Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

KingFisher posted:

This is pretty good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MOwRTTq1bY

"Scott Galloway speaks at L2’s Amazon Clinic about how Amazon is disrupting retail. Not only has Amazon changed consumer shopping habits, it has changed the relationship between shareholders and investors. Investors are no longer satisfied with steadily growing profits; instead they seek fast growth and strong vision – even at the expense of profitability. See video for insights on the future of brand, Alexa’s effect on households."

Late stage capitalism is loving weird as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

The Sears in south Seattle closed two years ago and just re-opened as an Amazon Fresh pickup center.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

HEY NONG MAN posted:

The Sears in south Seattle closed two years ago and just re-opened as an Amazon Fresh pickup center.

Like a public-facing grocery store or just a warehouse for the delivery service?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Like a public-facing grocery store or just a warehouse for the delivery service?

Public facing. There is a special parking structure you pull into in front then someone comes out with your groceries and you drive away.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

AA is for Quitters posted:

I work for best buy, and get paid costco wages, which is part of why i genuinely like my job most days. There are things I hate about it (which is normal retail stuff, like lovely people), but all my coworkers are for the most part, genuinely happy with their job, or at least if not happy, content. There's actually decent benefits, the discount is dope, (except on loss leaders, since it's tied to cost) and its not a terrible place to work.

Compare that to when i worked for the company back in high school, and they've completely changed the culture of the company. There's still the drive to get everyone to sign up for the credit card, and to shill protection plans, but a lot of the "protection" plans are shifting to straight replacement plans, which has a lot more value - especially on something like a fitbit, where you can spend $30 for the convience of bringing it into the store, and us giving you a new one, compared to bringing it into us and us just shipping it out for service, which honestly, you can do yourself. TVs over 51" we now send someone to your house to repair, rather than have to haul it in to us. There's a reason why best buy keeps actually having quaterly gains - the new CEO realized that paying a living wage, and doing things for the convience of the customer means that we're no longer the amazon showroom. We do free delivery on TVs, and the only place we really gouge you is services, where, really, it's a convience tax - if you don't want to mount your TV yourself, it's expensive as poo poo to have us do it, but if you're that lazy, then the $200 isn't a bad deal.

Ten years ago when I worked there in high school it was completely different - it was a lot of "sell everything you can to the customer, even if they don't need it" and now it's "upsell what you can, but make sure it works for the customer." If a customer really only needs a cheap TV to do presentations with in the office, you don't need to sell them a $4000 4k OLED, you can sell them a $200 chromecast-only 1080p "smart" tv. The only place it seems like we "upsell" is PC, because let's face it, that $150 celereron laptop with 2g of ram is just going to make you hate your life, listen to us when we say if you only want to spend $150 to get a chromebook instead. We now work with your budget, rather than stretch you beyond your means, because we'd rather the customer be happy than be upsold. Happy customers keep coming back, and $150 six times a year is more than $500 once and never again. The culture of how we do buisiness and how we see the customers has changed, because if you just stick minimum wage slaves in there, then yes, the place is going to be the amazon showroom. All my coworkers are actually super knowledgeable on at least their department, so we can actually give you the rundown on *why* we are steering you towards a specific solution. I'm not trying to upsell you when i tell you an N600 router is not going to suit your needs, if you have multiple people streaming at once. I'm telling you that you probably want an AC1750+, and probably a 3200 if you have 3 smart tvs streaming at a time. Unless you have crappy internet, in which case, I'll sell you the N600 because if you're out in the sticks with satellite internet, ain't nothing going to fix that, you don't need a better router, you need to move somewhere where you can actually get more than 2mbs.

Plus, phones. Phones make the company a lot of money. There's a reason we could do $100 off the s8+.

We still have been closing stores, but that's also because we expanded way beyond what was necessary in the past. There is no need for 6 stores in 50 miles. And in store closures, best buy guaranteed a job to like 90% of employees if they moved to a store that wasn't being closed. Because happy employees = motivated employees = people that actually want to help the customer = customers that actually buy poo poo in store instead of online.

This is interesting to read, thanks for sharing. I remember BB was always on the Corporate Death List a few years back, but I'm guessing closing redundant stores and re-focusing to have their employees actually know what kind of TV/phone works for you has improved things. I wish they'd carry computer parts again like they used to back in the 90s though. I've had parts crap out on me on my machine and it'd be nice if I could just drive down to Best Buy and pick up a good power supply/motherboard/etc.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Public facing. There is a special parking structure you pull into in front then someone comes out with your groceries and you drive away.
I'm kind of surprised they have a person do this instead of a conveyor belt or something. Seems like that'd be a way easier thing to automate than drone deliveries.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

axeil posted:

This is interesting to read, thanks for sharing. I remember BB was always on the Corporate Death List a few years back, but I'm guessing closing redundant stores and re-focusing to have their employees actually know what kind of TV/phone works for you has improved things. I wish they'd carry computer parts again like they used to back in the 90s though. I've had parts crap out on me on my machine and it'd be nice if I could just drive down to Best Buy and pick up a good power supply/motherboard/etc.

