Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Tony Abbott says in a party that “doesn’t practice Stalinism”, he should be free to comment on the Turnbull government.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Tony Abbott says in a party that “doesn’t practice Stalinism”, he should be free to comment on the Turnbull government.

horseshoe theory

both sides do it

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Birdstrike posted:

horseshoe theory

both sides do it

You... You're from the Ocelot unit of Spetsnaz! What's a GRU soldier
doing here?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/Rob_Stott/status/857103295990689797

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

Gorilla Salad posted:

I stand corrected.

Don't know where my head was at when I wrote that. If anything Dutton is ten a hundred times the nazi Ellis is.

After all, Ellis only ever threatened to cut off the fingers of children, Dutton overseas their torture.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Gorilla Salad posted:

This is the best thing going around right now that doesn't involve that lovely nazi cop :munch:

What's so good about it? You don't actually think he's going to be adversely affected for saying any of this poo poo, do you?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

What's so good about it? You don't actually think he's going to be adversely affected for saying any of this poo poo, do you?

It got to the stage where Bolt was telling him to put up or shut up. I can't imagine it's doing much for him.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://www.domain.com.au/news/home-buyers-who-could-never-afford-to-buy-get-into-market-one-brick-at-a-time-20170427-gvseiu

This week in domain continuing to pretend there isnt a property crisis

Time shares and a clusterfuck of property claimants with hints of ponzi

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
Because not everything in this country is about Nazis I present

Wait, it is all about Nazis isn't it?

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It got to the stage where Bolt was telling him to put up or shut up. I can't imagine it's doing much for him.

Something about counting chickens

https://twitter.com/theboltreport/status/857160444276088832

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Seeing as we're counting chickens I can't wait to find out these chickens are Nazis

https://twitter.com/7NewsSydney/status/857200849302429697

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

Gorilla Salad posted:

I stand corrected.

Don't know where my head was at when I wrote that. If anything Dutton is ten a hundred times the nazi Ellis is.

After all, Ellis only ever threatened to cut off the fingers of children, Dutton oversees their torture.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

gently caress me dead. I'd say it's depressing the coalition keeps speaking voters as though they're children, but I guess they're not wrong.

Federal Treasurer Scott Morrison wants Australians to think of the country's debt as either "good debt" or "bad debt", and will change the way it is reported in the budget.

quote:

Mr Morrison will use a speech to the Australian Business Economists to make the case for distinguishing between the types of government spending.

He will tell the lunch good debt increases productivity.

"It can be very wise for governments to borrow, especially while rates are low, to lock in longer-term financing and invest in major-growth-producing infrastructure assets, such as transport or energy," he will say.

He will argue it is time to distinguish between that spending and what he called "bad debt".

"To rack up government debt to pay for welfare payments, Medicare costs or other everyday expenses is not a good idea," Mr Morrison will say.

The budget always reports the country's underlying cash balance, which was forecast to be a $36.5 billion deficit in 2016/17 in the Mid-Year Economic and Fiscal Outlook.

This year, Mr Morrison will also report the net operating balance alongside it, which he said will help Australians distinguish between the type of debt being incurred.

The net operating balance is the difference between the Government's revenue and expenditure.

The Treasurer said it will bring the Federal Government's reporting in line with that of the states and territories, and with New Zealand and Canada.

He will say he will also allocate debt to individual Government portfolios.

"Portfolios will be held responsible for the debts they are incurring for future generations as a result of their expenditure," Mr Morrison will say.

"We all need to understand what is driving the growth in our public debt."

The budget will be handed down on May 9.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

freebooter posted:

"It can be very wise for governments to borrow, especially while rates are low, to lock in longer-term financing and invest in major-growth-producing infrastructure assets, such as transport or energy," he will say. 

But what about the budget emergency and intergenerational theft?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
OUR DEBT GOOD

OTHER DEBT BAD, LABORS MESS

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

freebooter posted:

gently caress me dead. I'd say it's depressing the coalition keeps speaking voters as though they're children, but I guess they're not wrong.

Federal Treasurer Scott Morrison wants Australians to think of the country's debt as either "good debt" or "bad debt", and will change the way it is reported in the budget.

quote:

"Portfolios will be held responsible for the debts they are incurring for future generations as a result of their expenditure," Mr Morrison will say.

This will be purely so they can point at the welfare budget and say we need to slash it hard.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Bogan King posted:

Because not everything in this country is about Nazis I present

Wait, it is all about Nazis isn't it?

I don't understand the superannuation thing that's flared up here. Even the 730 segment about it was unclear. It just seemed like rich white men were pissed off for some reason at O'Dwyer. Maybe because she was female and was pregnant, now on maternity leave.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

starkebn posted:

This will be purely so they can point at the welfare budget and say we need to slash it hard.

