Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Argue posted:

Does it also show Henry's side of the story and reveal that his frequent absences were actually spy trips to Russia?

I'm almost expecting that Henry's girlfriend might be a soviet spy and she is trying to recruit and/or use him to milk additional information out of Stan. I'm also expecting Henry to get caught by Stan, have him admit everything, and having Stan ask Phil if he knew that his son was a soviet spy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Grinning Goblin posted:

I'm almost expecting that Henry's girlfriend might be a soviet spy and she is trying to recruit and/or use him to milk additional information out of Stan. I'm also expecting Henry to get caught by Stan, have him admit everything, and having Stan ask Phil if he knew that his son was a soviet spy.

"He does fit the profile perfectly. He's intelligent, but an under-achiever; alienated from his parents; has few friends. Classic case for recruitment by the Soviets."

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

banned from Starbucks posted:

I wonder if the center is recalling Gabriel because they think hes too soft of them. He seems to genuinely care about Philip but then throws those two burns at him as the last thing he'll ever say to him.

I think Gabriel recalled himself because of the whole 'Philip's son' situation. I think there was genuine love and care going on and Gabriel realized he had gotten too close and couldn't keep up that particular lie.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

banned from Starbucks posted:

I wonder if the center is recalling Gabriel because they think hes too soft of them. He seems to genuinely care about Philip but then throws those two burns at him as the last thing he'll ever say to him.

The line about Paige was an apology, not a burn, since that was the big issue Philip and Gabriel were fighting over for a long time. Gabriel didn't really have a choice since Claudia was pushing him on the issue, so he had to hide his reservations and make the case for it when he argued with Philip, but now that it's not his job anymore he can admit that it was wrong. That doesn't actually do Philip any good now, and I'm sure Gabriel knew it would be a painful thing to hear, but Philip had just asked him about his own painful past, so it was an appropriate sort of conversation for hard truths.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

I think letting out his reservations about Paige and concerns about Phillip's state were his way of making some atonement for sending Phillip's son packing without telling him.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

GobiasIndustries posted:

I think Gabriel recalled himself because of the whole 'Philip's son' situation. I think there was genuine love and care going on and Gabriel realized he had gotten too close and couldn't keep up that particular lie.

I agree with that. Gabriel couldn't keep working with Philip while keeping the whole son situation from him.

Whether his comment about Paige was meant as an apology or not, it was obviously devastating to hear. Oh by the way, you were right about it being a bad idea to get your daughter involved in this, of course we're way past the point of no return on that now, byeeeeee.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Gabriel is falling on his sword. This is the only way he can think of to keep faith with Philip, and to honor his oaths and commitments to the State. He's punishing himself on Philip's behalf. And in being forced to do so, in realizing that part of his job is making sure that this guy he loves can't see his own son, he's realizing that while he still believes in the cause, and believes that the work he, and P&E, are doing is right and proper and necessary, he's also suddenly confronted with the idea that the collateral damage can be real and horrible. Better to have kept Paige out of it, for everybody's sakes, then to embroil her in the life. For example, Philip and Elizabeth are both fully aware, and prepared, to die if necessary. Gabriel and Claudia are quite prepared to order Philip or Elizabeth to their deaths if need be. Whatshisface from last season who worked in the virus lab was an excellent demonstration of all this.

Now, though, say Paige becomes a second-generation spy. Gabriel, had he stayed, might have been put in a position of needing to order her to her death, for a cause that is ultimately as meaningless to her as could possibly be. Worse, Gabriel suddenly realizes that Philip or Elizabeth could be put in the same situation. Remember, back in one of the early seasons, P&E were taken by KBG agents and tortured as a routine loyalty test, and even to them, this made perfect sense and was just part of the job. We've seen Elizabeth teaching Paige how to fight. Is she going to teach Paige how to tickle a man's anus while blowing him? How to convincingly fake an orgasm when some guy is beating her with a leather belt? How to screw a guy then turn around and blackmail him? The best methods for keeping track of which disguise and legend you're using with which guy you're banging, and how to schedule them for different days of the week? How to kill your own protégé and trainee by capping him in the back of the head with naught but a shrug and a vague disappointment at the loss of time and effort invested? How to have a genuine conversation with an old lady about kids, life, and all that, before ordering her to swallow a bottle full of pills that will kill her?

It's one thing to have voluntary recruits who believe in what they're doing go through such training. And even then, remember that Elizabeth was raped during training, and it was considered a perk for the trainers to rape the female trainees. Hell, it was probably considered an important part of the training, when you get right down to it.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

TheCenturion posted:

Gabriel is falling on his sword. This is the only way he can think of to keep faith with Philip, and to honor his oaths and commitments to the State. He's punishing himself on Philip's behalf. And in being forced to do so, in realizing that part of his job is making sure that this guy he loves can't see his own son, he's realizing that while he still believes in the cause, and believes that the work he, and P&E, are doing is right and proper and necessary, he's also suddenly confronted with the idea that the collateral damage can be real and horrible. Better to have kept Paige out of it, for everybody's sakes, then to embroil her in the life. For example, Philip and Elizabeth are both fully aware, and prepared, to die if necessary. Gabriel and Claudia are quite prepared to order Philip or Elizabeth to their deaths if need be. Whatshisface from last season who worked in the virus lab was an excellent demonstration of all this.

