Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tom Perez B/K/M?
This poll is closed.
B 77 25.50%
K 160 52.98%
M 65 21.52%
Total: 229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Nevvy Z posted:

You are right. Ex president's should be killed on leaving office to prevent their future corruption.

Are you loving dumb or something? Do you not realize that people make decisions considering years and years ahead? Just because he wasn't instantly gratified (perhaps, or at least in full) doesn't mean the prospect of future horizons wasn't skewing his rationality. Based on your logic children shouldn't go to school because they can only reap the benefits of education after leaving school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Nevvy Z posted:

Agreed, clearly pure logic will solve this conundrum

You are right. Ex president's should be killed on leaving office to prevent their future corruption.

they'd have to finish obama off p quick if they wanted to do that. how long did it take him to jet off to billionare island? the day he stepped out of office?

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Nevvy Z posted:

The alternative to paid wall street speeches is death. That's quite a hot take.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I remember when Harry Truman committed seppuku the afternoon he left office because obviously it's otherwise physically impossible to keep from cavorting with aristocrats and oligarchs

quote:

When Harry Truman left the White House in 1953, historian David McCullough records, "he had no income or support of any kind from the federal government other than his Army pension of $112.56 a month. He was provided with no government funds for secretarial help or office space, not a penny of expense money." One of the reasons Truman and his wife moved back into their far-from-elegant old house in Independence, Missouri, "was that financially they had little other choice." Nevertheless, Truman refused to cash in on his celebrity and influence as a former president. He turned down lucrative offers, such as the one from a Florida real-estate developer inviting him to become "chairman, officer, or stockholder, at a figure of not less than $100,000." He would not make commercial endorsements, accept "consulting" fees, or engage in lobbying. "I could never lend myself to any transaction, however respectable," Truman later wrote, "that would commercialize on the prestige and dignity of the office of the presidency." He did sell the rights to his memoirs for a handsome sum to Life magazine. But he turned down every other enticement to trade on his former position for private gain.
Such post-presidential avarice might be more understandable if presidents were still leaving office the way Truman did, with nothing from the taxpayers but a fond farewell. But that hasn't been the case since the passage of the Former Presidents Act in 1958. Today former presidents receive a lavish pension — $186,000, increased yearly — payable as soon as they depart the White House, regardless of their age. In addition, former chief executives are granted hundreds of thousands of dollars in annual staff, office and travel allowances. For fiscal year 2007, Clinton will receive approximately $1.16 million from the U.S. Treasury — his telephone stipend alone will come to $77,000. All former presidents are also entitled to free, round-the-clock Secret Service protection for themselves and their families. The cost of providing security for previous "first families" is estimated at $20 million a year. According to the National Taxpayers Union, Clinton will reap a lifetime pension payout of more than $7 million, assuming a normal lifespan. The senior George Bush can expect to bank more than $3 million; for Carter, the total will likely top $4 million. Clearly the age when former presidents could find themselves in dire financial straits is long gone. Sadly, so is the sense of integrity and propriety that once kept men like Truman from devoting their post-presidency to money- grubbing. It wasn't only the buck that stopped with the 33d president. The avarice did, too.

Enough with these bloodthirsty demands of integrity from current and former federal officials, you monsters!

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
Hmm bad Dems are implying that their politicians are above normal human desires and should be free from judgment accordingly.

I wonder why people thought they were out of touch?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

VitalSigns posted:

I remember when Harry Truman committed seppuku the afternoon he left office because obviously it's otherwise physically impossible to keep from cavorting with aristocrats and oligarchs

Enough with these bloodthirsty demands of integrity from current and former federal officials, you monsters!

truman was racist though, so not taking big wads of cash from donors is probably racist too

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE posted:

Hmm bad Dems are implying that their politicians are above normal human desires

Where's that happening? Making money is a pretty normal human desire.

Once his term is over his decisions are made. You can go on and on about how those decisions must have been influenced by the money he just got, but if he hadn't accepted that money those decisions don't retroactively change. So, turns out Obama was never a true leftist. Shock. Horror. Or he was but he took money anyway. What are you gonna do, vote for a Republican about it?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Nevvy Z posted:

Once his term is over his decisions are made. You can go on and on about how those decisions must have been influenced by the money he just got, but if he hadn't accepted that money those decisions don't retroactively change. So, turns out Obama was never a true leftist. Shock. Horror. Or he was but he took money anyway. What are you gonna do, vote for a Republican about it?

Thank you for informing us of poo poo that's been comletely obvious since at least 2011.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
That's a hot take! Better let off all white collar criminals because their decisions have been made and we won't be able to retroactively change them!

