Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Edit: rushed here to post the same thing

Gumbel2Gumbel has a new favorite as of 13:28 on Apr 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is the way that it all falls.
This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

ToxicSlurpee posted:

You can buy bullets coated in pig fat as well as pig fat gun lubricant in America right now for very similar reasons. That, however, is a clever move in marketing; stupid, racist rednecks apparently buy that poo poo up like crazy.

There is also this website which is a dumb move in marketing as it looks like it was made in 1994 by an angsty teenager.

http://www.silverbulletgunoil.net/

Look at this website. Just...look at it. It's like they actively tried to make it as terrible as possible.

So uh isn't this whole project based around validating Islam?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Carl Killer Miller posted:

So uh isn't this whole project based around validating Islam?

Contrary to popular beliefs muslims doesn't crumble into a pile of dust if they are exposed to a pig, neither is it part of muslims beliefs.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Alhazred posted:

Contrary to popular beliefs muslims doesn't crumble into a pile of dust if they are exposed to a pig, neither is it part of muslims beliefs.

Right, but the fact that people do think this, and are marking gun oil to influence, suggests that there would be some sort of tangible consequence for Muslims beyond being killed by the bullet itself. In a small way, it says that Allah will be there to judge them, and will judge them poorly for being tainted by swine, rather than just being sent immediately to Christian hell because Islam isn't true. It's a small, but interesting, thing.

Also, I think this is my favorite part of that page:

quote:

THIS PRODUCT IS FOR USE ON ARMED MUSLIM TERRORISTS ONLY.
WE DO NOT PROMOTE DISCRIMINATION AGAINST ANY RACE OR RELIGION, ONLY AGAINST SAVAGE,MURDEROUS,BABY
RAPING ,MYSOGYNISTIC,COWARDLY ISLAMO-TERRORISTS LIKE ISIS AND AFFILIATES.
Ezekial 25-17

We don't encourage violence on any religion. Except Islam. And it's affiliates.

The misspelling of Ezekiel almost makes me thing it's a parody page, but I know better.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

If you sort through the trash on that page, the logic is that widespread use of this kind of product will disincentivize terrorists from attacking people, to balance out the 72 Virgins thing. Eg there's a remark out there that "Israel uses pig-based lubricants on their busses and makes it known so that ~terrorists~ don't want to risk their 72 Virgins by getting pig into them when they blow themselves up."

So it's not claiming magic powers, merely psychological ones.. It's still dumb as poo poo, but it's not as dumb as you guys are saying.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

CommonShore posted:

So it's not claiming magic powers, merely psychological ones.. It's still dumb as poo poo, but it's not as dumb as you guys are saying.

I see and agree with your point, but it may also be just as stupid as we are saying:

quote:

SILVER BULLET GUN OIL can be used in or on ALL weapons and weapons systems.pour some on the remains of ''suicide bombers'' for the same effect-No Paradise!

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
He's still right though, they want it to be psychological. Let terrorists know what will happen to then if they attack.

It's still dumb since that's not how haram works though.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

SpacePig posted:

Right, but the fact that people do think this, and are marking gun oil to influence, suggests that there would be some sort of tangible consequence for Muslims beyond being killed by the bullet itself. In a small way, it says that Allah will be there to judge them, and will judge them poorly for being tainted by swine, rather than just being sent immediately to Christian hell because Islam isn't true. It's a small, but interesting, thing.

I wouldn't expect any purchasers of those bullets to understand theological implications of their own religion, let alone other people's.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
The drive-in fast food joint Sonic made a commercial with George Custer. :allears:

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/w7Is/sonic-drive-in-custard-concretes-george-custer

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Counterpoint, coating rifle cartridges with pig and beef fat did incite Indians to revolt against the British and resulted in the deaths of 100 thousand Indians.

Leave it to the British to find a way to unite Muslims and Hindus.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

That website is amazing. Their T-shirts go from M to XXXL. The homepage has animated GIFs. The page where you order your gun oil has pictures of guns (just in case you forgot what kind of oil it was and wanted to use it to fry in, I guess?), but the background of the pictures isn't transparent, so pictures are huge white rectangles with a gun in the middle. The orders go to midniterider@silverbulletgunoil.com

You can't buy gun oil with a stars-and-bars sticker on it, but they do sell one with the Gadsden flag.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Krispy Kareem posted:

Counterpoint, coating rifle cartridges with pig and beef fat did incite Indians to revolt against the British and resulted in the deaths of 100 thousand Indians.

That's an oversimplification at best: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Causes_of_the_Indian_Rebellion_of_1857

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Wait...you mean the British did other things wrong too? Who would have thought.

