged, standard's timeframe changed again and welp here we are.

that swap would have happened early in design, long before they make any Standard-relevant cards.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Is there anything other than Pithing needle and uncounterable removal that can deal with Modern Ad Nauseum in mono red? Because I'm at a loss how to deal with this poo poo without counterspells or hand disruption.

Specifically 8 whack.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

They were already into some sort of design when they swapped: http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/amonkhet-down-business-part-1-2017-04-03

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Xaerael posted:

Is there anything other than Pithing needle and uncounterable removal that can deal with Modern Ad Nauseum in mono red? Because I'm at a loss how to deal with this poo poo without counterspells or hand disruption.

Specifically 8 whack.

Somehow bait them into casting pact of negation and ricochet trap it?

Best just killing them before they go off which shouldn't be difficult as an aggro deck.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Wurzag posted:

Somehow bait them into casting pact of negation and ricochet trap it?

Best just killing them before they go off which shouldn't be difficult as an aggro deck.

Round one is usually fine, but once they stack their deck with Darkness and such postboard, it gets tricky. Maybe I'm thinking about it the wrong way and trying to answer the wrong cards, and should be working something in that stops damage prevention?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

I remember reading that Shadows Over Innistrad was supposed to release closer to Halloween, but that may have been an early swap.

Magic design in general seems to be going through some ugly transitional period right now. I'm pretty confident they'll come out on the other side okay, and it might start with Hour of Devastation if what they said about noticing problems with the new Standard rotation (specifically regarding the Gatewatch planeswalkers) is true.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Xaerael posted:

Specifically 8 whack.

The problem is your playing a goofy SaffronOlive that only works online in queues where he matches up against random people.

He never actually plays any of those against the odds or budget magic decks in tournament rooms.

People bring his standard/modern decks all the time to FNM and wonder why they don't work like they do in his videos

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

80s James Hetfield posted:

The problem is your playing a goofy SaffronOlive that only works online in queues where he matches up against random people.

He never actually plays any of those against the odds or budget magic decks in tournament rooms.

People bring his standard/modern decks all the time to FNM and wonder why they don't work like they do in his videos

Mr.Turbofog is right, you have to bring a deck that is tested in the meta to have a chance. Take your funhaving, nonsense budget deck somewhere else.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Modern is probably the best format right now for playing whatever the hell you want, but a mono-red deck like that has very few ways to interact with the stack, your opponent's hand, or anything that you can't get rid of with damage. It's probably a lousy matchup in the first place, hell I have trouble with Ad Nauseum when I'm playing RG Breach and that's an actual deck.

Needle is the best thing that springs to mind right now but keep a burn spell or two up in case they're also running Lab Maniac. A guy at my store runs both wincons, one MB and one SB.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Cactrot posted:

Mr.Turbofog is right, you have to bring a deck that is tested in the meta to have a chance. Take your funhaving, nonsense budget deck somewhere else.

It wasn't intended to be a slam but it's pretty true. I was speaking more to the point of people that bring his decks to events and wonder why they don't do well against many of the "known decks"

Sorry to have misconstrued that, I even tried his one Modern UW Draw/Mill deck from like last summer but the second someone drops a chalice on 1 you lose and there is no way around it so it was pointless to keep playing it

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
The R/g version of bushwacker zoo is perfectly fine and puts up results randomly at larger events. If your opponent is boarding in darkness then you at least have Atarka's Command.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

80s James Hetfield posted:

It wasn't intended to be a slam but it's pretty true. I was speaking more to the point of people that bring his decks to events and wonder why they don't do well against many of the "known decks"

Sorry to have misconstrued that, I even tried his one Modern UW Draw/Mill deck from like last summer but the second someone drops a chalice on 1 you lose and there is no way around it so it was pointless to keep playing it

"Play what you like and don't worry about the meta"
"Play the meta"

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
People LOVE to bitch about standard how matter how good/bad the format is. Lots of crying wolf.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Xaerael posted:

Specifically 8 whack.

Its just a hard matchup. Your opponents fog cards kind of wreck you. Through some leyline of punishment in your sideboard as a 4 of. Its fun and it might help in these situations.

Its also useful in other matchups but the main point its unexpected and fun, which is the point of your deck.

mcmagic posted:

People LOVE to bitch about standard how matter how good/bad the format is. Lots of crying wolf.

Yes, we get that you have somehow really enjoyed standard over the past year. I am sure more people wish standard was better because we want to play it, like me for example.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Apr 26, 2017

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Xaerael posted:

Specifically 8 whack.

To disrupt Ad Nauseam you need to be attacking their hand or their mana. Artifact Hate or Molten Rains are your best bet.

Pithing needle is ok but they can still win through it (either through Lab Maniac or Echoing Truth on the needle). Both of these kills more mana, so needle is just slowing them down a bit. Be wary of playing any sideboard hate that doesn't stop them from drawing their whole deck, most likely there is a card in the 75 that beats your sideboard hate.

Run Smash to Smithereens or Molten Rain if you want but don't dilute your Plan A too much. If you have a ton of sideboard hate but no clock, you're probably less favored then if you just have a fast goldfish kill. Don't run needle, both players sitting around doing nothing does not favor you.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Anyone else planning on playing shirtless at FNM to protest the top ban?

They can't ignore us then!!!

Oh god, please don't do this.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Sickening posted:

Its just a hard matchup. Your opponents fog cards kind of wreck you. Through some leyline of punishment in your sideboard as a 4 of. Its fun and it might help in these situations.

Its also useful in other matchups but the main point its unexpected and fun, which is the point of your deck.

I don't think this does anything, as neither Angel's Grace or Phyrexian unlife are damage prevention effects.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sickening posted:

Yes, we get that you have somehow really enjoyed standard over the past year. I am sure more people wish standard was better because we want to play it, like me for example.

The previous standard format (before AHK) wasn't good. But people bitched about it in the same way they bitched about previous formats that were more widely liked. It's just become a "thing" to bitch about standard..

Sickening posted:

What does this do vs Ad Nauseam?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Cactrot posted:

I don't think this does anything, as neither Angel's Grace or Phyrexian unlife are damage prevention effects.

mcmagic posted:

The previous standard format (before AHK) wasn't good. But people bitched about it in the same way they bitched about previous formats that were more widely liked. It's just become a "thing" to bitch about standard..

What does this do vs Ad Nauseam?

It stops the fogs out of the board.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

mcmagic posted:

This is certainly true, but as someone who rarely bitches about Standard, this past season was the least fun I've had in the 8 years I've been playing the format. Cawblade standard was more diverse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sickening posted:

It stops the fogs out of the board.

I would rather play Skullcrack than this. It's SUCH a miserable topdeck for a wack deck.