Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tom Perez B/K/M?
This poll is closed.
B 77 25.50%
K 160 52.98%
M 65 21.52%
Total: 229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Nevvy Z posted:

It's almost like you don't know how to read. "Go to wall street" doesn't mean "get paid for a single speech" hth.

Yes, i'm sure Obama will have the same restraint Hillary Clinton did when it came to speeches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/wp/2017/04/26/sanders-and-21-democrats-introduce-bill-to-raise-minimum-wage-to-15-an-hour/

In good news Bernie and prominent Dems are pushing for raising the minimum wage. Hope he keeps ensuring a united party commites to actually helping people. You know despite him being a racist sexist monster.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Nevvy Z posted:

It's almost like you don't know how to read. "Go to wall street" doesn't mean "get paid for a speech at a healthcare conference" hth.

Yeah this speech is in Boston, how could anyone possibly say he went to Wall St

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Mister Fister posted:

Yes, i'm sure Obama will have the same restraint Hillary Clinton did when it came to speeches.

It's clear that you are deliberately misinterpreting his words to make them out to be lies. Why undermine your own argument like that though? I disagree with many posters here on this issue, but i get their arguments. This argument is really obviously bad and disingenuous.

Edit- I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. it's not deliberate. But it's a really bad interpretation of that interview.

frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE posted:

Yeah this speech is in Boston, how could anyone possibly say he went to Wall St

We could go into a detailed linguistic analysis of what 'go to wall st' meant in the used context but I'm not arguing that he meant physically so you can fuckoff with that dumb strawman.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Apr 26, 2017

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Nevvy Z posted:

It's clear that you are deliberately misinterpreting his words to make them out to be lies. Why undermine your own argument like that though? I disagree with many posters here on this issue, but i get their arguments. This argument is really obviously bad and disingenuous.

Isn't that what you do all the time? Also for you to accuse anyone else of being disingenuous. :lol:

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

Nevvy Z posted:

I mean, if you're implying that this is just a one time mulligan for Obama, that's not a very reasonable assumption to make.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Mister Fister posted:

I mean, if you're implying that this is just a one time mulligan for Obama, that's not a very reasonable assumption to make.

I'm not implying anything. That interview has nothing to do with this event and what he said was not contradicted by this event.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

He isn't literally being employed by Wall Street, so he's not going against his word when he accepts hundreds of thousands of dollars from them - something a real human being honestly believes.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Nevvy Z posted:

We could go into a detailed linguistic analysis of what 'go to wall st' meant in the used context but I'm not arguing that he meant physically so you can fuckoff with that dumb strawman.

LOL yeah, you don't mean the literal physical location, that would be ridiculous! You mean an unspecified number of times he'd go to Wall St. and make money, never ever change

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

LOL yeah, you don't mean the literal physical location, that would be ridiculous! You mean an unspecified number of times he'd go to Wall St. and make money, never ever change

:wrong:

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

Nevvy Z posted:

I'm not implying anything. That interview has nothing to do with this event and what he said was not contradicted by this event.

Essentially you want to pedant your way out of this argument.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Mister Fister posted:

Essentially you want to pedant your way out of this argument.

In the context of that article, what do you think the interviewer meant when he asked the president "so you aren't going to go to wall street, make a lot of money?"

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Nevvy Z posted:

lol

these $400,000 from a wall st firm have nothing to do with working for wall st

show me the w-2

honestly that centrists even try to defend the modern day democratic party while getting owned by it is amazing, how easy would it be to just walk away from the keyboard before the Democrats dunk on you again

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mister Fister posted:

Lets pretend Wall St. would be cutting Obama big checks if he sent them to prison and signed regulations that had teeth in it.

This is the craziest thing about this whole dumb argument. It is transparently obvious that, at the very least, a President would probably not receive financial benefits from corporations if he acted to their detriment while in office. So even if you don't accept that politicians are directly rewarded for acting to the benefit of certain corporations while in office, it is at the very least clearly true that, by not acting to their benefit, they more or less ensure they will not receive these benefits.

I can't think of a single logical reason to just not allow former Presidents to financially benefit from certain corporate sectors. It's not like giving people conditions that extend beyond their time working a job isn't a thing; people regularly are legally mandated to not expose information about the firms they work at, etc, so it clearly isn't unusual to make employment contingent on certain behavior after the employment period ends. And, as previously mentioned, it's not like Presidents aren't fully provided for after leaving office. Heck, if it's really important to you that presidents have the option to become turbo-rich after leaving office, there's always stuff like future book deals that don't really constitute a potential conflict of interest while in office.