Nobody is asking to prosecute Obama, we are just observing behavior of politicians and trying to draw lessons for the future, and even this seems to existentially threaten you. Are you asking us to ignore things that are happening because they are in the past, and nobody should care about the past, or what the hell is even your point anymore.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

centrists: it's ok if obama takes the money cause he already committed the crime and making him not take the money won't fix anything

amazing. i wonder if politicians getting legal rewards for corruption has any corrupting influence at all

no, that's not possible

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Nevvy Z posted:

I'm not personally going to vote Republican about it, but if the Democrats consistently cast themselves as the party of the wealthy and powerful then other people might vote Republican about it, reducing the Democratic party to an ineffective token opposition party at basically all levels of government in the United States. I realize that Democratic politicians don't much care about being reduced to a token opposition party so long as they retain their wealth and power, but people who care about actually doing good in this world should probably care.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Nevvy Z posted:

What are you gonna do, vote for a Republican about it?

Lose an election to Donald Trump

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Conversations like this are why the Democrats are currently less popular than Trump. At least he pretends that corruption is a bad thing.

Edit: Holy poo poo he actually said "What are you going to do? Vote Republican?" unironically. Nevy you DO realize that for most of the country (who only think about politics once every 2-4 years) that's a perfectly valid option right?

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Apr 26, 2017

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

twodot posted:

I'm not personally going to vote Republican about it, but if the Democrats consistently cast themselves as the party of the wealthy and powerful then other people might vote Republican about it,

I don't think we can hold the former president's personal life accountable to every idiot who gets huffy about what he does after office, nor should he.

readingatwork posted:

Conversations like this are why the Democrats are currently less popular than Trump. At least he pretends that corruption is a bad thing.

:rolleyes: corruption :rolleyes:

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

centrists: democrats writing legislation based on the highest bidder and favoring their donors to the detriment of the country is something we want to encourage!! obama's a great example and we want more dems that throw the public good under the bus for heaps of $$$$$!!

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Nevvy Z posted:

I don't think we can hold the former president's personal life accountable to every idiot who gets huffy about what he does after office, nor should he.

If only the American people agreed with you

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Nevvy Z posted:

I certainly can. You see, I care about the consequences of actions, and if Obama's personal life dooms the United States to Republican rule in an entirely foreseeable way, then I can and will hold him accountable for that. If you don't want to be held accountable for the consequences of your actions so probably shouldn't do things like "be the literal President of the United States of America for 8 years".

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Realtalk though, the idea that democrats can still take their base for granted has easily of skyrocketed to the dumbest take ITT. It's like bad dems are literally literally incapable of learning.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

centrists: obama's not corrupt! chief justice roberts (D) said you have to prove explicit quid-pro-quo for that!! what are you, a republican!?!

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Lets pretend Wall St. would be cutting Obama big checks if he sent them to prison and signed regulations that had teeth in it.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Poor little president, being subject to the mildest possible form of public scrutiny. poor innocent face of one of two political parties being held by the public to a standard of conduct so low it takes effort to sneak below it.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

NewForumSoftware posted:

If only the American people agreed with you

I believe the American people elected Donald Trump so... uh?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The last time people said what are you going to do vote Republican about it, Donald Trump got elected. This almost certainly isn't going to matter much unless Obama really makes a habit out of it but it's certainly not a good look.

Personally I find any politician getting $400,000 speaking gigs to be gross so I'd have no problem if they stopped doing that altogether.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Apr 26, 2017

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Maybe dems should spend less time congratulating each other for the sweet gigs they got and more time connecting with the electorate. Political parties aren't supposed to be power networking clubs for exclusive cliques of leaders the last time I checked a dictionary.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Nevvy Z posted:

Once his term is over his decisions are made. You can go on and on about how those decisions must have been influenced by the money he just got, but if he hadn't accepted that money those decisions don't retroactively change. So, turns out Obama was never a true leftist. Shock. Horror.

We don't want future current and future politicians to be swayed by the promise of free money after they retire if their tenure pleases Wall Street enough to be rewarded with it.

Nevvy Z posted:

Or he was but he took money anyway. What are you gonna do, vote for a Republican about it?

I will never vote for a Republican, I would have still voted Democrat if Obama had dick-slapped me and Hillary had taken a dump on my rug while cackling to each other that they can get away with anything because Republicans want to electrocute the gay out of me.

On the other hand not everyone is like me, so maybe we should try to win instead of telling voters to gently caress off.

E: in other words

Radish posted:

The last time people said what are you going to do vote Republican about it, Donald Trump got elected.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

VitalSigns posted:

We don't want future current and future politicians to be swayed by the promise of free money after they retire if their tenure pleases Wall Street enough to be rewarded with it.

