Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

CascadeBeta posted:

As someone who has had this game sitting on their account since launch bit never really gave it a fair shot, how hard is it to get into now a days?

I bought it like a month ago and I kick rear end? Just don't be dumb pretty much.

The number of operators isn't really a huge problem, its not like DOTA where you get killed by all this poo poo you don't expect. Most of the DLC ops are just alternate takes on things the default ops could already do, just tweaks.

Honestly the hardest thing about getting into the game right now is map knowledge. There's a ton of maps now because they keep pushing out cool updates, and the maps are REALLY well designed, but... they're complicated and there's a lot to learn about them. Lots of gotchas. Especially since this game is all about being able to rappel up walls and reinforce walls and shoot through walls and blow holes in walls and walk through holes in walls and walk through holes in ceilings and... you get the picture.

But really just play on casual and if you're not poo poo at FPS you'll do fine, and then you'll pick up the flow of the game and the maps, and eventually you can head into competitive.

Stick with your teammates, do what they do, cover them, shoot baddies. When you die watch your teammates from their point of view and learn what they do, see what they see, or alternatively control the cameras/drones and do callouts for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Hard posted:

Should change around the same time as challenges reset i think. Around every Monday/Tuesday 12:00AM EST ?

If you have the starter edition theres a new pop up notification the first time you log in after they changed.

Starter edition is an abomination, might have been good if the game launched with it but it seems like it dupes people into a shittier experience given the huge sales.

CascadeBeta posted:

As someone who has had this game sitting on their account since launch bit never really gave it a fair shot, how hard is it to get into now a days?

It's plenty easy to get into, the only downside to not having played since then is you'll need to get familiar with the maps and poo poo that have come out since then and you'd probably have to resort to spending money to get the operators that have come out since now and then if you want to play them.

Maybe some kind of free rotation for non-starter owners would be good?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

lohli posted:

Maybe some kind of free rotation for non-starter owners would be good?

I think that'd be a good idea. Also the ability to test drive an operator and decide if you want to buy it would be nice, although they really just want you to buy it first, find out if you like it later :v:

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Will there ever be a sale on elite skins?

Hard
Jul 31, 2005
Kid Napalm

lohli posted:

Starter edition is an abomination, might have been good if the game launched with it but it seems like it dupes people into a shittier experience given the huge sales.

The abomination is how i still love you even after all the poo poo you're saying.

You get the full game for 1/3 of the retail price and bitch about not having the same ''privileges'' of people who paid full price? Whats some grinding on a fun / no pay to win game when you can start with 4 ops.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Hard posted:

The abomination is how i still love you even after all the poo poo you're saying.

You get the full game for 1/3 of the retail price and bitch about not having the same ''privileges'' of people who paid full price? Whats some grinding on a fun / no pay to win game when you can start with 4 ops.

Starter edition is a great idea in itself and more games need to offer alternatives like that so poors can get in the game and fill servers up even if they can't afford $60.

The problem is the full version of the game regularly goes on sale for like $25, that's when I picked it up finally, so compared to that you kinda get a raw deal. If that's how they're gonna do it, starter edition needs to go on sale for like $5 tops.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Hard posted:

The problem is that the base game goes on price for almost the price of the starter pack, so while the starter edition is a pretty great deal for poopsockers who want to save $45, because of the big discounts every couple of months it's not such a great buy, if people could upgrade from the starter edition to the regular one for the price difference so that folks with the starter edition could upgrade for the price difference on the sale price(when things are on sale, of course) I wouldn't have any complaints, but folks that go "this grind is a little too much, I might drop more money on the game" would need to make up the price difference in clancy shekels that relates to the non-discounted base price. Maybe give the starter guys a discount on buying the non-dlc dudes they're missing when the base game is on sale?

I actually forgot the exact prices but I think the point is well made. Also I still love you bby

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008
Ok after giving the game a proper multiplayer spin last night, I really enjoy it. Even tried some casual rounds and did better than my team, but most games seemed to be carried by one person on either team.

