Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I just want to say that back when the signings and contract extensions happened I was surprised that Steven Adams got more of the pie than Oladipo and thought that was kinda dumb and man I was wrong on that one (jesus christ both those contracts are big tho).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
https://twitter.com/MicahAdams13/status/857076340360708101

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

zelah posted:

Speaking of petty, I would really be amused if the Spurs ended up falling apart/dumping Aldridge in the next year or two.

Repost from 2013,2010,2008.....

attackmole posted:

I just want to say that back when the signings and contract extensions happened I was surprised that Steven Adams got more of the pie than Oladipo and thought that was kinda dumb and man I was wrong on that one (jesus christ both those contracts are big tho).

Adams contract is fine. It's not great but it's fine. Pair him with 1 good wing defender and you have close enough for a top-10 defense, so for a big man that is generally worth 20% of your cap.

The Oladipo one seems bad to me. He's like a B&D, ball handling and defense. I don't know the value of that from the 2 but I don't think it's 20% of the cap.

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?

Lockback posted:

Adams contract is fine. It's not great but it's fine. Pair him with 1 good wing defender and you have close enough for a top-10 defense, so for a big man that is generally worth 20% of your cap.

The Oladipo one seems bad to me. He's like a B&D, ball handling and defense. I don't know the value of that from the 2 but I don't think it's 20% of the cap.

What really sucks is the freaking stupid trade the Magic did with the Pistons. Wouldn't it have been better to have traded Ibaka for Tobias Harris?
Imagine if that had been the trade and OKC resigned Dion on a one year contract.

Edited to say i think the defense would still be crap but having Tobias and Waiters would solve the offense problem when Russ is out.

chilihead fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Apr 26, 2017

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

All the responses are saying "serves em right for turning leftist" and I have no idea what they're talking about? Are they just mixing up neoliberal corporate identity politics with leftism? Or were there broadcasters on at 6pm saying that the next time there's a lockout the teams need to be nationalized and removed from the hands of greedy rentier billionaires? Their highlight shows at this point are basically reposting all the top reddit videos so I don't really know what purpose the network serves.

Dexo posted:

Joking aside I'm not saying Westbrook is doing anything wrong. I love watching him play for the most part, and I would also vote him MVP.

But I think Beverly kinda has a point when it comes to holding him to 7-21 or whatever he held him to.

It's like all those dudes winning Finals MVP off the strength of holding Lebron to like 35/8/8.

I think in the last few minutes of those games Westbrook basically defended himself. Painful to watch his shot selection and refusal to pass.

Does anyone know what Westbrook's stats show if you remove the last 5 minutes of each game when his play turned into a head-in-hands watching-your-heroes-embarrass-themselves cringing monstrosity? I thought he looked great up until then, even though I do despise his pull-up jumper (beautiful form, extremely inaccurate)

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Lockback posted:

Adams got found out as a lovely defender after Presti cut Ibaka loose. That was the guy who could defend. Adams has zero lateral foot movement, he's just a big goon and he hasn't put in the effort to improve in the offseason, and Houston drove right at him without mercy, never mind Kanter. Also, he's afraid to shoot the ball because he has no shot. And Kanter's been outright garbage the latter part of the season.

Billy Donovan has had 2 years with this team, and granted, last summer was a hella uproar, but I don't think he's that much of an improvement over Scott Brooks- if any. Also, in 20-20 retrospect, Presti dumping Ibaka after that guy had a huge playoff was also maybe part of the reason Durant left. So I'm taking back my defense of Sam Presti from a few days ago.

I think Dion Waiters going to Miami for chump change and then blossoming into a real gem of a player says worlds about the Thunder org, and I'm not too thrilled about what it says.

/rant /vent

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

EvanTH posted:

All the responses are saying "serves em right for turning leftist" and I have no idea what they're talking about? Are they just mixing up neoliberal corporate identity politics with leftism? Or were there broadcasters on at 6pm saying that the next time there's a lockout the teams need to be nationalized and removed from the hands of greedy rentier billionaires? Their highlight shows at this point are basically reposting all the top reddit videos so I don't really know what purpose the network serves.

Just like Sarah Palin blamed the downturn in NFL ratings on Colin Kaepernick rather than presenting an increasingly inferior and ad-saturated product, people are using this as an opportunity to air personal grievances against liberal media. The layoffs have nothing to do with politics (they fired Ed Werder!) but more that ESPN is hemorrhaging subs because, like you said, the internet is usurping their role and also their programming sucks.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
A few pages ago there was some quote from Kristaps about how this season was worse, taken out of context in order to make the Knicks even more of a joke. The interview is translated here by a reddit dude:
https://www.reddit.com/r/NYKnicks/comments/679w9w/porzingis_press_conference_in_liepaja_translated/

quote:

Can you tell us differences between you first and second seasons?