Almost all the other arguments made by centrists in this thread, even if I disagree, I can at least understand where they're coming from and why they might feel that way. But this is just insane. There isn't a single good reason to not condemn this sort of behavior, if not outright ban it as a condition for accepting the office of President (or ideally Congressional positions as well). As mentioned before, making employment contingent on conditions that apply after the employment period ends is not some crazy, unusual thing. It is a tool we have to help minimize the influence corporate interests have on politicians, and there isn't a single good reason not to use it.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Apr 26, 2017

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

NewForumSoftware posted:

lol

these $400,000 from a wall st firm have nothing to do with working for wall st

show me the w-2

honestly that centrists even try to defend the modern day democratic party while getting owned by it is amazing, how easy would it be to just walk away from the keyboard before the Democrats dunk on you again

"Uhm, when he said 'go to wall street', obviously he meant being hired full time and being physically located on wall street, show me where Obama's desk is!" :smug:

A 400k speech is actually worse, at least i could pretend Obama was toiling away for his pay at some bulge bracket firm or something instead of making that much money in a couple hours.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax
Never forget this beautiful bastard

SSNeoman posted:

I said that if the DNC didn't learn from Kansas I'd change my mind and agree with the OP.

Mr one more chance

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Mister Fister posted:

"Uhm, when he said 'go to wall street', obviously he meant being hired full time and being physically located on wall street, show me where Obama's desk is!" :smug:

Do you think when the question was asked either the interviewer or the interviewee understood it to mean "will you ever accept money to do anything for any firm on wall st ever again"? or do you think they were talking about generally how obama would spend his time after office and whether it would be substantially devoted to a new lucrative career in the finance sector?

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Mister Fister posted:

A 400k speech is actually worse, at least i could pretend Obama was toiling away for his pay at some bulge bracket firm or something instead of making that much money in a couple hours.

:wrong: lololol dunkin on u tards

Nevvy Z posted:

Do you think when the question was asked either the interviewer or the interviewee meant "will you ever accept money to do anything for any firm on wall st ever again"?

lol he's been out of office a little over 3 months

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

lol he's been out of office a little over 3 months

Lol at the idea that how long it's been matters. Look at how you can't even answer the question. There's plenty of good arguments even in this thread made on the topic. The one about the interview is a really really bad argument and you are dumber for trying to support it.

Ylata, that post is awesome and I agree with it except that i'm not mad at Obama for following the rules as they exist.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Nevvy Z posted:

Lol at the idea that how long it's been matters. Look at how you can't even answer the question.

wait, so it's not the location, and it's not the temporal aspect, maybe YOU should tell us what loving Bizarro World interpretation you have here

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Nevvy Z posted:

Look at how you can't even answer the question.

Being paid $400,000 for services rendered by a wall street firm is pretty much the definition of working for someone. I hope this helps you in your quest.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

How loving dense do you have to be to take money for a Wall Street speech when you don't need the money (his memoirs sold for like tens of millions of dollars and someone already posted that presidents have lifelong pensions), when one of the effective attacks on your failed candidate were her Wall Street speeches, and at a moment when the party you're the face of is trying to make itself look more in touch with the regular people who hate WS?

I'm genuinely embarassed that I was irritated by anti-Hillary people before the election.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

wait, so it's not the location, and it's not the temporal aspect, maybe YOU should tell us what loving Bizarro World interpretation you have here

I did. It's pretty obviously the right one. you are just so mad at this money you can't even think rationally about an unrelated interview.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
It's not mysterious why Cantor Fitzgerald is paying 400k, either. They want people to come to their healthcare conference, so they hired the biggest name in government healthcare policy to headline it.

Interesting aside, Cantor Fitzgerald lost like 600 people on 9/11 and they (unsuccessfully) sued the KSA afterword.