I know being pro capitalism is pretty politically incorrect here in D&D, but I've recently read two really decent books that go over how certain businesses are really succeeding in the marketplace by re-focusing their company purpose to care more about customers and employees and not focus solely on increasing shareholder stock prices at the expense of everything else.

Firms of Endearment
Conscious Capitalism

Both are really good reads if you think there might be some redeeming merits of capitalism and aren't purely 'full communism now'

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cicero posted:

I'm kind of surprised they have a person do this instead of a conveyor belt or something. Seems like that'd be a way easier thing to automate than drone deliveries.

Are you familiar with a company called Dahiir Insaat?

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Sir Tonk posted:

Late stage capitalism is loving weird as hell
The experiment on those is still being run, but a lot of what investors are doing now reminds me of the Dotcom Bubble, throwing shitloads of money at rapidly-expanding tech brands that haven't proven that they have a profitable business model. We're either going to wind up with the New Economy, or it's all going to explode, and there's the comedy outcome of these highly-disruptive tech companies being disrupted out of their own market niche by other companies.

Solkanar512 posted:

There was a thing on Nightly Business Report (PBS business news) talking about this very issue. They found that despite the issues we're talking baout here, rent had increased slightly and occupancy was stable. Many of the closed stores were being replaced with high end gyms, restaurants and other "experience" based businesses.
Totally anecdotal, but all of the dead mall anchors (and some big box stores) that I've seen replaced have been stuff like indoor raceways and trampoline parks.

glowing-fish posted:

I would say building on a retail complex might save 20% off of building from scratch?
I'm guessing that if it's practical to convert old factories into office space and mixed use, which is pretty common, then it's practical to do the same to a mall. You'd still have to gut the interior, but things like "the Cinnabon kiosk" would cease to exist, mid-mall stores are separated by walls that can be easily removed. Sewer AFAIK isn't actually that big of a problem as malls already have significant sewer capacity for the employee restrooms that you just never see.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

OwlFancier posted:

Are you familiar with a company called Dahiir Insaat?
No?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_4qKt6Wr5w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSgzH66oH28

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQsNktD9zW4

C O N V E Y O R F U T U R E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zMOWg6Adok

S A F E T Y B E D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NyTNOgttfE

M E T A L G E A R

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Apr 25, 2017

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Is Amazon secretly Dahir Insaat?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

SpaceCadetBob posted:

I know being pro capitalism is pretty politically incorrect here in D&D, but I've recently read two really decent books that go over how certain businesses are really succeeding in the marketplace by re-focusing their company purpose to care more about customers and employees and not focus solely on increasing shareholder stock prices at the expense of everything else.

Firms of Endearment
Conscious Capitalism

Both are really good reads if you think there might be some redeeming merits of capitalism and aren't purely 'full communism now'

Haha, you're talking to me, the guy who was screamed at in the Democrats thread for suggesting that running on "full communism now" is actually really dumb/bad and that competition can be a good motivator.

This is good stuff, thanks for the links.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Cicero posted:

They have a person stand outside at the parking stalls and another person standing outside at the store (I presume to receive customers who don't have a car).

They always look miserable and cold.

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
College Slice

I can't wait to spend a night in my personal hell cube!

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

OneEightHundred posted:

I'm guessing that if it's practical to convert old factories into office space and mixed use, which is pretty common, then it's practical to do the same to a mall. You'd still have to gut the interior, but things like "the Cinnabon kiosk" would cease to exist, mid-mall stores are separated by walls that can be easily removed. Sewer AFAIK isn't actually that big of a problem as malls already have significant sewer capacity for the employee restrooms that you just never see.

Old factories and mills are made of brick and steel and have features like windows which are often charming. We've also been programmed to see conversions of those spaces as desirable.

Dead malls are grim blasted hellscapes with leaky roofs and no windows and blueprints unsuited to the living space of real people.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ultravoices posted:

Old factories and mills are made of brick and steel and have features like windows which are often charming. We've also been programmed to see conversions of those spaces as desirable.

Dead malls are grim blasted hellscapes with leaky roofs and no windows and blueprints unsuited to the living space of real people.