Still haven't picked my two operators yet and holy poo poo is the trash renoun for the starter edition aggrevatingly slow. Do I just buy the year 2 pass when I'm ready? Does it ever go on sale? Do I need to watch steam or the ubi store?

Hard
Jul 31, 2005
Kid Napalm
15$ is also not a big loss compared to 60 if you get bored after a while.

One of the problem with upgrading to the ''regular'' edition of the game for let's say a fixed price is that if at any point you would have spent money into r6credits and decided to buy an vanilla OP, you would have lost money at the end of the line.

A good alternative to converting to the regular game is to buy r6credits and buy all the vanilla ops since every single other thing in the game is the same price for everybody. DLC ops, skins attachments etc.

As for the starter edition going on sale every time the full game goes i can hardly imagine it happening since first parties don't always have their say when websites/steam decide to do a sale.

e:

DeliciousPatriotism posted:

Ok after giving the game a proper multiplayer spin last night, I really enjoy it. Even tried some casual rounds and did better than my team, but most games seemed to be carried by one person on either team.

Still haven't picked my two operators yet and holy poo poo is the trash renoun for the starter edition aggrevatingly slow. Do I just buy the year 2 pass when I'm ready? Does it ever go on sale? Do I need to watch steam or the ubi store?

Speaking from facts here and not some insider information. Season passes rarely goes on sale. SP Year1 went on sale near the end of the year as a ''last chance to get before it's too late'' but everyone that plays the game regularly will tell you to get it ASAP if you're ever planning on getting it. If not, enjoy the game, save your renown for the DLC ops as i said above since they are the same price for everyone and wait for the vanilla ops to be on sale before getting them. I know it's cool to have all ops unlocked but trust me when i say you don't need them all right away.

Hard fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Apr 25, 2017

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Hard posted:

15$ is also not a big loss compared to 60 if you get bored after a while.

A big problem is that with that $15 version someone is more likely to get bored because of the grind.

The game is fun and good but most people are not going to want to play recruit or the same two guys for 30 hours until they can unlock a new guy.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Wait, do starter edition suckers not have the ability to upgrade to the full game for the price difference? If not, why the hell not?

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Hard, why did you let starter edition become a thing?

Edit: Also, why did you let Glaz buff become a thing?

Jehde fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Apr 25, 2017

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008
I dipped in and just bought enough moneybux top get teh ATK and DEF packs, it rounded out to the normal price I think. It took me a while to fully understand how the game currency sytstem works but I kinda like it. Didn't grab any of the DLC operators because ho boy there's a lot going on I gotta learn first.

Also is it a thing for coop to be trolled by bots and TKers all the time.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I feel like Starter plus Season is the best way to start. It gives enough operators to not get bored, and leaves plenty to use while grinding.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Also is it a thing for coop to be trolled by bots and TKers all the time.

You mean Terrorist Hunt? I just play that solo, "Lone Wolf". I never manage to matchmake with people with it. Its kinda a silly warmup mode anyways.

You can pull it off solo, just gotta take your time.

But really Siege is all about multiplayer. Casual or competitive.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
Just bought the game, having fun so far going through the training missions, looking for some goons to play with and want to make fun of a newbie.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Flaggy posted:

Just bought the game, having fun so far going through the training missions, looking for some goons to play with and want to make fun of a newbie.

Download both Mumble and Discord because goons are big loving retards and refuse to choose one. If one is empty (COUGHdiscordCOUGH) there are usually at least one or two people in the other. Siege goons play pretty regularly so you shouldn't have to pub too often.

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

You mean Terrorist Hunt? I just play that solo, "Lone Wolf". I never manage to matchmake with people with it. Its kinda a silly warmup mode anyways.

You can pull it off solo, just gotta take your time.

But really Siege is all about multiplayer. Casual or competitive.

I been playing it for warmups, learning maps and learning operators. Also its a fun palette cleanser when I'm getting stomped in multi.

