Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

uber_stoat posted:

skulls for the skull pit. hooray.

I think I am going to get Purified myself pretty soon. my aggressive neighbor is a fanatical purifier who has somehow gotten a hold of FE level tech and ships. rolling around with titans and endgame weapons. no clue where the hell he got it. Overwhelming x 3 in the power rankings.

The local xenophobic FE probably liked the cut of his jive, after being told that he would cleanse him in nuclear he'll fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

GunnerJ posted:

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/856862182025330689

Looks like the dream of non-militarist Fanatic Purifiers is coming true.
Repugnant Xenophile room. "I love you guys so much I dug up your honoured dead and mounted them on my wall :3:"

Huszsersvn
Nov 11, 2009

Nice world you've got here. Shame if anything were to happen to it.

"No, you see, the skulls are good. If skulls were bad, why does everyone have one?"

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

I managed to get an army stuck in the void of space somehow.

I had one landed on a planet which I embarked to merge with a new army I had made and then they just straight up disappeared. They're still in the Outlier but they don't have a name any more, and they can't be selected or zoomed to. They're just gone, and I'm really not sure why.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

Also, be aware that the tech you need for gene modding is locked behind Cloning, which is easy to skip because it's so useless otherwise.
Similarly, megastructure construction seems to be locked behind Fortress tech. Which I guess makes sense, but I suspect most people aren't exactly rushing military base techs and that's part of why it seems to come in so late.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

Huszsersvn posted:

"No, you see, the skulls are good. If skulls were bad, why does everyone have one?"

Look at this verbetranormative post.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Asimo posted:

Similarly, megastructure construction seems to be locked behind Fortress tech. Which I guess makes sense, but I suspect most people aren't exactly rushing military base techs and that's part of why it seems to come in so late.
Megastructures and Destroyers and Zero Point Power, none of which is exposed to the user.

e: The base weight is 3. If you don't have a voidcraft or curator scientist there's a x0.25 penalty, and if you have the the master builder's perk, which is only useful if you can already build megastructures, it increases the chance x2. In total you end up with a weighting of (drumroll) 6, where most techs are 45+. Even the repeatables are 12.5. Realistically unless you've already completely tapped out the Engineering tree (and enough of the Physics tree to get ZPP) you're never going to roll Megastructures... unless you already have a megastructure, somehow, in which case the weighting is multiplied by 20.

Probably the people seeing it all the time are a) people who've completed the Cybrex chain, found the Preserve, or eaten an FE and b) people who've taken PSC and burned through the tech tree in double time.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Apr 26, 2017

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Danny Glands posted:

Okay, getting ready to do a LP of Utopia here, what fix mods should I place in it?

None. Do it straight or not at all, given it's the first one here. Let it be seen, warts and all.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
So the Unbidden arrived, and the other two extra-dimentionals spawned pretty much at the same time. Seems like they destroyed each other's portals, as well as wiping out an entire quadrant.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
Also turns out massing Destroyers with Kinetic Artillery is insanely good against the Unbidden. Until they get close, that is.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Bloodly posted:

None. Do it straight or not at all, given it's the first one here. Let it be seen, warts and all.

Theres a few simple bugfix mods everyone should be running, no?

Also its not a fix but he should obviously be using Awful Utopia and its dependencies (make sure to get the namelist)

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

Huszsersvn posted:

"Hans...are we the fanatic purifiers?"

I certainly am. :shepicide:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
It would actually be nice if Fanatic Purifiers worked with Syncretic Evolution and they just added a special exception so that both of those species counted as the same species due to familiarity.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
It would also be nice if Fanatic Purifiers' unity gain from purging was actually implemented, armageddon bombardment worked properly and could kill pops, and xenos being purged didn't count as free as far as ethics attraction is concerned.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

On that note though, playing as fanatic purifiers in a max ai, insane, aggressive galaxy sure is fun.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

GlyphGryph posted:

Theres a few simple bugfix mods everyone should be running, no?

There's "Risa's fixes" at the very least.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Taear posted:

I know I asked this earlier and nobody replied but is anyone else having weird issues getting aliens to move to their territory?

They're full citizenship when we sign the migration pact but then later (much later) when I absorbed their empires they all showed "Resident" and I had to re-do them even though my default is full citizenship with migration rights. I don't get it. My Gaia world was a land of opportunity and I had 4 migration treaties and nothing at all happened.

But now they're properly part of my empire they're moving normally.

I posted quite a while back but I've only managed to play one game with Utopia, and in that game I signed migration treaties with like four other empires and saw zero migrants from them. I think something is broken there, because I had plenty of nice worlds with empty tiles where they could surely be happy with high habitability. That's with Alien Visitor Centers and Land of Opportunity and everything.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Staltran posted:

xenos being purged didn't count as free as far as ethics attraction is concerned.

Wait, it does that even when you are killing them instead of just deporting them? :argh: I figured that was just a balance for Displacement purges not incurring diplomatic penalties but welp, maybe it's just a bug.

Oh, well, I guess I need to have ONE faction that hates me and will hate me forever, the others are all at least 60% happy (and much bigger so I am not actually worried).

As an aside it would be cool if foreign empires could support factions within your empire (whether they agree with them ideologically or maybe just want to gently caress with you), but that's obvious enough that it's probably going to be in some later patch.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Apr 26, 2017

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

PittTheElder posted:

What's your fleet composition like? How are you engaging them?