I will never vote for a Republican, I would have still voted Democrat if Obama had dick-slapped me and Hillary had taken a dump on my rug while cackling to each other that they can get away with anything because Republicans want to electrocute the gay out of me.

On the other hand not everyone is like me, so maybe we should try to win instead of telling voters to gently caress off.

E: in other words

centrists hope for a world where being a politician is about fulfilling your self-interest first, and maybe making the government function second.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
It's funny that Dems are such big fans of Hamilton, a show where even the appearance of financial impropriety is so undesirable that the main character confesses to adultery in a public forum rather than be accused of it

Hail Mr. Satan! fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Apr 26, 2017

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

Nevvy Z posted:

What are you gonna do, vote for a Republican about it?

Implying we're not allowed to feel upset about corruption when Democrats do it.

Guess we should just suck it up and look the other way.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

steinrokkan posted:

Poor little president, being subject to the mildest possible form of public scrutiny. poor innocent face of one of two political parties being held by the public to a standard of conduct so low it takes effort to sneak below it.

There isn't a big enough rolleyes emote in the world for how dumb this is. Only the whiney leftists in this thread seem to care, and a bunch of people who go "but we can't let the leftists be sad, trump won"

Mister Fister posted:

Implying we're not allowed to feel upset corruption when Democrats do it.

Guess we should just suck it up and look the other way.

Implying that anyone calling this corruption is a big ol loving moron

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It's funny dems salivate so much about the dignity of the office, then just dismiss former elected officials whoring out the name of their office as glorified marketing spokesmen for various conferences and poo poo.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Nevvy Z posted:

But would you say it's a Nothingburger?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I love in D.C and I still can't believe none of the local hipster restaurants serve a Nothingburger.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Nevvy Z posted:

There isn't a big enough rolleyes emote in the world for how dumb this is. Only the whiney leftists in this thread seem to care, and a bunch of people who go "but we can't let the leftists be sad, trump won"

If nobody cares, why are you here caring so loudly?

E: Let me check the front page of Google news... Oh, you are right, nobody cares!

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Nevvy Z posted:

Mmmm

Morning Consult posted:

Sixty-four percent of the electorate who was surveyed had heard of the calls for Clinton to release the transcripts, and the same percentage of voters said those transcripts should be released. Only 19 percent said they should not, while 17 percent said they had no opinion.

Nearly half of Democrats (47 percent) believe Clinton should release the transcripts, along with 67 percent of independents and 80 percent of Republicans.
https://morningconsult.com/2016/06/...s-poll-results/

Either "whiny leftists" are 47 percent of Democrats, 67 percent of Independents, and 64 percent of the electorate overall (in which case holy poo poo we need to do what they want or never win again), or a lot of people outside the Whiny Left™ care about it (in which case holy poo poo why are we pissing off 64% of the entire electorate for no benefit?)

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

why can't you ungrateful idiots understand the ultra-wealthy just wanted to show obama their gratitude for running the country so well? he didn't do them any favors, and he even taxxed (!!!!) them more so he could help the poor get healthcare, but they didn't mind. they wanted to show their appreciation for his wonderous presidency with a long relaxing trip to a beautiful island, and with some speaking engagements, but you drat leftists have tainted it with your slanderous rumors of corruption!! :qq:

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Nevvy Z posted:

He's not a politician anymore.

Yeah, it really doesn't matter man. It is very obvious what is happening, and yes our poo poo does in fact stink.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

VitalSigns posted:

Either "whiny leftists" are 47 percent of Democrats, 67 percent of Independents, and 64 percent of the electorate overall (in which case holy poo poo we need to do what they want or never win again), or a lot of people outside the Whiny Left™ care about it (in which case holy poo poo why are we pissing off 64% of the entire electorate for no benefit?)

This seems to be about HRC. but then your link doesn't work so I can't be sure.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

Nevvy Z posted:

Again, if Obama pulled and Iceland and sent bankers to jail/instituted regulations with real teeth, hell even broke up the banks, do you think wall st would be cutting him checks? This question only works if you're being honest with yourself.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Just pragmatically speaking Nevvy Z: could you describe the counterbalancing benefits we receive from accepting Wall Street paydays that look so untrustworthy to half our party and two-thirds of independents that they refuse to take us at our word and demand transcripts of our speeches?

Any benefit at all. Preferably one big enough to be worth this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
You don't have to frame it as corruption to understand why a regulator and redistributor being BFF with the people he is meant to be regulating and whose money he is meant to be redistributing is Bad News for the public.

• Locked thread