You can already put new windows in and replace the roof though. Factory/warehouse/mill refurbishment into housing that's legal instead of the impovised illegal squats such residences are meant to evoke require tons of interior and exterior reworking in the first place to meet living standards.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

fishmech posted:

You can already put new windows in and replace the roof though. Factory/warehouse/mill refurbishment into housing that's legal instead of the impovised illegal squats such residences are meant to evoke require tons of interior and exterior reworking in the first place to meet living standards.

Fair enough. A dead mall close to my workplace just came down after five-ish years of being vacant over the course of the last month. Some of the anchors were originally outposts of downtown department stores and the build quality was charming and could have been spun as desirable if converted. The covered arcades for the stores connecting them were added later and that looked like any pile of random concrete.

But no one wanted to convert that whole pile into something else, despite plans being floated over the years, so they tore it all down and reportedly a multi use development will be going in its place.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Because Vegas decided in the mid 2000s that shopping would displace clubs as the profit centers, they built a ton of shopping (and many other projects were scheduled and never happened), so my instincts with this sort of retailer is to judge it based on how many storefronts here will close.

Bebe is ridiculous. Six stores on the Strip and only one in the suburbs. I wonder why they thought they needed to be in every shopping complex. They could have closed at least two of them, given that one is in kind of a lousy location and two are in malls that are across the street from each other.

H&M only has three stores in the same area (though they don't do outlet malls and you could argue they should have four.)

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

axeil posted:

Haha, you're talking to me, the guy who was screamed at in the Democrats thread for suggesting that running on "full communism now" is actually really dumb/bad and that competition can be a good motivator.

This is good stuff, thanks for the links.

I was definitely not implying you were full communism if that's how I came across. Mainly wanted to post those links after the most recent discussion, and your post was just the most convenient to quote.

I run a small business in an industry that is certainly lacking in conscious capitalism, but I find the concepts applicable and have already seen some small return on investment by changing how we approach projects compared to our competitors.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I feel like the problem is that nice capitalism is successful when there's megacorp dickheads to compete with.
Theres always going to be this race to the bottom. Kind of like how the murderous dictator isn't a feature of full communism now but tends to pop up.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also it still serves to concentrate wealth into the hands of a few while denying agency to the majority of workers. That's bad also.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Yeah regardless of where you fall on the full communism now spectrum, it's reprehensible that treating your employees well and paying them living wages is like some kind of outlying concept for retail companies. Government should have stepped in long ago on this and it's criminal how much wages have been allowed to stagnate in the last thirty years given the growth of GDP.

Capitalism is still plenty awful, even if there's a handful of less terrible companies out there.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Cicero posted:

Coastal California desperately needs more housing yesterday, what's the downside?

Increased water use and transportation/infrastructure issues, mostly. One rainy season isn't gonna turn around the fact we live in a desert.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I forgot to mention earlier but, major shopping centers usually have pretty good public transportation if the area has public transit at all. It's not uncommon in the least for a big mall or something to become a de facto hub for transit routes in suburbia and spread out areas of certain cities.

This feature is one reason that conversions of all or part of a failing mall to purposes like a new county college branch or plain old office space can work out well - students and employees can both travel much easier than to an office park or campus opened in traditional industrial parks or other outlying areas.

One good example of mall-as-transit-hub is the White Marsh Mall outside of Baltimore, MD. The Mall not only routinely serves as the terminus/transfer hub for 4 different MTA Baltimore bus lines going to the northeast suburbs from downtown and other suburbs, it's also used as a Megabus stop for services from a few other cities (so Megabus can avoid the hassles of actually going all the way into Downtown, since they can rely on bus service from White Marsh to handle those connections).

You can check it out here: https://mta.maryland.gov/sites/default/files/MTA-Regional-Transit_0.pdf

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

ultravoices posted:

Converting a mall into residential isn't really practical, converting it into office space probably is though.

fishmech posted:

I forgot to mention earlier but, major shopping centers usually have pretty good public transportation if the area has public transit at all. It's not uncommon in the least for a big mall or something to become a de facto hub for transit routes in suburbia and spread out areas of certain cities.
This is completely true, but might be beside the point since the malls and shopping centers most at risk of failure are the underperforming ones in more remote locations, especially if there's a major shopping center not far away.

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

What happens to all these retail and big box buildings once the business leaves? As much as I wish the real estate could just be turned into parks or gardens or whatever the truth is that demolition is expensive and what ends up happening is the building gets left to rot and crumble, the parking lots crack and weeds come through and everyone just ignores it. Now with the pace accelerating and more and more strip malls closing, do we just have to live with these carcasses of former buildings littering towns or is there a plan to tear down / re purpose?