Isn't oversimplification a hallmark of marketing?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Krispy Kareem posted:

Counter-counter point - it was because the cartridges for the Enfield Rifled Musket were packaged in wax paper which the conscripts had to bite and tear as part of the loading procedure, and a rumour spread that the wax paper was made from pork and/or beef, which the Muslims and the Hindus didn't much appreciate being ordered to put in their mouths. Not the same thing.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

CommonShore posted:

Counter-counter point - it was because the cartridges for the Enfield Rifled Musket were packaged in wax paper which the conscripts had to bite and tear as part of the loading procedure, and a rumour spread that the wax paper was made from pork and/or beef, which the Muslims and the Hindus didn't much appreciate being ordered to put in their mouths. Not the same thing.

It's totally the same thing. Do you think they'd be any happier being shot with cartridges containing residual pig and beef fat? I bet they'd be plenty pissed either way.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I would think people being shot have more pressing concerns.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Krispy Kareem posted:

It's totally the same thing. Do you think they'd be any happier being shot with cartridges containing residual pig and beef fat? I bet they'd be plenty pissed either way.

I think that it's the bullet that's the problem there, not the fat. There's no theological significance for a Muslim person who was involuntarily exposed to a minute amount of pig product.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Double Punctuation posted:

Somebody from BYOB is actually posting Pluto alongside The World's Greatest Robot (the plotline it was based on) in the webcomics megathread. It's pretty interesting seeing how different the experience is for someone who read Astro Boy vs. someone going in blind. Of course, Pluto is definitely one of the exceptions.

There's also some great analysis of the 2 versions of the story in the LP thread for Astro Boy The Omega Factor (which is a fantastic ode to much of what Osamu Tezuka was all about, and sits comfortably in the top ten of game boy advance titles)

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
In Islam it is okay to eat pork if refusing to do so might cause any difficulty for one's host. The idea that exposure to pig fat has any theological significance puts those products more against Christianity than they ever will be against Islam.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Somfin posted:

In Islam it is okay to eat pork if refusing to do so might cause any difficulty for one's host. The idea that exposure to pig fat has any theological significance puts those products more against Christianity than they ever will be against Islam.

The rule is basically not to just eat it because you want to. Eating it because your host offered you pork is okay. Eating it because you genuinely didn't realize a meal had pork in it is okay. Eating pork because all you have to eat is pork is okay. What matters is the intent behind eating it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Slime posted:

The rule is basically not to just eat it because you want to. Eating it because your host offered you pork is okay. Eating it because you genuinely didn't realize a meal had pork in it is okay. Eating pork because all you have to eat is pork is okay. What matters is the intent behind eating it.

Wasn't the main thing a practical thing dressed up as theological to improve the chances of people following the rules? Like when living in a desert area you don't want to raise pigs, not because they're "unclean" but because they are one of the few animals who directly compete with humans for the same food due to being ravenous omnivores. Hence all the loopholes. Pork isn't prefered to make a habit of but if it isn't your pig, then fine. Same with seafood/shellfish - no good way to preserve them even when freshly caught somewhere like the Nile, so blanket ban to avoid shady merchants causing food poisoning.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Krispy Kareem posted:

They weren't planning to be shot with it at all, they were the one's doing the shooting.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

Wasn't the main thing a practical thing dressed up as theological to improve the chances of people following the rules? Like when living in a desert area you don't want to raise pigs, not because they're "unclean" but because they are one of the few animals who directly compete with humans for the same food due to being ravenous omnivores. Hence all the loopholes. Pork isn't prefered to make a habit of but if it isn't your pig, then fine. Same with seafood/shellfish - no good way to preserve them even when freshly caught somewhere like the Nile, so blanket ban to avoid shady merchants causing food poisoning.

Basically? Yes. Pigs are harder than most animals to keep free of horrible parasites because they'll just loving eat anything. Fruit? Yes. Vegetables? Yes. Some guy who died in your pigs grazing land? Hell yes. If you're doing things sensibly they're probably not going to compete with you for food though. You'd let them forage on land that it would take a lot of effort to turn into farmland, and toss them food humans wouldn't eat. Shellfish tend to be shoddy even with modern refrigeration technology. Not shocked at all if priests at the time realized something was up with pork and shellfish and just decided to tell people god didn't like it.

Plenty of religious habits have kind of a practical purpose if you look at the time they started. People rage about eating DAT MOSLEM HALAL MEAT without realizing that when it comes to slaughtering animals, slitting the throat with a very, very sharp knife is actually a pretty good way to handle it.

Slime has a new favorite as of 22:21 on Apr 26, 2017

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Praseodymi posted:

They weren't planning to be shot with it at all, they were the one's doing the shooting.