I'm honestly kind of shocked they're being so blatant about it. After all of the Medicare stuff at the last election, you'd think they'd at the very least try to be a little subtle about it. Or, hey, even stay away from it for one budget. I don't see any way this could be interpreted other than "they know they're not going to win the next election, and have decided to just do as much as they can on the way out."

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Whitlam posted:

I'm honestly kind of shocked they're being so blatant about it. After all of the Medicare stuff at the last election, you'd think they'd at the very least try to be a little subtle about it. Or, hey, even stay away from it for one budget. I don't see any way this could be interpreted other than "they know they're not going to win the next election, and have decided to just do as much as they can on the way out."

If only Gillard had thought the same thing and gone hard Whitlam in her last 12 months. I guess the difference between the left and the right is the right has gut. Or at least self-entitlement.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

freebooter posted:

If only Gillard had thought the same thing and gone hard Whitlam in her last 12 months. I guess the difference between the left and the right is the right has gut. Or at least self-entitlement.

NDIS is pretty Whitlam? Pity it has been intentionally delayed and mismanaged

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Lid posted:

https://www.domain.com.au/news/home-buyers-who-could-never-afford-to-buy-get-into-market-one-brick-at-a-time-20170427-gvseiu

This week in domain continuing to pretend there isnt a property crisis

Time shares and a clusterfuck of property claimants with hints of ponzi

Luckily nobody buys property to live in.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

freebooter posted:

Problem is good policy and programs need to be managed well over years, whereas cutting and burning can be dumped on the public while you run away to your golden parachute.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

freebooter posted:

Well the problem is the two major parties are either "gently caress the Poor" or "Diet gently caress the Poor".

I am pretty sure the Queensland ALP are going to get hosed this year and they loving deserve it. I'd hope that this would lead to a stronger Greens vote but probably not seeing as the ALP will probably be bent on attacking the Greens

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Recoome posted:

I am pretty sure the Queensland ALP are going to get hosed this year and they loving deserve it. I'd hope that this would lead to a stronger Greens vote but probably not seeing as the ALP will probably be bent on attacking the Greens

I'm cringing pretty hard at a possible swing to ON in QLD.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

starkebn posted:

Caleb's already on the case.

quote:

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/opinion/welfare-is-like-heroin-time-to-cut-the-supply/news-story/c6758e9989eec428e086f6fb97cf547c
PEOPLE want cuts in next month’s federal Budget — 70 per cent of people, in fact, ­according to this week’s Newspoll.

After years of treasurers paying lip service to budget repair, people are ­finally saying it: Get a move on.

Wayne Swan, then Joe Hockey, now Scott Morrison. So many promises, so little delivery. Federal deficits are expected to total up to $400 billion over 12 years to 2020.

Hockey, under the leadership of Tony Abbott, at least tried taking steps towards surplus, but many involved taking more money from people.

Indeed, after promising “tax cuts without new taxes” and “the only party that is going to increase taxes after the election is the Labor Party”, Abbott introduced a deficit levy that pushed the top tax bracket up to 49 cents in the dollar.

Not great conservative policy. And, according to Newspoll, unpopular — only 20 per cent of voters support raising taxes.

But that’s where we hit a snag. See, people overwhelming want budget cuts — and they don’t want to pay extra to pay down the debt — but nor do they want the cuts to affect them.

A significant 61 per cent of voters don’t want cuts to extend to welfare, presumably because they’re profiting from it. Yet about 60 per cent of Australians pay no net tax.

But no pain, no gain. Welfare spending spiralled to $158.61 billion in last year’s budget — almost $6 billion more than the year before. It is more than a third of the federal Budget each year and is the single biggest expense.

It’s time the nation had a discussion about our over-reliance on government money. The rot started with John Howard’s middle-class welfare. Family tax benefits and assistance were extended far up the pay scale, ­introducing a whole new group of people to the poison of government money. The baby bonus put $5000 in the hands of new mothers, simply ­because they’d had a baby.

Kevin Rudd handed out the $900 stimulus bonus, showering money on eight million Australians without them even asking.

No wonder it’s so difficult to wind back welfare payments. Big government, you see, is like a drug. It reaches out its hand, filled with a dirty wad of money and what are you going to do? You’ll take it. Who wouldn’t?

But soon, you’re hooked. One payment isn’t enough. You develop a reliance and you’re begging for more.

Big government is poisonous. ­People clearly know that, because they don’t want to hand over any more taxes. But like a heroin addict who keeps saying he’ll go to rehab, we keep sticking the needle in our arm.

Australians are addicted to welfare. Though it would be politically unpopular, someone has to show the fortitude to wean us off.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Zenithe posted:

I'm cringing pretty hard at a possible swing to ON in QLD.

I cringe at this thought DAILY

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

More like addicted to negative gearing

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Labor will either delay the election and PHON will have devoured itself (unlikely) or PHON will still be doing what it does and win a quarter of the house (likely).