Kris: I think the first season was more enjoyable. It was my first time, everything was new and interesting.

And it went by so fast. I think the result was pretty much the same, we won one or two games more in the first year. But the overall atmosphere on the team was much more positive.

This year(2nd one), expectations were higher, so when we weren't able to meet expectation, it took a hit on us. Overall mood in the team was a lot worse. But I can take some positives out of it too. It was a experience, and a needed one. For me as, perhaps, a future leader, I learned a lot.

What about next season on the Knicks? Where will you start to think about it? Whats the situation at the moment? If Phil calls you, will you be picking up the phone?

Kris: As I've been saying. I try to think about things step by step. So the next step is the National Team. 3rd season is faaar away, now the priority is my conditioning and readiness to play for NT and the Knicks.

Were there a lot of moments when you were frustrated that you didn't get the ball?

Kristaps tries to answer, but Janis interrupts him.

Janis: Nah, Kristaps doesn't do that. We as brothers were pretty emotional, though.

Kristaps: Yeah, there was a time when we played on the road, and my family was together watching the game in my apartment, and someone got pretty hot, and broke the TV. :D looking at Janis

Carmelo is a leader, and has a big ego. Also Rose and Noah two big names joined the team this year. How did that impacted the locker-room?

Kris: It definitely added some character. Noah is emotional guy, who always was playing in the right system, so he knows how to play the right way, and doesn't want to play differently. And perhaps, we need more guys like him. It was just hard for him, that he couldn't play on the level he wanted to.. So it was hard for him to be a leader. Carmelo, is a really chill dude, pretty much nothing can fire him up, and Rose is just quiet, he doesn't talk at all.

So yeah, Noah was the guy, especially in the beginning of the season.. He was trying to help the guys, told coaches what to do.. It was a hard situation. But he couldn't impact some stupid decision we made as a team.

Noah didn't play on the level we all expected too.. but he was the guy who could tell someone things he didn't want to hear.

Phil Just opted in another 2 years with the team. Do you think you will be in NY while you are on your rookie deal?

Kris: To be honest I don't know much about the deal. How many years I have left? Its a better question to Janis I think.

Janis: This isn't a very appropriate question. Kris still has a deal with NY, he was drafter there, and he wants to spend his career there. End of story.

Pretty much exactly why I'm fine with Noah on the team and think more of him than Rose and Melo. The "my client will not answer that inappropriate question" stuff from Janis is kind of interesting and weird but likely good that he has a media buffer? I don't know.

Mr. Mambold posted:

I think Dion Waiters going to Miami for chump change and then blossoming into a real gem of a player says worlds about the Thunder org, and I'm not too thrilled about what it says.

/rant /vent

tbf the Thunder weren't the only team where he looked like a trash joke. Here's that video of him screaming at LeBron to pass the ball:
https://vine.co/v/OHDjYbBiO9q/

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
spurs got a coach, grizz got a t-shirt. gently caress a riley tree

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Can you guys give presti and Billy a full off-season to figure out the post Durant before claiming this and that goddamn

Also why is it that everyone is forgetting that they didn't re-sign dion in order to extend Russ

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

In like 6 years ESPN will just be a 24 hour camera pointed towards Stephen A Smith.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Ever since ESPN fired crazy person conservative Curt Schilling, that segment of the population thinks they have some liberal agenda. I mean sure, Lebatard is pro-labor, but he's on ESPNU while their flagship is the ultra-straightlaced and dad take friendly Mike&Mike.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Paul Zuvella posted:

In like 6 years ESPN will just be a 24 hour camera pointed towards Stephen A Smith.

ESPN is just short for E-Stephen

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
p.s. Former laker and current gulenist/Rockets supporter Marc Gasol can eat exactly five dicks
I got em prepared with coleslaw and lard, classic southern cuisine

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
The dream is dead

https://twitter.com/KCJHoop/status/857249888438034432

https://twitter.com/KCJHoop/status/857251258570244096

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Mr. Mambold posted:

Adams got found out as a lovely defender after Presti cut Ibaka loose. That was the guy who could defend. Adams has zero lateral foot movement, he's just a big goon and he hasn't put in the effort to improve in the offseason, and Houston drove right at him without mercy, never mind Kanter. Also, he's afraid to shoot the ball because he has no shot. And Kanter's been outright garbage the latter part of the season.

Billy Donovan has had 2 years with this team, and granted, last summer was a hella uproar, but I don't think he's that much of an improvement over Scott Brooks- if any. Also, in 20-20 retrospect, Presti dumping Ibaka after that guy had a huge playoff was also maybe part of the reason Durant left. So I'm taking back my defense of Sam Presti from a few days ago.

/rant /vent

The Thunder had a good defense with a frontcourt of Adams and mostly Sabonis. Houston made them look bad, but they made every defense look bad. Adams is a good paint defender, you don't need to be switching everywhere on the court to be good, the most important place to defend is right in front of the rim.