Now, though, say Paige becomes a second-generation spy. Gabriel, had he stayed, might have been put in a position of needing to order her to her death, for a cause that is ultimately as meaningless to her as could possibly be. Worse, Gabriel suddenly realizes that Philip or Elizabeth could be put in the same situation. Remember, back in one of the early seasons, P&E were taken by KBG agents and tortured as a routine loyalty test, and even to them, this made perfect sense and was just part of the job. We've seen Elizabeth teaching Paige how to fight. Is she going to teach Paige how to tickle a man's anus while blowing him? How to convincingly fake an orgasm when some guy is beating her with a leather belt? How to screw a guy then turn around and blackmail him? The best methods for keeping track of which disguise and legend you're using with which guy you're banging, and how to schedule them for different days of the week? How to kill your own protégé and trainee by capping him in the back of the head with naught but a shrug and a vague disappointment at the loss of time and effort invested? How to have a genuine conversation with an old lady about kids, life, and all that, before ordering her to swallow a bottle full of pills that will kill her?

It's one thing to have voluntary recruits who believe in what they're doing go through such training. And even then, remember that Elizabeth was raped during training, and it was considered a perk for the trainers to rape the female trainees. Hell, it was probably considered an important part of the training, when you get right down to it.

I agree with the general direction of what you're saying, but Paige is supposed to be a deep cover plant with security clearance somewhere, not the kind of covert spec ops assassins Philip and Elizabeth are.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Sinteres posted:

I agree with the general direction of what you're saying, but Paige is supposed to be a deep cover plant with security clearance somewhere, not the kind of covert spec ops assassins Philip and Elizabeth are.

Sure, but nevertheless, if Paige is, say, in Martha's old position, it's not inconceivable that she'd be tasked to sleep with the nerd running the IT shop to get access.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think Matthew grows up to be J. Mascis

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
"And one last thing before I go, Philip. Paige is my daughter, not yours."

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
And I hosed Ted your mom while her husband was busy executing prisoners in the logging camp

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Major Kuznetsov of the Washington Capitals army.

I've long wondered if an FX writer was a hockey fan. I once remember "Kane, Toews, Keith, Sharp" as names of supervisors on a mine chalkboard in Justified just after the Blackhawks won the Stanley Cup.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
haha... he got dumped.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Zero One posted:

haha... he got dumped.

"Not assertive enough" She said to the guy who has murdered 50+ people in cold blood and a few more in semi-fair fights

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Mods change my name to big sex man

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"I just don't see this going anywhere...oh you're married? I can gently caress up a marriage? Now I'm interested!"

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Philip and Elizabeth are now actively setting up Pasha to potentially get his rear end kicked so he goes back to Russia with his mom. :stare:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

CBJSprague24 posted:

Philip and Elizabeth are now actively setting up Pasha to potentially get his rear end kicked so he goes back to Russia with his mom. :stare:

Somehow I think they're going to go too far and Pasha's going to end up in the bathtub with his wrists cut.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Pashas going to try to have sex with the asian kid

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Somehow I think they're going to go too far and Pasha's going to end up in the bathtub with his wrists cut.

If it leads to the wife going "I TOLD YOU WE WERE HAPPIER IN RUSSIA :negative:" It'll be a win. Though for that exact reason it might be the thing that pushes the Jenningses into suicidal despair themselves.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Man, I loved Elizabeth looking at the spot where Phillip put her rapist's head through the wall when she was talking to Paige.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
"So while he was at home shooting people, what do you think she was doing?"

Haha, wow

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Not that i'm complaining but it seems like in episodes 4-8 of every season of this show, nothing happens. I think a shorter season with less windup could benefit them.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

mcmagic posted:

Not that i'm complaining but it seems like in episodes 4-8 of every season of this show, nothing happens. I think a shorter season with less windup could benefit them.

Good news about next season then.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

The Americans S5 - Is she going to teach Paige how to tickle a man's anus while blowing him? | Tue @ 10ET, FX

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
I feel like Tuan is just really lonely (it makes me feel :smith:), and might end up doing something really stupid because of it before this is all over.

So do we think Directorate K (remind me what this is, related to the Center?) is looking into Oleg because of the CIA contacting him, something that happened in D.C., or something else entirely?

mcmagic posted:

Sepinwall seems to think it's this entire season as a whole so far (barring "Lotus 1-2-3") and prevalent in other shows in their penultimate seasons like Justified.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Directorate K is/was counterintelligence. The deeper implications here is that Burov was named by Ames or Hannsen. We're around that time frame historically.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
This episode didn't have a lot of big plot forward motion but holy goddamn it was one of my favorites of the entire series in terms of moving the characterizations along. Philip and Liz went a long way in this episode, poo poo. Both individually and as a couple. I'm starting to hope they might have a happy ending even though logically I doubt it :ohdear:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Stan: "Well, I'm trying not to die before Henry graduates from college."