Plus any time I get the suburban house map I just do tachanka and swiss cheese all the drywall all of it.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I been playing it for warmups, learning maps and learning operators. Also its a fun palette cleanser when I'm getting stomped in multi.

Plus any time I get the suburban house map I just do tachanka and swiss cheese all the drywall all of it.

You can also setup custom games to run around alone for ten minutes. I do this every time a new map comes out to learn cameras and angles.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Admiral Joeslop posted:

You can also setup custom games to run around alone for ten minutes. I do this every time a new map comes out to learn cameras and angles.

Yeah same, its real nice they let you do that. Lots of games won't let you actually start a custom match if there's only 1 player which is dumb. Let me get my bearings.

I only wish you could set the round length to something absurd like 30 minutes so you can really learn cameras and angles at your leisure.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

They do let you have ten rounds of ten minutes with a fifteen second setup time. Thirty would be great though.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Admiral Joeslop posted:

They do let you have ten rounds of ten minutes with a fifteen second setup time. Thirty would be great though.

Oh nice. I must have missed where those options are then, I didn't think you could do that in this game.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Oh nice. I must have missed where those options are then, I didn't think you could do that in this game.

https://streamable.com/8zoav

There are way too many clicks for me to bother explaining in words. I may be wrong on the rounds or they're in another section.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I'm back to this game and immediately I click the arrow when I want to click the name of the mode. Every single time. It's bad interface I tell ya

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
drat, a couple of nights ago a friend of mine (Rottenflieger) and I started up R6S after nearly two months of not playing any FPS' at all, and these two rounds happened. Neither were aces exactly, but for someone as rusty as me, (as the only FPS I've played in ages is Siege, and even then, I haven't played it much in the last 3-4 months or so...) I thought it went alright, as my first foray into the game in a while! At least I'm not total poo poo after this time, haha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTUh1wU1dYo (NOTE: Feel free to ignore my "I WONDER WHERE THEY ARE!?" :hurr: comment, since we had a glitch all match where the objective would be in the exact same room for both sides, haha)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXOKdhWE-Fs (DOUBLE NOTE: Taz/Tazo is my doggo, who's a 30-35kg Greyhound who can stand up, put his paws on a 6'1" person's shoulders and look 'em square in the eye...so yeah, the stray Maremma I mentioned is uh, quite big!)

So there you go, that's the story of my return to Siege. Hopefully nobody who (actually bothered to waste their time watching my Shadowplay vids) felt that their time was being wasted too much! :D No refunds offered though, either way (and don't judge me for screwing up my blackeye throw in that second vid!)

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H60M0jCVj1I

Reason behind a lot of WTF killed me deaths. The very first bit of the video is Pulse being killed by a rapelling Ash he cannot see at all.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Carecat posted:

Reason behind a lot of WTF killed me deaths. The very first bit of the video is Pulse being killed by a rapelling Ash he cannot see at all.

I love you for posting this, it explains so much. What awful loving game design.

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

Carecat posted:

wow that explains a lot.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I think I'm gonna shelf this game for a few months. Ranking system is broken. Amount of smurfs I encounter ruins the experience. I spend a day or two in Silver, having a blast, but typically winning a majority of matches cause enemy skill is quite low, so it's not that satisfying. I then bump up to Gold and spend a gruelling day or two getting absolutely owned, having 0 fun and generally feeling like poo poo / raging / tilted. I feel like I can't compete at all in Gold, and most of my kill cams consist of me thinking "How the gently caress was that person there", etc etc. This cycle repeats itself over and over.