Because so much of their fleet is built for ranged engagements, a pretty sure way to beat them is to fly 10 corvettes into their space to draw aggro, then have those corvettes retreat to a system where the rest of your fleet is waiting. When the FE/AE fleet jumps in, you get to fight them at point-blank range, and a fleet that is built on kinetic and plasma weapons (as all good fleets are) will absolutely shred them, even at a fleet power disadvantage. In my last game my 175k fleet took down 230k in exchange for about 20k in losses.
huh, interesting. does KA/plasma work better than energy torpedoes and plasma? I've been relying pretty heavily on the latter combo.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I still love the story of the one goon who discovered an AI slowly depopulating surrounding planets by having migration treaties and then purging everyone who came to its gaia world

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Soup du Journey posted:

huh, interesting. does KA/plasma work better than energy torpedoes and plasma? I've been relying pretty heavily on the latter combo.

Torpedoes on corvettes are fine, but you want your cruisers to be full of plasma and one or two flak batteries, as KA on your battleships plus energy torpedoes on faster corvettes will strip the shields of their fleet before you get to them. I actually prefer autocannons on corvettes, as they're good at taking down shields and doing damage when the shield is down.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

I still maintain that stacking autocannons on everything is the coolest way to do it, combined with jumping the really easy to predict ai into close combat fights at the end of ftl.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

A Tartan Tory posted:

I still maintain that stacking autocannons on everything is the coolest way to do it, combined with jumping the really easy to predict ai into close combat fights at the end of ftl.

Agreed.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Asimo posted:

I feel like there shouldn't be discreet techs for military stations and habitats and such, but rather a generalized tiered system for "station" sized, "fortress" sized, and larger structures. Probably tied to starport sizes?

I really feel like Habitats shouldn't come so late, but also should start out kinda lame and only become the science/energy powerhouses they are later in the game.

Like, maybe we could build different levels of habitats, similarly to how there are varied sizes of planets?

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

LogisticEarth posted:

I feel like there shouldn't be discreet techs for military stations and habitats and such, but rather a generalized tiered system for "station" sized, "fortress" sized, and larger structures. Probably tied to starport sizes?

I really feel like Habitats shouldn't come so late, but also should start out kinda lame and only become the science/energy powerhouses they are later in the game.

Like, maybe we could build different levels of habitats, similarly to how there are varied sizes of planets?

That is a great idea, and sounds like it could be the genesis of a very popular mod that is eventually incorporated into the base game via a DLC down the line.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I don't have the base game installed right now, but is there still no official way to see what new techs will unlock if you complete research project X? That seems like a weird design choice given paradox games are usually so transparent about this.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

LogisticEarth posted:

Habitats are insanely good, letting you build them larger would make them absolutely game breaking. They are almost borderline broken as is.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Danny Glands posted:

Okay, getting ready to do a LP of Utopia here, what fix mods should I place in it?
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=903292662 <- makes it possible to research the omega theory
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=707297106 <- all the leviathan stuff spawns in every game
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=686276531 <- multiple crisis
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=791076030 <- most essential!

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
use the parrot mod that wiz hates

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Aggree on habitats. As they are now they are very good and make a big difference when they become available. Not sure I want to fiddle with dingy little air bubbles containing all of 4 tiles.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Skull background: have to say I'm not feeling it. It looks like a trophy room, but it's no pit of skulls. It's not scary. I want to see a full Czech ossuary, shaped into a throne for preference. Actually, if you could convey an indefinitely large megachamber of doom that would be great too.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

deathbagel posted:

Habitats are insanely good, letting you build them larger would make them absolutely game breaking. They are almost borderline broken as is.

Which is why I said early structures should start out worse than the current habitats and only build up to their current utility by the end game.

They should be a way to maybe gain a slight edge if you get hemmed in and need a way to build momentum against a larger empire. As it stands, you most often get hemmed in long before habitats are available. They basically just let you stomp your competition harder, rather than act as a way for an underdog to get an edge.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

deathbagel posted:

When this comes up the suggestion is usually that you get meh habitats early and you can ramp up to the current amazing habitats.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

gently caress habitats, make early terraforming easier.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.
You know what I really want with terraforming and habitats (and, to a lesser extent, expensive ships)? Payment plans.

It'd be loverly in the early and mid game if I could pay for the cost of things over the duration of its build time rather than a lump sum all at once.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Conskill posted:

You know what I really want with terraforming and habitats (and, to a lesser extent, expensive ships)? Payment plans.

It'd be loverly in the early and mid game if I could pay for the cost of things over the duration of its build time rather than a lump sum all at once.
That would be so convenient.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Splicer posted:

When this comes up the suggestion is usually that you get meh habitats early and you can ramp up to the current amazing habitats.

Maybe if you scale the buildings on early small habitats back also, because if I could build cheap 6 slot +60ish energy batteries over every non-inhabited planet in every system I control I would still totally do that, then use all that energy to trade for minerals and be an unstoppable juggernaut. I'm already always super stoked when I find 3+ energy spots that I can mine, early habitats would make mining stations useless.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Just started my first insane difficulty purifiers game...and this is the start I got. Legit did an evil laugh as soon as I seen it.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

A Tartan Tory posted:

gently caress habitats, make early terraforming easier.

It would be great if the first tech let you change moisture or climate, but not both. That way you could make a bunch of worlds more habitable from the get go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

quote:

use the parrot mod that wiz hates

Even worse there's one that removes the snailien's bit of hay!

• Locked thread