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Change the rotten buildings with weeds popping through concrete to green brutalism art exhibits. you barely have to change a thing!

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

OneEightHundred posted:

Converting a mall into residential isn't really practical, converting it into office space probably is though.

I've seen both small community colleges and high schools use mall space.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Glass of Milk posted:

Increased water use and transportation/infrastructure issues, mostly. One rainy season isn't gonna turn around the fact we live in a desert.
As has been beaten to death elsewhere, the water issues California has mainly stem from agriculture, not residential use. Plus it sounds like we're talking about relatively dense developments, the kind that are pretty light on water anyway.

As far as transportation/infrastructure goes, same thing, denser = better. Much better to have apartment complexes in cities than push the growth to sprawling suburban tracts at the edges.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

935 posted:

What happens to all these retail and big box buildings once the business leaves?

today, swap meets.

tomorrow, homeless containment zones.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

935 posted:

What happens to all these retail and big box buildings once the business leaves? As much as I wish the real estate could just be turned into parks or gardens or whatever the truth is that demolition is expensive and what ends up happening is the building gets left to rot and crumble, the parking lots crack and weeds come through and everyone just ignores it. Now with the pace accelerating and more and more strip malls closing, do we just have to live with these carcasses of former buildings littering towns or is there a plan to tear down / re purpose?

One abandoned big box strip mall in my hometown area had part of the massive parking lot taken for a senior living apartment tower, and then the strip mall part proper had the interior walls knocked out to form one continuous open space down the length of it. They then moved the nearest permanent flea market into it when its old building closer to Philly was scheduled to be torn down for some other development project.

In the process of moving the flea market, they were able to construct a bunch of ministores inside the building so that the big time sellers basically operate as more typical stores, while still having a ton of space for the hobbyist sellers.

A lot of places though they just get torn down intentionally, or some rear end in a top hat kids do an arson and they burn down of course.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Here's the parking structure for that amazon fresh pickup store

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Does Amazon plan to expand Fresh stores to Texas to compete with Whole Foods, now that Albertsons might buy them?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

935 posted:

What happens to all these retail and big box buildings once the business leaves?

It get converted into something people will go to, or at worst case for storage. Costco abandoned a building in my hometown in 1997, which got converted into a 16 screen multiplex that's still running. By 2000 Costco had built a second warehouse building a half a mile away from it because of course they did.

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

College Slice

dex_sda posted:

Change the rotten buildings with weeds popping through concrete to green brutalism art exhibits. you barely have to change a thing!

Put a ticket booth out front and charge people for an "urban exploration experience".

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Turn the big box stores into weed grow ops

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

OneEightHundred posted:

The experiment on those is still being run, but a lot of what investors are doing now reminds me of the Dotcom Bubble, throwing shitloads of money at rapidly-expanding tech brands that haven't proven that they have a profitable business model. We're either going to wind up with the New Economy, or it's all going to explode, and there's the comedy outcome of these highly-disruptive tech companies being disrupted out of their own market niche by other companies.

The Amazon event being discussed is essentially a #humblebrag that they are succeeding without showing MAXIMUM PROFIT every quarter (they re-invest into themselves as much as possible), as opposed to how places like Sears do it, which is to attempt MAXIMUM PROFIT every quarter while screaming they are not owned and turning into a corncob. That's not really "late stage capitalism," that's good business sense and has been since the beginning. It's the other guys who are going under and trying to drag the economy with them.

quote:

I'd be surprised if this hasn't been posted in this thread yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h78geZglBiQ&t=101s

For the most part they just sit there.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I was tempted to suggest "they get recycled as urbex youtube videos."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ISeeCuckedPeople
Feb 7, 2017

by Smythe

Anubis posted:

Fun look at how bankruptcy can cause a total unrecoverable meltdown even if the numbers look like they might be able to pull out. I worked in Topeka at a place that has been poaching a lot of talent from Payless corporate as of late. During my last week one of the ex-employees was saying how their corporate offices had a broken A/C but they couldn't get any of the local companies to come out and fix it because no one believed that they'd actually get paid (due to previously unpaid bills held up in court). If you can't keep your HQ below 80 in the summer, you might as well pack it up, really. I'd be shocked if payless was still a thing in 2 years, based on the stories I've heard from their corporate people.

Has shoeless always sold lovely off-brand shoes? I remember them selling brand name before...But last time I stepped in it was all lovely offbrand stuff.

I think Shoeless could have done really well if they targetted an upscale market with trendy shoes. Shoe sales for urban shoes have gone up and become more popular over the past few years.