My friend and I finally had enough today, I doubt we'll play it anytime soon. Most games end up with us leaving feeling annoyed and frustrated. Rocket League ranking system is perfect, because the divisions feel fair and you always feel like it's an even playing field, even if you're a good player, there's still a chance for the opponents to get one up on you without it ever feeling like absolute bullshit.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
stop looking at the little jpeg next to your uplay avatar and go taze some ppl in their buttholes

the game becomes a lot more fun when you experiment with comedy options. try shooting a downed enemy with doc's syringe for maximum lols

e: also start using shotguns and LMGs to spam wallbangs. when it finally works its the best poo poo ever

Thief fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Apr 26, 2017

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
What he ^ said. Rocket League just has less opportunities for bullshit.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Loopoo posted:

Amount of smurfs I encounter ruins the experience.

Loopoo posted:

I love you for posting this, it explains so much. What awful loving game design.

i seriously doubt either of these are actually factoring into more than like 2% of how your games turn out. but yes, it sounds like a break from siege would be a good idea for you

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Maybe they're not smurfs, but the skill difference isn't fair. I'm not absolutely retarded, I took all the advice posted in here: I drone a lot, listen for sounds, communicate with the team (thanks Ubi for making your VOIP broke as gently caress, every mic is a whisper), try and reposition as much as possible so enemies can't peek and instant kill me when they spot me on their drones. That works great when people are evenly skilled, but most of the time there's one or two people who are just leagues above everyone else. I'm not saying this cause I'm tilted or raging, it's just genuine fact; a lot of matches I play are always completely uneven and one team will run away with the win whilst the other has to fight tooth and nail to even get one round win. Am I the only one experiencing this? It's never happened where I'll play a bunch of games and have each game be evenly matched. I either curbstomp with my teammates and win 6 games in a row, or I'll be curbstomped and continually lose games.

We had one dude play as Caveira every defender round and he was wiping the floor with everyone. As Attacker, he'd be Hibana and just carry the team. It's no fun playing against because you feel so defenseless and no amount of try-harding works.

I dunno man, it's hard to do goofy poo poo in Ranked or Casual when most of the time you get immediately shut down. It's really sad cause I absolutely love this game and the tactical side of it is so insanely satisfying when it works, but there's too much frustration regarding a heap of aspects. Awful queuing problems, where you'll be sitting in lobby and have to continually search for a new match until it works, feeling a lot of the time you're completely outmatched, joining a game and being stuck in the loading screen and having to alt-f4 out of it (granted this only happened once, but everyone had to alt-f4), the peeking advantage where someone can kill you before you even register them on your screen.

If Ubi focused on fixing these issues instead of churning out more goofy headgear and uniforms and DLC operators, it'd be an amazing game.

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?
The peeking thing honestly isn't the issue you are making it out to be. I was really frustrated by it as well, but once I got it drilled into my brain that defenders are going to always try to have the most advantageous angle possible, it became less of a problem. I remember to use my drone to scout potential deathtraps now rather than poke my own head out. I prefire (fire my gun as I peek out) to cover myself if I know an enemy is watching the angle. Most of the time, I simply try to get a different angle. Flanking is your friend, and you've got numerous tools to get it done.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
a helpful thing to remember is that 2 minutes is a relatively long time in this game

i see countless players die halfway through a round because they aren't pacing themselves and generally just getting impatient.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Carecat posted:

Yeah this is a huuuuuge gently caress-up in a tactical shooter. Wow.

Loopoo posted:

I think I'm gonna shelf this game for a few months. Ranking system is broken. Amount of smurfs I encounter ruins the experience. I spend a day or two in Silver, having a blast, but typically winning a majority of matches cause enemy skill is quite low, so it's not that satisfying. I then bump up to Gold and spend a gruelling day or two getting absolutely owned, having 0 fun and generally feeling like poo poo / raging / tilted. I feel like I can't compete at all in Gold, and most of my kill cams consist of me thinking "How the gently caress was that person there", etc etc. This cycle repeats itself over and over.

Welcome to competitive gaming? C-strike is the exact same thing dude.

If you don't like that just play casual, duh.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Casual is even worse. It's where the Plats go to let off steam.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Getting that "ugh I am bad" vibe.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

April 26 2017

The day Siege became Just Too Hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
A Day of Infamy, if you will.

• Locked thread