Just doing a round about to the whole, "pig oil bullets are kryptonite to Muslims" thing. There is a historical precedent to other religions getting upset over Western love of unclean meat.

The Hindus and Muslims who were shot by the British were fortunately spared this debate as the East India Company made the switch to non-animal greased wax paper prior to hostilities actually breaking out.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Slime posted:

Basically? Yes. Pigs are harder than most animals to keep free of horrible parasites because they'll just loving eat anything. Fruit? Yes. Vegetables? Yes. Some guy who died in your pigs grazing land? Hell yes. If you're doing things sensibly they're probably not going to compete with you for food though. You'd let them forage on land that it would take a lot of effort to turn into farmland, and toss them food humans wouldn't eat. Shellfish tend to be shoddy even with modern refrigeration technology. Not shocked at all if priests at the time realized something was up with pork and shellfish and just decided to tell people god didn't like it.

Plenty of religious habits have kind of a practical purpose if you look at the time they started. People rage about eating DAT MOSLEM HALAL MEAT without realizing that when it comes to slaughtering animals, slitting the throat with a very, very sharp knife is actually a pretty good way to handle it.

I think not "decided to tell people" but "concluded" that God didn't like it. There's a great bit in Barbara Mertz's Red Land, Black Land about how historians have to fight the temptation to imagine ancient Egyptians didn't really believe all their silly superstitions. After all, the historian reveres these people and knows they were smart, so how could they give in to make-believe? They must have all been pretending for appearances' sake.

Religion was real to people then. It's real to many people now. A certain type of food making people sick was evidence of a message God is sending, that wasn't just a cover story. It's not like these were time travelers with a modern understanding of hygiene they had to repackage in a palatable way for ancient people. They were figuring this stuff out from scratch.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
The whole thing is just massive ego stroking. Pig bullets being a thing because the people who really believe it has an effect are very scared of terrorists. They want some kind of 'security blanket' to reassure themselves they'll ultimately 'win' in the end.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They are just looking for attention or a conversation starter like people that wear I love 9/11 t shirts.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Yeah early religion was typically an effort to explain the world in a way science is meant to. They didn't have the tools for rigorous study of natural phenomenon so they used intuition.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Superstition runs deep, especially when there are a lot of random variables involved. If a fisherman has a great catch some yearsand a horrible ones on other years, he's going to want to feel like he can have control over predicting the outcome.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Slime posted:

Where are you getting this?

Look, haram/halal rules are just as subject to individual interpretation and ease-of-life issues as anything else. And with Islam, there's no single authority like there is with Catholoicism, there are seven different major schools of Islamic jurisprudence *just among the Sunni*. Saying "it's okay to eat pork if your host offered it to you" or "it's okay to drink beer if your host offers you one" is something that some Muslims probably are okay with, just like there are Jews who are happy to eat bacon when out at a diner but keep kosher at home, but as a blanket statement that is *extremely* incorrect or a vast oversimplification. There's a general background awareness that "Look, if it's a life-or-death situation, go ahead and eat pork," but that doesn't extend to "You were at a party and your host was serving pork sausages and would have been impolite to not eat." Generally food prepared by a Muslim or Jew or a Christian, fellow people of the book, is considered okay to eat if the Muslim isn't aware of anything that would indicate otherwise, but stuff that's flat-out haram like pork is haram no matter who's preparing or serving it, and there will be plenty of Muslims who disagree with that and say you should eat it only if you know it's zabiha.

There are significant numbers of Muslim cab drivers who will refuse to transport a passenger carrying alcohol home from the place he bought it. There are others who will refuse to carry a seeing-eye dog. There are Muslim cashiers who have refused to ring up purchases of alcohol or bacon at the supermarket. Those attitudes might be less common amongst Western Muslims, but they exist and are significant. Blanket statements about Islam are just as likely to be wrong as blanket statements about any other religion.

BioEnchanted posted:

A bunch of this is just sociological Just So Stories, kind of like evolutionary psychology. Pigs are useful as food animals *because* they're ravenous omnivores and will happily eat all the poo poo people don't want to eat. The rotten fruit, the carrion, the apple cores, the moldy grain, and they will turn that all into tasty pork. That's a flat-out utility, people can certainly stop pigs from eating the food the people want to eat. These things sound as if they might be plausible, but okay, what's the point of not wearing clothing that's woven from two different fibers? Or not trimming the edges of your beard? For that matter, shellfish are treyf because they don't have scales and fins, but there's no such prohibition in Islam. Shi'ites generally ban shrimp, but other groups don't. Frogs are right out because Mohammed supposedly said "don't kill frogs."