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I agree that compared to other seasons, less has happened and especially with regard to any sort of action. But where this might be a detriment to other shows, it's still as thrilling as ever here - it feels like they're going for a super slow burn this season.

The scene with Stan, Aderholt and the mole specifically was loving outstanding. There was this really weird sense of uneasiness throughout.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Profanity posted:

I agree that compared to other seasons, less has happened and especially with regard to any sort of action. But where this might be a detriment to other shows, it's still as thrilling as ever here - it feels like they're going for a super slow burn this season.

The scene with Stan, Aderholt and the mole specifically was loving outstanding. There was this really weird sense of uneasiness throughout.

It's less action, and less extra characters. Note how a season or two back, they made the title sequence much longer to accommodate all the extra names.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
It probably doesn't help that several plots feel aimless -- Phillip's son let directly to Gabriel's departure, but it's not clear if either was worth the time the season spent on them. Several other plots (Tuan, Stan's GF) are spent waiting for the other shoe to drop, and then there's the frustration of whatever or wherever the Oleg plot is going.

I'm not saying that any of these plots are purposeless, that's not clear. But I feel like none of them are exactly worth the time the season has spent on any of them, particularly the many, many scenes featuring Mischa.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Open Source Idiom posted:

Phillip's son let directly to Gabriel's departure, but it's not clear if either was worth the time the season spent on them...and then there's the frustration of whatever or wherever the Oleg plot is going...

...But I feel like none of them are exactly worth the time the season has spent on any of them, particularly the many, many scenes featuring Mischa.

Well, I strongly doubt we've seen the last of Mischa (or Gabriel for that matter), but let me make a case for something regarding the Mischa and Oleg plots: I think the writer's realized they wanted (needed?) to show the current situation in the :ussr: more then they did with Nina. Like outside of a confined place like a prison (or whatever it was). So, we spent a lot of time with Mischa's escape from the USSR/Eastern Bloc, which was kind of a big deal and a big ordeal for many, many people. We're now also spending a lot of time with Oleg and seeing things like food availability issues due to corruption or how even a party member and government official has to assent to a search of his home/quarters. All of this from a particularly Soviet perspective and originating from inside the USSR, which aside from Nina, we hadn't seen a lot of or at all if I'm remembering correctly. (I'm not counting Rezidentura scenes because those didn't originate from behind the Iron Curtain.)

All of this is to add further (and maybe necessary) contrast to the differences between life in the United States versus life in the USSR for all of our characters.

I don't think it's a waste of time. Would they be doing this if this was the final season, or if they didn't already know they're getting a final fifth season and had to hope for a renewal? Probably not.

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also
This episode was huge in terms of the character development. Jesus. What a breakout in cinematography and acting. Liz/Paige, Stan/Russian chick, etc. I'm constantly in awe of this show, and this episode is one stellar example of just how good TV can be. Just give Keri and Matt all the Emmys. And throw in one for Holly too.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
Can we assume that the final conflict resolution is going to be between Phil/Elizabeth and Stan?

I mean it's obviously going bookend to the series, but I don't think there will be any bloodshed. Does Stan bring them in? Will they both slowly come to realize how flawed the institutions they fight for and both of them shurg it off and go about their lives? I'm betting the catalyst for the final story arch will be when Stan's girlfriend turns out to be working him and the Jennings get involved somehow.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Stan is probably going to have a "Kobayashi Porcelain" moment of realization, but Liz and Phil will be long gone before anything can be done.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I'd imagine Pasha's situation is giving both Phil and Liz pause about Henry should they have to GTFO of the US.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

maniacripper posted:

Can we assume that the final conflict resolution is going to be between Phil/Elizabeth and Stan?

The way those three characters are currently going, it wouldn't make much sense for them to face off - they're both firmly stepping into territory where they're doing things because they're good for humanity, not because they're patriots. Like if Stan found out, he'd be thinking "there's so much good we could do together", not "welp I guess they're Unpersons now"

e: Which is to say, if I were to make a bet, I think that resolution would be in the form of Stan "bringing them in", but not "serving them up"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

precision posted:

The way those three characters are currently going, it wouldn't make much sense for them to face off - they're both firmly stepping into territory where they're doing things because they're good for humanity, not because they're patriots. Like if Stan found out, he'd be thinking "there's so much good we could do together", not "welp I guess they're Unpersons now"

e: Which is to say, if I were to make a bet, I think that resolution would be in the form of Stan "bringing them in", but not "serving them up"

Counterpoint: How Stan reacted when he thought Phillip was schnogging his (ex?)wife.

• Locked thread