The optics are still bad here though. The last thing democrats should be doing is triggering the Sanders wing. Tie trump to Wall Street, not yourselves, dummies.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax
It's pretty obvious that Barack Obama accepting hundreds of thousands of dollars from Wall St firms in exchange for his time in no way means that he is working for them.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

:wrong: all you've done is post the :wrong: emote and tell people they are idiots and :wrong:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
nevvy you can pretend to be as stupid as you want but the interviewer and Obama both understood the question was not "are you going to become a floor trader"

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

Barbe Rouge posted:

How loving dense do you have to be to take money for a Wall Street speech when you don't need the money (his memoirs sold for like tens of millions of dollars and someone already posted that presidents have lifelong pensions), when one of the effective attacks on your failed candidate were her Wall Street speeches, and at a moment when the party you're the face of is trying to make itself look more in touch with the regular people who hate WS?

I'm genuinely embarassed that I was irritated by anti-Hillary people before the election.

I'll give credit where credit's due, at least Obama had the sense to accept these implied bribes AFTER his presidency was over, Hillary thought she could get away with it before even being elected, LMAO.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Raskolnikov38 posted:

nevvy you can pretend to be as stupid as you want but the interviewer and Obama both understood the question was not "are you going to become a floor trader"

edit: realtalk tho that is a rad emote, it actually does improve Nevvy's awful posting slightly

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Oh word? Please demonstrate where in that interview it's suggested that they were tlaking about taking any money from wall street ever.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Nevvy Z posted:

Oh word? Please demonstrate where in that interview it's suggested that they were tlaking about taking any money from wall street ever.

Please tell us what your interpretation is.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Kilroy posted:

if you'll accept nothing less than full acquiescence from the left then it's a joke to consider you allies.

Turns out the Tea Party of Democrats is actually the establishment, not the left.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

That interview was clearly talking about what Obama would do with the rest of his career generally. To see it as a broad promise never to take any money from any financial firm ever, you have to really want to see that.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

JeffersonClay posted:

It's not mysterious why Cantor Fitzgerald is paying 400k, either. They want people to come to their healthcare conference, so they hired the biggest name in government healthcare policy to headline it.

Interesting aside, Cantor Fitzgerald lost like 600 people on 9/11 and they (unsuccessfully) sued the KSA afterword.

The optics are still bad here though. The last thing democrats should be doing is triggering the Sanders wing. Tie trump to Wall Street, not yourselves, dummies.

i like how you disingenuously tried to pretend the 400k wasn't from a financial services firm cause "they're having a healthcare conference"

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Nevvy Z posted:

Please demonstrate where in that interview it's suggested that they were tlaking about taking any money from wall street ever.

you keep saying "ever" like you think this is bound by time or something? like it's been a few months since he left office, did you think the interviewer was implying like in 2 weeks?

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Ogmius815 posted:

That interview was clearly talking about what Obama would do with the rest of his career generally. To see it as a broad promise never to take any money from any financial firm ever, you have to really want to see that.

It's not "never" it's been 3 months.

It's like saying "I'm quitting drugs" and then waiting 2 days and takin a big ol' hit "Well he didn't say WHEN he'd quit"

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Nevvy Z posted:

Do you think when the question was asked either the interviewer or the interviewee understood it to mean "will you ever accept money to do anything for any firm on wall st ever again"? or do you think they were talking about generally how obama would spend his time after office and whether it would be substantially devoted to a new lucrative career in the finance sector?

Nevvy you have backed yourself into the corner of saying "No, when Obama said he wouldn't be working for Wall Street he didn't mean he wouldn't be working for Wall Street"

The entire point of the Pragmatic Centrist ideology is that it means you don't have to bother defending corruption, you just say "Well, it's not an ideal situation, but I'll accept it in the name of [insert unconnected concept here]" and consider the matter closed.

You're trying to defend something it is impossible to defend on ideological grounds, ideologically.

this is not a winning strategy, pragmatic man

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Nevvy Z posted:

what the gently caress do you think president's do Post-presidency if not give speeches and write memoirs

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Ze Pollack posted:

Nevvy you have backed yourself into the corner of saying "No, when Obama said he wouldn't be working for Wall Street he didn't mean he wouldn't be working for Wall Street"

This is a really bad read on the interview and the events in question.

Ogmius815 posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

DaveWoo posted:

Agitation that doesn't go beyond whining about Dems on a message board = apathy

Expressing opinions is now "apathy" and somehow also implies that the person expressing said opinions does literally nothing else to support his/her political causes.

This is an extremely disingenuous argument no matter how you slice it. "Heh you're just whining* instead of making real change" is basically the response once there's no other defense for a person's side of an argument.

*where "whining" literally = "expressing an opinion"

• Locked thread