Also, Brooks has been pretty good in Washington so I don't think he's a bad coach. He has his weaknesses but I don't think he was the awful coach people made him out to be.

Dion Waiters looked bad in Cleveland too, I think his Miami renaissance is more a testament to Miami than a strike against OKC.

Aside, a good Zach Lowe article on how Boston has been minimizing the IT defensive problems.
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19243080/zach-lowe-boston-celtics-hiding-isaiah-thomas-vs-chicago-bulls-nba

I think this is also a good article for people to understand how an offensive play doesn't mean "end with this shot at this place" and how offensive players read and react.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Mr. Mambold posted:

/rant /vent

lol, playing the hindsight game on Dion freaking Waiters is some poo poo. There's a reason Miami was able to pay him under $3 million for one year.

I love me some Dion Waiters but let's try to keep the Dion Waiters hype separate from the Dion Waiters reality.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
That said it's pretty hilarious that Oladipo all but morphed into a rich man's Dion Waiters in OKC.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
https://twitter.com/gluckstadt/status/856322830631399424

Read the thread. Incredible stuff.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Metapod posted:

Can you guys give presti and Billy a full off-season to figure out the post Durant before claiming this and that goddamn

I'm torn. I sorta kinda in a way agree with the poster I made fun of a while back. Presti makes a lot of moves that are good value in a vacuum, but the sum total of which have not made for a good team. I think it's fair to evaluate Presti based on the roster that just played, and that roster was extremely not good.

It's gonna be interesting to see what happens this offseason.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

There will never be a stat better than this

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Presti treats objects like players, man

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Waiters was terrible coming into this season and I'm not sure he improved at all aside from having his shots go in.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I'm actually kinda surprised Thunder fans don't randomly hate Derrick Rose, because him winning MVP was why the CBA added the Rose Rule which inflated Durant's original rookie extension from like 75 million/5 years to 90 million/5 years which was part of why they couldn't keep Harden initially.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Everyone should hate Derrick Rose actually

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Metapod posted:

Also why is it that everyone is forgetting that they didn't re-sign dion in order to extend Russ

I'm pretty sure they made Dion his offer, but he let it slide to test the market or some ridiculous Dion move. Presti and Billy had an offseason, they're supposed to be pros too, you know. I'm saying Presti's move to ditch Ibaka, who was the guy who did the dirty work when Russ and Durant went hogwild superstar offense, backfired.

dokmo posted:

Waiters was terrible coming into this season and I'm not sure he improved at all aside from having his shots go in.

lol, yeah like, what kind of fool stat is that, man?

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

more like read the thread title haha

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Regression to the mean. Or a guesstimate that it'll happen. If the process doesn't change but the results do, you might be looking at an anomaly.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Mr. Mambold posted:

lol, yeah like, what kind of fool stat is that, man?

Waiters shot 39% on threes this year, after never shooting better than league average. Do you believe that he is actually a 39% three point shooter, or that this season was an anomalous outlier?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

dokmo posted:

Waiters shot 39% on threes this year, after never shooting better than league average. Do you believe that he is actually a 39% three point shooter, or that this season was an anomalous outlier?

Maybe his increased athleticism through a diligent training program combined with Spo's offense which was benefiting wings and guards all year increased his statistical output

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Dion probably got better, but not as much better as his production implies. This is my hot take.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

dokmo posted:

I want to believe but I can't. He's going to get overpaid for the type of basketball player he really is.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Doltos posted:

Maybe his increased athleticism through a diligent training program combined with Spo's offense which was benefiting wings and guards all year increased his statistical output

That could very well be the case. But is that more likely than a flukey season? No way to know for sure, but I know which way I'd bet.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Strawberry Panda posted:

I want to believe but I can't. He's going to get overpaid for the type of basketball player he really is.

you can't overpay a Star

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I would be the worst stats guy because I would never believe in regression to the mean. It lacks all romance. It's like cheering for entropy.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Punkin Spunkin posted:

p.s. Former laker and current gulenist/Rockets supporter Marc Gasol can eat exactly five dicks
I got em prepared with coleslaw and lard, classic southern cuisine

Eat chain joyboy

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Nick is returning for another year :snoop:

https://twitter.com/FredKatz/status/857276355842592770

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

BWV posted:

I would be the worst stats guy because I would never believe in regression to the mean. It lacks all romance. It's like cheering for entropy.

Humans are very good at detecting patterns, even when the patterns are generated from random data. Humans are also very good at coming up with explanations for why things occurred, even when there is no evidence to support one explanation over another. Combine these two things and you have sports journalism, or journalism in general. Anyone who can suppress these handicaps has a big edge.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Reality is just a story we tell ourselves, man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
"Play" is a generous way to describe what Nick Collison does these days.

• Locked thread