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 23:28 on Apr 26, 2017

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Phanatic posted:

Where are you getting this?

Look, haram/halal rules are just as subject to individual interpretation and ease-of-life issues as anything else. And with Islam, there's no single authority like there is with Catholoicism, there are seven different major schools of Islamic jurisprudence *just among the Sunni*. Saying "it's okay to eat pork if your host offered it to you" or "it's okay to drink beer if your host offers you one" is something that some Muslims probably are okay with, just like there are Jews who are happy to eat bacon when out at a diner but keep kosher at home, but as a blanket statement that is *extremely* incorrect or a vast oversimplification. There's a general background awareness that "Look, if it's a life-or-death situation, go ahead and eat pork," but that doesn't extend to "You were at a party and your host was serving pork sausages and would have been impolite to not eat." Generally food prepared by a Muslim or Jew or a Christian, fellow people of the book, is considered okay to eat if the Muslim isn't aware of anything that would indicate otherwise, but stuff that's flat-out haram like pork is haram no matter who's preparing or serving it, and there will be plenty of Muslims who disagree with that and say you should eat it only if you know it's zabiha.

There are significant numbers of Muslim cab drivers who will refuse to transport a passenger carrying alcohol home from the place he bought it. There are others who will refuse to carry a seeing-eye dog. There are Muslim cashiers who have refused to ring up purchases of alcohol or bacon at the supermarket. Those attitudes might be less common amongst Western Muslims, but they exist and are significant. Blanket statements about Islam are just as likely to be wrong as blanket statements about any other religion.

While true, this is not a useful rebuttal to the peckerwoods going "ARE YEW TELLIN ME IF A MOOSLIM WAS STARVIN AND THUR WAS A PIECE A BACON ON THE GROUND HE WOULDN'T EAT IT?" i.e. the target market for pigbullets. The more important take-away is that any question Mr. MAGA Hat thought of is something Muslims thought of and debated already, because they aren't morons.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Phanatic posted:

what's the point of not wearing clothing that's woven from two different fibers? Or not trimming the edges of your beard?

So you aren't like those heathen Greeks and people know you're of the tribe

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

SpacePig posted:

Also, I think this is my favorite part of that page:

We don't encourage violence on any religion. Except Islam. And it's affiliates.

The misspelling of Ezekiel almost makes me thing it's a parody page, but I know better.

I'm doing a Let's Read of a really horrible pulp novel series written in extreme anger by a guy who took 9/11 incredibly personally. The heroes (who are omnipotent when necessary and have zero government oversight to prevent torture and extrajudicial execution, even of civilians) just spent the latest part of the book hunting down Stinger missile teams smuggled into America, making sure to stuff bacon or sausages in the mouths of the dead or throw dead pigs into their graves.

It's excused as being necessary to scare the Islamic terrorists into stopping their terrorism. It also provide a good lens into the mind of a Trump voter.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
United again,

But now United's drawing ire from customers for a new crime: they've allegedly been involved in the destruction of a set of golf clubs. Australian professional golfer Mat Goggin opened his bag after a flight on United Airlines to find most of his clubs broken in half. "First time in 20+ years I've opened my bag to find this," he wrote on Twitter. "I was going to complain but I must admit I'm a little intimidated by United."

http://www.golf.com/extra-spin/2017/04/25/golfer-finds-his-clubs-destroyed-after-united-airlines-flight

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
"You saw what we did to your clubs, Mr. Goggin. Do you really want to make a thing of this?"

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

More likely all the negative attention has led to the execs kicking downward and instituting a bunch of new policies that make the rank and file people's lives even harder, so they lash out in petty, pointless ways because they're unlikely to get caught.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm doing a Let's Read of a really horrible pulp novel series written in extreme anger by a guy who took 9/11 incredibly personally. The heroes (who are omnipotent when necessary and have zero government oversight to prevent torture and extrajudicial execution, even of civilians) just spent the latest part of the book hunting down Stinger missile teams smuggled into America, making sure to stuff bacon or sausages in the mouths of the dead or throw dead pigs into their graves.

It's excused as being necessary to scare the Islamic terrorists into stopping their terrorism. It also provide a good lens into the mind of a Trump voter.

GET THE WILDMAN ON THE LINE

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Tags, erotica

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

What would cause that sort of damage beyond deliberate tampering? Genuine question because I thought professional golf clubs would not break easily. Bend maybe, but for that many to break?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

What would cause that sort of damage beyond deliberate tampering? Genuine question because I thought professional golf clubs would not break easily. Bend maybe, but for that many to break?

Maybe if the cargo cabin was really cold they might get brittle?