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Recoome posted:

I am pretty sure the Queensland ALP are going to get hosed this year and they loving deserve it.

They do deserve it but no one deserves Tim Nicholls. QLD ALP are probably going to call the election as late as possible. One Nation is likely to implode if not already doing so which destroys the LNP chances massively.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

open24hours posted:

Caleb's already on the case.

:discourse:

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

Recoome posted:

Well the problem is the two major parties are either "gently caress the Poor" or "Diet gently caress the Poor".

I dunno. I don't feel the vibe in the state that accompanies a fall of government. Running Greens numbers on our target seats, and Labor numbers elsewhere, I honestly think there's a good chance of a down-the-line minority Labor Government. 1/2 Greens, 2/3 ONP, 1 KAP, 1 Independent, and 43 LNP and 44 ALP. It'll be tight as get out, but new Compulsory Preferential will help Greens (roughly 80/20 to and from ALP) more than it'll help ONP (which tends to split more 50/50 between LNP and ALP).

Both Cook and Cairns will go back to the ALP, and Nicklin is a coinflip if it'll go ONP or Indi (depending who Wellington endorses).

I'm still confident we'll have an ALP minority with a Left caucus still, and hopefully we can convince Robbie Katter to be less right wing after Knuth is out.

I admit my experience is mostly in the inner city and in Logan but there doesn't seem to be a tide turning against Labor. People seem to be at least okay with Palaszczuk. Most complaints seem to be "do nothing government" or "too much politics, too many inquiries" but noone follows up with wanting LNP back in. People still remember Newman.

Anidav posted:

They do deserve it but no one deserves Tim Nicholls. QLD ALP are probably going to call the election as late as possible. One Nation is likely to implode if not already doing so which destroys the LNP chances massively.

I'm not convinced. I think Labor would be better set getting out a "feel good" budget with a healthy dose of porkbarrelling and launch into a snap campaign. LNP is still a shambles and ONP is dropping candidates like flies. Most sitting Labor members have had big ticket launches to pull donors into a fighting fund, and they've confirmed candidates in pretty much every other seat (the candidate in Maiwar's first name is Ali-Breeze which is the most Paddington name).

Kafka Syrup fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Apr 27, 2017

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

The ALP hosed itself with the Adani mine poo poo. Their lack of strong opinion regarding things like abortion rights is probably not going the help them with the younger demographic

e: I posted this before seeing your reply. You make some good points but we aren't even in the election pump yet

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Bad debt is spending money to make sure people aren't starving or dying. I can't imagine what good debt is.

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

Recoome posted:

The ALP hosed itself with the Adani mine poo poo. Their lack of strong opinion regarding things like abortion rights is probably not going the help them with the younger demographic

e: I posted this before seeing your reply. You make some good points but we aren't even in the election pump yet

I think Labor Left seems to be warming (or at least accepting the inevitability) of working with Greens in State Parliament. Talk of using Greens to get more radical policies past the Right.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Tokamak posted:

Bad debt is spending money to make sure people aren't starving or dying. I can't imagine what good debt is.

Roads.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

good debt is building mines

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

One Nation is mostly contained within the Ipswich area. ALP is only hosed if the plague goes south or inner north while the LNP claws back it's natural Gold Coast stronghold and stabs Brisbane in its cold black heart.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Tokamak posted:

:eng101: it's just a shell game. As long as you have a capital budget bigger than the deficit you only have "good debt"

They are just trying to neutralise the ability for labor to use it as a big mallet around the head

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Let's look at this stupid loving smelly state for a second.

2015 results, soft red is Katter, grey is Independent.

In order for the LNP to win they have to either not lose in the west (lol) or make gains somewhere else to make up for it. Factoring in the ALP also has natural gains to make in surviving Newman era seats that are usually Labor. The new redistribution can also mean a distant possibility of 1 Green gain or more., depending on ground game.

Polls show pretty much all potential One Nation gains are in the west which fucks the LNP much harder than the ALP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

You Am I posted:

I don't understand the superannuation thing that's flared up here. Even the 730 segment about it was unclear. It just seemed like rich white men were pissed off for some reason at O'Dwyer. Maybe because she was female and was pregnant, now on maternity leave.
Well getting pregnant and taking maternity leave is a little like holding out your baby and stealing.

Tokamak posted:

Are there Billionaires starving and dying? No? Therefore bad debt. It's pretty simple really.

And now for the new bike helmet kerfuffle: Kids and mobile phones. What age is too young? How much more can our authoritarian regime push its hentai like tentacles into our private lives? When personal computers were in their infancy (Exidy sorcerer, TRS80 etc) everyone was falling over themselves to get kids involved with technology now it's taboo till 14? On the one hand I get that mobile addiction and phone related sleep deprivation are real issues and there is scant evidence that using a phone makes people better at using technology. In particular developing the skills needed to service that technology but regulating for what should be a parental responsibility?

• Locked thread