Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Bill Nye just traded in his rep for this bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

DapperDon posted:

Yeah but Netflix said they'd give him a tv show where he can yell at people he's mad at, and all he'd have to do is be a terrible host and also plug Netflix original shows at least twice an episode lmao

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

DapperDon posted:

That special actually made me look up Nye on the internet (I just always assumed he was a super scientist).

Dude was a comedian who ended up with a dumb kids show for 4 years. And from that he's just inserted himself anywhere he can. lol

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

DapperDon posted:

Bill right before the skit "This lady has a great message to get out I hope you all enjoy it"

Bill right after "Wow great job this sends exactly the right message"

Bill Nye is actually a anti gay Nazi plant.

But for real though that entire show is literally modern propaganda. Bring the cool soviet posters back.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

spacetoaster posted:

That special actually made me look up Nye on the internet (I just always assumed he was a super scientist).

Dude was a comedian who ended up with a dumb kids show for 4 years. And from that he's just inserted himself anywhere he can. lol

Yea that's another thing. He's not a scientist but people keep referring to him as an expert. Dudes just an actor who made a cool show a lot of us watched in science class.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

spacetoaster posted:

There's a reason they call him the "Bill Nye - The Science Guy" instead of "Bill Nye the Scientist Guy".

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I was just trying to make an on-topic spectrum joke. :smith:

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

:patriot:

Since wireframe sectoids or w/e came up, I was wondering about the plant jars. I don't have a screenshot on hand, but did you ever notice how the top of the jar is curved right? It looks like they capped off a cylinder with a hemisphere, but every loving one has a super obvious seam where the two touch.

If there's modelers or somebody who knows what I'm talking about, what causes this and how should it actually have been done to avoid it?

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
the youtube video of that gave me ptsd and I felt like I needed to spread the misery to this thread as penalty for sperging out over Derek.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Yea that's another thing. He's not a scientist but people keep referring to him as an expert. Dudes just an actor who made a cool show a lot of us watched in science class.

In the US. He's always been a bit of a mystery outside of the US, but; He's one of the few people that could burn his career going after the Climate Deniers, and that has metastasized into a wider defense of reason because Peach pits can totally cure cancer, guys.

NDT also. One of a very small group of people willing to take on the dumbfucks who believe that God is going to step in and moderate temperatures. Seriously. So I'll give him his misses as long as Lamar Smith and James Inhofe draw breath. Hopefully it won't actually kill science programming.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

kingcom posted:

Are you going to answer you question you hack fraud?

Explain this you loving hack.

Your avatar is a perfect reflection of your miserable and empty life.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
go and watch some Feynman to cleanse the palate, one of the most interesting scientists out there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyqleIxXTpw

and an amazing public speaker, I just love listening to everything recorded of him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uY-u1qyRM5w

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Hav posted:

In the US. He's always been a bit of a mystery outside of the US, but; He's one of the few people that could burn his career going after the Climate Deniers, and that has metastasized into a wider defense of reason because Peach pits can totally cure cancer, guys.

NDT also. One of a very small group of people willing to take on the dumbfucks who believe that God is going to step in and moderate temperatures. Seriously. So I'll give him his misses as long as Lamar Smith and James Inhofe draw breath. Hopefully it won't actually kill science programming.

Good news friend. The death of science will not rest on his shoulders since the Trump administration is wiping that out all on their own with nobody that can stop them.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

ManofManyAliases posted:

So is yours.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

ManofManyAliases posted:

I don't believe he was asking about your opinion about his avatar.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

tooterfish posted:

So is yours.

Nuh uh.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
Some sick burns all up in this thread.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Looks like Toast's having a bad day. I wonder what bad news is about to break.

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

"tooterfish" posted:

So is yours.

I see you have him wriggling in the crushing grip of reason there...

(for those who don't get the reference (shame on you) http://www.gocomics.com/calvinandhobbes/1987/01/18 )

Codezombie fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Apr 26, 2017

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

ManofManyAliases posted:

u mad brah

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLBmz2rkcMM

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Posting on page 1111111111

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

DapperDon posted:

Good news friend. The death of science will not rest on his shoulders since the Trump administration is wiping that out all on their own with nobody that can stop them.

Dunno, there's a bunch of out of work scientists wondering what's so difficult about this Politics lark. That's going to provide for some chuckles there. Also, I wouldn't lay this at Trump's door; the GOP has been banging that particular drum since the 1998 Gubernatorial, he's just doubling down on the stupid.

Lladre posted:

Some sick burns all up in this thread.

Man preorders game, gets belt.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

starkebn posted:

go and watch some Feynman to cleanse the palate, one of the most interesting scientists out there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyqleIxXTpw

and an amazing public speaker, I just love listening to everything recorded of him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uY-u1qyRM5w

Nah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkJEt1UsUcs

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Hav posted:

Dunno, there's a bunch of out of work scientists wondering what's so difficult about this Politics lark. That's going to provide for some chuckles there. Also, I wouldn't lay this at Trump's door; the GOP has been banging that particular drum since the 1998 Gubernatorial, he's just doubling down on the stupid.

Man preorders game, gets belt.

I've noticed that as well. My curiosity revolves around at what point do the people just snap at something Trump has done and invoke the time honored tradition the French devised for dealing with people like him.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

DapperDon posted:

I've noticed that as well. My curiosity revolves around at what point do the people just snap at something Trump has done and invoke the time honored tradition the French devised for dealing with people like him.
I don't think making Trump an emperor will help matters at all.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Goddamn that is one old salty bastard.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Pretty sure he was a scientist of some sort at one point.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

ManofManyAliases posted:

Weakest burn of the week.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

thatguy posted:

Weakest burn of the week.
This is impressive considering we've had several guys from FYAD, a Brendan alt, and Derek all having meltdowns here recently.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

How about this weather?

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Hav posted:

Jeff already has a starship;

righteous!! this one is my favourite:

TrustmeImLegit posted:

But for real though that entire show is literally modern propaganda. Bring the cool soviet posters back.

Are you sure commando??

TerraGoetia
Feb 21, 2011

A cup of spiders.
Bill Nor was never a scientist. He has a bachelors in engineering.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Bill Noir > Bill Nye
He's got a trenchcoat, a Saturday night special, and he's smoking under a streetlamp looking out at the rain slick night streets as we speek

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Is everyone trying to tell me that someone isn't who they say are? Next you'll tell me there is some super game developer that has racked in over 150+ million to deliver dreams.

TerraGoetia
Feb 21, 2011

A cup of spiders.
Not even taking that typo back.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Does engineering not count as science?

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

thatguy posted:

Pretty sure he was a scientist of some sort at one point.

Just checked Wikipedia aka Doxxnet. He got a bachelor's in mechanical engineering and worked at boeing for a few years before quitting and becoming a comedian. So not a scientist.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

thatguy posted:

A scientist is usually an academic who conducts research for their university or company.

More importantly they have PHDs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

thatguy posted:

No, slightly different disciplines. Engineering is the application of sciences and relies on success. Science tends to create new information and relies on failure.

There's an apocryphal story of a scientist asked how to counter the Submarine menace during the cold war, 'Boil the oceans' was the reply. 'How?', 'That's an engineering problem'.